Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 118685 times)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #800 on: November 20, 2017, 04:58:40 pm »
That's a really interesting idea.

I guess my problem with that would be that the fingerings for open D are pretty much completely different to standard tunings so it might seem a bit weird to learn a whole other set of fingerings first - although, as you say, it would certainly get you used to the barres across the fretboard.

Going all the way down to C would make the strings really nice and slack and easy to push down though!

So long as you get there in the end it doesn't really matter.

I am so glad I learned to play. I've been concentrating on piano recently but I got the acoustic out for a little play the other day and it was awesome fun. Just having our floors done and it sounded brilliant in an empty room, loads of reverb, or as a producer I once worked with called it 'talent compensator', ha.

Yup - but once you get used to the barres all it takes is to tune to open Dmin, then add the middle finger, then tune to open Dmin7? Add the ringy... (maybe someone can better theorise what I mean)...

I know I know what I mean, but it is essentially adding the fingers one-by-one; this helps build up the fingers one by one. It can be frustrating, but allows players to get a feel for Barre chords with instant gratification. Nothing worse than learning barres and it sounding off - really zaps motivation.

Plus, it is fun as hell to mess about with tunings.

I personally love open C and have my ovation tuned to it - with a little off of the saddle and silk and steel, it gives it a very earthy sound. Also helps with singing - the beauty of it is, as well, you can get away with A-shaped barres and some D-shaped blues barres too.

I tried learning through books when I was young and it is so frustrating as a book is there... well, to be a book; as Clapton said, there are plenty of shortcuts to learning that are not in the interests of the music world. If memory serves,  Zimmerman learned this way and while he's certainly no paragon in guitar technique, he went from fairly novice to seasoned gig-ready in a really short time.

Also, aside of the pissing on fingers, I often find that new players very really use their thumbs correctly. If you position your hand correctly, and clamp the fretboard in the right way, your nose picker naturally sort of... Twists slightly, exposing the boney side of the finger, as oppose to the pads (as the bloke with the kinky finger said). Depending on what school of thought you are from, this can be a good way to start (and I still use more of the boney part today).

Another thing too - Lemon juice can help firm up those soft fingers if piss doesn't sound too pleasing. Drying the skin on the finger by scratching away at it for a few minutes a day will stimulate pad growth; I used to have eczema as a kid and I always found that 'itchy' parts of my skin were always a lot tougher than non-itchy. People can sort of replicate this by lightly scratching away at the finger, as I said, for a few minutes a day. Counter-intuitive, again, and you have to be careful as if you scratch too much, it will actually become dermatitis and your skin goes into a kind of feedback loop. The scratching can cause an itch, which in turn can cause a rash - but can easily be treated with steroid cream (hydrocortisone) and fucidin if things get a little gooey.

Saying that, new players could just as easily get away with applying some steroid cream without everything else - steroid cream can be good for toughening skin up depending on what skin-type you have and applying so little to such a small area of skin, rarely poses health risks (unless you have a reaction to it).

Loads of these little tips around, there is a guy I know who applies WD-40 directly to his fretting hand and fingers - he's been playing country for nearly 60 years and is still going - swears by it - says it even helps with his arthritis and he even claims that it helps with his fretting and action. All old wives tales of course and have never used it myself - but I do wipe down my strings, not fretboard with a little WD-40... it gives them a lovely feel and also changes the tone slightly (not as tinny).

I use natural Sandlewood on my fretboard, as my uncle did - again, gives the fretboard a lovely feel and smell and seems to aid slides and trills and pull-offs. With this though, you need to keep tabs on your actual frets - oil can build up which can loosen them. I have used the softest nail file on my frets too - this is debatable, some people like it, some don't. You have to really go at them for a while, but further allows you to lower that action and get crisp barres - but the opposing arguments say that it gives your guitar rattle and hum - for blues players, this can be a good little thing.

I actually had a friend offer to swap me my Tanglewood Jumbo (with some of the mods mentioned in this thread), with an untouched Takamine, because the tone and resonance sounded far better... I didn't take him up on the offer even though his was by far the better guitar, mainly because it plays just how I want it.

Would be interested to hear what others thoughts are on acoustic guitar mods, as I have to break in a new ovation... I really love breaking a good acoustic in - with my last Yamaha 12 string, I recorded through a Zoom H2 Signe by Clapton, broke it in and re-recorded three months later in the same manner... I definitely noticed a richer and warmer tone after going to work on it... The lows sounded lower and the highs sounded less tinny.

