Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 217587 times)

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2017, 02:00:24 am »
No it’s not

You said if one of your midfielders needs to control, then Stevie doesn’t get in. But he would, because you have one controlling with Stevie in the other spot

Simple

I worded it badly then - I meant he's not a holding/controlling midfielder, so that spot doesn't go to him. He's not even in contention, not even for the Premier League All Time XI. The other spots, he's a shoe in for for the Premier League All Time XI, and a contender (though he wouldn't get in) even the All Time Great XI.

Funnily enough, with hindsight and his career now in the past, reckon his best chance of getting into an All Time Great XI would be if he had just become the best right back the world had ever seen.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2017, 10:52:38 am »
Anyone following Gerrard’s work as a manager so far?

Top of U18 Premier League
Top of U19 UEFA Youth League Group
Lost 1 in 21 Matches

Looks like he is shaping up wel as out future manager.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2017, 11:25:25 am »
Unseh had a good record with the youth team too lets give it him
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2017, 03:31:44 pm »

Lost 1 in 21 Matches

It means nothing at the youth level, though. The youth level is prone to disparities in physical maturity, mental maturity, resources available, and talent saturation. He's doing well, but it's no predictor of anything in the future, other than he has good players at his disposal.

The main benefit for Liverpool is that he is probably the best person on the planet to be able to teach these kids how to act, train, and behave like professional players if they want to make it to the first team and to be impact players at that level. We couldn't ask for a better transition coach than Gerrard for that.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2017, 06:15:42 pm »
It means nothing at the youth level, though. The youth level is prone to disparities in physical maturity, mental maturity, resources available, and talent saturation. He's doing well, but it's no predictor of anything in the future, other than he has good players at his disposal.

The main benefit for Liverpool is that he is probably the best person on the planet to be able to teach these kids how to act, train, and behave like professional players if they want to make it to the first team and to be impact players at that level. We couldn't ask for a better transition coach than Gerrard for that.

also wouldn't he need some time as a right-hand or 2nd in command for a first team to further hone that experience?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2017, 09:26:56 pm »
also wouldn't he need some time as a right-hand or 2nd in command for a first team to further hone that experience?

Probably. It's very few managers who can go in at first go and be a raging success, without already having great players at their disposal who know what they're doing.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2017, 07:35:06 am »
Probably. It's very few managers who can go in at first go and be a raging success, without already having great players at their disposal who know what they're doing.

It is a good sign that he isn't fucking anything up though. He's got a very talented group of players but that doesn't always guarantee success. He might be keeping things simple, letting them play and making them express their natural ability (and superiority) against the opposition, but at the very least he's doing the bare minimum and not overcomplicating things.

It was said a lot that it was unlikely that Gerrard would make a good manager and that between him and Carragher, you'd always fancy the latter to go into coaching. If Gerrard has took anything from the managers he's played under and uses that knowledge and experience to become the manager/coach he wants to be then things do like bright for him. He's obsessed with football and I wager that he's more clued up tactically and understands the game more than some give him credit for.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2017, 10:00:01 am »
Probably. It's very few managers who can go in at first go and be a raging success

You're clearly forgetting the intellectual giant that is Sir Ryan of Giggs

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2017, 11:38:36 am »

Lost 1 in 21 Matches

That's impressive. I hope one day he will win the league with Liverpool, as a manager.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2017, 03:18:24 pm »

I never had the impression that Gerrard was a very intelligent bloke - I don't mean he is unintelligent, mind. I don't know, can one become a successful coach without having that superior intellect?

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2017, 07:00:15 pm »
I never had the impression that Gerrard was a very intelligent bloke - I don't mean he is unintelligent, mind. I don't know, can one become a successful coach without having that superior intellect?
oh my god.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2017, 01:24:35 am »
Turned down the main job at MK Dons because he knew it was too soon. That already makes him more intelligent than half the ex-players that have gone into management in the past 10 years.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2017, 09:11:19 am »
Turned down the main job at MK Dons because he knew it was too soon. That already makes him more intelligent than half the ex-players that have gone into management in the past 10 years.

In comparison to Giggs who seems to be turning his nose up at every club, for the opposite reasons

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2017, 07:00:07 pm »
oh my god.
wouldnt put him on a par intellectually with the likes of pep, not that he’s thick

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2017, 07:11:09 pm »
wouldnt put him on a par intellectually with the likes of pep, not that he’s thick

How would you know?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2017, 07:21:20 pm »
How would you know?

I was just about to post the same.

I thought he handled the racist abuse against Brewster really well. Followed the protocol, kept his cool and didn't raise the emotional temperature amongst the group of young players.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2017, 09:22:38 pm »
How would you know?

