Author Topic: Classic Car choices  (Read 36692 times)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Re: Classic Car choices
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2017, 12:49:12 pm »
Jim Morrison was given that GT500 by the record company, it is featured in the riders on the storm video, Jim spends the entire time driving it. He drove it hard and crashed it on a few occasions, but always had it repaired. Before it disappeared, one story says he said he'd wrapped it around a tree on the way to the Whiskey A Go Go club, he walked the rest of the way and then when he went back for it, it had gone. A fella in the states owns the title but doesn't have the car, opinion seems to be it was crushed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-af9Q-zvQ

Hopefully end up a barn find somewhere..what a waste for tgat to be crushed-imagine the value if that turned up.

A couple of my arl fellas cars whilst others are on it..

Think this was the model..it was the first time i saw 'that suspension'.

Another he had which i thought was superb was a feckin Datsun.
Here is the 120Y.

Drooling over a Datsun.. :o
I'd have that right now & wouldn't give a fuck.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2017, 01:24:24 pm »
Some my Dad had

Early 60's Mini - 315 GXO. Got robbed twice, once from outside ours in Tower Hill and got found in the Jolly Miller car park with a damaged wing but got repaired, second time from the car park at Triumph, was put back there the next day. There was a set of false teeth in the car, but no-one claimed them when my Dad put a lost and found notice on the board.

Austin 1300, all I can remember was it was dark green and an 'F' reg

This one caused murder in ours, he bought an 18 month old yellow MK2 1.1 Popular (KFY 447P) with half the redundancy money (just over 4k I seem to remember) he got from Triumph when they closed Speke - the money was supposed to be used to buy a house in Cowley Road in Walton (8k). My Ma went totally mental as he didn't tell her and just turned up with the car one day. always was a selfish c*nt me Dad. After they got divorced I went with him to collect a Fiesta from the car sales near Maghull and he told me not to tell his new wife how much it cost as they were skint, he'd said to her it was a grand, its was 3 and a half !!!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:27:23 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2017, 01:28:57 pm »
Hopefully end up a barn find somewhere..what a waste for tgat to be crushed-imagine the value if that turned up.

A couple of my arl fellas cars whilst others are on it..

Think this was the model..it was the first time i saw 'that suspension'.

Another he had which i thought was superb was a feckin Datsun.
Here is the 120Y.

Drooling over a Datsun.. :o
I'd have that right now & wouldn't give a fuck.

The 280zx was a lovely looking car

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2017, 01:38:39 pm »
The 280zx was a lovely looking car

Too flabby, the 240z was much nicer looking...

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2017, 01:52:55 pm »
Here's a couple of others, from the sublime to the, well absolutely gorgeous but totally unattainable...

Marcos 3 litre

Like TVR's, they used to be very affordable but like most of these vehicles, have climbed in price for good examples. The later V8 Mantuas were also quite nice.

And, humming On days like this... from the beginning of the original Italian Job....

Dribble.

A possible sleeper, mentioning TVR's, is the Chimaera...

A few years ago they couldn't be given away when TVR folded, but they are starting to attract attention now.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »
My Dad had one of these at one point. BL Princess.

My mate smashed his into a Brummie bus shelter back in 1992 on the way to pick me up from uni to drive to Preston

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2017, 09:22:49 pm »
Some my Dad had

Austin 1300, all I can remember was it was dark green and an 'F' reg

Minis were always a fav in out house as well mate.

The green could have been British Racing Green :)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2017, 01:46:56 am »
That Mura.....  :o
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2017, 11:48:52 am »
Next Cars & Coffee Liverpool ....

The Cars and Coffee Liverpool crew are happy to announce another meeting this month - Sunday 25th June from 9.30am-12pm. The charity for the month will be the Newly elected Liverpool Lord Mayor (Cllr Malcolm Kennedy and Lady Mayoress, Mrs Liliana Kennedy whom may attended on the day) chosen charities. At the same time collaborating the 125 Field Company REME Army with an exciting 100ft INFLATABLE ASSAULT COURSE for the petrolicous children and grownups;-)
The theme for this month will be Sports and Classics, but will consider Japanese theme for the next month;-) Hope you can join us on another great meeting with some odd nice surprises on the day!! Happy motoring and please drive safe and responsibly. Say YES if your coming!!!! Thanks C&CL x

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2017, 11:19:52 am »
I used to like the DeTomaso as a kid

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:21:45 am by Ziltoid »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2017, 11:37:02 am »
Marcos 3 litre

Think that's the one me Dad had :) 8) :wave

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2017, 11:58:01 am »

Nice.

