Author Topic: Michael Owen  (Read 351424 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: Michael Owen
« Reply #2520 on: August 27, 2018, 03:11:49 pm »
Yeah, I don't have any hate for the guy myself.
nope

he won trophies, scored goals and in some big games too

cant just wipe away all the good stuff as if it never happened
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2521 on: August 27, 2018, 03:33:39 pm »
He had a chance to come back to Liverpool after RM, and he didn't take it. The reason for that was that he wanted first team football, which was more or less guaranteed at NUFC, and the reason he wanted that was so that he could hold Rooney's hand in the 2006 World Cup. As it turned out, he injured himself in the very first minute of that tournament.

Also, he played for the fucking Mancs for three years.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #2522 on: August 27, 2018, 03:45:37 pm »
He had a chance to come back to Liverpool after RM, and he didn't take it. The reason for that was that he wanted first team football, which was more or less guaranteed at NUFC, and the reason he wanted that was so that he could hold Rooney's hand in the 2006 World Cup. As it turned out, he injured himself in the very first minute of that tournament.

He said that he'd patched things up with Rafa and was cert to come back but we had a fixed limit of £10m and wouldn't go to the £16m that Newcastle jumped in and agreed with RM.

Don't know if any of you watched Live Premier League Tonight but I thought it was really interesting and sad at the same time listening to Owen talk in detail how he snapped his hamstring and was literally playing with two hamstring muscles in one leg and three in his other leg for pretty much his whole career. He talked about how he was petrified to run the channels in fear of tearing his hamstring again and would deliberately play in other areas of the pitch. He said he knew if Macca had the ball he'd be expecting him to run in behind but he just couldn't do it.

Owen, also talks about the time he wanted to rejoin us from Madrid for £10m (everything was agreed with Benitez) but Newcastle came in with a £16m bid and we weren't prepared to match them having sold him for £8m the previous year. When he joined Newcastle he had it in his contract that he could join us every year for an agreed price but it never happened. He even spoke to Carra and Rodgers but we had Suarez at the time.

Watch from 11 minutes to about 27 minutes

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w8sbobQylWI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w8sbobQylWI</a>

It really is quite sad. Take away the entitlement and myopic arrogance and you can feel his frustration at the situation he found himself in - compounding bad decisions with more bad decisions and a fuckton of regret.

It's also telling that I miss Sabu Pundit more than Michael Owen.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 03:56:02 pm by McrRed »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2523 on: August 27, 2018, 04:28:29 pm »
I don't harbour any hate for him, he is what he is, a bit of a tool who wasn't a proper red. Not enough for me to hate or feel any real anger about. I think it's because he came here through as a youngster so we properly viewed him as ours, don't think the level of animosity would be quite the same if he was a foreign player who had fucked us a bit for a big move to Real and then ended up at the Mancs. He wasn't a foreign player of course, but it's how I see him, Suarez, Coutinho, Torres level. Which is sad of course, but he just doesn't and probably never had that connection and attachment to us that Gerrard, Carra, others have, just not that type of person.

It's sad his career went the way he did.

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2524 on: August 27, 2018, 04:29:51 pm »
It's a very sad interview that, it's up to each fan of course but personally I moved on from any lingering hatred of him some time back. It's just sad how his medical care was done, iirc in a previous interview he said the club physio was on holiday after that injury, there was no care, no rehab plan, nothing.

He was easily up there with Ronaldo before the Leeds injury, and you sense a little bit of closure would be nice for him, if he ever turns up at Anfield again hope he gets treated ok, finds a bit of peace.

Owen was a quality player prior to his injury (and still pretty good after that) but lets not get it twisted, he wasn't even close to the Brazilian Ronaldo's level.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:32:39 pm by HardworkDedication »

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #2525 on: August 27, 2018, 05:03:39 pm »
He had a chance to come back to Liverpool after RM, and he didn't take it. The reason for that was that he wanted first team football, which was more or less guaranteed at NUFC, and the reason he wanted that was so that he could hold Rooney's hand in the 2006 World Cup.

Surely those are assertions, not facts. And directly contradicted by what Owen himself is claiming in the interview.

he is what he is, a bit of a tool who wasn't a proper red.

That seems fair, it´s the "cartoon villain" stuff about Owen that´s always seemed baffling and tedious to me at least.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:07:48 pm by Bjornar »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2526 on: August 27, 2018, 05:08:46 pm »
I watched it and don't care what he says,the lad is an arsehole.

Can any of you imagine Gary Neville signing for us even if we were the only side in for him ?  He wouldn't because he gets United fans,loves his shitty club and realises that if he did his whole career would be tarnished because of it.

Fuck Owen,he should be nowhere near our club,we have lots of ex-players who would do a better job as ambassador.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2527 on: August 27, 2018, 05:15:46 pm »
I tell ya, Diouf wouldn't have gone to that shower.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2528 on: August 27, 2018, 05:39:09 pm »
That interview just shows how disrespectful the guy is.