Anyway - I love this thread, haven't spoke in here as much as I like to, but always give it a look when it is knocked up. 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:29:42 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline cg82

• Top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top poster
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #801 on: November 21, 2017, 01:09:35 pm »
Thanks for all the replies and tips folks, definatley a few things I'll try.......will leave the piss option as a last resort though!!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #802 on: November 23, 2017, 07:12:01 pm »
will leave the piss option as a last resort though!!

Haha, I never tried that one. There are loads of ideas about it though, I'm sure I tried superglue at least once ;D

Or you could go the Django Reinhardt/Jerry Garcia/Tony Iommi route of simply getting rid of a few superfluous fingers...probably not recommended...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: May 13, 2018, 07:20:00 pm »
Hiya.

Need to restring my guitar for the first time since I bought it. Can anyone recommend strings for an Epiphone Les Paul and what gauge I should be aiming for (beginner level)?

I'd go to my local music shop but the fella that owns it is a fucking bellend and doesn't deserve a penny from anyone.
So you went with the Les Paul instead of the Strat in the end then? Booo  ;)

Been a while since I was a regular player but, from memory, the lighter gauge strings are the easiest to play. 9s or 10s was what I used to go for personally - easier to bend and to fret - but a lot of it comes down to personal preference really. Any idea what your guitar currently has on it? Think heavier gauge strings hold their tone longer and don't snap as easily. Found that out when I actually performed I broke a couple of strings in my first three gigs, if memory serves - those finger snaps in "Funky Monks" are a killer for guitar strings! Then a mate told me to get heavier ones and I never broke one live again (although I think I played probably a dozen gigs max so it's not a huge sample size) but it definitely required a bit more effort to play. If you alter the tuning of your guitar frequently that might have an affect on string longevity too, and if so the heavier gauge strings might be better for you.

Had hybrids for a while too (heavier gauge lower strings with lighter upper) which worked a treat for heavier, rockier type stuff.

Afraid I have no idea what brand to go for. Doubt the make of your guitar makes too much difference to what strings you should use but it might. Hopefully someone more clued up than me can set you right here. I never had a preferred brand myself, just went with whatever was cheapish and I liked the packaging of when I walked into the shop...

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #804 on: May 13, 2018, 08:04:13 pm »
I'd go to my local music shop but the fella that owns it is a fucking bellend and doesn't deserve a penny from anyone.

Why are music shops so shit?

They should be palaces of joy. I just want to try a guitar. To see if I like it. Don't make out like I'm either A) not worthy or B) going to nick/damage it.

Do most of my shopping online now.

You know what, I switched from guitar to drums as a main instrument nearly 10 years ago, and the difference in the friendliness of small drum shops to local guitar shops was amazing. The drum shop sorted all kinds of shit that would have never been offered in a guitar shop.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #805 on: May 13, 2018, 08:22:02 pm »
I got this just this week

:lickin
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #806 on: May 13, 2018, 09:29:16 pm »
thanks for the detailed reply mate - appreciate it :)

I only went for the Epi because it was ridiculously cheap in the local pawn shop. Paid £100 for it and it's actually a Les Paul standard with gorgeous sunburst finish (and crap strings) and would have cost £500 new.

There's a charcoal Mexican Tele at the moment in the same shop for £200 and it's proving very difficult to resist.

Think I'm going to go for some Ernie Ball 9 gauge - if they're good enough for Jimmy Page and Joe Bonamassa, they're probably good enough for me...
Sounds like you got a proper bargain mate, nice one. Hope the strings work out for you.

And yeah, guitar shops can be weird places, run by weird, miserable men. When we were kids my mate and me used to nick loads of picks out of one just because the bloke who worked there was a right twat. He was probably a right twat because snotty teenagers nicked stuff out of his shop. A vicious circle, really.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #807 on: September 27, 2018, 11:09:41 am »
After a few years of hitting a plateau with chords, I took the plunge and had a first lesson yesterday.

Any experience on what I should be looking out for? I'm playing electric and had mentioned the teacher I was interested in playing in the style of Jack White. He suggested taking me through Ball and Biscuit which was exactly the song I had in mind, so we're off to a good start.

I've picked up some bad habits learning off YouTube (timing, finger positioning, holding the pick) but the benefit has been that I can see how quickly you can go from knowing nothing to playing some of your favourite songs which is motivating.

