Author Topic: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Middlesbrough | Sunday 21st May, 2017 | KO 15:00 (BST)  (Read 59941 times)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Must win. Endless and forever must win. It feels like every game has been must win for an eternity. When the pressure grows that’s always the case. It’s something, as a club and a fanbase, we need to get our heads around. Successful seasons involve a run-in. Run-in’s involve pressure. Pressure is good, despite the arse falling out of the bulk of our fanbase. Thankfully the high-vis Reds are onboard with a run-in. With must win. After dispatching a depleted but potentially problematic West Ham United in their dreadful new stadium, that’s now four straight away wins for Klopp’s men, and each of them against exactly the kind of direct, physical proposition that history suggested would cause problems. Not only that, but it’s also four clean sheets from five. The imperfect Reds have stood up when it mattered, and that shouldn’t be overlooked when the time comes to assess the futures of these players.

Many of the questions being raised ahead of the visit to ‘The London Stadium’, or whatever it’s called now, were around Liverpool falling short in decisive moments. Or Klopp losing sight of his own ideals. Arses falling out all around us. Mine included. Well, on Sunday, after an opening ten where systems needed figuring out, both questions were answered emphatically. Coutinho in a role we’ve barely seen him since our last real run-in, in 13/14, and offering the kind of vision, purpose and ambition that we’ve sorely lacked in our midfield in recent weeks (Klopp’s comments on his plans for Coutinho moving forward should excite us all, and hopefully, provided the right additions are made in the front line, go some way to solving the recurring problem in breaking down low block teams at Anfield). Sturridge showing exactly what Origi has been lacking, with a display of intelligence and instinct that just can’t be taught. He’s such a clever footballer, Sturridge. Not the footballer that we signed in January 2013, but one that has proven that he can adapt whilst retaining that rare ability to impose himself on a game and change it in an instant. The kind of adaptation that has eluded some very, very good footballers down the years. If there’s any way to be found to keep him at the club for next season, we should do it. Replacing even this version of Sturridge will be easier said than done. The intensity and adventure on display against West Ham was a vast improvement on recent showings and in no small part the result of the aforementioned duo and their respective impacts. Retaining both, and ideally the shape as well, for the visit of Middlesbrough is surely a must.

And so, we come to the final game of an often puzzlingly ironic, contradictory season. The curtain coming down on a season that, irrespective of the result at Anfield on Sunday, will represent tangible progress. 13-16 points and 3-5 league places worth of progress, to be (at least vaguely) exact. Of course, it has been interspersed with a sense of frustration over the inability to build on the excellent first half of the campaign, the end of which arguably came with the reverse fixture in the North East in mid-December, and the reasons for that will need to be critically reviewed by those within the club come the summer. Lack of depth to the squad was certainly a key factor and that needs to be improved with a European campaign on the horizon, and yet improving the squad should not be the aim in itself. All eyes should be on the first eleven. Target the kind of quality that come in and improve the team whilst simultaneously retaining the base we have, and the squad takes care of itself. That needs to happen as we enter a pivotal summer for the manager, the ownership and the club in general. One that will go some way to determining it’s short and medium-term ambitions. Ambition, being the operative word. It’s time for Liverpool Football Club to really show some. The mistakes of the summer of 2014 cannot be repeated.

Before that another must win. A must win to make the ambitions realistic. To make the kind of lads we need to sign put pen to paper. “Come and play for Klopp’s Liverpool”, perhaps not quite enough. “Come and play for Klopp’s Liverpool in the Champions League”, far more likely. Must win to give Klopp a chance. Must win to stride from the shadows and into Europe with a Scouse swagger that’s been missing at the top level for far too long. In the way, the league's lowest scoring team. An already relegated Middlesbrough with a caretaker manager. A Middlesbrough team who have amassed just ten points away from The Riverside all season, and with just a solitary win on the road, all the way back in August. A Middlesbrough team who have left the field defeated in nine of the last eleven away trips and each of the last three, conceding eleven in the latest trio alone. The kind of opposition that should represent as close to a guarantee as you’re likely to get at this level. Exactly the kind of opposition that cause the palms of Reds the World over to sweat, and finger nails to retreat in fear. It's not difficult to see why. This league campaign Anfield has witnessed draws against West Ham, Bournemouth and Southampton, as well as defeats to Swansea and Crystal Palace. Four of those five since January. Three of those four in the last six weeks. The average position of those sides right now is 12th. The average position of the six sides The Reds have lost to this season is 14th. The Reds; Unbeaten against the best and gift-bearers to some of the worst.