- He still doesn’t understand why Liverpool fans were pissed at him for leaving, unaware of how cheaply he made us let him go for.
- Signed a 4/5 year contract at Madrid despite only wanting to be there for a year or two. 
- He was happy to take the wages Newcastle were paying him despite not wanting to join and despite wanting to play elsewhere.
- He was happy to take the wages Man United and then Stoke were paying him despite him wanting to retire.

Literally just pisses on the fans of five different clubs within a 10 minute interview.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2529 on: August 27, 2018, 05:44:36 pm »
That interview just shows how disrespectful the guy is.

- He still doesn’t understand why Liverpool fans were pissed at him for leaving, unaware of how cheaply he made us let him go for.
- Signed a 4/5 year contract at Madrid despite only wanting to be there for a year or two. 
- He was happy to take the wages Newcastle were paying him despite not wanting to join and despite wanting to play elsewhere.
- He was happy to take the wages Man United and then Stoke were paying him despite him wanting to retire.

Literally just pisses on the fans of five different clubs within a 10 minute interview.

Well done, he's 12.

;D

But that video against that kid really summed him up.

Used to idolize him, still haven't forgave him for going to the Mancs.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2530 on: August 27, 2018, 05:50:32 pm »
Well done, he's 12.

;D

But that video against that kid really summed him up.

Used to idolize him, still haven't forgave him for going to the Mancs.

Nev wanted to slap him didn't he.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #2531 on: August 27, 2018, 08:17:03 pm »
Had he announced that he wanted to go to Real Madrid early in the season try something new etc as Keegan did in his last season i would have some respect for him but he and his agent strung the club along and the fans like idiots claiming he would sign the contract when he had no intention of doing so and sitting on the bench so he didnt get cup tied and as far as i was concerned that was enough to never want him back, his so called honest interview left a few vital bits out and i appreciate his goals but he is never going to be a legend for me.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #2532 on: August 27, 2018, 11:14:05 pm »
Can any of you imagine Gary Neville signing for us even if we were the only side in for him ?

He´d snap your arm off in that scenario.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2533 on: August 28, 2018, 09:16:37 am »
I just can’t like Michael Owen. He is self serving. Just proved it by disrespecting Newcastle in that interview he just gave. He just can’t help himself. He’d do well to just stop talking and whining, and find a new passion to concentrate on. Because one thing is for sure - he is a fucking awful pundit and commentator. He should stick to the horses. Or maybe just get himself a private box at old Trafford and enjoy spending all that money he made in his self serving career. Can imagine the cretin laughing at the poor little people in the stands. Little sod.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2534 on: August 28, 2018, 11:39:00 am »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #2535 on: August 29, 2018, 03:45:42 am »
You see Torres talk, and you see a genuine sense of regret over his decision and what happened.

You see Owen talk, and he just seems baffled why Liverpool fans don't like him.

One is a foreign player, the other was bred through Liverpool's youth system.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2536 on: August 29, 2018, 08:12:31 am »
I haven't watched the interview yet, but I honestly don't bear him no malice, life goes on. Yes, I don't adore him like I do with Suarez and to a lesser extent Torres, but I remember the happy times too - the Owen final for example.

Disagree or agree, at the time of his astronomical rise with us from his goal scoring debut against Wimbledon, the club wasn't being run particularly well, it was almost amateurish. The club, more so Houllier, relied on Owen to do the business for us and you could argue the lad suffered as a result.

That said, the way the whole Real Madrid thing was handled on both sides left a very bitter taste in my mouth, even to the point when Rafa tried to convince us he would have signed Tony Nunez regardless!

I did feel slightly sorry for him when he was practically bending over backwards to come back to us, but it never happened. I read at the time the club had already produced a press release to announce it, but....and its a massive but, joining our rivals was an unforgiveable act in my eyes, how can you go from being a darling of the Kop to one of Fergie's bitches?
Scoring a winner in the Manchester derby in outrageously extended injury time literally boiled my piss, but I also have to question the mentality of who made him a club ambassador in 2016.

I guess from a personal point of view I've been lucky to see some of the greats play at Anfield, Kenny, Robbie, Rush, Torres and Luis, do I feel a love for Owen in the same way I do for them? Not really, but I don't hate him, that's a strong word, I don't even dislike the lad.

People move on.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #2537 on: August 29, 2018, 09:26:09 am »
How did he screw us over for the transfer fee we received for him?

And surely McManaman screwed us over by running down his contract to leave for Madrid?

We have had a series of players who have left under a variety of clouds, going back to Kevin Keegan, but I don't get the hate, just because at the end of his career he played for United.

Not that he played that often.

I remember United fans taking the mick out of him. 'He's just that guy that runs up and doen the touchline'.

