Author Topic: R.I.P Yosser Hughes  (Read 1003 times)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
R.I.P Yosser Hughes
« on: May 5, 2024, 03:21:38 pm »
I just heard that Bernard Hill has passed away, a very sad day.   :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68962192

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: R.I.P Yosser Hughes
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2024, 03:26:01 pm »
I was too young to watch it, yet I know who Yosser Hughes was.   Everyone knew.  An iconic character that captured a nation.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2024, 03:35:16 pm »
RIP Bernard Hill AKA Yosser Hughes, the scene in the Boys from the Blackstuff with Souness Yosser says “You look like me”😂😂
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

AND Mr KENWRIGHT YOU CAN STICK YOUR FUCKING GROUNDSHARE UP YOUR ARSE!

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2024, 03:47:59 pm »
Aww sad news. RIP Bernard.  :(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2024, 04:04:12 pm »
RIP Bernard .
He gave us one of the most memorable characters in British tv history with Yosser hughes.
Outstanding performance,funny,brutal and absolutely heartbreaking as his life and mental health fell apart.
The confession box scene an all time classic.
Im desperate father
Call me Dan
Im desperate Dan  :lmao

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5 on: May 5, 2024, 04:54:43 pm »
RIP Bernard.

A friend of Mrs Spion is an actor who has done some work with him. He said he was a really nice fella.

Sad news.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #6 on: May 5, 2024, 05:12:16 pm »
So sad to hear about this  :'(

RIP

Loved Boys From the Blackstuff.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 5, 2024, 07:43:49 pm »
Yosser Hughes : Gizza job! I can do that!

Yosser Hughes : You're Graham Souness... you look like me.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #8 on: May 5, 2024, 08:19:00 pm »
One series i can't watch is Boys From The Blackstuff, not because of the writing, but because it's a documentary [not a fictional drama] of what Liverpool [& the Merseyside region] was like in the 80s under Thatcher.

RIP Yosser
#Sausages

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: May 5, 2024, 09:04:12 pm »
One series i can't watch is Boys From The Blackstuff, not because of the writing, but because it's a documentary [not a fictional drama] of what Liverpool [& the Merseyside region] was like in the 80s under Thatcher.

RIP Yosser
I first started going to Liverpool in the mid to late 70s and as a 16 year old it was clear to me that the city was in decline then but I found it fascinating and very quickly loved the place .but by the early 80s thatcher and her government had really started sticking the boot in and I realised that behind those front doors on those rough looking housing estates and dodgy looking high rise blocks there was real people like yosser ,Chrissy and their families breaking apart ,men like George dying but trying to keep their dignity and the cause of this was a heartless ,vindictive,evil bitch revelling in their suffering.
So when boys from the black stuff was televised it was indeed a documentary and like me ,it helped open the country’s eyes to what that bitch was doing to this great city.
A magnificent piece of work with magnificent performances,not least from Bernard hill.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2024, 09:14:47 am »
RIP

I went to the Royal Court in Liverpool on Tuesday to see "Boys from the Blackstuff" - powerful stuff even now.

He was a great actor and I loved that he was a key character in Lord of the Rings.

RIP.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2024, 09:17:31 am »

RIP Yosser

Why can't you watch it? I lived in Liverpool in the 80s (And still do now) and I found it powerful, compelling, moving, riviting and a really good view into what life was like for many folk.

You can't hide away from life.

Liverpool in the 80s compared to where I was living in the 70s was an absolute place in heaven and the beauty of it was the lovely and fantastic people that inhabited this wonderful city. If things got worse then the people got better. So many people helped me and I tried to help so many others - that's where my political drive came from - the idea that if things get bad for you then you can work even harder to help those worse off than yourself.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2024, 09:58:46 am »

RIP Yosser
It is a tough watch at times but if you can steel yourself for just one episode you should make an effort for the one that focussed on Yosser Hughes. It's sad but it's also funny, the script is sensational and it's a performance from Hill that is truly stunning.

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 6, 2024, 11:35:48 am »
He narrated the Wild China documentaries, could listen to him and get lost in what he was narrating, cant think of a higher compliment

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2024, 11:49:56 am »
RIP Bernard.

