Author Topic: Bundesliga Thread  (Read 1068076 times)

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
Re: Bundesliga Thread
« Reply #15920 on: May 29, 2021, 05:48:43 pm »
Good half that, especially if you have some love for Effzeh.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #15921 on: May 29, 2021, 06:42:53 pm »
Was already all over but still 1-5 for Effzeh..

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #15922 on: May 29, 2021, 09:12:44 pm »
Was already all over but still 1-5 for Effzeh..

It’s a shame for Kiel of course, after getting so close, but with the fixture pile up, it was just a step too far! And it isn’t often the 2. Buli team does it under normal circumstances.

But I am also glad Effzeh are staying up! That club is quite nuts, something very lovable about them, great fans too. (And the best mascot in football  ;D ).

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15923 on: May 29, 2021, 09:40:51 pm »
It’s a shame for Kiel of course, after getting so close, but with the fixture pile up, it was just a step too far! And it isn’t often the 2. Buli team does it under normal circumstances.

Joke is they threw away automatic promotion. They should have gone up, but tailed off towards the end. Fürth squeaked in at the end. Next year will be tough for them to get promoted, but they've shown they can compete in that division. Barring disaster Ingolstadt should be getting promoted to make it even more competitive

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #15924 on: May 30, 2021, 03:43:37 pm »
You mean in terms of who is their head coach moving forward?, I don’t think for a second they will be sticking with Pal Dardai. He did enough this time round of course - and much credit for that, cos it was a mad run these last couple weeks with games grouped together, and with a number of injuries and suspensions.  But Hertha aren’t spending all that money to be just ok though. There are of course changes already, with Fredi Bobic back at the club. Maybe they need to try and go down he route the likes of Frankfurt and Wolfsburg did, and indeed Mainz too, and bring in talented coaches from leagues below the Bundesliga and go from there.
They probably should (and maybe are) considering Edin Terzic too. Gerardo Seoane is another name mentioned too with Buli jobs this summer - actually Eintracht Frankfurt is the name cropping up a lot, but again, that would be someone Hertha should target too.
They are keeping Dárdai for next season. 1-year contract.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15925 on: May 30, 2021, 03:50:36 pm »
They are keeping Dárdai for next season. 1-year contract.

good news for a load of other teams in Bundesliga then I guess! 

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #15926 on: May 30, 2021, 04:35:38 pm »
Joke is they threw away automatic promotion. They should have gone up, but tailed off towards the end. Fürth squeaked in at the end. Next year will be tough for them to get promoted, but they've shown they can compete in that division. Barring disaster Ingolstadt should be getting promoted to make it even more competitive

Schalke, Hamburg, Bremen, Hannover, Nuremburg, Fortuna Dusseldorf, St Pauli, Karlsruher, Dynamo Dresden and Hansa Rostock all in Bundesliga 2 next season. More than half the league.

Kaiserslartern, 1860 Munich and Eintracht Braunschweig in the 3rd tier as well.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15927 on: June 2, 2021, 12:21:44 pm »
Mark Van Bommel to Wolfsburg.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #15928 on: June 2, 2021, 01:48:27 pm »
Bizarre. Had to look him up to make sure he hadn't been doing something spectacular in an obscure league - nope, assistant with the UAE National Team having been brought into the fold by his Father-in-Law. Nothing like a bit of nepotism.

I wonder what it is that's got him such a good job, with Wolfsburg looking the healthiest they have in half a decade? He has virtually no CV to speak of, only one head coach position at PSV where he was sacked with the team behind Ajax, Feyenoord and AZ in the league.

Must have nailed his interview and presented a really interest, cogent philosophy. It's a risky appointment, I suppose akin to something like when Rangers took Gerrard on.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #15929 on: June 2, 2021, 06:50:59 pm »

Fuck me. Is he still playing. Time to call Erik Meijer. ;-)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15930 on: June 8, 2021, 09:32:47 am »
Absolutely wild story in the Bundesliga.

