Author Topic: Incident at Manchester Arena  (Read 75484 times)

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
Re: Incident at Manchester Arena
« Reply #720 on: June 4, 2017, 10:06:43 pm »
Fucking hell. This woman is special.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #721 on: June 4, 2017, 10:06:59 pm »
 :scarf Good job, our kid. :scarf
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #722 on: June 4, 2017, 10:08:13 pm »
What an incredible woman. This is beautiful and heartbreaking in equal measure, but I top my hat to her for having the fortitude to do what she has done. Also fair play to so many global superstars for agreeing to attend at such short notice. I hope they brought some happiness to those who were there that night and those who perished will not be forgotten.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #723 on: June 4, 2017, 10:08:18 pm »
Wow that was great, Ariana Grande is a special talent, she put on a great show and what a vocalist is she.

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: June 4, 2017, 10:09:48 pm »
You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by the positivity tonight

This should be the front page of all the papers tomorrow

The image of the night.

What an amazing concert by an amazing woman.
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #725 on: June 4, 2017, 10:11:07 pm »
adopted national treasure status instantly assured.....hats off
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #726 on: June 4, 2017, 10:11:13 pm »
Grande is obviously a star but she is now probably a superstar in the UK audience eyes.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #727 on: June 4, 2017, 10:13:23 pm »
Grande was incredible..

Truely emotional whenever she was onstage.  Two weeks ago she would never have imagined that she would have such a bond with the city and I'm sure that part of her heart will always be in Manchester..

She's nearly a kid herself...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: June 4, 2017, 10:14:04 pm »
Amazing stuff.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #729 on: June 4, 2017, 10:17:58 pm »
Different class, that young woman.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: June 4, 2017, 10:20:32 pm »
Grande was incredible..

Truely emotional whenever she was onstage.  Two weeks ago she would never have imagined that she would have such a bond with the city and I'm sure that part of her heart will always be in Manchester..

She's nearly a kid herself...

Can only echo the above and all the other comments. She was inspirational tonight. World Leaders, Isis, the whole world should take note of what they just witnessed.

This is what life is about, the coming together of people, for the love of music, for the love of being together with your family, your partners, your children, your friends.. Every night let those around us know, we care about them, we love them, and how much they mean to us.

For some families in the last few weeks have lost a great deal, and they don't have that chance to do this.

Never forget the most important things in life, allow those things that annoy you, and frustrate you, that make you angry disappear as quickly as they come.

Well done Grande.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #731 on: June 4, 2017, 10:29:31 pm »
Just an alround amazing show. Went through just about my whole emotional reportoir watching that.

Ariana Grande, what a person.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #732 on: June 4, 2017, 10:29:49 pm »
I sobbed several times during that. No hateful, violent, miserable scumbags will crush the spirit of ordinary, decent people. That was truly beautiful and Ariana Grande deserves national treasure status after pulling that off.

Massive respect to everyone who turned out to contribute there. Going to bed happy tonight me.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: June 4, 2017, 10:36:39 pm »
What she's done tonight makes an absolute mockery of Piers Moron's pathetic comments about her last week.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #734 on: June 4, 2017, 10:40:34 pm »
Well in girl, you have my utmost respect.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #735 on: June 4, 2017, 10:41:20 pm »
Pretty instructive to realise that a 23 year old pop singer has more brass fucking balls than the 70 year old President of the United States, who tweeted like a maniac last night in between day long visits to his golf courses.

This.  She must weigh 90 lbs and she has bigger balls than that orange idiot.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #736 on: June 4, 2017, 10:41:53 pm »
What she's done tonight makes an absolute mockery of Piers Moron's pathetic comments about her last week.

Don't give the horrible smug bastard a thought at times like this. Not worth it.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: June 4, 2017, 10:45:13 pm »
Don't give the horrible smug bastard a thought at times like this. Not worth it.

True, I was just struck by the contrast between them. Beautiful stuff tonight.

Offline robygerrard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #738 on: June 4, 2017, 10:45:15 pm »
Can only echo the above and all the other comments. She was inspirational tonight. World Leaders, Isis, the whole world should take note of what they just witnessed.