This was after the City goal too.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2538 on: August 29, 2018, 09:52:43 am »
When I was listening to Owen speak it did make me draw comparison to Sturridge. And by that I mean the way Sturridge no longer runs the channel and the fact that it's quite noticeable that he doesn't run full pelt even if he has lost a yard of pace. The other comparison is the bit where Owen said his father and brothers all sufferered muscle injuries and he thinks it's down to genetics why he's had the same problems. Sturridge's family also had a history of this too.

You're absolutely right and this is the first time I've seen Sturridge come to terms with it IMO. To me, Sturridge was showing signs of losing pace as early as 14/15 but by 15/16 it was very obvious. It's strange it has taken this long for people to accept that he's lost the speed and needs to adapt his game. Michael Owen did it to some effect but clearly he was no longer the explosive Mbappe type that he was in the very early part of his career.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #2539 on: August 29, 2018, 03:38:23 pm »

I did feel slightly sorry for him when he was practically bending over backwards to come back to us, but it never happened.

No, no he did not.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2540 on: August 29, 2018, 04:49:50 pm »
Surely those are assertions, not facts. And directly contradicted by what Owen himself is claiming in the interview.

That seems fair, it´s the "cartoon villain" stuff about Owen that´s always seemed baffling and tedious to me at least.

I was told at the time of the meeting he had with Parry, that Parry asked him to tell Madrid to fuck off with the Newcastle bid and if they didn't accept our offer instead, he would happily sit on the bench and continue to draw his wages.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2541 on: August 30, 2018, 01:15:11 pm »

still feels weird and wrong... he was the reason i started following the club... 98,99?

but then again he was a professional, needed to go where they wanted and payed him the most... he sold his soul to the devil with that move...

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2542 on: August 30, 2018, 03:14:35 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't bring myself to quote that as it would mean one more visual representation of an abomination.

Can barely look at it to be honest.

Struggling to comprehend the decision to confer LFC Ambassador status on the fella

EDIT - off topic but anyone know what the Red Manc fan feeling is towards Ince?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:16:12 pm by Red-Dread »
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2543 on: August 30, 2018, 03:32:08 pm »
This thread strays into Everton moral judgements.

Time to close it before it becomes embarrassing.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2544 on: August 30, 2018, 03:38:52 pm »
This thread strays into Everton moral judgements.

Time to close it before it becomes embarrassing.

I agree, there doesn't seem to be anything to talk about anyway apart from how much some on here hate him.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2545 on: August 30, 2018, 07:10:05 pm »
I agree, there doesn't seem to be anything to talk about anyway apart from how much some on here hate him.

Soooo.....logically, if you have nothing to discuss about Michael Owen the logical thing (logically) would be to, you know, not go into the Michael Owen former player thread? And instead of closing it for people talking about Michael Owen, usually negatively, maybe if you think its a bit much....just avoid it?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2546 on: August 31, 2018, 01:23:02 pm »
It used to piss me off no end that Ged picked Owen over Fowler on a regular basis. Sacrilege!!!!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2547 on: August 31, 2018, 01:54:15 pm »

By that logic we should close the Hodgson thread as well? 

Let people vent imo. 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2548 on: August 31, 2018, 05:29:30 pm »

Let people vent imo.

But you can't compare Owen's contribution to us winning trophies to the Owl's contribution to making us a little bit shit.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2549 on: August 31, 2018, 05:31:59 pm »

Let people vent imo.

Hodgson had zero positive impact on this club, whilst Owen had plenty. I don't like that he joined United, but he was a good player for us.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2550 on: August 31, 2018, 05:32:12 pm »
He´d snap your arm off in that scenario.

Like fuck he would.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2551 on: August 31, 2018, 06:24:47 pm »
Hodgson had zero positive impact on this club, whilst Owen had plenty. I don't like that he joined United, but he was a good player for us.

You seem to be indignant that the majority of the forum are either indifferent to Owen or highly negative towards him, and I get the impression that you don't think that's appropriate because of the positive contribution he made to the club.

I get that.  But just because you don't like the majority view isn't reason enough to lock the thread.  Personally I don't think the Hodgson thread serves a purpose anymore; it's like picking at an old wound.  But I guess whilst he is still an active manager of a PL club it's valid it stays open, even though it can be a hate frenzy at times.  I guess it's okay to hate on Hodgson because we're all on the same page.

But we're all about opinions here.  Owen denigrated his own legacy towards this club through his behaviour; it could be argued that's worse than Hodgson because the latter has always been a tit, but we held Owen to a higher standard.  And at the end of the day Owen's positive contribution to this club is a long way in the past now.