Silas Wamangituka is, in fact, Silas Katompa Mvumpa - and he's been the victim of an unscrupulous agent who put pressure on him to maintain the pretence over his identity and blackmailed him. He's also a year older than originally thought.

https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/profis/2021/silas-wamangituka-stellungnahme/

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15931 on: June 8, 2021, 09:39:56 am »
Needs to be far more regulation with football agents  :no

The quote from Silas:

"I have lived in constant fear in recent years and have also been very worried about my family in Congo. It was a difficult step for me to reveal my story. It was only with the support of my new representative that I dared do this. I realised that I no longer have to be afraid and that we can put everything out in public. I would not have dared to take this step if Stuttgart, my team hadn’t become a second home for me in which I feel safe. Today I am very relieved and I hope that I can also encourage other players who have had similar experiences with agents. I am deeply grateful to VfB Stuttgart for all the trust and support during this time. I hope that I can repay them and all fans of VfB on the pitch."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15932 on: June 8, 2021, 10:30:30 am »
Came in to post the Silas story - crazy that this sort of thing still goes on. He's definitely been manipulated and the unscrupulous actions of the agent could have ruined his life and career.

Absolutely needs to be some strict regulation of representation moving forward.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15933 on: June 8, 2021, 11:09:15 am »
Backstory on Silas, cos the name and identity situation isn’t new news, it’s the fact that he’s finally been able to regain his real identity and real name that is the huge update.

This article is from 2019 when he joined Stuttgart:

VfB Stuttgart striker Silas Wamangituka suspected of using a fake name – L’Équipe
L’Équipe have produced extraordinary reporting today that alleges that ex-Paris FC attacker and current VfB Stuttgart forward Silas Wamangituka is using a fake name.

Paris FC supporters have not forgotten Wamangituka, who scored 11 Ligue 2 goals last season. Last summer, the striker received a lot of offers. The French clubs that were interested ultimately gave up. Firstly because of the price, too high. But also because of a doubt about his identity. The Congolese footballer, who joined VfB Stuttgart (German 2nd division) for just over €8m, is unlikely to be called that.

So who is he? Is his name Silas Wamangituka? Or is it Silas Mvumpa Katompa, as the head of a club in Congo believes? L’Équipe’s investigation was not easy. Several people refused to speak, the player in particular. Others agreed to go on the record before retracting their comments. There were also some calls made to the newspaper that intended to make them understand that it was a story that was “pointless to investigate and write.”

The story of this footballer – at least the one that has been told so far in the media – begins in the streets of Kinshasa, where he is spotted at the age of 12 by Black Mountain Sport, an academy created by ex-French international Nicolas Anelka.

A man called Olivier Belesi then became his sort of guide. This Congolese lawyer, who has a close relationship with the Pingisi brothers, who work with Nicolas Anelka, quickly formally became this player’s adviser. He is the individual who managed all the offers that this man was the subject of last summer. He was also the advisor to Youssouf Mulumbu, a former PSG player who filed a complaint against Belesi for “forgery and use of forgery, and fraud,” as revealed by L’Équipe on October 18.

Wamangituka first played for FC Matete, a club with close links to Anelka’s academy. In early 2018, Belesi offered the player to Montpellier, who directs him to Alès, MHSC’s partner club. He played six games there and scored once. After a trial, he joined the Paris FC. In August 2018, he made his professional debut. Here’s where it gets interesting. In autumn of 2018, Max Mokey Nza-Ngi, the president of a Congolese team called Football Club MK, contacted Belesi and Pierre Dréossi, the general manager of Paris FC, with a proposal in hand. In one of his emails that L’Équipe has read, it states: “Proposal for amicable settlement over the fraudulent transfer of our player Mvumpa Katompa Silas to the Paris FC club under the name of Silas Wamangituka.”

The head of this club was convinced that Wamangituka was none other than Mvumpa Katompa, a player who joined his side in 2015 after having played for two other clubs in Kinshasa, AC Matonge and ES Grace. Born October 6th 1998, this player wore played for DR Congo international at youth level. But this identity has disappeared from the face of the earth for more than two years now.

The Wamangituka identity claims to have been born on October 6th, 1999. The resemblance in photos of the two players is striking. But why this change of identity? This sleight of hand appears to have enable him to join Alès for free while he was in fact under contract with Football Club MK. When he signed for Paris FC in early 2018, he had a passport with the name of Silas Wamangituka. However, when he applied for his Schengen visa to enter Europe in June 2017, he did so on behalf of Silas Mvumpa Katompa.

It appears that Football Club MK President Max Mokey Nza-Ngi has sought to take advantage of this troubling affair. In exchange for his silence, he expressed the wish to be “compensated” and also wanted “10% of any future possibly realised by Paris FC,” per emails seen by L’Équipe.

