Author Topic: The UK Economy - Is it the 1970's again?  (Read 27389 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The UK Economy - Is it the 1970's again?
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2023, 03:22:07 pm »
They're not going to start blaming their mates, are they?

Gang of c*nts that institute. I of course hated Brexit but if there was one small satisfaction it was many people telling institutes like that and other lobby groups to fuck off.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2023, 03:39:26 pm »
I think the main issue is the economic badging of a "wage price spiral". This is a misleading term as it suggests that wage rises came first and caused all the price rises which, as we all know, is a load of shit.

A better term would be a "price wage spiral" as what has happened is people are demanding increased wages to maintain their purchasing power in the face of factors they had no control over.

The demonisation of this approach from workers and suggesting that we should all just suck it up and accept that we can't afford what we used to is a complete joke.
So if fuel prices and wheat and sunflower rise by large amounts. How do you propose we all afford the same amount?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2023, 03:43:52 pm »
Fuck me.  My car insurance quote is 42% up on a last year.  And it’s the cheapest I can get by far too.

Bloody ridiculous
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2023, 03:45:52 pm »
Yeah, we are facing same 😕
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2023, 04:19:00 pm »
Fuck me.  My car insurance quote is 42% up on a last year.  And it’s the cheapest I can get by far too.

Bloody ridiculous

Have you tried Go Compare - mine has gone from £286 to £460, RAC showing as £253 on Go Compare, very similar cover to what I have now
Jurgen YNWA

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2023, 05:30:40 pm »
Have you tried Go Compare - mine has gone from £286 to £460, RAC showing as £253 on Go Compare, very similar cover to what I have now
Of course.! 

My existing insurer is quoting me the lowest price.  Although money saving expert says that the cheapest prices come three weeks before renewal, so maybe there’s a bit more to come?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2023, 07:38:49 pm »

Bloody ridiculous

My house insurance was similar to that, went from £280 to £800 to stay with the same company, shopped around and got it ‘down’ to about £480, absolute piss take but it’s getting to the stage now where getting ripped off is just normal now I worry.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: December 22, 2023, 09:13:51 pm »
My house insurance was similar to that, went from £280 to £800 to stay with the same company, shopped around and got it ‘down’ to about £480, absolute piss take but it’s getting to the stage now where getting ripped off is just normal now I worry.
Shit More cost.  Insane numbers.
W

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: December 23, 2023, 01:54:51 pm »
Didn't teachers get a massive pay rise this year? 😁

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: December 23, 2023, 02:03:08 pm »
Got 0% in 2020 though (again)!
W

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: December 23, 2023, 03:12:56 pm »

;D

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: December 23, 2023, 05:56:18 pm »
Got 0% in 2020 though (again)!
Sorry, I haven't got a sarcasm emoji.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: January 6, 2024, 09:37:12 am »
Fair play to Carrefour calling out the big boys. They’ve halted all sales of goods owned by PepsiCo due to price increases and shrinkflation. I already saw an article last year where they put up warning signs where shrinkflation had occurred. I wish our supermarkets did this.

Carrefour to halt Pepsi sales over price rises https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67884603

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #253 on: January 8, 2024, 03:12:08 pm »
Fair play to Carrefour calling out the big boys. They’ve halted all sales of goods owned by PepsiCo due to price increases and shrinkflation. I already saw an article last year where they put up warning signs where shrinkflation had occurred. I wish our supermarkets did this.

Carrefour to halt Pepsi sales over price rises https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67884603

Mark-ups on branded fizzy drinks are enormous.

The product itself costs pennies. Add on the packaging, transportation, wholesaler/retailer mark-ups and a can should be around 15-20p

Yet they retail for 2x/3x that price - and it's all gross profit for Coca-Cola/Pepsi

However, they use the bulk of their gross profit to pay for advertising (as you might expect) - but also subsidising prices in the developing world. Not for philanthropic reasons, but to make Coke/Pepsi the drink of choice in developing countries so that, as incomes begin to rise as they develop, they will ramp up the prices.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: January 8, 2024, 10:59:09 pm »
They also own brands like lays/walkers and Doritos. Hopefully this properly fucks them.