A great actor of an iconic character.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 6, 2024, 11:54:11 am »
Sad news - an Iconic character.  A quirk of fate that he died on Graham Souness' birthday
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 6, 2024, 09:22:06 pm »
I was very sad to hear about this today. Bernard Hill was a very talented actor who first came to prominence with his incredible and powerful performance when playing the character Yosser in the Boys from the Blackstuff series. The series itself was an absolute masterpiece in the way as a viewer you would be drawn into the story lines and become so invested in the characters and almost pulling for them whilst watching their daily struggles.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 6, 2024, 09:23:18 pm »
RIP

I went to the Royal Court in Liverpool on Tuesday to see "Boys from the Blackstuff" - powerful stuff even now.

He was a great actor and I loved that he was a key character in Lord of the Rings.

RIP.

I didn't know this was on? I wish I could have gone to see this show.
 :(
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #18 on: May 6, 2024, 09:30:52 pm »
I didn't know this was on? I wish I could have gone to see this show.
 :(

Just seen it’s coming to London.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 6, 2024, 10:30:25 pm »
Yes, Garrick Theatre London, tickets from £24

https://eventim.ticketswitch.com/book/1G5E4-boys-from-the-blackstuff/

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 6, 2024, 11:00:49 pm »
Recall a scene on BFTB where Yosser’s in a confession booth with a priest, and says, “I’m desperate father” Priest replies, “call me Dan son”.  Yosser replies,  “I’m desperate Dan”.  And then headbutts the confession booth in frustration😄. 

Great mix of tragedy and comedy was BFTB.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 7, 2024, 08:26:02 am »
Even though he was born in Manchester I always thought of him as one of our own. I seem to remember during his audio commentary on LotR - The Two Towers that he said his line, "no parent should bury their child" came from talking with Hillsborough families.

A true legend. RIP.

EDIT: I see he's in the Responder as well. He's more Scouse than Manc this fella. ;D
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 08:28:00 am by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #22 on: May 7, 2024, 12:26:41 pm »
Recall a scene on BFTB where Yosser’s in a confession booth with a priest, and says, “I’m desperate father” Priest replies, “call me Dan son”.  Yosser replies,  “I’m desperate Dan”.  And then headbutts the confession booth in frustration😄. 

I loved the scene when the policeman (played by Andrew Schofield) says "Don't but me..."  :lmao

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 7, 2024, 04:08:06 pm »
When he's in the Pub and nuts the "shake hands" fella.    :lickin

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 7, 2024, 05:27:08 pm »
When he's in the Pub and nuts the "shake hands" fella.    :lickin

:butt ;D

It's kind of appropriate that the LotR cast have been at Liverpool comic con this weekend. Bernard was supposed to be there too, but cancelled last minute.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #25 on: May 7, 2024, 09:17:59 pm »
I loved the scene when the policeman (played by Andrew Schofield) says "Don't but me..."  :lmao

Watched that episode last night.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 7, 2024, 09:51:22 pm »
Even though he was born in Manchester I always thought of him as one of our own. I seem to remember during his audio commentary on LotR - The Two Towers that he said his line, "no parent should bury their child" came from talking with Hillsborough families.

A true legend. RIP.

EDIT: I see he's in the Responder as well. He's more Scouse than Manc this fella. ;D

Aye, it takes a special bloke who was both a Mancunian and a big United fan to be considered an adopted scouser. As you say, legend.
 ;D 

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 7, 2024, 10:03:57 pm »
Aye, it takes a special bloke who was both a Mancunian and a big United fan to be considered an adopted scouser. As you say, legend.
 ;D

You know what's crazy? Filming Boys from the Black Stuff, he would have seen Liverpool at it's lowest ebb. Yet if he had been well, he would have been at Liverpool Comic Con this weekend, in an exhibition centre by the River Mersey and the Royal Albert Dock in a city completely apart from the role he played.

Whenever I think of those jibes about "workshy Scousers", I think of him. His depiction of a man desperate for the dignity of a job - ANY job. I think he got us better than almost anybody else has in years, before or since.

This entire city should have nothing but love for this great man.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 7, 2024, 10:48:08 pm »
You know what's crazy? Filming Boys from the Black Stuff, he would have seen Liverpool at it's lowest ebb. Yet if he had been well, he would have been at Liverpool Comic Con this weekend, in an exhibition centre by the River Mersey and the Royal Albert Dock in a city completely apart from the role he played.