From his comments on Rafa, Ferguson, Hodgson, Allardyce et al. https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=322947.0

It doesn't mean he can't be a good manager but he's not come across as somebody that critically appraises management.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2017, 09:26:44 pm »
From his comments on Rafa, Ferguson, Hodgson, Allardyce et al. https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=322947.0

It doesn't mean he can't be a good manager but he's not come across as somebody that critically appraises management.
aye, he’s definitely not thick but he could probably have a decent managerial career if he was mad enough to do that, but I very much doubt he could have the impact that a great football intellectual like Guardiola or cruyff have had, Alonso is the only one from our recent past who i reckon could do that

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2017, 09:41:29 pm »
Guardiola and Cruyff? So your examples are two of the people who revolutionised the game? No pressure there for Stevie.  ;D ::)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2017, 09:47:08 pm »
aye, he’s definitely not thick but he could probably have a decent managerial career if he was mad enough to do that, but I very much doubt he could have the impact that a great football intellectual like Guardiola or cruyff have had, Alonso is the only one from our recent past who i reckon could do that

Gerrard has had a better coaching career than Alonso thus far(Alonso doesn't have one), so obviously you can't be basing it on much other than their style of play which has little relevance to their actual intelligence, and maybe the fact Alonso is Iberian and Gerrard just a normal scouse?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:48:48 pm by Coolie High »

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2017, 02:16:03 am »
I'm calling it now - he slipped because it's destiny...he's destined to win the league title with us as manager.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2017, 01:54:29 pm »
Ace interview with Stevie in the Echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/steven-gerrard-liverpool-icon-learning-14079548

Credit to him, Sounds like he’s taking the sensible approach to learning team management, and starting at a level where he can make mistakes.

I suppose how successful you are will make those decisions for you. For example, I could get a job, a first-team job in this country, and get sacked after four or five games. It might put me off for the rest of my life.

Also, this on his determination to win

I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t want to win. I’m not one of those Academy people who say it is all about development and results don’t matter.

Of course it is about getting players through to the first team but you’ve got to teach these players about winning, about what you’ve got to do to win and create that attitude and that mentality that surrounds the club.

The earlier they get those values, the better they are going to be further down the line. You can’t all of a sudden say to a player at 18: 'It’s all about winning now, it wasn’t from seven to 17.' That will only confuse the player.

Of course it is about winning. We are top of the league and there to be shot at. But if you asked me whether I wanted to win the league or get two players through to the first team I’d say getting the players into the first team. But really I want both.

“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2017, 02:09:38 pm »
Ace interview with Stevie in the Echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/steven-gerrard-liverpool-icon-learning-14079548

Credit to him, Sounds like he’s taking the sensible approach to learning team management, and starting at a level where he can make mistakes.

Also, this on his determination to win

I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t want to win. I’m not one of those Academy people who say it is all about development and results don’t matter.

Of course it is about getting players through to the first team but you’ve got to teach these players about winning, about what you’ve got to do to win and create that attitude and that mentality that surrounds the club.

The earlier they get those values, the better they are going to be further down the line. You can’t all of a sudden say to a player at 18: 'It’s all about winning now, it wasn’t from seven to 17.' That will only confuse the player.

Of course it is about winning. We are top of the league and there to be shot at. But if you asked me whether I wanted to win the league or get two players through to the first team I’d say getting the players into the first team. But really I want both.

Yeah I'm not sure about this bit. It's been proven time and again that de-emphasizing results at the younger ages leads to better players. It's how the Dutch and the Spanish do it. The Germans changed their focus to development a while ago and reaped the benefits. It sounds like he doesn't understand the balance correctly. It's not that "winning" is never mentioned, but that you don't place a value on your players depending on whether they've won or lost.

Sounds like he might not be long for being a youth coach. The problem for him is if the next batch of players he gets aren't as good, and his team don't dominate, then all the "winning" talk will make a liar of him, especially if that second batch of players yield more first-team prospects than the one he has right now.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2017, 02:24:28 pm »
Gerrard has had a better coaching career than Alonso thus far(Alonso doesn't have one), so obviously you can't be basing it on much other than their style of play which has little relevance to their actual intelligence, and maybe the fact Alonso is Iberian and Gerrard just a normal scouse?
nothing to do with where they are from, just need to read interviews of themselves and how one thought Hodgson was a good idea. besides Alonso only retired a few months ago

Guardiola and Cruyff? So your examples are two of the people who revolutionised the game? No pressure there for Stevie.  ;D ::)
its more a reference to the difficulty many top players have when it comes to management working with people who don’t have their drive/talent/work ethic, it’s why most of the top managers weren’t particularly great players (klopp, ferguson, Mourinho, sacchi, Wenger, lippi etc), simeone can be a better reference point for stevie

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2017, 11:10:24 pm »

Yeah I'm not sure about this bit. It's been proven time and again that de-emphasizing results at the younger ages leads to better players. It's how the Dutch and the Spanish do it. The Germans changed their focus to development a while ago and reaped the benefits. It sounds like he doesn't understand the balance correctly. It's not that "winning" is never mentioned, but that you don't place a value on your players depending on whether they've won or lost.

