Author Topic: Playstation 5 (2020)  (Read 147871 times)

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Playstation 5 (2020)
« Reply #400 on: June 24, 2020, 07:56:17 am »
I don't see the issue with the development or marketing of smart delivery. Going into a new generation they'll be lots of cross generation games. Yearly franchises but also cyberpunk. In 2013 for example I would of had to buy two copies of FIFA 14 or Madden, one for the old consoles and one for the newer ones. With MS supporting old hardware for at least two years (according to Matt booty) then it makes perfect sense to give that consumer the ability to buy let's say Halo Infinite on Xbox One and a year down the line if they want to upgrade there Xbox they'll not have to re-purchase. I'd of liked that for something like The Last Of Us but because of cell and x86 it wasn't possible but in an ideal world it would of been the most pro consumer move.

I don't see how it puts pressure on game development, I can see how it changes game design because your building a game like Halo Infinite round old mechanical drives or slower worse performing processors and you always program to the lowest denominator. But companies like EA have always released games like FIFA across two generations and we would of been expected to pay twice. I doubt they'll be much difference between PS4 and PS5 FIFA21 versions bar some visuals and load times.

They are making a fuss of it because they are making a fuss around cross gen development and supporting old hardware. I like Sony's approach in the sense that I want to play something designed with PS5 in mind but if I want to play FIFA in October or November on PS4 it's nice to play the PS5 version straight away when it releases as well, especially as an early adopter when you get lots of these cross gen games, particularly your franchise ones.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: June 24, 2020, 08:25:14 am »
I don't see the issue with the development or marketing of smart delivery. Going into a new generation they'll be lots of cross generation games. Yearly franchises but also cyberpunk. In 2013 for example I would of had to buy two copies of FIFA 14 or Madden, one for the old consoles and one for the newer ones. With MS supporting old hardware for at least two years (according to Matt booty) then it makes perfect sense to give that consumer the ability to buy let's say Halo Infinite on Xbox One and a year down the line if they want to upgrade there Xbox they'll not have to re-purchase. I'd of liked that for something like The Last Of Us but because of cell and x86 it wasn't possible but in an ideal world it would of been the most pro consumer move.

I don't see how it puts pressure on game development, I can see how it changes game design because your building a game like Halo Infinite round old mechanical drives or slower worse performing processors and you always program to the lowest denominator. But companies like EA have always released games like FIFA across two generations and we would of been expected to pay twice. I doubt they'll be much difference between PS4 and PS5 FIFA21 versions bar some visuals and load times.

They are making a fuss of it because they are making a fuss around cross gen development and supporting old hardware. I like Sony's approach in the sense that I want to play something designed with PS5 in mind but if I want to play FIFA in October or November on PS4 it's nice to play the PS5 version straight away when it releases as well, especially as an early adopter when you get lots of these cross gen games, particularly your franchise ones.

That’s what I’m saying though. Cross gen games have always been a thing, ‘Smart Delivery’ is exactly that but has a fancy slogan by Microsoft now so people think it’s something new.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #402 on: June 24, 2020, 08:34:28 am »
Suffer with Thalassophobia myself.
I’m fine on boats but any open water and I shit myself.

Tried to face my fear when I was in Turkey years ago, went on one of the boat tours and decided that when the boat stopped, i’d join in with the rest of the people on board and go for a swim in the ocean. Crystal clear water.

Jumped in and swam out a little, looked down, saw something move under my feet, had a panic attack and swam straight back onto the boat. Still shake thinking about it now.

Any underwater sections in games and i’m panicking like mad. Hated having to look for loot/quest items in The Witcher 3 off the boat!
Yeah the Witcher 3 was a real issue for me. One of my favourite games of all time but I kept sea travel to an absolute minimum for obvious reasons, so feel I missed out on a lot. The few missions underwater were an absolute nightmare for me, would take days on end to go 5 mins!

Similar happened to me in South Africa. I was fortunate enough to go to a wedding out there and the afternoon reception was on a boat in Cape Town. I thought it was a once in a lifetime opportunity so plucked up the courage to actually step on the boat (first time in 25 years), got on board, thought I was ok, the engine starts, I completely panic and had to leave before it set off. To compound matters later that day we lost 2-1 to Man United with Rashford turning into Henry for 45 mins!