The first ones of that shape had 1600 Ford or 1800 Volvo engines in and could be bought as kit form. They even had an ash wooden chassis but they moved to steel for the later V6 powered variant.
There was a teenagers TV programme back in the late 60's called Tom Tom, a sort of proto Magpie, and they built one over a series.
To a teenager like me back then, there was just something about the shape that looked right, though I recall they did have some strange features like the seats weren't adjustable at all, instead you adjusted the steering column and pedals. I also remember reading an article by an owner back then who said it was the best bird pulling vehicle ever, and in his words... diabolical for a girl in a miniskirt to clamber into the passenger seat. Different times, and probably rightly, I don't suppose you could get away with saying that sort of thing about a car these days.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2017, 10:01:09 pm »
Always loved the sound produced by a TVR,very nice indeed.

Ain't seen one of these for ages & probably good reason for that too.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2017, 12:05:22 am »
My aunt and uncle had a Skoda for a while, my cousin absolutely hated it.

And where I grew up there was a family just up the street with TWO of these Ladas, in classic beige (think one might have been an estate):

AND I've just remembered my next door neighbours had a Yugo:

It's entirely possible that my childhood wasn't spent in the leafy Buckinghamshire countryside, but somewhere in a Soviet oblast.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:08:48 am by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2017, 09:58:09 am »

It's entirely possible that my childhood wasn't spent in the leafy Buckinghamshire countryside, but somewhere in a Soviet oblast.
;D  One of my uncles had extreme left wing views and bless his misplaced principles he would only buy Russian cars. He a had a few Moskvich's that were hardly on the road, he was always waiting for parts to be flown in from behind the red curtain. I miss listening to him :)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2017, 08:03:40 pm »
To get the thread back on a happier, classier track, my dad used to have one of these:

It got stolen once, but it had a faulty petrol indicator that always read empty so the thieves left it in a nearby field and the police nicked them when they got back to it with a jerry can.

And my mum once had one of these:

She got pulled over driving my gran, me and my brother (aged around 10-12) around London. The police took one look at her and waved her on.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2017, 08:15:27 pm »
To get the thread back on a happier, classier track, my dad used to have one of these:

It got stolen once, but it had a faulty petrol indicator that always read empty so the thieves left it in a nearby field and the police nicked them when they got back to it with a jerry can.

Loved the original 3 door Cossie. A copper in Kirkby had one, they thought he was on the take, turned out he got it as a present from some rich woman he was seeing.

This thread has gotr me thinking, what cars from the recent past will be thought of as classics in 30/40 years? Maybe the Focus ST and RS models, can't see any Mondeos being lusted after.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2017, 10:31:20 pm »
...This thread has gotr me thinking, what cars from the recent past will be thought of as classics in 30/40 years?

XK-R is probably a good bet and early versions quite cheap at the moment.

As ever, the convertible variants will probably be the more desirable...

Those V8 engines have their faults, cylinder liners being notoriously weak, though I believe a very nice 5.2 V12 conversion can be done on them.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2017, 10:40:19 pm »
Funny you should say  that gulley a lad I know who loves and is very knowledgable about classics said exactly the same to me a few weeks ago , he reckons you can pick up a cracker for around £8000 ( I think he said ) and store it

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2017, 10:44:12 pm »
I prefer its sister car the DB7

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2017, 10:49:18 pm »
Funny you should say  that gulley a lad I know who loves and is very knowledgable about classics said exactly the same to me a few weeks ago , he reckons you can pick up a cracker for around £8000 ( I think he said ) and store it

Didn't realise they were so cheap, had a quick look on autotrader, there's quite a choice for under 8k

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2017, 11:20:18 pm »

I've seen really nice ones for around 5k, they are really cheap at the moment but as I said, they do have their faults...

I prefer its sister car the DB7

Yes, but all that premium for just a Jag with a different badge....

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2017, 01:49:45 pm »
If I had the time and money I'd go for one of these:

"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2017, 09:23:15 pm »
/\ Thats an absolute beauty that.

The XK-R..
Isn't that a Mondeo?  ;D
Gets out fast!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2017, 10:22:35 pm »
I've seen really nice ones for around 5k, they are really cheap at the moment but as I said, they do have their faults...

Yes, but all that premium for just a Jag with a different badge....

Had a read up on the cars today, the Aston is said the handle well better than the Jag, but that's easy fixed and would still leave change. There's not even much more kudos in Aston over Jaguar as both are prestige names.

I prefer the styling on the DB7, the front end on the early cars is just nicer than the XK range - not saying I wouldn't but the Jag though, I'd be happy with either car.

/\ Thats an absolute beauty that.

The XK-R..
Isn't that a Mondeo?  ;D
Gets out fast!