Sounds like he might not be long for being a youth coach. The problem for him is if the next batch of players he gets aren't as good, and his team don't dominate, then all the "winning" talk will make a liar of him, especially if that second batch of players yield more first-team prospects than the one he has right now.

The Dutch should maybe think about re-emphasizing the importance of winning.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2017, 12:46:37 am »

Not to take Stevie's thread too far off topic, but the recent decline in quality of Dutch players has far more to do with too highly organized and technical of training sessions rather than relative de-emphasis on winning. The Dutch themselves are starting to criticize their youth set-ups as being too regimented and focused on passing rather than dribbling and creativity. No accident they haven't brought through any Robbens recently...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2017, 02:29:47 am »
It depends on how you go about winning. Is the emphasis on winning from a mentality standpoint? Making sure that players are accountable for their actions and how it impacts the team. Example being working hard off the ball or being unselfish in front of goal...

Or is it winning from the standpoint of forcing players to do the % thing, that helps them today but won't help them 5 years from now.

We'll find out in the future. A lot of us have emotionally invested in the success of Stevie, so we'll be biased in these early stages.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2017, 02:47:43 am »

Not really. They need to re-emphasize Coerver again, rather than fighting it, as they have done for years. The 4v4 model is great, but it encourages passing too much and overloads, and restricts dribbling. The old German 3v3 model was great for developing dribbling. It's also the Coerver model. They should maybe think more about that :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:51:24 am by PhaseOfSleighBells »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2017, 02:50:21 am »
Not to take Stevie's thread too far off topic, but the recent decline in quality of Dutch players has far more to do with too highly organized and technical of training sessions rather than relative de-emphasis on winning. The Dutch themselves are starting to criticize their youth set-ups as being too regimented and focused on passing rather than dribbling and creativity. No accident they haven't brought through any Robbens recently...

Ha! Great minds :D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2017, 02:56:43 am »
Not really. They need to re-emphasize Coerver again, rather than fighting it, as they have done for years. The 4v4 model is great, but it encourages passing too much and overloads, and restricts dribbling. The old German 3v3 model was great for developing dribbling. It's also the Coerver model. They should maybe think more about that :D

Or bring back King Louis...okay not serious...okay kinda serious. He's always been an innovator in his own way going back to Ajax and Barca days.  :D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2017, 03:01:33 am »
Or bring back King Louis...okay not serious...okay kinda serious. He's always been an innovator in his own way going back to Ajax and Barca days.  :D

He has been their biggest problem! ;D

His whole system is based on NOT taking players on. They need to look elsewhere. Maybe ask Alfred Galustian to do some stuff with their curriculum ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2017, 03:09:22 am »
Haha realised that as soon as I posted it mate. Knew you would pull me up on that.  ;D

You also need to be lucky with the talent pool and the Dutch havn't been as lucky for the last decade or so.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2017, 03:14:23 am »
Haha realised that as soon as I posted it mate. Knew you would pull me up on that.  ;D

You also need to be lucky with the talent pool and the Dutch havn't been as lucky for the last decade or so.

I think part of their problem is that everybody does what the Dutch did for years - so in those days their talent pool stood out because they were doing things nobody else was doing. But then Spain and Barca perfected it, and "Best Practices" meant that other countries took what the Dutch did and made it their own. When that happens, everyone else's resources rises to match yours, and you no longer stand out. Same thing happened to Wenger - came to England with Yoga, Macrobiotic diets, Recovery Days, and a form of Moneyball in the transfer method. And he stood out. Now everyone does it, and he doesn't stand out anymore.

As soon as everyone figures out how Southampton do their recruiting, nobody will be buying Southampton players anymore ;D

And if Stevie is actually on the right track about the winning thing at youth levels, and then we get a leg-up because of it, it won't be long until everyone else catches up. Such are the cycles of football ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2017, 03:31:06 am »
Agreed.

Also for the size of their country they've produced outstanding footballers and some great players. So they're due a dip if we go by that. Funnily enough their neigbours the Belgians have their  crop of "Golden Generation".

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2017, 11:25:23 pm »
Can only imagine the reaction if Stevie had taken up a fake team to coach for publicity for Adidas like Alonso did.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2018, 11:16:44 am »
This guy is so biased for Liverpool in his punditry it's unreal  ;D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2018, 05:13:56 pm »
This guy is so biased for Liverpool in his punditry it's unreal  ;D

needs some major balance the shite most of the others come out with :D 

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2018, 05:23:53 pm »
needs some major balance the shite most of the others come out with :D 

Probably get carra to balance it out

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2018, 05:26:41 pm »

It'd take about fifty Stevies to balance out the negative shite Carragher and Murphy spout
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2018, 05:26:48 pm »
like good cop bad cop?

It'd take about fifty Stevies to balance out the negative shite Carragher and Murphy spout

indeed  :D