Paris FC General Manager Dréossi has confirmed that this occurred: “But at no time did Paris FC pay this club any money. We had the papers, Silas’ passport, his residence permit. Everything was in order for us. If there is a problem, it is in the Congo that it occurred. So you have to see there. And then, this president also sent us a little later another letter to explain that he had ‘come to an arrangement’ with FC Matete. He definitely meant a financial arrangement. Anyway, with African clubs, it often happens. As soon as a player shines, everyone wants their share…”

Dréossi was due to send L’Équipe several documents related to this affair, but he has not responded to them since 20th November. As for Max Mokey Nza-Ngi, he refused to explain himself when he was called by the newspaper: “I do not know you. Who are you? If you want answers, you must come to Congo!”

Coming back to on-pitch matters, since his debut in the German 2nd division, Wamangituka has scored 4 goals and laid on 1 assist. His performances are being closely followed by the Head Coach of the DR Congo national team Christian Nsengi-Biembe, but he is yet to be able to call the player up: “I would like to, but I can’t. There is an administrative problem, a passport problem. This is what Dodo Landu told me… we’ve heard a lot of things, in particular that he was an asylum seeker. But also that there is an identity problem. We wait. One thing is certain, we’ve never heard of this Silas Wamangituka in DR Congo.”

In Kinshasa, Silas Mvumpa Katompa has left his mark…

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/vfb-stuttgart-striker-silas-wamangituka-suspected-of-using-a-fake-name-lequipe/

I guess now he’ll be able to represent his country!

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #15934 on: June 8, 2021, 02:48:51 pm »
It's nothing new though that there has to be much more protection for young players especially in Africa and other poor parts of the world. There was documentary about ten years ago on German TV showing how young kids are brought to Europe with all kinds of promises, but are then often dropped like a hot potatoe when they don't find a club. The main protagonist was Alfred Mapoka, a teenager from Cameroon, who was a talented footballer. Some coach (a European) at a football academy in Cameroon helped him get to Italiy. I don't really remember everything that happened, because I've only watched it once or twice ten years ago, but basically Alfred got opportunity to find a club in Italy, but that didn't work out. He had a shady agent who then got him to Finland and from there he started his footballing career. I think he was one of the lucky ones, because at least according to this (https://www.transfermarkt.at/alfred-mapoka/profil/spieler/49398) he has found various clubs in later years. However, there were stories about other kids I think that were basically brought to Europe and then left on their own when the agents realised they wouldn't be able to make money with them.

I remember that the treatment of young players was a big issue back then and all kinds of regulations were brought in, but I'm not sure how well they're working, because it seems like there are ways around those.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15935 on: June 9, 2021, 11:28:20 am »
One of Bundesliga’s best refs has retired this season, Manuel Gräfe, he’s been a ref in the league for 17 years, and now at age 47 he’s ‘aged out’! Shame really, but them’s the rules.

at his sendoff at Dortmund few weeks ago he got guard of honour by the players, and he swapped shirts with Haaland  ;D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15936 on: June 9, 2021, 02:05:24 pm »
One of Bundesliga’s best refs has retired this season, Manuel Gräfe, he’s been a ref in the league for 17 years, and now at age 47 he’s ‘aged out’! Shame really, but them’s the rules.

at his sendoff at Dortmund few weeks ago he got guard of honour by the players, and he swapped shirts with Haaland  ;D
Seems an odd age to all of a sudden 'age out,' what's the thinking behind this in Germany?

Whilst I've always thought it should be on a case-by-case basis with things like reaction time, fitness and eyesight regularly tested, this may not work as we've some horrendous refs in the Premier League pushing into their mid 50s. If they're still deemed appropriate then what's the point of any tests.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2021, 02:11:26 pm by Drinks Sangria »

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15937 on: June 9, 2021, 02:54:41 pm »
Seems an odd age to all of a sudden 'age out,' what's the thinking behind this in Germany?

Whilst I've always thought it should be on a case-by-case basis with things like reaction time, fitness and eyesight regularly tested, this may not work as we've some horrendous refs in the Premier League pushing into their mid 50s. If they're still deemed appropriate then what's the point of any tests.

Not sure why it is 47, but that is just the age limit the DFB has set a long time ago. One of their reasonings for the young age is cos they don’t want to block progress of young referees, which is fine to a point, but really, taking one of the very best refs out of the game for that reason makes little sense.