I'm going to suggest some AC/DC next week.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #808 on: September 27, 2018, 07:19:44 pm »
After a few years of hitting a plateau with chords, I took the plunge and had a first lesson yesterday.

Any experience on what I should be looking out for? I'm playing electric and had mentioned the teacher I was interested in playing in the style of Jack White. He suggested taking me through Ball and Biscuit which was exactly the song I had in mind, so we're off to a good start.

I've picked up some bad habits learning off YouTube (timing, finger positioning, holding the pick) but the benefit has been that I can see how quickly you can go from knowing nothing to playing some of your favourite songs which is motivating.

I'm going to suggest some AC/DC next week.

I need to do this.

I'm far too hard on myself, and I absolutely crave structure.  It's a pain in the arse of a combination that means I'm an absolute nightmare when it comes to independent learning...I'll never allow myself to progress.

Feel like I need a mix of the technical practice (using something like Yousician), some strumming along with YouTube guides, and some lessons that provide guidance and feedback.  Ultimately someone/people to practice with.

Same applies to the language learning.  Duolingo's great for vocab; podcasts for phrases; lessons for the language...but the practice is vital too.

Phoned a local guitar tutor a couple of hours ago anyhow, before seeing your post, so nice one for the extra encouragement!

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: September 27, 2018, 08:03:30 pm »
Phoned a local guitar tutor a couple of hours ago anyhow, before seeing your post, so nice one for the extra encouragement!

Fair play, I can honestly see the benefits after just one lesson. 20 quid for a lesson, figured its a good investment because it's a skill for life and it's something I really get a lot out of. I was nervous before hand, fear of being judged about being a YouTube learning fraud which was ridiculous in hindsight.

I could easily spend that money on a night out and have nothing to show for it, think I had a light bulb moment after hitting 30, need to get a move on and start investing in things I love.

100% agree with you about Duolingo, tried learning Japanese a few years back but without putting yourself out there and potentially embarrassing yourself you'll never get better.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #810 on: October 17, 2018, 10:45:55 pm »
I got this just this week

:lickin

I got similar, only in a Gold.  One piece of advice -  Don't mess with the action, the height of the bridge at the bottom of the guitar.  It can really mess with the sound.
dios esta buena

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #811 on: October 17, 2018, 10:51:04 pm »
I've just ordered some 'Silk and Steel'.  Never played with them before but I wanted something really warm and soft sounding.  This is my last resort.    I want something like a gypsy jazz sound.  Django Rheinhart, like.
dios esta buena

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #812 on: October 17, 2018, 11:06:33 pm »
A friend of mine gave me a Dixon accoustic a few years ago.  She was shagging a famous Liverpool musician years ago and he left it at hers and never came back for it. Its beautiful but needed work on it. The bow is it called is boss. Ive researched Dixon guitars and apparantly they stopped making them because of law suit or something.

Good read.

http://thesecretisgratitude.blogspot.com/2015/01/comparing-guitars-dixon-and-fender.html?m=1
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #814 on: October 25, 2018, 10:54:09 pm »
I imagine that plenty of learners who visit this thread will have used Justin Guitar before - just a heads-up here that his site recently had a revamp and now has a login/dashboard function...well worth a look!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #815 on: November 12, 2018, 04:53:29 pm »
Just bought myself a Boss RC-3 Loop Station pedal online - can't wait to get hold of it and give it a go.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:57:12 pm by jackh »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #816 on: November 12, 2018, 10:51:38 pm »
So I can mash my way through a bunch of songs, but have fuck all dexterity on the fiddly bits. Any tips from the pros in here, or video lessons you can recommend?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: November 13, 2018, 11:21:04 am »
I've taken about 5 lessons so far and it has kept me honest with practicing. I can feel the improvements coming along, I can almost nail You Shook Me All Night Long.

What has helped me was downloading Audacity, opening a song, taking a solo and slowing it down to 2/3rd's of the speed and just repeating it until I'm comfortable. So that could be a 10 second section and just repeating it over and over.

Timing is everything, I might be able to hit the notes but using a metronome/playing along to the actual song is essential.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #818 on: February 7, 2019, 08:09:31 pm »
Got myself a few new bits of equipment recently.

A Boss GT-6 multi-effects (£100). I don't get why people loathe multi-effects... I know there's some shite ones out there, but this is fucking great.

