Author Topic: Carragher  (Read 21254 times)

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
Carragher
« on: June 3, 2012, 01:56:38 pm »
Simple question - What should his role be at the club from next season?

- Still a first team player, third choice behind Agger / Skrtel?

- Very much fourth choice, with Coates third choice?

- Fifth or sixth choice - with Wisdom, Kelly and Wilson back up to Skrtel, Agger and Coates?

- Coaching role?

- Other?

One of Rodgers toughest tasks this summer is to decide what to do with Carraagher.

Lets have respectful replies please to one of our best players and certainly most committed players the last decade.

For me personally I think Carragher should be given a coaching role.  As I'd rather see a player like Wisdom or Wilson given time in the Europa league or games which don't involve Skrtel or Agger - players who can develop and potentially have a big future with us, rather than Carragher who is clearly past his best.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
Re: Carragher
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2012, 02:00:04 pm »
For me he should be our forth choice centre back, and should play along side Coates in the 'lesser games' in order to pass on some of his advice to Coates. Jamie has done many great things for this club, and helping develop a player who could do big things for us could be another part of his legacy.

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »
Love to see him slowly eased into a coaching role this season. I hope he's ready for that though... Think he can really help develop the likes of Coates and Wisdom.

Online Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2012, 02:04:02 pm »
No, great servant to the club an all that, but his playing days are behind him, his attributes will not fit into a Brendan Rodgers system (I'm sure), and I'm not sure what he would bring to a coaches role at the club, he is the most anti football player I have seen, not interested in putting his foot on the ball and getting his head up, just likes to put his foot through it.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2012, 02:04:15 pm »
Cutting up the oranges for half time.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »
4th choice centreback.

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2012, 02:05:05 pm »
Should be no where near the team, quite sad to see him like it but he should retire. Especially with Wisdom being an option.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2012, 02:05:19 pm »
Fourth Choice. Maybe he could learn quite a bit from Rodgers with a view to go into coaching.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2012, 02:05:36 pm »
I don't think this is really a question any more - very few times last season anyone could put their hand on their heart and say they felt comfortable with Carragher on the pitch. He should be given the option to either join the youth setup and learn the ropes or if he wants to continue playing in any capacity he should look for another club.
My personal preference is to move Kelly to centre back and promote Flanagan to be Johnson's understudy. Either way, it's difficult to justify such a huge drain on the wage bill for someone who is unlikely to even make the bench.

Either way, Rodgers should be backed completely in whatever decision he decides to make.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 3, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »
Ideally, never on the pitch again.
Preferably, fourth or fifth choice.
Probably, first or second choice.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 3, 2012, 02:07:01 pm »
Should be no where near the team, quite sad to see him like it but he should retire. Especially with Wisdom being an option.

I don't think Wisdom is ready to make the step up yet, and he is certainly not better than Carragher i would try get him on loan to a League 1/Championship side.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 3, 2012, 02:07:20 pm »
Wisdom for me needs to start getting in the 1st picture and if that means playing instead of Carra then so be it.

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 3, 2012, 02:08:57 pm »
I don't think this is really a question any more

It is a question because last season Carragher was getting picked over Coates.  He is still getting, presumably, high wages at the club and we have a new manager who might play him, might not.

Rodgers might feel he needs to make a statement by not playing someone like Carragher and using him in his first team plans next season - a new era and stamping his authority.  Then again he might feel Carragher's experience is vital to his new team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carragher was used regularly next season.  Then again I wouldn't be surprised if he was fourth choice or became a coach. 

It is very much a debatable issue.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2012, 02:15:51 pm by Z e u s »

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: June 3, 2012, 02:09:40 pm »
5th choice.

Agger/Skrtel/Coates
Coates/Kelly
Carragher/Coates/Kelly

Wilson and Wisdom on loan if suitable clubs are found

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 3, 2012, 02:09:58 pm »
If he's a starter next season or even third choice there is something seriously wrong. Coates should definitely be ahead of him now.

Offline Crixus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: June 3, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »
He should be talked about respectfully but i don't think i'd want him on the pitch for us. Hopefully a coaching role.

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16 on: June 3, 2012, 02:11:47 pm »
Fourth choice in league games.
Captain in Europa and carling cup games.
Integrated into coaching role if Rodgers is happy with that.
YNWA

Offline Jimmy Two Times

• Two Times. A good fella. RAWK Cricket ODI Draft champion
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 3, 2012, 02:12:22 pm »
4th choice and hopefully getting his coaching badges now.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #18 on: June 3, 2012, 02:12:32 pm »
Fourth Choice. Maybe he could learn quite a bit from Rodgers with a view to go into coaching.

This.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 3, 2012, 02:12:32 pm »
4th choice at best.

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: June 3, 2012, 02:14:42 pm »
Carra will have a role to play, but it's going to move more towards the coaching side.

His experience will be important in the first couple of Europa games, particularly as we're going to be lacking a lot of the international players at that stage. There's no reason that he shouldn't be captaining those games.

Similarly, there's no reason for him not to be an integral part of the first team squad, even if his appearances are going to be more limited.

Yes, there is a need to bring on Coates and possibly Wisdom. But it would be daft in the extreme for anyone to make a decision that Carra is surplus to requirements just yet.
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #21 on: June 3, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »
Personally I dont see what Carra would be able to offer in a coaching role

Carra was a 'stopper'! nothing more than that really

as much as I admire him for his passion and commitment to the cause, what could he really teach anyone?