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2020, 10:31:17 am »
That’s what I’m saying though. Cross gen games have always been a thing, ‘Smart Delivery’ is exactly that but has a fancy slogan by Microsoft now so people think it’s something new.

Cross gen has always been a thing but buying the games once hasn't. It's always been up to the publishers/developers whereas MS are pushing for a more unified system. Look at GTAV, I've had it on PS3 and PS4. Okay we got a bump in resolution and a First Person mode but it's essentially the same game. The same as all these remasters, maybe we will get less of these now and the ability to upgrade to a better version for free later down the line when we have more powerful hardware.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:34:45 am by naYoRHa2b »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2020, 11:42:43 am »
Yeah the Witcher 3 was a real issue for me. One of my favourite games of all time but I kept sea travel to an absolute minimum for obvious reasons, so feel I missed out on a lot. The few missions underwater were an absolute nightmare for me, would take days on end to go 5 mins!

Similar happened to me in South Africa. I was fortunate enough to go to a wedding out there and the afternoon reception was on a boat in Cape Town. I thought it was a once in a lifetime opportunity so plucked up the courage to actually step on the boat (first time in 25 years), got on board, thought I was ok, the engine starts, I completely panic and had to leave before it set off. To compound matters later that day we lost 2-1 to Man United with Rashford turning into Henry for 45 mins!

If it makes you feel any better, you didn’t really. Just the ball ache of having to do the same thing about sixty times (dive and loot three floating chests)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: June 25, 2020, 04:32:53 pm »

But, but, but all those question marks in Skellinge!

Online stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #406 on: June 29, 2020, 12:20:53 am »
Is it backwards compatible? As in PlayStation and Ps2/ps3 games? Or will it just be PS4 games?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: June 29, 2020, 01:11:18 am »
Is it backwards compatible? As in PlayStation and Ps2/ps3 games? Or will it just be PS4 games?

Just PS4 by the sound of things.

They’ll push PS Now for the PS1, 2 and 3 games.

Probably find out more in August.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: July 2, 2020, 06:05:06 pm »
Looks like games could be £10 more expensive for next gen. Apparently a 10 £$€ increase across the board.

2k have released the pricing for 2k21, standard edition is $69 compared to $59 from this gen.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #409 on: July 2, 2020, 07:38:02 pm »
Not buying a 2k game for a while last few have been utter shite full of microtransactions and the WWE games suck too.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: July 2, 2020, 08:09:04 pm »
Do you think the price hike is permanent or just for the first year or so of the new generation?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: July 2, 2020, 09:02:58 pm »
Do you think the price hike is permanent or just for the first year or so of the new generation?

Read a report earlier that a few devs are saying the extra cost doesn’t come near covering the extra expenses to make games for the next gen.

So probably permanent.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: July 2, 2020, 09:07:29 pm »
I guess that’s fair.
People will be more picky with what they buy, money milking franchises like FIFA will actually have to put in some effort in their yearly releases and second hand physical market will boom. I’ve no problems with shelling out for games that provide 100+ hours of quality entertainmemt.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: July 2, 2020, 09:11:35 pm »
Thats the concern with the focus towards the digital ps5. I reckon they will massively reduce the price of that knowing they can recover the money easily through more expensive digital games

Online stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #414 on: July 2, 2020, 10:53:41 pm »
Just PS4 by the sound of things.

They’ll push PS Now for the PS1, 2 and 3 games.

Probably find out more in August.

Hopefully. I’d love to play the old PlayStation games on the PS5

When is the release date?

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #415 on: July 3, 2020, 04:59:09 pm »
€80 games plus microtrandactions out the arse.

Yay!

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #416 on: July 3, 2020, 05:02:14 pm »
€80 games plus microtrandactions out the arse.

Yay!

Well maybe not..

The House of Lords Gambling Committee says video game loot boxes should be regulated under gambling laws.

The Lords say they should be classified as "games of chance" - which would bring them under the Gambling Act 2005.