Behringer Vintage Monster (£40). Great little valve pedal that really cranks up the dirtiness of your riffs... Got a few new tubes to go in it and it sounds great.

A no-brand Booster from China (£13). Fantastic little pedal... literally fits in your hand and is ultimately an excellent backup.

Also recently built a couple of new guitars from Chinese kits.

I don't care what anyone says on the internet, these are just as fucking good as the major brands. Once you rejuice your pups and do some tinkering, they're the shit!

Painted it a nice flat British Racing Green with no finish (well, Beeswax polish) and it look superb! I made my own paint from poundland acrylic, plaster of Paris, bit of flour and chalk.

Reminds me a bit of Lennon's Casino before he sandblasted it (but no sheen finish)
Continually on 11,420.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #819 on: February 7, 2019, 10:08:20 pm »
Are there any apps where you can find fellow learners in your area?

Tinder for guitarists ;D

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #820 on: February 8, 2019, 01:30:24 am »
Are there any apps where you can find fellow learners in your area?

Tinder for guitarists ;D

Facebook, depending on your area.

If you're in Liverpool, I saw an advert for something the other day... It was some kind of jam... All levels, I can't quite remember where it was exactly.

In fact, if you are in Liverpool, there's one called Huyton Jam. Dunno what it is like.
Continually on 11,420.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #821 on: March 13, 2019, 06:05:27 pm »
You know that thing when you see something that's too much to spend really, but it's like there and you now need it

https://www.queenonlinestore.com/Brian-May/*/Brian-May-Special-Antique-Cherry-UK/2LIB00000W3

yeah

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #822 on: March 15, 2019, 07:19:36 pm »
You know that thing when you see something that's too much to spend really, but it's like there and you now need it

https://www.queenonlinestore.com/Brian-May/*/Brian-May-Special-Antique-Cherry-UK/2LIB00000W3

yeah
Not sure if know, or not. But Brian May built his 'Red Special' guitar with bits and pieces from an old fireplace, off an old motorbike etc....  8)

https://hackaday.com/2017/06/13/the-red-special-brian-mays-handmade-guitar/
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #823 on: March 15, 2019, 07:24:55 pm »
Not sure if know, or not. But Brian May built his 'Red Special' guitar with bits and pieces from an old fireplace, off an old motorbike etc....  8)

https://hackaday.com/2017/06/13/the-red-special-brian-mays-handmade-guitar/

Yeah and now in love with these copies! I just have to learn to play a bit better first lol

Offline cg82

• Top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top poster
  • Main Stander
« Reply #824 on: April 8, 2019, 01:22:40 pm »
Folks, I know AndyGuitar and Justin were mentioned previously for good Youtube lessons -  I'm not sure if this guy has been mentioned anywhere yet:

David Potsialdo, search for "Song Notes guitar lessons".

I stumbled onto his account by accident at the week-end. Lessons are brilliant.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #825 on: April 8, 2019, 07:39:55 pm »
The debate on what strings you should use on an electric.

Depends on a few different factors. If I could go back and tell my younger self however, I'd be looking at heavier gauge as opposed to light.

Stay with me here - I got a Jap-Strat in my younger years and learning on it was difficult. I didn't like it because it hurt and no-one likes pain.

Years have gone by and I've come to realise that for learning or starting out, I'd be going with 10-11s to toughen my fingers up a bit as opposed to slicing them up with 9s.

Can't stress how important this is - you're not going to pick up a strat and bend like Gilmour on 9s anyhow. So, to me, it makes sense to build up from chords (easier to play with fatter strings).

People starting out want to be learning dexterity, punctuation (in playing a note from begining to end with no artefacts), and speed. These, in theory, should all be easier on fatter strings.

So I can mash my way through a bunch of songs, but have fuck all dexterity on the fiddly bits. Any tips from the pros in here, or video lessons you can recommend?

Mate, take my advice, use DADGAD starting out, and learn chord progressions on the DAD of the strings, while learning bits of lead, turnarounds and also chords on the GAD strings.

Status Quo is a good band to play to as they are probably one of the simplest mainstream bands to learn - they dropped their D's and when you get used to DADGAD, you'll begin to hear a lot of rock and roll songs.

Dexterity will come and this shouldn't be the main focus - the main focus should be learning the relation of notes and chords and how you build up sequences with bits of both. For example - Duelling Banjos is one of the best songs to learn starting out - learn it from beginning to end and make a point of learning it all... Dueling Banjos is like the roadmap to playing rhythm and lead at, more or less, the same time, which is the goal of any guitarist really.