This is what life is about, the coming together of people, for the love of music, for the love of being together with your family, your partners, your children, your friends.. Every night let those around us know, we care about them, we love them, and how much they mean to us.

For some families in the last few weeks have lost a great deal, and they don't have that chance to do this.

Never forget the most important things in life, allow those things that annoy you, and frustrate you, that make you angry disappear as quickly as they come.

Well done Grande.
Fucking hell man! Just read this & it's set me off again. She is indeed a beautiful young woman in all ways.

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: June 4, 2017, 11:14:45 pm »
That wee girl was magnificent.  Arianda, you have some guts on you.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #740 on: June 4, 2017, 11:19:51 pm »
Great effort by Ariana. She really led this well, and all credit to her
Huge Hats off to everyone who organised the gig tonight. Particularly all the crew etc.
Unbelievable considering they've had no more than a couple of weeks to get it together from idea to inception

Incredibly slick. I've seen a lot of live event with months of preparation which have gone a lot less smoothly.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #741 on: June 4, 2017, 11:30:30 pm »
Somewhere Over the Rainbow finished me off  :-X

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #742 on: June 4, 2017, 11:37:14 pm »
what an amazing young lady. What a amazing concert and what a way to bring everyone together as one.  Ariana is a national adopted treasure for sure. Events like this shows how strong the human resolve is it times of hardship. So glad I got to watch this amazing event. 

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #743 on: June 4, 2017, 11:41:17 pm »
Hope Arianna Grande goes on to have a wonderful career and reaches legendary status, if she hasn't already.

Also hope somewhere in the caves, ISIS are watching this and absolutely fuming. Dickheads.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2017, 11:49:13 pm by RJ320 »

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #744 on: June 4, 2017, 11:43:37 pm »
Glued to the box until the end tonight. Amazing togetherness right across the different generations. That young lady is very special folks - it shone out of her tonight. If Richard Leese doesn't recognise this and make her an honorary citizen of the city of Manchester then there'll be hell to pay. 
« Last Edit: June 4, 2017, 11:45:11 pm by JohnnoWhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: June 5, 2017, 12:14:06 am »
Ariana was just incredible, at 23 to be able to put on a show like that after everything and be so strong and caring. What a legend.

Was reading this earlier about how humans can normalise the very worst and just get on with life, I found it very interesting on how terrorism is a paradox:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/terrorism-is-becoming-normal-and-that-will-be-its-undoing-1.3107639?mode=amp

Offline Pensby

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Pub
« Reply #746 on: June 5, 2017, 01:02:50 am »
Ariana is defo not my cup of tea musically, but her team pulled off a good one tonight. Well in girl! Mind you, as an old ex-g*th I was surprised by my knowledge of Take That lyrics
...if I have to explain, then you'll never understand...

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: June 5, 2017, 01:25:20 am »
Had to keep walking out of the living room, just constant welling up.
Phenomenal young lady and what a show.

I doth my cap and that police officer doing ring a ring o roses.

So proud to be British English Lancastrian

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #748 on: June 5, 2017, 05:19:44 am »
A brilliant concert amazing it was done so quickly.

I went to the original Live aid and was amazed but how quick the turn around times were at Live Aid it was at least 30 minutes between each act.

I loved somewhere over the Rainbow the perfect end to the concert.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #749 on: June 5, 2017, 06:25:22 am »
About the London attack.

Something I don't understand for something that ended after 8 minutes why is it all still sealed off.

just seems odd compared to other attacks when there was more deaths but things went back to normal quicker.

It feels like its being dragged out for some reason.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2017, 06:30:02 am by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #750 on: June 5, 2017, 06:33:05 am »
About the London attack.

Something I don't understand for something that ended after 8 minutes why is it all still sealed off.

just seems odd compared to other attacks when there was more deaths but things went back to normal quicker.

It feels like its being dragged out for some reason.

