Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 324692 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: Cody Mathès Gakpo
« Reply #4280 on: May 6, 2024, 01:49:49 pm »
He's a good footballer..only young, couple of seasons off peaking

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4281 on: May 6, 2024, 02:07:52 pm »
Looks much more of a threat when he’s around that left hand side.

Our use of him this season has been baffling to be honest, along with a few others.

Be interesting how he gets on next season.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4282 on: May 6, 2024, 02:52:37 pm »
The problem that we seem to have is that he looks better on the left, so does Diaz, and probably Jota too (though he can play centrally).

3 quality attackers for 1 spot.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4283 on: May 6, 2024, 03:19:18 pm »
think this is the part where our recruitment went a bit haywire

his ability to play anywhere in the front three as well as dropping to the midfield role is also not helping him and the squad i think.

the fact that we hardly hear any complaints  coming from him shows a bit of his character in sacrificing himself for the team.

we are still a bit unbalanced up front but if he keep performing to a high level think the left forward slot just might be rotated between him and diaz depending on how our team and the opposition is set up to maximize the most damage

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #4284 on: May 6, 2024, 03:23:46 pm »
I think he might get a run as a 10 in the 4-2-3-1 if we want to go really attacking next season but I'm just brainstorming out loud.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #4285 on: May 7, 2024, 03:36:55 am »
He's a good player and has been from the get go. But now he'll be built up into the second coming and as soon as he plays a game that doesn't suit his strengths he'll be labelled shite and the melts will come out of the closet.  Seems to be the theme of all player threads now.

The amount of abuse he was getting the other month was ridiculous, getting racist abuse on all his Instagram posts. Even on here it was a joke the amount of abuse he got, a cameo against united and his thread jumped 20 pages. Names that haven't been in the thread for the past month but they will be straight back in the second he has a bad game. We go on about how bad the muppets are on social media but this place has got just as bad.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4286 on: May 7, 2024, 08:40:51 am »
BTW, Happy 25th Cody.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4287 on: May 7, 2024, 08:52:53 am »
The amount of abuse he was getting the other month was ridiculous, getting racist abuse on all his Instagram posts. Even on here it was a joke the amount of abuse he got, a cameo against united and his thread jumped 20 pages. Names that haven't been in the thread for the past month but they will be straight back in the second he has a bad game. We go on about how bad the muppets are on social media but this place has got just as bad.

It's not just as bad. Not anywhere close. In the Nunez thread there was one comment about him being a 'donkey' which may or may not have been in jest (either way, not great), but nothing compared to the awful stuff on social media. And in this thread there's been a lot of criticism of cameos where he didn't seem to be trying but nothing personal as far as I've seen. Although, ironically, your hyperbolic conflation of social media and this forum is an example of social media's culture infesting this place.

As for Gapko I think he's done really well in the last few weeks and he's definitely better on the left than down the middle. Personally if we had to sell a forward to bring in a new one I'd sell him because I'm not convinced this is a 90+ point forward line, particularly with Salah potentially slowing down, and Gapkp is the obvious one to upgrade for me. But if we go into next season with the same 5 senior forwards I won't be upset.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 08:55:37 am by Knight »

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4288 on: May 7, 2024, 09:02:14 am »
He's not a classic Klopp winger, more of a playmaker that wants to go central. We need the LB to provide width.

I dont think its a coincidence that he looks much better since Robbo returned. 

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #4289 on: May 7, 2024, 09:05:17 am »
We go on about how bad the muppets are on social media but this place has got just as bad.

I wish people would stop parroting this nonsense.....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #4290 on: May 7, 2024, 09:35:07 am »
I really like Gakpo, his versatility has perhaps worked against him this season but I think he's still got plenty of improvement in him. If he can keep up the aggression and not lose the fact that he's 6'3/6'4 then he will continue to improve.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #4291 on: May 7, 2024, 10:44:04 am »
I wish people would stop parroting this nonsense.....

Go back and look in his thread if you want, people calling him a coward, proper pathetic stuff, maybe it was you saying it  and that’s why you’re so defensive…..