And yet. And yet. After each stumble these Reds have gathered themselves and cleared their heads. Not perfect. Far from perfect. But they’ve showed themselves when it mattered. The collective energy and aggression displayed in East London needs to be replicated, and that extends to the crowd. Let’s do our part and give the players the best possible environment to do theirs. Let's give these Reds the send off that they deserve for some scintillating displays and a campaign that overall should engender further belief. We should have too much for Middlesbrough. With Sturridge and Coutinho in this form and the reigns seemingly loosened we do have too much. Believe it. Really believe it. For the full ninety, believe it. Go into the ground knowing it and leave both sets of lads in no doubt about what it is that we know; This Liverpool team is going places, and this game will go some way to determining the length of the journey.

Must win. It's good. It's a signpost to success. Get used to it, Reds. One more to go.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:49:17 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pre Match Thread - Liverpool vs Middlesbrough - Sun 21 May 15:00
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:52:22 am »
Cheers Grob.

Klopps Liverpool In The Champions League.

That would make a great book title after he wins number 6, 7 and 8.

I'd love it if we're going into this game knowing a big win will get us 3rd.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:57:24 am »
I'd love it if we're going into this game knowing a big win will get us 3rd.

No matter what we're going into it knowing that third is possible. With City away on the last day you never know. Hopefully that acts as a motivation to our lads to go out and give this everything, because if City do drop points then goal difference could also become a factor.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:01:29 am »
I sincerely hope all those lucky enough to have tickets create the atmosphere of those European nights and push the team to glory.

Unleash hell.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:23:37 am »
I have barely watched Middlesbrough this season, I know Adama Traore has pace and can trouble defences. How is their defence now that Karanka has left, can they park a bus. I know Chambers is there, he is decent.

Just have no clue what to expect from this Middlesbrough team, apart from their league standing.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:28:56 am »
They've conceded 13 goals in their last six. No one have conceded more in the league in those games. No excuses on Sunday.
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:30:06 am »
I have barely watched Middlesbrough this season, I know Adama Traore has pace and can trouble defences. How is their defence now that Karanka has left, can they park a bus. I know Chambers is there, he is decent.

Just have no clue what to expect from this Middlesbrough team, apart from their league standing.

They can park a bus when they want to, but recently they've been chasing wins so have had to open up. That might help us as earlier in the season they were playing defensively and regularly keeping clean sheets, so with nothing to play for it might be difficult to re-find that playing style and motivation if they even try to set up that way.

They're a pretty basic side from what I've seen. They'll likely line up 4-4-1-1 with Ramirez playing off Negredo, and I'm sure their main method of attacking will be to overload the flanks and look to hit Negredo in the air.

We should press the hell out of their central midfielders because, technically, they're all extremely average at this level, with the possible exception of De Roon if he plays.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:30:55 am »
This game is huge and the atmosphere needs to be like a European game.

Anfield has to be rocking!

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 10:01:24 am »
Big big big game. Should go without saying, but here's hoping the home crowd leave their prawn sandwiches in the bin and create a crescendo of noise from the get-go.

Press them early and set the tone.

Oh, and we're wearing our new home kit, too.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 10:02:56 am »
It all comes down to this.

A scrappy 1-0 win would do just fine. I couldn't care less about the performance or the score line - as long as we win.

COYR.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
A couple of goals in the first half to ease the pressure and then 10 more when the lads are more relaxed and play exhibition stuff. No disrespect to Boro but I don't think they'll turn up for the match

Online Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
A couple of goals in the first half to ease the pressure and then 10 more when the lads are more relaxed and play exhibition stuff. No disrespect to Boro but I don't think they'll turn up for the match
If they do not turn up they will have to go for a 0 0 0 formation. Good. Lots of space for us.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 11:50:08 am »
It all comes down to this.

A scrappy 1-0 win would do just fine. I couldn't care less about the performance or the score line - as long as we win.

COYR.

Nice OP thanks for that.

We should win by more than 1-0 and will want to. I take your broader point though that we need to achieve 3 points as the first priority.

One other thing is vitally important for me and thats the atmosphere.

I really really hope that we, as some have put it, "unleash hell" on Sunday. Time to show Jürgen and the lads that we are behind the progression. That we recognise and appreciate progress and will help push the club back to where we all know, deep down, we belong - at the fucking top of European football never mind the premiership.