The police are just doing their job Dave. There's no ulterior motive for fucks sake.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #751 on: June 5, 2017, 06:35:16 am »
The police are just doing their job Dave. There's no ulterior motive for fucks sake.

Of course they are.

Just asking the question that all.

I was just having that little itch I couldn't scratch.

And I had to ask just seems to be taking a long time.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2017, 06:47:56 am by Trada »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #752 on: June 5, 2017, 09:32:47 am »
Of course they are.

The crime scene area is enormous. They won't rush such a high profile case. There is simply massive amounts of forensic work required before they can release the scene.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: June 5, 2017, 09:54:46 am »
The crime scene area is enormous. They won't rush such a high profile case. There is simply massive amounts of forensic work required before they can release the scene.

The cordon is still up around Borough Market today. Know people who've been told that they can't go into work today because they can't access their building. Eminently sensible not to rush.

Edit: Sorry, just realised this probably isn't the right thread for this. Delete or move as required
« Last Edit: June 5, 2017, 09:57:44 am by Classycara »

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: June 5, 2017, 10:13:55 am »
Of course they are.

Remember that this was a police ballistics incident too, where 50 bullets were discharged so the forensics from that will be enormous. The police take discharging of their own firearms incredibly seriously and there is a rigourous procedure in place to establish whether officers have any cases to answer - especially in the case of multiple fatalities, of which there were in this incident, whether the victims deserved it or not.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #755 on: June 5, 2017, 10:31:46 am »
Remember that this was a police ballistics incident too, where 50 bullets were discharged so the forensics from that will be enormous. The police take discharging of their own firearms incredibly seriously and there is a rigourous procedure in place to establish whether officers have any cases to answer - especially in the case of multiple fatalities, of which there were in this incident, whether the victims deserved it or not.

This don't forget every single bullet needs to be accounted for, especially in a case where a member of the public was caught in the crossfire

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #756 on: June 5, 2017, 11:04:15 am »
I just got muted on Twitter for calling Piers Moron a Twat regarding his apology to Ariana Grande

Wow!
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #757 on: March 27, 2018, 12:36:47 pm »
The Kerslake Report into the events after the suicide bombing was released today.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/kerslake-report-manchester-arena-bomb-14461431

Some bad. Fire service was let down by its leadership. Some of the national press need whipping through the streets in shame. A lot of good - especially the bravery from first responders. And the city itself is praised by families of the bereaved and injured for its response. Not quoting huge chunks of the excellent summary in a paper praised for how it reacted and responded to a tragedy. Give them a click.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: June 17, 2021, 07:28:10 pm »
Horrendous to see the failings that occurred.

Manchester Arena Inquiry: Bomb victims were failed on every level, family says

Twenty-two people murdered in the Manchester Arena bomb were "failed on every level" by organisations criticised in a public inquiry report, a victim's father has said.

Bomber Salman Abedi should have been identified as a threat by security, the inquiry chairman said.

Sir John Saunders found there were missed opportunities to avert or minimise the "devastating impact".

Martyn Hett's father said the attack "should have been prevented".

Paul Hett, whose 29-year-old son died in the bombing, said it had been heartbreaking "to find that Martyn had just been in the wrong place at the wrong time".

Twenty-two people were killed in the bombing and hundreds more were injured when Manchester-born Abedi, who was of Libyan descent, walked across the foyer of the arena at the end of an Ariana Grande concert and detonated the bomb at 22:31 BST on 22 May 2017.

The first of three reports published by the public inquiry, which began in September 2020, has levelled criticism at British Transport Police (BTP), the arena operators SMG, and their contracted security providers, Showsec.

Mr Hett said the organisations involved had a duty of care to protect his son and the other victims, adding: "This inquiry has rightly found that we were failed by them on every level."

"This atrocity should and could have been prevented, and 22 people would not have lost their lives," he said.

Sir John said it was likely Abedi would have detonated his device if confronted but "the loss of life and injury is highly likely to have been less".

On the night of the arena bombing, the national terror threat was classed as severe, meaning a terrorist attack was highly likely.