"If a product looks like gambling and feels like gambling, it should be regulated as gambling," their report says.

And they warn that such a change should not wait.

"The government must act immediately to bring loot boxes within the remit of gambling legislation and regulation," said a statement accompanying the report.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253195

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: July 3, 2020, 05:05:40 pm »
Looks like games could be £10 more expensive for next gen. Apparently a 10 £$€ increase across the board.

2k have released the pricing for 2k21, standard edition is $69 compared to $59 from this gen.

Equally, that's still less relatively to what they were 10-15 years ago in the PS3 generation - games were 60 dollars at the start of that generation, which if we peg that to 2009 money, say, would be the equivalent to 75+ dollars today.  Video games are one of the few products that seem to not really increase with inflation.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: July 3, 2020, 05:27:38 pm »
Equally, that's still less relatively to what they were 10-15 years ago in the PS3 generation - games were 60 dollars at the start of that generation, which if we peg that to 2009 money, say, would be the equivalent to 75+ dollars today.  Video games are one of the few products that seem to not really increase with inflation.

Go back to the N64 days and some games were hitting the $90 mark

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #419 on: July 3, 2020, 07:13:28 pm »
Well maybe not..

The House of Lords Gambling Committee says video game loot boxes should be regulated under gambling laws.

The Lords say they should be classified as "games of chance" - which would bring them under the Gambling Act 2005.

"If a product looks like gambling and feels like gambling, it should be regulated as gambling," their report says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253195

Lootboxes might goo away in that case but microtransactions - cosmetics, season passes, pre order " bonuses", "deluxe" editions etc. will be going nowhere.

In a roundabout way games have gotten more expensive even if the retail price hasn't gone up.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #420 on: July 4, 2020, 08:18:45 pm »
I wish my salary had gone up in line with inflation  ;D

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: July 4, 2020, 09:01:23 pm »
I wish we could resell digital games. Anything happening on that front since French court rulling against Steam?

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #422 on: July 6, 2020, 09:11:45 pm »
I wish we could resell digital games. Anything happening on that front since French court rulling against Steam?

That's a pipe dream. In their ideal world there would be no second hand market whatsoever.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: July 6, 2020, 09:55:47 pm »
Fella on twitter who called the PS5 event being moved in June, and called the xbox event being on July 23rd has said the PS5 price and release date is scheduled in for July 13th, could very possibly change but at the minute, expect the details then.

State of play is in August for more 1st and 3rd party PS5 titles, expect Lockhart announcment scheduled for end of August.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: July 6, 2020, 09:56:55 pm »
Fella on twitter who called the PS5 event being moved in June, and called the xbox event being on July 23rd has said the PS5 price and release date is scheduled in for July 13th, could very possibly change but at the minute, expect the details then.

State of play is in August for more 1st and 3rd party PS5 titles, expect Lockhart announcment scheduled for end of August.

PS5 for $300 and City's ban upheld, what a day
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: July 6, 2020, 10:01:46 pm »
That's a pipe dream. In their ideal world there would be no second hand market whatsoever.
Not sure about it being a pipe dream. It may be fought all the way, but it may just happen in the future. That is at least in the EU, where there is some semblance of customer rights. But at the moment digital is being pushed hard while digital games are more expensive and have no resale value. Convenience rules supreme.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: July 6, 2020, 10:06:26 pm »
What would be the point of selling digital games? I mean it would be great for the consumer but digital copies don't lose value like physical copies. Publishers would struggle to recoup the money, costs of game development have risen by 200 to 300 percent. Can't see it happening.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2020, 11:15:09 pm »
Any indications what the requirements for external hard-drives are likely to be?  I've never used one with a console before, but my PS4 is pretty much full - would like to get one that's 'future proof' in terms of PS5 compatibility.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #428 on: July 17, 2020, 11:58:27 am »
Any indications what the requirements for external hard-drives are likely to be?  I've never used one with a console before, but my PS4 is pretty much full - would like to get one that's 'future proof' in terms of PS5 compatibility.
It doesn't exist yet  ;D

You can plug your HDD into the PS5 to play PS4 games, as far as I can gather, but to play the actual next-gen games you need a specific kind of SSD and Sony haven't yet given the list of compatible devices (or even if they're commercially available yet)

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #429 on: July 17, 2020, 03:59:59 pm »
Good that you get a free copy of Fifa on PS5 if you purchase it on PS4 and the cross-platform play.