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 3, 2012, 02:15:20 pm »
4th-5th choice, and if he doesn't like it, he can retire. Would much rather see him do a bit of coaching away from Liverpool as well if I'm honest, if he harbors ambitions of one day managing LFC he needs to get away from the club, even if only for a few years.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Joey_Healy

• Main Stander
  • Patience is Key
« Reply #23 on: June 3, 2012, 02:16:06 pm »
Shouldn't be played unless it is totally necessary. We would be better off giving Wisdom and Wilson games.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2012, 02:26:06 pm by Joey_Healy »
http://twitter.com/#!/Joey_Healy
how did cole do? Missed the game.
He showed promise and looked up for it....then it all went to pot when we kicked off.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #24 on: June 3, 2012, 02:17:06 pm »
I think he should be fourth choice, with a view to integrating him into the coaching staff. Having said that, if Carra is serious about coaching or management in the future, it may be beneficial for him to go abroad or to a smaller club, to see how they work and broaden his knowledge. If I recall correctly, Pep Guardiola went to Brescia in a similar guise? Not necessarily as a player. He's been a legend and great servant to the club, but it's difficult to argue that he is still a capable centre-back playing at the level that we need of him. He had good games last season, but those were unfortunately forgotten amongst some very visible and memorable mistakes. For a lad of my age-along with Gerrard and Rafa- Carra is one of the first legends I experienced first hand at the club, and he should go down as one of the Liverpool greats. My abiding memories of him all come from a single season, a single competition. Who will forget his epic performance at home to Chelsea, launching himself in front of shots. Or the way he recovered from cramp in Istanbul to keep fighting on. It's tempting to give in to the dissent and grumbling with Carra, given that he may have outlived one facet of his usefulness. But we should keep him around. It's good for the young CBs, and it'll help him (working under a young but experienced Rodgers) to see what necessary if he's to follow that path. I just hope, that when the time comes, he realises that he's not quite at the level Liverpool require of him, or he expects from himself.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #25 on: June 3, 2012, 02:17:24 pm »
He's done, we shouldnt see him in the pitch again. Boss lad though, just past it now.
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 3, 2012, 02:18:48 pm »
try and move him on and spend his wages on other players more valuable to the team
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #27 on: June 3, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »
This isnt something that any sentiment can be used to justify a place in the starting line. Kenny seemed to play him far to much towards the end of the season.

4th choice/possible coaching role but as said, sentiment can't play a role in any decision. He spent the last 5 years hacking and hoofing at the ball.

Not sure that is something that should be coached.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 3, 2012, 02:19:18 pm »
Should be moved on.  Don't want him anywhere near the management or coaching staff.  He'd be no better than Souness.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 3, 2012, 02:20:23 pm »
It is a question because last season Carragher was getting picked over Coates.  He is still getting, presumably, high wages at the club and we have a new manager who might play him, might not.

Rodgers might feel he needs to make a statement by not playing someone like Carragher and using him in his first team plans next season - a new era and stamping his authority.  Then again he might feel Carragher's experience is vital to his new team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carragher was used regularly next season.  Then again I wouldn't be surprised if he was fourth choice or became a coach. 

It is very much a debatable issue.

I meant it in a footballing sense. As you say, there's plenty of political capital involved in a decision like this either way. However, if there is to be a clean, fresh start from scratch at the club then when better to move someone like Carragher out or into coaching?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 3, 2012, 02:21:41 pm »
Nowhere near the 1st team.Coates would fit perfectly into BR's way of playing so he needs to be 3rd choice.Knowing aggers injury record,coates will get plenty of first team football.Make carra an understudy to whoever is in charge of the youth side.Just because you were a top class player doesn't mean you become a top class coach.Keep him at the club by all means but let him earn the right to coach at a higher level.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 3, 2012, 02:21:55 pm »
Fourth choice centerback, once his contract expires he should be released from the club.
If he manages to find some success in management then he the club should reconsider hiring him again.

Offline red_dub

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 3, 2012, 02:23:11 pm »
coach and 4th choice,
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Bill Shankly

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 3, 2012, 02:23:24 pm »
as much as I admire him for his passion and commitment to the cause, what could he really teach anyone?

How to defend, how to act as a professional, what LFC means and how a player should conduct himself.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 3, 2012, 02:26:32 pm »
Simple question - What should his role be at the club from next season?

- Fifth or sixth choice - with Wisdom, Kelly and Wilson back up to Skrtel, Agger and Coates?

One of Rodgers toughest tasks this summer is to decide what to do with Carraagher.

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 3, 2012, 02:27:30 pm »
Out of interest does anyone have an idea what wages Carragher is on?

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 3, 2012, 02:29:10 pm »
He's on silly silly money - around £100k a week by all accounts.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 3, 2012, 02:29:18 pm »
Why?

You make him sound immaculate when he really isn't.
I have nothing against him becoming a coach but he should cut his teeth elsewhere and if he is good enough then he can apply for a position in Liverpool.
Key point being good enough, not simply being 'Liverpool' enough, you know, kind of like with his days as a player.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #38 on: June 3, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »
How to defend, how to act as a professional, what LFC means and how a player should conduct himself.

Sorry, but his style of defending is not something I want taught to our youngsters. Yes, his strengths should be coached into our youngsters, but those strengths are pretty obvious and in all likelihood easy or impossible to teach.

Offline RaveDave

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: June 3, 2012, 02:29:40 pm »
Sometimes we are too sentimental about our players, what has Carragher shown that makes anyone think he should be given a coaching job at the club? its mostly guys wanting to keep him around the club because he has played so many games for us. If he is going to become a coach he needs to go elsewhere and earn his chance to comeback to the club through good work not though sentimentality, as for next season in an ideal world he would be moved on, but realistically he won't and will play quite a number of games.