For the record I'm mostly indifferent towards him.  I'm feeling annoyed at the moment because, despite his valid frustrations, he still comes across as trying to rewrite history.  The bottom line is that he wasn't forced out and he made some very poor career choices once he left.  What happened to him at the club, well yes LFC has to take some responsibility for that.  But the rest is all his own work and he should stop complaining about it.  He has his millions and his race horses, and he's likely a lot more comfortable in his life than many of the fans who once idolised him.

Popcorn's Art

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2552 on: August 31, 2018, 06:28:54 pm »
You seem to be indignant that the majority of the forum are either indifferent to Owen or highly negative towards him, and I get the impression that you don't think that's appropriate because of the positive contribution he made to the club.

I get that.  But just because you don't like the majority view isn't reason enough to lock the thread.  Personally I don't think the Hodgson thread serves a purpose anymore; it's like picking at an old wound.  But I guess whilst he is still an active manager of a PL club it's valid it stays open, even though it can be a hate frenzy at times.  I guess it's okay to hate on Hodgson because we're all on the same page.

But we're all about opinions here.  Owen denigrated his own legacy towards this club through his behaviour; it could be argued that's worse than Hodgson because the latter has always been a tit, but we held Owen to a higher standard.  And at the end of the day Owen's positive contribution to this club is a long way in the past now.

For the record I'm mostly indifferent towards him.  I'm feeling annoyed at the moment because, despite his valid frustrations, he still comes across as trying to rewrite history.  The bottom line is that he wasn't forced out and he made some very poor career choices once he left.  What happened to him at the club, well yes LFC has to take some responsibility for that.  But the rest is all his own work and he should stop complaining about it.  He has his millions and his race horses, and he's likely a lot more comfortable in his life than many of the fans who once idolised him.

Pretty much this. Good post.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2553 on: August 31, 2018, 06:46:00 pm »

I don't mind people being indifferent to him, I'm indifferent to him myself. I just don't see the need to be overly hateful towards him.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2554 on: August 31, 2018, 06:52:21 pm »
I don't mind people being indifferent to him, I'm indifferent to him myself. I just don't see the need to be overly hateful towards him.

Why would you care? Its tucked away nicely in the 'former players' forum. You'll be campaigning for the Sebastian Leto thread to be closed next  :butt
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2555 on: August 31, 2018, 07:41:14 pm »

Maybe it's down to the fact that time and again Owen has shown himself up to be a bit of a knob?  That has nothing to do with his days as a player or his contribution.

There are other former players - Murphy, Redknapp, Lawro to name but a few - who are complete bell ends who also made positive contributions to this club, but are arguably deserving of the vitriol they get.  I don't see why Owen is any different.  Others, like Hansen, are more respected.

Owen seems to think that we, as fans, owe him in some way.  Now perhaps indeed his career suffered and was shortened by the way the club handled his injuries and fitness, but he was hardly being short changed for his services.  He joined up with two of the biggest clubs on the planet after ditching us.

Maybe he stares at that PL winners medal of his and feels some lingering resentment because, deep down, he knows he didn't really earn it, or deserve it?  And he blames Liverpool for that?  At least McManaman scored a winning goal in a CL final. 

This bitching towards the fans "you don't know what it was like behind the scenes" is getting stale though.  Even Torres has figured out it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.  Because once again, it's the choices he made after he left that stung Liverpool fans.  They would probably have been far more sympathetic towards him if he hadn't gone to United, or clearly been so obsessed with playing for England.

Plenty of players have done well for us and still been complete wankers.  Owen doesn't get a pass.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 07:42:45 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2556 on: August 31, 2018, 07:43:34 pm »
Owen seems to think that we, as fans, owe him in some way.  Now perhaps indeed his career suffered and was shortened by the way the club handled his injuries and fitness, but he was hardly being short changed for his services.  He joined up with two of the biggest clubs on the planet.

You think? I don't think he gives a fuck, that's probably where the annoyance towards him comes from.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2557 on: August 31, 2018, 07:49:46 pm »
You think? I don't think he gives a fuck, that's probably where the annoyance towards him comes from.

Just me guessing really.  Why else constantly try to explain "your" side of the story if you're not trying to change the fans' minds about you?  And if you don't care what they think why bother?

It's like he pretends not to care but it still clearly rankles him that he's not adored the way Gerrard is.  Even McManaman gets better treatment.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2558 on: August 31, 2018, 07:51:52 pm »
Why are people arsed. He's gone, that ship for legendary status sailed long ago. People should neither afford him the bile, or the adulation. He's just a name in a long list of players who have played for us. There is only a small few that are held at the esteem level. Sadly for Michael, he isn't in that group.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2559 on: August 31, 2018, 08:10:30 pm »
Why are people arsed. He's gone, that ship for legendary status sailed long ago. People should neither afford him the bile, or the adulation. He's just a name in a long list of players who have played for us. There is only a small few that are held at the esteem level. Sadly for Michael, he isn't in that group.

Exactly! ;D