Whenever I think of those jibes about "workshy Scousers", I think of him. His depiction of a man desperate for the dignity of a job - ANY job. I think he got us better than almost anybody else has in years, before or since.

I'd imagine being brought up in Blackley would have kept him grounded, it isn't renowned as being the poshish of areas. My first car came from over there back in 1986, a 1978 Vauxhall Cavalier that did 0-60 in about 25 minutes. My dad took me over there to pick it up from a garage called Crumpsall Motors and whilst driving back, it started raining quite heavily which is unusual around there I believe! Anyway with the wipers on and working their nuts off one of them fell off and I was half having to hang out of the drivers window to see where I was going on the M62. From then on I was forever known as the person who'd bought a car from 'Crumple Motors' by all my friends and family!
 ;D 

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 7, 2024, 11:13:46 pm »
I'd imagine being brought up in Blackley would have kept him grounded, it isn't renowned as being the poshish of areas. My first car came from over there back in 1986, a 1978 Vauxhall Cavalier that did 0-60 in about 25 minutes. My dad took me over there to pick it up from a garage called Crumpsall Motors and whilst driving back, it started raining quite heavily which is unusual around there I believe! Anyway with the wipers on and working their nuts off one of them fell off and I was half having to hang out of the drivers window to see where I was going on the M62. From then on I was forever known as the person who'd bought a car from 'Crumple Motors' by all my friends and family!
 ;D

;D

It's probably confirmation bias, given all the Liverpool based stuff he was in during the 80s, but he always sounded Scouse to me - even in LotR :lmao

Popcorn's Art

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #30 on: May 8, 2024, 07:49:58 am »

It was the toughest of times for Liverpool when bftb was filmed in early 82 .I was a regular match goer at the time and had been since the late 70s so had seen this decline setting in ,which by the 80s thatcher and the tories were really getting into their vicious and vindictive stride and once they had Liverpool in their sights it wasn’t going to be pretty.managed decline was how they described it in secret papers that were released 30 years later ,unbelievable they could deliberately do this to a major British city out of spite.
For me seeing this was being down the pier head one Saturday morning and walking past the Albert dock and seeing this magnificent piece of architecture derelict,dirty ,filthy,the dock full of silt and surely just waiting for the demolition men to turn up at some point and thinking what chance have they got .then a few weeks later the episode where Chrissy takes George round it reminiscing about how it was a thriving place offering work and hope to men was broadcast showing it to the nation in all its decay just moved me ,I’d seen it with my eyes and felt the impact of it all.
Seeing Liverpool at its lowest ebb all around him while getting ready for and filming his scenes must have inspired him to bring the character to life ,a character that reflected the city ,down on his knees ,attacked from all sides and everything being taken slowly but surely from him .but like the city he refused to be beaten and fought back trying his very best to hang on to what he did have ,often very violently just to survive .
Bernard hill gave us a character that you could believe and found yourself cheering for him ,hoping he would make it and his life would turnaround but most of the time you felt he was lost .he provoked ,sympathy,empathy,anger,laughter and despair as character and that showed what a great actor Bernard was to get the whole nation talking and feeling those emotions about a fictional person.
It’s very rare you can say that a manc has done Liverpool proud.
RIP Bernard Hill

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 8, 2024, 11:14:11 am »
SNIP

I remember as a kid in the 70s going to visit my Nan's house, a terrace just off Breck Road. It was an old house but decent and the family seemed happy there. That felt like it changed when they were moved to the new Low Hill estate as part of the slum clearance programme. The houses looked decent but were plagued by building quality problems and the estate layout added to the subsequent social problems. By the early to mid 80s the estate was firmly in the grip of the druggies and whilst my grand parents seemed happy enough I think they developed a fear of leaving the house especially at night and I couldn't help but think that other parts of the Hughes family that ended up in Kirkby probably had the better deal.

By the mid 80s as a teenager, I'd then be getting the train (even they were knackered) into Liverpool most weekends either to go to the match or into town and I'd visit my Nan's. The whole area just seemed to continue on a downhill spiral and I felt like the estate had developed an uncomfortable vibe. Most of my uncles worked on Kirkby industrial estate and had moved out of the city by then, the one uncle that stayed in the city was a builder and was always working away anyway. Eventually even most of the industrial estate was demolished putting them out of work and driving them further out of the area. It was grim, everywhere you'd look around the city, the suburbs and the industrial estates you'd see neglect and dereliction. The only positives seem to be the football and also I still enjoyed going into Liverpool or to Kirkby market shopping as there was always a bargain to be had with whatever cash you had in your pocket, Scousers are if nothing else survivors in that regard.

