Author Topic: Harry Redknapp  (Read 67335 times)

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
Harry Redknapp
« on: June 5, 2012, 06:08:49 am »
Harry Redknapp facing uncertain future

Oliver Kay Chief Football Correspondent
Last updated at 12:01AM, June 5 2012

Harry Redknapp’s future as manager of Tottenham Hotspur appears increasingly uncertain before he heads into contract discussions with the club’s hierarchy this week.

Redknapp is eager to resolve his future by signing an extension to his present deal at White Hart Lane, which has barely 12 months to run, and has appointed Paul Stretford, Wayne Rooney’s agent, to handle negotiations with the club. But Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, is understood to see little benefit in rushing to offer a new contract.

There is a view among some in the boardroom that the club need to start planning for their future beyond the tenure of the 65-year-old Redknapp. While there is respect for his work in re-establishing Tottenham among English football’s elite, there is some support for the idea of allowing Redknapp’s contract to run into next season before deciding either to offer him a new one-year deal later in the year or looking to replace him with a younger manager next summer.

Should the board show reluctance to commit to a new contract at this stage, it could feasibly be seen as a vote of no confidence in Redknapp.

For his part, the Tottenham manager is reported to have been targeted by a club in Qatar, where there would be a lucrative long-term contract. Last year he admitted to having been tempted by such an offer in 2010 from Al Ahli, the Dubai club.

Redknapp also continues to be mentioned in influential circles in connection with the vacancy at Chelsea. Roman Abramovich still hopes to persuade Pep Guardiola to take that job, but the former Barcelona coach wants time to reinvigorate himself after four years in charge at the Nou Camp. If Abramovich decides on a short-term appointment while waiting for Guardiola, Roberto Di Matteo is a strong contender, but the idea of hiring Redknapp has also been discussed by those around the Chelsea owner.

It adds to the sense of intrigue surrounding Redknapp’s discussions with Tottenham, both about his own future and his hopes to add to the squad. Redknapp has said that the club are close to finalising a deal to sign Jan Vertonghen, the 25-year-old Ajax and Belgium defender, but the manager and Levy have much to discuss regarding their transfer strategy for next season.

Uncertainty persists over the futures of Luka Modric and Gareth Bale, Tottenham’s two most prized assets, although Redknapp has confidently stated that Bale will not move this summer. Modric, the Croatia midfield player, was the subject of a dogged pursuit last summer from Chelsea, who could yet renew their interest along with Paris Saint-Germain and possibly Manchester City and Manchester United.

Redknapp’s working relationship with Levy has often been strained and there remains a difference of opinion over Tottenham’s failure to secure Champions League qualification for next season. While Redknapp believes his team were highly unfortunate to lose their place to Chelsea, the newly crowned European champions, after finishing fourth in the Barclays Premier League with a points tally that no other Tottenham manager has matched in 25 years, Levy was exasperated by their late-season collapse.

Tottenham briefly emerged as contenders to join the Premier League title race after a superb run of form between September and January, but their challenge fell away when they took only six points from nine league matches between February 25 and April 21.

Although Redknapp maintains that the decline had nothing to do with speculation linking him with the England job, for which he was eventually overlooked in favour of Roy Hodgson, the board believes it served as an unwelcome distraction.

Redknapp’s decision to appoint Stretford as his agent has come as a surprise, but the Tottenham manager is understood to have been unhappy with some aspects of his present deal at White Hart Lane.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/tottenhamhotspur/article3435828.ece
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:53:04 pm by John C »
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Redknapp future at Tottenham uncertain
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2012, 07:35:04 am »
Not sure Tottenham would find many managers who could do the same with Tottenham to be honest.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2012, 07:47:25 am »
Not sure Tottenham would find many managers who could do the same with Tottenham to be honest.