Flipside is: people will assume Fifa 21 PS5 is not a dramatic improvement by implication.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: July 17, 2020, 11:46:33 pm »
Flipside is: people will assume Fifa 21 PS5 is not a dramatic improvement by implication.
Was never going to be anyway was it? There’s not been much difference in that game since the ps3 as far as I can see.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #431 on: July 17, 2020, 11:58:31 pm »
Fifa should be free anyway offline is complete shite and they don't care about it. I don't even know how you can charge for the game when you make billions off FUT anyway.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: July 20, 2020, 09:10:33 pm »
A lot of rumours going around that Xbox are going to get rid of XBL for next gen and will no longer require a sub to play online.. that'd be fucking huge. I can't really see PlayStation following suit because the amount of money they make from PS+ is obscene, but if it does end up being true I hope they also do.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: July 20, 2020, 09:14:47 pm »
A lot of rumours going around that Xbox are going to get rid of XBL for next gen and will no longer require a sub to play online.. that'd be fucking huge. I can't really see PlayStation following suit because the amount of money they make from PS+ is obscene, but if it does end up being true I hope they also do.

More likely that XBL will be rolled into the Game Pass service. Like it is currently with Ultimate. Makes more sense with the emphasis on Game Pass.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:16:27 pm by naYoRHa2b »

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2020, 09:16:23 pm »
More likely that XBL will be rolled into the Game Pass service. Like it is currently with Ultimate.
Would make sense. Can't wait for their show this week to see what they have in store.

Nice username btw  ;)
Automata was my fav game of all time before tlou2 dropped.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: July 20, 2020, 09:20:14 pm »
Would make sense. Can't wait for their show this week to see what they have in store.

Nice username btw  ;)
Automata was my fav game of all time before tlou2 dropped.

Ha. Yes Nier Automata is one of my favourite games. The soundtrack is incredible.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: July 21, 2020, 06:47:38 am »
Those rumours got started by some xbox fanboy on twitter by the way, then everyone jumped on it and took it as gospel.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2020, 08:52:13 am »
I think it's well believable.  They want to make everyone with an Xbox have Game Pass, they also want anyone with a PC to have it.  And they're going to roll XCloud in with it, to target people with even just a decent phone or tablet.  Dropping that couple of quid a month to entice someone to buy an Xbox and enter into the ecosystem makes sense if that person then decides to spend a tenner a month on GP.

Xbox are making some cool moves, for sure.  But it's all down to what games they show on Thursday.  In the past month I've completed Horizon Zero Dawn, got 12 hours into TLOU2 so far, and have been hammering Ghost of Tsushima over the weekend.  I've had an Xbox One since the day it was released in 2013 and can say with certainty that in my opinion there isn't a single Xbox exclusive of this gen that is as good as any of those 3 games I mentioned.  I hope they fix that, I want two strong console lineups, but it'll take more than Halo for me.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2020, 09:24:56 am »
Normally I'd think the same, but I think it does fit in with MS's new approach of making gaming easily accessible for everyone. With them releasing their games on PC as standard, how can they justify PC players getting to play Halo Infinite (for example) online for free while forcing Xbox players to play for Gold?

For me I don't think I'll ever buy an Xbox because Sony makes the exclusives that I enjoy, but MS are getting my money anyway because gamepass is an incredible service and I'm more than happy to sub to that on PC.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: July 29, 2020, 11:42:15 pm »
Saw something about Sony having a newer version of checkerboard rendering for the ps5. Personally I’d take that over native 4K if it means higher frame rates. I know it’s a fair bit different but the up scaler on the nvidea shield Tv is incredible and it’s supposed to be great on the high end Sony TVs as well. Well implemented hdr has been a far more impressive improvement over the last years to me.