From here, Blackbird is always a good song to learn (in standard tuning, but if you can play it in both, kudos) as it goes through most of the main notes across the board. It also helps with rhythm and timing, as well as sounding like a cracking song to play that everyone knows.

From here, it depends on which way you want to go, but personally, the basic rundowns of blues is a good place to go as the blues is the basis of mostly everything modern in song structure. If you can play the twelve-bar blues, you can already play about 30% of modern songs and that you think of.

The apex of any guitarist should be looking to learning the styles and songs of Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton; there are a few others like David Gilmour, Stevie Ray Vaughn and B.B King... but you could go on for hours of the best guitarists to learn from... The ones I highlight are seen as the biggies... in that, if you recited one of their licks, most would be able to put their finger on it with little or no prompting.

There's one other thing that I feel is never really mentioned, but is probably one of the more important factors of learning guitar. That being, finger excercising!

Get a few rubber bands and go through routines with both hands of having the rubber band around all of your fingers and thumbs and stretching the band like a spider doing pressups. You can do this while watching TV and when you get into the habit of it, you'll understand why I say to do it... A lot of the time when playing the guitar, the two actions you're performing (on your fretting hand) is flexing and sretching. That is it mostly, different speeds and variations produce different sounds, but by-the-by, these are the two fundamental actions you need to physically train.

Using the rubber band method, you can build routines that replicate guitar playing and when you come to rehearse or practice, your fingers will be warmed up and over time, they'll get strong.

Other good exercises are like... if you think of a prawn or lobster... they have about ten digits that seem to continually move in sequence. It is kind of like Dracula's finger movements (Bela Lugosi) and that action, if you do this for a minute or two as fast as you can, this will help warm your fingers up to.

Forcibly flexing and bending your fingers, stretching them, pushing them against the palms of your other hand... Get into a routine that takes about ten minutes per day that you can perform like yoga.

On the guitar itself - if you're looking for warm-up there, a good way to start is to fret and note each string in every position, starting from the lowest to the highest. In sequence, every fret and note and try to get clear ryhtmic notes that are on-time and have good sustain.

Then go backwards.

Then I would have started learning triads of chords. A D E, C F G, D A G (so on and so forth) - the trick here is to learn the changes between those chords and you'll begin to notice well-known songs, and if you do, try to replicate them, or play along with them in your head.

But like anything, it is important to have a structure of learning, a habitable routine, goals and targets. It is better to play for one hour a day than it is to pick up and play for seven hours in one day - as long you keep this in mind, you'll not 'burn' your creative juices out with frustration.

« Last Edit: April 8, 2019, 07:42:03 pm by Skidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #826 on: July 18, 2019, 09:19:54 am »
Bump - anyone here got or played the Sigma GJA-SG200 (J200 copy)? They've got good reviews, and seeing as I can't really stretch to 4k for a Gibson, these look like a good alternative. Wanted that big jumbo sound for practice and gigging. Any thoughts?

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
Learning the Guitar (acoustic)
« Reply #827 on: April 18, 2020, 09:07:13 am »
Didn't see a thread anywhere else and I'm fairly certain there is guitar related info stuff hidden away in other threads so thought I would create a central point for any guitar related info/chat/advice/guidance etc.

Personally I have just purchased one and trying to self teach, I'm shit at it currently but I know 2 chords so its a start. So over to you lot to fill this thread page with your wisdom.  I expect to be playing like David Gilmour by the end of lockdown  :wave

*Nod to Ghost Town & RedDebs for inspiring me to start the thread.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Learning the Guitar (acoustic)
« Reply #828 on: April 18, 2020, 09:18:28 am »
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=168494.0 not been used for a while but worth a read, probably

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: April 18, 2020, 02:57:12 pm »
check out justinguitar. free online lessons and it's structured too. has different lessons for different styles and techniques.

off the bat, i think the big things to learn are

a) chords (the open ones, so A Major, A minor, C major, D major, D minor, E major, E minor, G major) those are the main ones and you can play a lot of songs with just them

b) strumming patterns. Simple ones to begin with. A one used a lot is Down Down Up, Up Down Up (making sure to keep in time with a metronome)

c) little bit of guitar knowledge/theory. e.g names of the strings. (EADGBe) notes on the fretboard - it may be a bit boring but i'd get into looking into the major scale and how important it is(ep2 after the below vid) -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-YkiaALRb54" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-YkiaALRb54</a>

d) figure out a style or what genre/stlye/songs want to play. country/rock/jazz? also do you want to use a pick or play fingerstyle (fleetwood mac kinda sound)

big thing right now is just to get the chords down and memorised then, start slowly changing between them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 03:01:57 pm by Sir Psycho Sexy »