The worry is they only need to find one, and the very obvious one would not be hard to find. For that reason alone, I hope they stick with Redknapp.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2012, 07:54:40 am »

Rafa would. Be a shame if he went there.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2012, 09:40:40 am »
Hope they end up with Martinez.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2012, 09:45:29 am »
Using Rooney's agent, he's going to get massive increase on wages.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2012, 09:51:33 am »
4 posts in and Rafa was mentioned.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2012, 09:56:24 am »
The whole Abu Dhabi story is bollocks, everyone in football knows Redknapp has no desire to leave his home in Poole. This looks to me to be a bit of a planted story to ensure he gets the pay rise he wants...

Offline -Q-

• What's the Q for? The workhouse for the poor and the gallows for the left.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2012, 09:57:14 am »
Spurs are in for a rocky time, their best players will be looking to leave - especially if 'Arry looks to be on his way. I don't know what Levy is playing at, he should make keeping his manager a top priority, the likes of Bale might stay if he is there. 

Please let's not turn this into yet another Rafa thread :-X
Welcome to Liverpool Brendan Rodgers
Quote from: Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool Football Club is the heartland of football folklore...     Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game...     I will fight for my life for the supporters and the people of this city

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2012, 10:00:03 am »
Wouldn't surprise me if they he leaves. Levy strikes me as a very astute guy and maybe he doesn't need the headache of Redknapp around. Rangnick is available if they move quickly, or Martinez.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2012, 11:18:26 am »
Rafa won't go there ..... the transfer budget isn't big enough imo

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2012, 11:28:56 am »
Hope they end up with Martinez.
I hope they end up with Moyes

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2012, 11:38:58 am »
The whole Abu Dhabi story is bollocks, everyone in football knows Redknapp has no desire to leave his home in Poole. This looks to me to be a bit of a planted story to ensure he gets the pay rise he wants...

This.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2012, 11:40:51 am »
I hope they end up with Moyes

Now that would be sound. ;D

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2012, 11:48:55 am »
Far larger than ours
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 5, 2012, 11:51:15 am »

Not really sure where a manager at Spurs would need to spend big.

They could do with another CB and a striker, and Friedel won't last forever but theyve got a damn good spine compared to all but the Manchester two.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #16 on: June 5, 2012, 11:52:22 am »

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #17 on: June 5, 2012, 11:53:27 am »

since when Rafa is confused for Maureen?
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 5, 2012, 11:59:10 am »
Not really sure where a manager at Spurs would need to spend big.

They could do with another CB and a striker, and Friedel won't last forever but theyve got a damn good spine compared to all but the Manchester two.

Exactly why they need to spend
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 5, 2012, 12:01:43 pm »
I hope he stays.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 5, 2012, 12:14:48 pm »
Daniel levy is a smart man whose learnt from his mistakes.

Modric and bale going will be massive money for them.more than enough to reinvest.If they are thinking long term it makes sense to let Harry go soon
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline thereader

• Weerrrdapeeepeeehllllllll!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 5, 2012, 12:20:19 pm »
Daniel levy is a smart man whose learnt from his mistakes.

Modric and bale going will be massive money for them.more than enough to reinvest.If they are thinking long term it makes sense to let Harry go soon
What is the point in letting him go unless a real top quality replacement is guaranteed?

Offline kobayashi

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: June 5, 2012, 12:22:33 pm »
Manager Merry Go Round...