Someone like Gräfe is one of the best refs in the league, and he wans’t slowing down last season!  He didn’t want to quit either and apparently there was dialogue with the DFB, but they won’t back down. So it’s a shame. Players speak highly of him too, he’s apparently a very calm personality who doesn’t talk down to players, and they respect him.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15938 on: June 9, 2021, 02:58:28 pm »
Think Italy have a similar rule don't they? Remember they made Collina retire

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15939 on: June 9, 2021, 03:47:04 pm »
Not sure why it is 47, but that is just the age limit the DFB has set a long time ago. One of their reasonings for the young age is cos they don’t want to block progress of young referees, which is fine to a point, but really, taking one of the very best refs out of the game for that reason makes little sense.

Someone like Gräfe is one of the best refs in the league, and he wans’t slowing down last season!  He didn’t want to quit either and apparently there was dialogue with the DFB, but they won’t back down. So it’s a shame. Players speak highly of him too, he’s apparently a very calm personality who doesn’t talk down to players, and they respect him.
In those instances, it does seem a strange decision. Keep the best at the top for as long as they're effective. I don't trust the Premier League to correctly institute any rules or tests to prove efficacy, but like you say this guy is one of the best and showed no signs of diminished quality last season. Seems a bit unfair and counter-intuitive.

I suppose the Premier League can't be too stringent with tests on the current crop, they'd have no one left to referee a game.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15940 on: June 9, 2021, 08:31:28 pm »

Much better to have it be a year or two too early rather than the PL where there are probably half the refs who can’t even keep up with the game anymore.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15941 on: June 10, 2021, 02:53:28 pm »
Not got a Swiss football thread I don’t think  ;D So stick this here, David Wagner is the new head coach of Young Boys Bern.

https://twitter.com/BSC_YB/status/1402973975345500162?s=20

Nice move for him!  Hopefully he does great, it was a rough go at Schalke, but of course, he’s a great bloke, we all know that  ;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15942 on: June 11, 2021, 06:03:15 pm »
I thought he was certain to end up at WBA. Probably a more interesting project for him.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15943 on: June 16, 2021, 12:47:51 pm »
I thought he was certain to end up at WBA. Probably a more interesting project for him.
I think taking a good level job in Switzerland is a good place to focus on his coaching and rebuild his reputation. The way it went to pieces at Huddersfield didn't reflect well on him, then after a brilliant start, Schalke revealed what a basket case club they were and it really went to shit. I don't think it's fair to blame a lot of that on Wagner though. Young Boys are historically successful, have an okay squad (to my meagre knowledge of the Swiss league) and are rich compared to most of the league. It's a good chance to win some trophies domestically and get his name back out there if he can engineer a decent run in Europe.

Seems a good bloke and a decent coach who's made some mistakes early in his career and had some terrible luck.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15944 on: June 25, 2021, 11:55:29 am »
Buli fixtures came out today.

And so of course all the teams' twitters are publising them.

Without a doubt - Augsburg win the day, this is brilliant  ;D

https://twitter.com/FCA_World/status/1408375724373852160?s=20

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15945 on: June 25, 2021, 01:11:23 pm »

Just came on to post this - that's amazing  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15946 on: June 25, 2021, 01:20:44 pm »

The KFC girl with sunglasses up repping Hoffenheim is hot. 8)

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15947 on: June 25, 2021, 01:21:58 pm »

it really is  ;D

The Leipzig one :lmao

Love the Hertha Berlin and FC Köln ones too.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15948 on: June 26, 2021, 02:26:09 pm »
it really is  ;D

The Leipzig one :lmao

Love the Hertha Berlin and FC Köln ones too.
What was the Hertha one referring to?

Romano says Nubel is set to head to Monaco on a 2 year loan.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15949 on: June 26, 2021, 02:33:13 pm »
What was the Hertha one referring to?

Romano says Nubel is set to head to Monaco on a 2 year loan.

the character is called Berlin from La Casa De Papel.

One time ’next big thing’ Fiete Arp also going on loan - to Holstein Kiel. Bayern basically sending out the players they signed just to stop other teams from getting them  ::)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15950 on: June 26, 2021, 07:35:34 pm »
One time ’next big thing’ Fiete Arp also going on loan - to Holstein Kiel. Bayern basically sending out the players they signed just to stop other teams from getting them  ::)

I saw that. They must be hoping there is something in the waters in the Kiel Canal that can help him recapture some of his Hamburg form.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15951 on: June 28, 2021, 01:31:04 am »

Theodor Gebre Selassie's return to Slovan Liberec on a free transfer from Werder Bremen the following day takes the cake
https://twitter.com/FCSlovanLiberec/status/1408787129233199104

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #15952 on: June 28, 2021, 10:52:50 am »
the character is called Berlin from La Casa De Papel.