The inquiry chairman said: "Whilst the threat was not specific to any particular premises, the arena was always a possible target for a terrorist."

He added: "Everybody concerned with security at the arena should have been doing their job in the knowledge that a terrorist attack might occur on that night.

"They weren't. No one believed it could happen to them."

Sir John found two teenage stewards did not react "as robustly and effectively as they should have" when a member of the public, Christopher Wild, raised his concerns about the bomber.

The inquiry chairman called this "the most striking missed opportunity".

Other key findings:

There was no BTP officer present in the foyer and "no satisfactory explanation" for this
Two on-duty officers took a break of more than two hours, including a 10-mile round trip to buy kebabs
Abedi hid in a CCTV blindspot which had existed for years. If addressed the attack could have been "disrupted or deterred or fewer people killed"
Showsec was criticised for not ensuring staff properly checked the mezzanine where Abedi hid
Counter-terrorism training given to stewards was a "significant failure"
Risk assessments by SMG and Showsec were "inadequate"
SMG and Showsec "failed to take steps to improve security at the arena that they should have taken"
A range of improvements have been recommended.

Most notably Sir John has supported the introduction of new "Protect Duty" legislation to place a duty on venue operators to consider and cater for the risk of a terrorist attack.

Figen Murray has been campaigning for the legislation, also known an "Martyn's Law", in memory of her son, Martyn Hett.

She said the report made it clear that "venue security needs to be improved to help prevent further terror attacks".

"We should not have to live in fear and I am determined to make this law a reality," she added.

Analysis by Judith Moritz, north of England correspondent
This report makes difficult reading for the families of the 22 people who were murdered at the Manchester Arena.

But everyone I have spoken to has said how important it is, and how valuable they find it.

Nothing in the 200-page document can bring their loved ones back but there is a united feeling they do not want anyone else to suffer as they have.

And so, they are committed to this inquiry laying out failures and suggesting ways to improve things for the future.

The families I have spoken to know that there is still a long road ahead and are particularly dreading the section of the inquiry which will examine how the 22 died and whether any of them could have been saved.

They know that there will be many more painful days like this one before they reach the end of the process.

June Tron, mother of 32-year-old Philip Tron who also died, said she hoped laws would be introduced "to ensure people can go to a concert or a big public event in confidence that they have the best possible protection".

"It has become clear that was not the case for Philip, 21 others who also lost their lives, and the hundreds more who were seriously injured or left traumatised by what happened," she said.

She said it was "very hard to accept and understand" that "Philip and everybody else in the vicinity of the arena that night was placed at risk".

Solicitor Neil Hudgell, who represents some of bereaved families, said collective failings made the arena a sitting target for terrorists, leaving thousands of young people "open and vulnerable".

"The security around the venue and event was nowhere near what it needed to be," he said.

Arena operator SMG said it would "continuously challenge ourselves to be better".

SMG added that, during the inquiry, experts "did not see evidence that the security operation in place at Manchester Arena was out of step with the operations being used at other comparable venues" but added that "this doesn't give us any comfort".

"Our guests came to the arena to enjoy a show but were met with a horrific tragedy. For that we are truly sorry," a spokesperson added.

Security firm Showsec said it had "learnt lessons" and improvements were "already in place" but it would now "take time to consider both Sir John's criticisms and his recommendations before responding as he has requested".

BTP Chief Constable Lucy D'Orsi said the force had been "reviewing procedures, operational planning and training" since the attack and was "committed to ensuring our staff are supported and prepared to undertake the roles they are required to do".

Home Secretary Priti Patel said the government continued "to take action in response to the terrorist threat" and had launched a consultation on the proposed Protect Duty.

She said the government would "carefully consider" the report and would respond fully in due course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-57511079
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #759 on: June 17, 2021, 10:58:54 pm »
Was at the Arena with the Mrs 3 weeks before the bombing. We both left early, because what we went to see was disappointing. Both went for a piss before we left and both of us said after that it was piss poor security. Mrs said there was even a fight in the ladies bogs. Most people were still in the Arena and no security around the bogs.