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #4292 on: May 7, 2024, 12:14:16 pm »
As for Gapko I think he's done really well in the last few weeks and he's definitely better on the left than down the middle. Personally if we had to sell a forward to bring in a new one I'd sell him because I'm not convinced this is a 90+ point forward line, particularly with Salah potentially slowing down, and Gapkp is the obvious one to upgrade for me. But if we go into next season with the same 5 senior forwards I won't be upset.
Diaz should be the one if we decided to sell. His play is very eye deceiving, meaning it looks eye catching but eventually leads to nothing most of the times. You can say he has a bit of Adama Traore in him. It's not coincidence that his actual end products have been poor for two seasons now despite being given the most minutes (since his injury last year) and the most stability in role in the team. And it's not like his expected metrics are any better either.

Gakpo despite being played out of position and coming off as a sub for most of season has now had more goals and assists than him in the league, and much more in all comps. Also we know that Diaz has hit his peak and Gakpo hasn't (and younger as well). Gakpo is also much more of a team player than Diaz who is probably the least team player in our squad. You can see when he plays from the left he links up with Robbo, the central midfielders and central forward. Diaz plays within his own, is a heads down dribbler hence his final balls are often poor, which explains why his dribbling looks exciting but eventually doesn't turn into end products. It's also validated by stats as Diaz is miles ahead of anyone in the team in attempted take-ons but doesn't lead in crosses, key passes or assists. And finally there's no debate in who is the better finisher.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4293 on: May 7, 2024, 02:37:29 pm »
Diaz should be the one if we decided to sell. His play is very eye deceiving, meaning it looks eye catching but eventually leads to nothing most of the times. You can say he has a bit of Adama Traore in him. It's not coincidence that his actual end products have been poor for two seasons now despite being given the most minutes (since his injury last year) and the most stability in role in the team. And it's not like his expected metrics are any better either.

Gakpo despite being played out of position and coming off as a sub for most of season has now had more goals and assists than him in the league, and much more in all comps. Also we know that Diaz has hit his peak and Gakpo hasn't (and younger as well). Gakpo is also much more of a team player than Diaz who is probably the least team player in our squad. You can see when he plays from the left he links up with Robbo, the central midfielders and central forward. Diaz plays within his own, is a heads down dribbler hence his final balls are often poor, which explains why his dribbling looks exciting but eventually doesn't turn into end products. It's also validated by stats as Diaz is miles ahead of anyone in the team in attempted take-ons but doesn't lead in crosses, key passes or assists. And finally there's no debate in who is the better finisher.

Yeah some good points. I disagree with the idea that Diaz isn't a team player and I do think a dribbling outlet can be an important skill to have in the team in and of itself in getting a team up the pitch even if it doesn't directly result in a chance. Plus his output has been decent (only decent admittedly) this season and importantly he's improved a lot after taking a while post injury to get back to it. Plus I think Diaz makes runs in behind more than Gakpo does and I think that's important. But you can't argue with the output argument. Gakpo has basically the same G+A as Diaz in the PL this season but from 1000 fewer minutes.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 02:39:48 pm by Knight »

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #4294 on: May 7, 2024, 08:24:23 pm »

I have lived in Colombia and was thrilled when we got him. I didn't know much about him at the time. But I agree with you fully. He is limited

Gakpo is much more effective without the limitations. Sure Gakpo doesn't have the speed or the open emotions. But his awareness of his teammates, awareness of space and passing options is brilliant. When he takes a shot it is usually the better option, not the only one all the time. Diaz has a script of circling back favouring his right foot, charging into the box along with the opposing defenders, then blasting it at goal into a sea of defenders' legs.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4295 on: May 8, 2024, 09:57:56 am »
I've a feeling Gakpo will become very important to Slot.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #4296 on: Yesterday at 10:11:12 pm »
Another good display, got a great deceptive pace when he’s got the ball at his feet. And another back stick tap in.
AHA!