Fiete Arp didn't really kick on though did he. Played a full season as Bayern II last season and got 5 goals
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15953 on: June 28, 2021, 11:02:50 am »
Fiete Arp didn't really kick on though did he. Played a full season as Bayern II last season and got 5 goals

I know. But he didn’t look particularly good when they signed him, same with Nübel, that’s sort of the point.

Their motives are often very wrong, but no one dare call them out on it. They give absolutey zero shits about these players though of course. Maybe they’ll hit gold once in a while, but often as not many of these players just end up going on random loans for a while. It’s one thing signing a player with the express feeling he can play a part in your near(ish) future, it’s another to sign a player just because you know that player will drop everything to join you, when realistically they needed to either stay, or make a move to a smaller club.

Theodor Gebre Selassie's return to Slovan Liberec on a free transfer from Werder Bremen the following day takes the cake
https://twitter.com/FCSlovanLiberec/status/1408787129233199104

That is an immense effort they went to, very impressive!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15954 on: June 28, 2021, 12:43:40 pm »
Nubel to Monaco for two years is surely Bayern saying 'go and get your playing time, sign a new contract in the interim and come back as Neuer's replacement when he retires.'

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15955 on: June 28, 2021, 12:46:53 pm »
Nubel to Monaco for two years is surely Bayern saying 'go and get your playing time, sign a new contract in the interim and come back as Neuer's replacement when he retires.'

I view it as that, plus

- Make some money from the loan fee
- Shop window if he doesn't hit the heights Bayern are aiming for

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15956 on: June 28, 2021, 12:47:05 pm »

Nübel will probably retire before him at this rate  ;D 

He does need to play and prove himself, he showed some promise at Schalke, but who knows how good he is really, he has only played one full season up to this point. So yeah, maybe that’s the hope, as likely to happen is that he doesn’t end up being anything but an average goalie.

Anyway, at least he’s away from Bayern now, which is the best thing for his career.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15957 on: June 28, 2021, 12:56:11 pm »
Nübel will probably retire before him at this rate  ;D 

He does need to play and prove himself, he showed some promise at Schalke, but who knows how good he is really, he has only played one full season up to this point. So yeah, maybe that’s the hope, as likely to happen is that he doesn’t end up being anything but an average goalie.

Anyway, at least he’s away from Bayern now, which is the best thing for his career.
He was amazing for the U21's, which was my main exposure to him alongside the promise he showed at Schalke. It sounds reductive, but at that level I thought 'fucking hell, they've got another Neuer here.' It would be a shame for him not to make the grade, but you're essentially asking him to get near to the level of possibly the finest Goalkeeper of the last 12 years of European football. Germany has been rich with Keepers in that time and no one has adequately challenged him (I'd argue Ter Stegen chained together a few superior seasons compared to Neuer at that point, but politics kept him from usurping him in the national team).

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15958 on: June 28, 2021, 01:06:36 pm »
He was amazing for the U21's, which was my main exposure to him alongside the promise he showed at Schalke. It sounds reductive, but at that level I thought 'fucking hell, they've got another Neuer here.' It would be a shame for him not to make the grade, but you're essentially asking him to get near to the level of possibly the finest Goalkeeper of the last 12 years of European football. Germany has been rich with Keepers in that time and no one has adequately challenged him (I'd argue Ter Stegen chained together a few superior seasons compared to Neuer at that point, but politics kept him from usurping him in the national team).

U21’s a weird one, Germany’s goalie this time round, Finn Dahmen, looked really good too, but he’s played just 3 first team games for Mainz and isn’t the number 1. But yeah, hopefully he can get back on track and show that it was more than just that early promise. I think it may happen a lot with goalies - that it’s tough to make that step, and most just end up being good rather than great!

The whole thing with ter Stegen was ridiculous, wouldn’t blame him for never even bothering with the German national team again after the way he was treated.  That team has basically been managed by Manuel Neuer the past few seasons. 

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15959 on: June 29, 2021, 08:42:12 pm »
Terzic has taken a role as Dortmund's technical director