On your point about soft drinks, coke can afford to sell a 24pk on offer for £7 in Tesco so that gives you an idea of its proper value.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2024, 09:18:17 am »
Shit More cost.  Insane numbers.

Wife’s car insurance has gone from £480 to £960 and that’s after shopping around, the renewal is the cheapest option… seriously WTF!?!?
Thinking is overrated.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2024, 10:01:51 am »
Wife’s car insurance has gone from £480 to £960 and that’s after shopping around, the renewal is the cheapest option… seriously WTF!?!?

It's insane.  Be interesting to see if Martin Lewis has this in his sights.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2024, 10:29:28 am »
Having to go into the office - when I first went in on the train a few years back it was £9.60 anytime return.

Bought a ticket today for the same journey £16.90
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2024, 02:02:07 pm »
Having to go into the office - when I first went in on the train a few years back it was £9.60 anytime return.

Bought a ticket today for the same journey £16.90

Work out the £ per mile

Then do a calculation with a plane journey.

It's criminal.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2024, 07:58:17 pm »
Austrian heiress Marlene Engelhorn announces plan for €25m giveaway https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67935463

This is how you do it.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2024, 03:36:26 pm »
Austrian heiress Marlene Engelhorn announces plan for €25m giveaway https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67935463

This is how you do it.

She's brilliant. Campaigns for the rich - including her - to pay more tax. Austria scrapped inheritance tax about 20 years ago and she has vehemently opposed that.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2024, 11:47:10 am »
So apparently an influential paper behind why austerity was adopted used incorrect data to reach their conclusions....

https://x.com/CentralBylines/status/1749747229978399154?s=20
Believer

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2024, 12:19:18 pm »
So apparently an influential paper behind why austerity was adopted used incorrect data to reach their conclusions....

It is the sort of error anyone with a modicum of knowledge about spreadsheets (let alone economics) could have discovered. And yet, it took three years for anyone to check it. That's just crap.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2024, 05:55:54 pm »
Do Reinhart and Rogoff admit they got it wrong? They admit they accidentally excluded five rows from an average in their Microsoft Excel spreadsheet,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-04-18/faq-reinhart-rogoff-and-the-excel-error-that-changed-history

The authors point out that there are three problems with our 1945-2009 averages and the paper itself: (i) a coding error that causes the first five countries in the alphabet to be omitted in forming averages for the 1946-2009 period in one figure, (ii) “selective exclusion” of 1946-1950 for New Zealand, and (iii) “unconventional weighting of summary statistics”

https://www.businessinsider.com/reinhart-and-rogoff-admit-excel-blunder-2013-4?r=US&IR=T#:~:text=The%20authors%20point%20out%20that,Zealand%2C%20and%20(iii)%20%E2%80%9C
Believer

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2024, 10:52:40 pm »
Non-paywalled version:

https://archive.is/HUfqv

Cheers Jiminy. It looked like an interesting article but I wasn’t arsed to get the non paywalled version hence me seeking out a different one.

Can you just clarify what you were referring to when you said ‘That’s just crap’
Believer

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2024, 07:05:53 am »
Pretty sure he means the authors fell way below expected standards. (by that's just crap).  Ie, he wasnt arguing with you.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2024, 11:01:56 am »
Cheers Jiminy. It looked like an interesting article but I wasn’t arsed to get the non paywalled version hence me seeking out a different one.

Can you just clarify what you were referring to when you said ‘That’s just crap’

It is the sort of error anyone with a modicum of knowledge about spreadsheets (let alone economics) could have discovered. And yet, it took three years for anyone to check it. That's just crap.
I was referring to the fact that it took three years for anyone to check out the underlying statistics and spreadsheet from the economics article which was embraced by the Right and has done so much damage. Even now, a full ten years since the mistakes in the original paper were outed, we are living with the consequences of the mistakes from those two economists.