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #830 on: April 18, 2020, 11:04:00 pm »
If i had a pound for everyone i know who wants to learn guitar..  ;D  .. I've been playing over 30+ years, pubs clubs & recording studios etc.

you must really.. really.. really want to, cos it's hard to master just the basic's.. but when you do & strum a few tunes you'll feel the bollock's  8)
Number 1 i think is keep the guitar 'in tune'.. when out of tune it will sound shite & just put you off trying.. buy a SNARK tuner (ebay) i still use one today.
youtube.. 'look for easy 3 chord songs' maybe pay for some basic lessons, it will help you loads, or if you have a mate to show some basics

SNARK guitar tuner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8FaK3963U0
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #831 on: April 18, 2020, 11:45:20 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #832 on: April 19, 2020, 09:38:04 am »
^ what a fucking poser - using the fingerboard BEFORE the capo :D

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #833 on: April 19, 2020, 07:28:56 pm »
check out justinguitar. free online lessons and it's structured too. has different lessons for different styles and techniques.

off the bat, i think the big things to learn are

a) chords (the open ones, so A Major, A minor, C major, D major, D minor, E major, E minor, G major) those are the main ones and you can play a lot of songs with just them

b) strumming patterns. Simple ones to begin with. A one used a lot is Down Down Up, Up Down Up (making sure to keep in time with a metronome)

c) little bit of guitar knowledge/theory. e.g names of the strings. (EADGBe) notes on the fretboard - it may be a bit boring but i'd get into looking into the major scale and how important it is(ep2 after the below vid) -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-YkiaALRb54" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-YkiaALRb54</a>

d) figure out a style or what genre/stlye/songs want to play. country/rock/jazz? also do you want to use a pick or play fingerstyle (fleetwood mac kinda sound)

big thing right now is just to get the chords down and memorised then, start slowly changing between them.
Cheers La
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #834 on: April 19, 2020, 07:47:09 pm »
let music itself guide you too. You learn while having fun if you play along to songs you love!

Note: liking a song like "There She Goes" (G D Cadd9) is a bit easier than "Stairway to heaven"  ;D

Quite a lot of the early months (yes, months) on guitar are 1) being crap and 2) being in pain - these are related. You need callouses and wrist strength for barre chords; ain't no way around that but playing

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #835 on: April 19, 2020, 07:59:52 pm »
let music itself guide you too. You learn while having fun if you play along to songs you love!

Note: liking a song like "There She Goes" (G D Cadd9) is a bit easier than "Stairway to heaven"  ;D

Quite a lot of the early months (yes, months) on guitar are 1) being crap and 2) being in pain - these are related. You need callouses and wrist strength for barre chords; ain't no way around that but playing
That's why I never got far trying to learn.  The pain in my hands, fingers and wrists was unreal but I put it down to playing the piano where basically all the joints and tendons are the opposite way to playing guitar.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #836 on: April 19, 2020, 08:01:11 pm »

That's true , there is quite a lot of pain, frustration and callouses involved early on. However, you don't necessarily need to learn barre chords. I've always favoured open chords and trying to play in different tunings.

Agree though, find the chords of some fairly simple  some songs you like and play along. That's the best way to learn.

Have been enjoying my guitar during the lockdown. Has helped pass the time a lot.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #837 on: April 20, 2020, 11:57:55 am »

i made sure to not mention barre chords  :D

but it is a rite of passage we all have to go through

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #838 on: April 20, 2020, 12:39:54 pm »
When you play, make sure you get your hand position right from the start. Your thumb should be on the back of the neck and you hold your hand and curl your fingers.

If you start off doing this, it'll make things easier in the long run..

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #839 on: April 20, 2020, 01:15:06 pm »
When you play, make sure you get your hand position right from the start. Your thumb should be on the back of the neck and you hold your hand and curl your fingers.

If you start off doing this, it'll make things easier in the long run..

you're right

but still, hendrix loved doing thumb over the top. not what i like doing but for certain songs you kinda need to do it

but yeah, at the beginning, thumb behind the neck