Thats the X-type  ;)

In reality the X type uses a modified Mondeo floorpan and some Ford parts bin stuff, but they are different cars. I own a 2.2 SE X Type, its a proper Jag. This one is identical to mine.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:24:27 pm by rob1966 »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2017, 10:29:27 pm »
My Dad used to build these, his job was laughingly a Quality Control inspector when they closed the plant. He took me in the factory when they were on the 17 week strike, showed me the line from start to finish, was great as a kid to see the cars from start to finish, there were completed cars just sat there.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2017, 10:30:48 pm »
TR7? Lotus?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2017, 10:35:05 pm »
If I had the time and money I'd go for one of these:

Pretty looking car but....

Two box girders with a rear axle off a horse drawn cart and an overated lump stuck at the front.

Had a ride in one back in the late 70's, a guy I worked with had one and seemed very pleased to tell me it was '150 hp'.

I was looking forward to it, but it was pretty pedestrian really and when I took him out in my mildly tuned 1275 engined Mini he got the point.

I then had another chum in the late 90's who went and got one, he'd always lusted after one for some reason. He sold it quite soon after.

I'm not saying they are bad cars, like Skoda's they have their aficionados and if you really must have one then go for it, but I do think for what they are they are horrendously overpriced.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2017, 10:36:18 pm »
Looks like a TR7.  My mate was doing one up in Leicester back in 92. The Poll tax/council tax boys were hot on his heels so he just upped and left. Someone might have claimed it, if not the council.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2017, 10:37:30 pm »

The standard TR7 was just terrible.

The US bound V8 versions weren't too bad, but by then the damage had been done.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2017, 10:41:05 pm »
The standard TR7 was just terrible.

The US bound V8 versions weren't too bad, but by then the damage had been done.

My mate would agree with the shocking build nature of the TR7. He was always up for the challenge though.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2017, 10:42:56 pm »
Cars that might be worth buying as a future classic...

Maybe a BMW 850.....

Pretty car.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2017, 11:36:04 am »
Yep you're right Rob regarding the 'mondeo',used the wrong bait there ha.

A couple to add,mate of mine had a white mk1 of these & was rapid.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2017, 12:00:54 pm »
My Dad used to build these, his job was laughingly a Quality Control inspector when they closed the plant. He took me in the factory when they were on the 17 week strike, showed me the line from start to finish, was great as a kid to see the cars from start to finish, there were completed cars just sat there.

Yes in Hunts Cross - the same for my arl fella - he was a fitter there. A great looking car mind you, in spite of it's deficiencies.
Those V8 TR8s that made it to the U.S must have been something. Regarding the plant and it's demise my dad calls it about right, I think, very poor management and very aggressive union leadership, both sides looking for a fight without any thought to the families left with fuck all at the end of it.

There were very slim pickings that Christmas - I'm sure you can remember it well.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2017, 12:18:46 pm »
I wanted one of these so bad back in the late 70s/early 80s. Unfortunately, I had no money and was too young to drive.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2017, 12:44:47 pm »
Yes in Hunts Cross - the same for my arl fella - he was a fitter there. A great looking car mind you, in spite of it's deficiencies.
Those V8 TR8s that made it to the U.S must have been something. Regarding the plant and it's demise my dad calls it about right, I think, very poor management and very aggressive union leadership, both sides looking for a fight without any thought to the families left with fuck all at the end of it.

There were very slim pickings that Christmas - I'm sure you can remember it well.

Those TR8's  :)

My Dad was very angry about the strike, probably for the same reasons as yours. Hard times.

Do you remember getting the toy TR7's one Christmas? My and our kid got two each, one was a road car and one was a rally car - my Dad said Triumph gave them to the workers. Wish I still had them.

Offline fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2017, 05:12:55 pm »
always fancied a Triumph Herald Vitesse

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2017, 05:21:54 pm »
Those TR8's  :)

My Dad was very angry about the strike, probably for the same reasons as yours. Hard times.

Do you remember getting the toy TR7's one Christmas? My and our kid got two each, one was a road car and one was a rally car - my Dad said Triumph gave them to the workers. Wish I still had them.

ha - yes - I hadn't thought of it but yes, I'm sure me and our kid only got one between us though [goes to call his da ...  ;D]

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2017, 05:32:51 pm »
always fancied a Triumph Herald Vitesse

Great choice

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2017, 09:05:47 pm »
ha - yes - I hadn't thought of it but yes, I'm sure me and our kid only got one between us though [goes to call his da ...  ;D]

Deffo have a word, we did get 4 between us two, the road cars were different colours (can't remember the exact colours though) and one each of these