Throughout all that, I have say that the majority of my family always remained upbeat and maintained a remarkable sense of humour, you didn't really have time to feel sorry for yourself with all the piss taking. Just some really naturally funny people with lightning fast wit, absolute diamonds and I deeply miss those that have passed. In a way the news about Bernard has brought back lots of memories about them and that era of time.   

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: May 8, 2024, 12:04:00 pm »
I remember as a kid in the 70s going to visit my Nan's house, a terrace just off Breck Road. It was an old house but decent and the family seemed happy there. That felt like it changed when they were moved to the new Low Hill estate as part of the slum clearance programme. The houses looked decent but were plagued by building quality problems and the estate layout added to the subsequent social problems. By the early to mid 80s the estate was firmly in the grip of the druggies and whilst my grand parents seemed happy enough I think they developed a fear of leaving the house especially at night and I couldn't help but think that other parts of the Hughes family that ended up in Kirkby probably had the better deal.

By the mid 80s as a teenager, I'd then be getting the train (even they were knackered) into Liverpool most weekends either to go to the match or into town and I'd visit my Nan's. The whole area just seemed to continue on a downhill spiral and I felt like the estate had developed an uncomfortable vibe. Most of my uncles worked on Kirkby industrial estate and had moved out of the city by then, the one uncle that stayed in the city was a builder and was always working away anyway. Eventually even most of the industrial estate was demolished putting them out of work and driving them further out of the area. It was grim, everywhere you'd look around the city, the suburbs and the industrial estates you'd see neglect and dereliction. The only positives seem to be the football and also I still enjoyed going into Liverpool or to Kirkby market shopping as there was always a bargain to be had with whatever cash you had in your pocket, Scousers are if nothing else survivors in that regard.

Throughout all that, I have say that the majority of my family always remained upbeat and maintained a remarkable sense of humour, you didn't really have time to feel sorry for yourself with all the piss taking. Just some really naturally funny people with lightning fast wit, absolute diamonds and I deeply miss those that have passed. In a way the news about Bernard has brought back lots of memories about them and that era of time.
That was very much my view of Liverpool back then.seeing all those run down places and just wondering how much worse things could get.
I remember walking to anfield from the city centre and seeing the “piggeries” as they were known just amazed that people were expected to live in those places ,incredible.
But I also found that the people were great ,down their luck and not much going right but the humour ,friendliness and spirit was fantastic it was a pleasure to meet people like that.
I went all over the country following the reds and many other cities and towns weren’t much better.Manchester was a dump ,dodgy as fuck in places ,anyone who went to Maine road knew you had to have eyes in the back of your head .Leeds ,Newcastle ,Birmingham,London all on their knees.
I went to Stamford bridge for the first time in 78 ,really looking forward to it,it had a certain glamour attached to it in the70 I grew up in … wow ,what  a  fucking dump ,a shit hole.complete let down ,how naive I was .even the whole kings road ,Fulham road area was scruffy ,run down ,dirty .
And to cap a miserable day we lost 4-2 I think it was ,fa cup .so it puzzled me when away fans would turn up at anfield and sing in your Liverpool slums ,no self awareness and still to this day.

Offline Swoop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2024, 10:16:09 pm »
This series, and this 9 minutes in particular have lived with me since I saw it broadcast in 1982.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2wp6t4

If you lived through it in this city it was heartbreaking. I remember our kid being made redundant 6 months before the end of his apprenticeship as a toolmaker, no jobs anywhere. He was dumped on one of thatchers Youth Opportunity Schemes. No BS, day one he turned up at a site opposite the rocket. He was handed a sledgehammer and told to break flagstones into gravel size pieces. Told them to fuck off and left instantly, benefits stopped instantly.

Him and my other brother did what most had to and buggered off to london for work.

I fuckin hate the Tories and that few weeks when I was 15 watching our kid go through that cemented my lifelong hatred of the twats.
Its a dogs life for me