The original paper was used by George Osbourne to justify his (and the Tories') programme of austerity. And they still have not learned from the debunking of the paper or experience over the past 14 years.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2024, 11:05:32 am »
Pretty sure he means the authors fell way below expected standards. (by that's just crap).  Ie, he wasnt arguing with you.
Yeah, was not argument with JShooters. Sorry if I was not clear.

But, more specifically, my 'crap' comments referred to that it took three years before the glaring mistake was spotted by anyone. That is a bit crap. And quite astonishing, really. The mistakes in the original paper should be career-ending for the two economists. It is the sort of thing which would, surely, fail a PhD, for example.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2024, 12:00:05 pm »

But, more specifically, my 'crap' comments referred to that it took three years before the glaring mistake was spotted by anyone. That is a bit crap. And quite astonishing, really. The mistakes in the original paper should be career-ending for the two economists. It is the sort of thing which would, surely, fail a PhD, for example.

:thumbup
Believer

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: January 25, 2024, 12:05:48 pm »

The peer review is sadly lacking too!

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2024, 01:08:27 pm »
The peer review is sadly lacking too!

The paper is ultimately irrelevant, the Tories have been committed to Austerity, shrinking the state, reducing public services, privatisation etc for the last 40 years. Whether this paper existed or not, they would have gone down the same route because it’s what they have always believed, Osborne wasn’t some kind of Keynesian who read that paper and had some kind of conversion to right wing, free market economics all of a sudden.
Thinking is overrated.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2024, 03:37:43 pm »
Got paid today and the NI reduction has kicked in which is good news I guess
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: January 25, 2024, 04:01:00 pm »
The paper is ultimately irrelevant, the Tories have been committed to Austerity, shrinking the state, reducing public services, privatisation etc for the last 40 years. Whether this paper existed or not, they would have gone down the same route because it’s what they have always believed, Osborne wasn’t some kind of Keynesian who read that paper and had some kind of conversion to right wing, free market economics all of a sudden.

This is spot on.

Austerity was a political choice, and the claimed economic support for it was just an attempt to give it a veneer of justification.

I firmly believe the plan of Gideon and Cameron was to run-down public services under the guise of economic necessity, get the general public used to them being run-down and barely functioning, and then when the economy recovered to a more normal footing, use any surplus to cut taxes - benefitting most, obviously, those with the highest incomes.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: January 25, 2024, 04:10:20 pm »

Problem is, what have they reduced the funding to, to pay for it?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2024, 04:44:29 pm »

This is spot on.

Austerity was a political choice, and the claimed economic support for it was just an attempt to give it a veneer of justification.

I firmly believe the plan of Gideon and Cameron was to run-down public services under the guise of economic necessity, get the general public used to them being run-down and barely functioning, and then when the economy recovered to a more normal footing, use any surplus to cut taxes - benefitting most, obviously, those with the highest incomes.
But of course. I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise - I know I wasn't.

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2024, 05:27:59 pm »
Problem is, what have they reduced the funding to, to pay for it?
oh absolutely, I suspect we won't find that out until the loons are kicked out of office.

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2024, 05:33:09 pm »
Agree with the above, Austerity was an ideological choice that Cameron and Osborne made, they got lucky in a way with the Financial Crisis in 2008 and successfully planted the seed that it was all Gordon Brown's fault and Austerity was the only choice.

They should have been a one term government but the electorate blamed the Lib Dems and Ed Miliband didn't defend Labour's record in government.

Austerity would always have happened under the Tories and pretty much always does.

The poor get poorer, and the rich get richer, this time though they've managed to make the people in the middle poorer too after a succession of Budget fuck ups

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: January 25, 2024, 06:11:07 pm »
But of course. I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise - I know I wasn't.

Agreed. It was just highlighting the fact that the ‘justification’ for austerity that the client media no doubt slavishly reported at the time was fundamentally flawed
Believer

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2024, 03:05:41 pm »
Does it buy you more than a pint a week?  Maybe a pint of milk?

--edit-- apologies if that's a bit personal.