If the Russian can't persuade Guardiola, I'd predict Redknapp to Chelsea, Moyes to Spurs, Martinez to Everton.
First match my dad ever took me to was the Mancs Vs Everton. I've supported Liverpool ever since.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 5, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »
Redknapp is a blagger & Levy knows it. He is always going on about taking Spurs from relegation to champions league but the reality is they in two of the last 3 seasons finished in the top 5 & won a cup the season before. If I supported Spurs I would be furious when he comes out and tells the clubs fans 'they have never had it so good' when with the players Spurs have now he has underachieved.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 5, 2012, 12:57:28 pm »
Redknapp is a blagger & Levy knows it. He is always going on about taking Spurs from relegation to champions league but the reality is they in two of the last 3 seasons finished in the top 5 & won a cup the season before. If I supported Spurs I would be furious when he comes out and tells the clubs fans 'they have never had it so good' when with the players Spurs have now he has underachieved.
Exactly how I saw it, he wanted to take all the credit for getting them clear of relegation when we all knew they where in a false position (similar to Arse earlier this season). I think their late season collapse may cost Harry, as I am sure he will want more money and lets face it he has spent a fortune already and Levy is nobodys fool and will play hard ball and will get what he wants and it may not be Harry.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #25 on: June 5, 2012, 01:01:22 pm »
Bet old 'Arry is wishing he hadn't of cock teased the press about the England job for 2 or 3 months now.

Whoever is in charge this summer will have a decent amount to spend though, after Modric and Bale leave

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 5, 2012, 01:04:34 pm »
Levy probably wished Harry got the job. Potentially some great options on the market for Spurs, though. Rafa or Capello would be terrific appointments.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #27 on: June 5, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »
Levy probably wished Harry got the job. Potentially some great options on the market for Spurs, though. Rafa or Capello would be terrific appointments.

The vast majority of club owners and their fans have been brainwashed by Sky Sports and other parts of the media.

Rafa won't get another job in the Premier League as nobody seems to rate him. I reckon he'll be back in Spain at the start of next season, proving all the bellends in this country wrong.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 5, 2012, 01:10:50 pm »
Harry will walk in to the England job in 6-8 month's time when Hodgson is sacked when World Cup qualification goes tits up (compounded by a shite showing at Euro 2012).

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 5, 2012, 01:13:17 pm »
thanks goodness he never came here.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 5, 2012, 01:17:54 pm »
Levy's going to dump Redknapp's arse so hard.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #31 on: June 5, 2012, 01:21:31 pm »
Say what you want about Harry Redknapp, but Tottenham were up shit creek before he took over.

And if he leaves he will be taking his paddles with him. They'll be fucked.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 5, 2012, 01:23:25 pm »
Say what you want about Harry Redknapp, but Tottenham were up shit creek before he took over.

Yeah Martin Jol was fucking awful.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Tarantino Red

• Legacy Fan
  • A$AP
« Reply #33 on: June 5, 2012, 01:25:05 pm »
Spurs will be fine with or without him.

I personally hope they fall badly down the league, but I'm a bastard ;)

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #34 on: June 5, 2012, 01:28:05 pm »
What is the point in letting him go unless a real top quality replacement is guaranteed?

I think half the people at White Hart Lane would be better managers than Redknapp, he's so, so, so shit.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #35 on: June 5, 2012, 01:28:48 pm »
Yeah Martin Jol was fucking awful.

Not sure if your being sarcastic or not.

Anyway they had a long history of being under achievers until Redknapp. Thats exactly what they will go back to.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 5, 2012, 01:29:22 pm »

I know, took a team that was doomed to relegation and got them into the CL.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 5, 2012, 01:30:27 pm »
Not sure if your being sarcastic or not.

Anyway they had a long history of being under achievers until Redknapp. Thats exactly what they will go back to.

But they're still underachieving.

Offline thereader

• Weerrrdapeeepeeehllllllll!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 5, 2012, 01:35:21 pm »
Harry will walk in to the England job in 6-8 month's time when Hodgson is sacked when World Cup qualification goes tits up (compounded by a shite showing at Euro 2012).
Qualification campaign doesn't end until late 2013.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #39 on: June 5, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »
But they're still underachieving.

They got into the champions league last year and only missed out due to Chelsea winning it this year. Its very rare that you would hear anyone say spurs are under achieving nowadays.

The problem Levy has if Redknapp leaves is finding someone else willing to tickle the players balls and tell them all how great they are.

They have always had the players to compete. Just nobody to kiss their arses for them.