Author Topic: RAWK Web Development Circle  (Read 49250 times)

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
Re: RAWK Web Development Circle
« Reply #640 on: March 18, 2019, 02:08:44 PM »
Question about applying a style from a stylesheet. I would like to define a number of styles in an external stylesheet with unique names, then call them in html. The idea is to have a base style with defined colours, and then define other details after that. Css tutorials on the web do something like this but with tags like p, h1 or a, restricting this to basic html functions. Can I do it with a tag like stig1?

Are you familiar with classes and IDs within CSS?

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #641 on: March 18, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
Are you familiar with classes and IDs within CSS?

Not within CSS, but I'm familiar with it in VB. If I have an example to work from, then I should understand the concept to make it work. What I would like is something like this:

CSS
stig1 {color
background color}
dump1 {font style
font size}
stig2
dump2, etc.

HTML
<stig1> // define colour
<dump1> // define font
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #642 on: March 18, 2019, 02:33:38 PM »
You'd either name (class/ID) the font element within the HTML and then define its styling in the CSS. Or name (class/ID) the div the font element is in within the HTML and then define its styling in the CSS.

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #643 on: March 18, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »
You'd either name (class/ID) the font element within the HTML and then define its styling in the CSS. Or name (class/ID) the div the font element is in within the HTML and then define its styling in the CSS.

Thanks. Class does the trick.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Claire.

• The Don. Giving it up for Lents. Too bright for most RAWK users. Getting antsy.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Believer
« Reply #644 on: March 19, 2019, 07:57:02 AM »
What you've suggested will work with custom elements, but for Edge or IE (or probably both!) you'll need to set their display property or they won't play ball.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #645 on: March 19, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
What you've suggested will work with custom elements, but for Edge or IE (or probably both!) you'll need to set their display property or they won't play ball.

Related to that, at what point (when making a website with a small scope) do you stop optimising for niche browsers? I seem to recall that Edge & IE have a combined market share of 4-5%, so say you have a week's development time (random figure plucked from my backside) do you assign to making browsers like Samsung Internet and Edge look crispy?

Offline Claire.

• The Don. Giving it up for Lents. Too bright for most RAWK users. Getting antsy.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Believer
« Reply #646 on: March 19, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »
Related to that, at what point (when making a website with a small scope) do you stop optimising for niche browsers? I seem to recall that Edge & IE have a combined market share of 4-5%, so say you have a week's development time (random figure plucked from my backside) do you assign to making browsers like Samsung Internet and Edge look crispy?

If they're low market share, I wouldn't spend time on them. This is probably one of the biggest changes I made in my current job - when I joined they supported _everything_ and it's pointless, you develop in your core browser and then give you attention to what is sensible - in our case, it's a desktop web app so we ignore mobile and then we support chrome as core, last 2 versions, then we organise the rest into priorities based on users usage and judge what is and isn't appropriate to spend time on based on that usage. If no-one using it, then you're just wasting your own time.

If you're not using data from that product you can always go for a set from caniuse and then reassess when you have data.

Online Kashinoda

• and in the attic - gets biy wath a luttle halp frum hes friends
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ....mmm
« Reply #647 on: May 18, 2019, 01:38:49 AM »
Is there any out of the box / open source 'web app' solution? Just need some basic forms and the ability to return queries.

I need to build something basic to help my mother manage her business, I have a web server with MySQL but I don't have a great deal of time to learn how to do it from scratch ;D I use PowerApps to do this at work but that's out of the question due to Office 365 licensing, and I have tried her on MS Access to no avail!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:40:36 AM by Kashinoda »
:D