A great man once said the longest journey begins with a single step. I believe we have already taken that step. Let Sunday be another step in the epic rise of Jürgen Klopp's LFC. OUR LFC. We belong at the pinnacle of European football. Elite clubs require elite fans. I don't give a rat's arse about whether the team should inspire us or vice-versa, we MUST play our part.

Its now or never guys - get on board its gonna be (another) hell of a ride.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Just score early please.

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
On the train for this one so getting bevvied. Bring your A game and I reckon the lads will.
Rain and thunder forecast for Sunday. No excuses for a dry pitch.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Same side that started v WestHam ,but  would love Firmino in for Origi ?

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
Hopefully all the players are well aware that there are no easy games in this league. I think we just need to get at them from the off. We will score if we can create a decent tempo early on but it will be all about the attack.

Lets end the season on a high.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Put Firmino in for Origi ...everything else the same... and honestly once we've got the first goal we might get 7

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
One more win needed redmen. Think at the start of the season, with our thin squad, most of us would have been more than happy going into the final game of the season knowing a win guarantees top 4.

Hope we see the same starting 11 again. An early goal would 100% help calm the nerves down. Let's hope those going create a great atmosphere (not a nervous one) and we get the 3 points.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Think the team and the crowd will be very much up for this one, I would love to see us just demolish Middlesbrough in the same way we destroyed teams earlier on in the season but a 1-0 will do just as well. Part of me thinks we'll get a favourable result or two from elsewhere, but we'll do the job nonetheless.

I would like to see an unchanged side start the game, with Firmino on the bench if he's fit enough to be.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
Are we allowed to finally call this a must-win?

I am pretty confident about this  :-X. An unchanged side please as well...Unless Firmino is fit.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
This is our equivalent of United's EL cup final. Win it and we have CL.

I'd much rather be playing Boro at home than Ajax on a neutral ground though.

So the players have to approach it like this. Leave nothing on the pitch and give everything they have.

I'd stick with the same eleven, but would be happy to see Firmino come in for Origi. I predict we'll see Sturridge dance again and the earlier the better. My nerves might not take a cagey 1-0 with us only scoring late on.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
Brilliant OP!

Offline kratos

• Kopite
Is this game being shown on either Sky or BT?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is this game being shown on either Sky or BT?

Final games not decided yet

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
This is an absolutely massive game and although I think this is an overused phrase in football - it is most certainly a must win. There are no excuses for not beating Boro at home after we showed what we were capable of at the weekend against the Hammers. They have nothing to play for and our lads will be under no illusions how important a game this is for our future. Come on Reds!

Offline kratos

• Kopite
Final games not decided yet

Do we know when it will be decided?

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan

Before the weekend ;D.

Watch us not be on TV despite it being an important game. They'll find a way to put Arsenal vs Everton on instead and yet another meaningless Chelsea game.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
SportsMania will be showing it  8)
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
I'd go with the same team. Firmino's great but there's no need to mess with something that worked so well last time out.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
On the train for this one so getting bevvied. Bring your A game and I reckon the lads will.
Rain and thunder forecast for Sunday. No excuses for a dry pitch.

That's a very long train ride. Do get something to eat as well. Where are you now, somewhere near East Timor I'd say?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
i hope that this will be a one-sided match where we mount attack after attack and Middlesborough can't cope. We really should be steam-rolling them at home. They have nothing to play for and we have everything. A 4-0 win again please.
#JFT97

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Lallana returning has resurrected our season with his energy and brilliance. With he and Phil pulling the strings I see us creating chances and hopefully Dan can put a few more away and our player and staff parade afterwards is going to be celebratory one having achieved our goal.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd guess earliest after tonight's games

I'd guess the picks
Liverpool
city
Arsenal

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
One more game...
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
It's the final countdown.........
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
Time to round it off reds
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Should just be a question of how many. (Hopefully very many if one of the bum teams City play can take a point off them). And before some bore starts no it's not arrogant to assume that. I'm sure "pride" "will want to impress in their final premier league game" and other cliched bollocks will be written this week but the reality is they wont be motivated and they are fucking shit anyway. Get them battered.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Put Firmino in for Origi
Yep only change that should be made.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
          Origi Sturridge Firmino
Milner                                   Clyne
          Coutinho    Lallana