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4297 on: Yesterday at 10:14:12 pm »
He's a good player, but neither a typical winger nor #9
I'm curious to see how Slot will use him.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4298 on: Yesterday at 10:15:22 pm »
Another good display, got a great deceptive pace when he’s got the ball at his feet. And another back stick tap in.

Game of opinions eh, I thought he was really slow and wasteful on the ball

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4299 on: Yesterday at 10:22:34 pm »
We look worse as a team every time Klopp takes him off

What he lacks in raw athleticism or menace he at least compensates for in helping us control, helping others out, bringing them in to the game, showing as an option for them to work off of to work ourselves up the pitch

Nice to see him in the position he was to get his goal, stayed onside, but had a lovely chest control and volley out to Salah in the build up too

Has the position on merit right now

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4300 on: Yesterday at 10:25:03 pm »
Game of opinions eh, I thought he was really slow and wasteful on the ball

I dunno about wasteful, but totally agree about being slow on the ball, a number of times tonight he held on to it a split second too long and any opening that might have been there was immediately gone. It's a feature of all of our attackers really.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4301 on: Yesterday at 10:25:41 pm »
Looking stronger on the ball.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4302 on: Yesterday at 10:39:47 pm »
Should have put trent in one-time in the first half near the end.

He played pretty well overall.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #4303 on: Yesterday at 10:49:12 pm »
I dunno about wasteful, but totally agree about being slow on the ball, a number of times tonight he held on to it a split second too long and any opening that might have been there was immediately gone. It's a feature of all of our attackers really.
Yeah you're probably thinking about the one at the end of first half when he should have laid that ball off to Trent first time. That ball was so obvious.

But then he is quite adept at making that kind of one touch lay off, having done so many times in the past (the one to Diaz against Atalanta comes to mind).

I think his playmaking abilities can be improved with coaching and maturity. You see the signs there.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Main Stander
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #4304 on: Yesterday at 11:00:44 pm »
He's really really good at getting into positions in the 6 yard box isn't he? Would love to see a stat about how many of his goals have come from there

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4305 on: Today at 08:35:56 am »
I've a feeling Gakpo will become very important to Slot.
He will. I’ve said in another thread he’s the one that actually creates some synergy between the other attackers who all look like strangers at times.

Gakpo will be key to Slot’s plans and I honestly think will be first choice left winger from the get go.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4306 on: Today at 09:05:53 am »
He's a good footballer..only young, couple of seasons off peaking

Agree about the good footballer part but should be peaking now at 25, or entering that part of his career.

Arne Slot should help with that.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4307 on: Today at 09:06:52 am »
He will. I’ve said in another thread he’s the one that actually creates some synergy between the other attackers who all look like strangers at times.

Gakpo will be key to Slot’s plans and I honestly think will be first choice left winger from the get go.

Here's a challenge if we see him as the left-side one. Maybe Darwin and Dom Sboz are also ideal in that role!

Ooops.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4308 on: Today at 09:47:47 am »

Yeah I said this to my mate last night, can see him on the left, Jota through the middle and Salah on the right injuries permitting.

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4309 on: Today at 10:01:51 am »
Yeah I said this to my mate last night, can see him on the left, Jota through the middle and Salah on the right injuries permitting.

Don't think there's a single chance that the club will be planning on a regular front three featuring Jota. They'll make a decision on three forwards to go with, and have Jota as the fourth option.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4310 on: Today at 10:03:18 am »

Yeah, like Bobby used to do for us.

Sometimes he holds on to the ball a bit much, but I think we have to remember the context of the game. We were ahead, and the game was wild and open. In those situations it can be smart to prioritize possession rather than always trying to score.

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #4311 on: Today at 10:07:10 am »
Apparently from what others  say Slot really likes his wingers.  I dont see Cody as a winger like say Diaz or Doka doesnt take people on 1on1.  Will be interesting to see what Slot does with Cody.  I think Cody can play as a false 9 with 2 fast goalscoring wide guys ie peak Mane and Salah but those players are very rare and or very expensive Mbappe, Vini Jr, Rodryo, Saka etc.