Author Topic: Charlton: A Lazy Day  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
Charlton: A Lazy Day
« on: March 31, 2002, 11:34:48 pm »
30/3/02 Liverpool Vs Charlton

Woke up at 7:00 and struggled out of bed. Stuck the radio on and was greeted by ‘Beautiful Day!’ Cheesily ironic I know, still it was quite a nice day and I was on my way up to Liverpool and anyway it woke me up!

Once in the car there’s not a lot to do except sit back, put some music on and relax for the next 4 hours. Once we get on the M6 I keep a look out for other travelling reds and give them a wave. I accidentally waved at a coach load of old women as well, so I decided to give the waving a rest and have an eye test when I got home! The traffic was pretty good, but I couldn’t help noticing how many tire marks there were about, luckily we were only held up once by an accident. Thankfully everyone appeared to be just about all right, but it makes you think.

We got to Anfield in pretty good time and parked up in the primary school. After a quick cup of tea and a look at the paper I went up to the Albert to meet Kez, a.k.a. scouser at heart. Then popped round to grab a RAOTL and have a quick word with JJP. Went back and stood in the Albert having a chat to Kez, didn’t even attempt to go and get a drink, or move anywhere for that matter. It’s great in there but not very spacious!

Anyway, found my sister who had decided to come to the game with me this time and we went in to find our seats. Lower centenary once again, the lack of atmosphere in there is really starting to annoy me but somehow I always end up there! YNWA rang out nice and loudly although it was started far too late as usual and everyone clapped in the wrong place…….. as usual.

Liverpool started very brightly in a 4-3-3 formation with Berger and Anelka in particular looking very sprightly. Our first move stemmed from work by Anelka who combined very well with Carragher, yes Carragher. Fantastic one-twos led to Carra carving out a chance for him self, chesting it down sublimely only to lack the killer finish sticking it over the bar. It was a great effort though and shows just how he attacking play is improving.

Anelka and Heskey continued to look bright, with Owen looking non-existent. Then Heskey fell awkwardly and worryingly had to go off and be replaced by Smicer. Now I’m a big fan of Smicer but it was hardly a fair match, I mean in terms of presence! It mattered not, Owen won a free kick after yet another attempt at removing his legs (only way to stop him I suspect) and Murphy floated in a gorgeous ball which was met wonderfully by Smicer and dispatched into the net with his head, yes his head! Smicer headed the ball! Not only that it was a damn good header that the man he replaced would have been proud of. All in all a great goal, Que. a lot of jumping about and a short period of singing as everyone briefly woke up, and I stress briefly.

Everyone soon nodded off again though, as we were content to sit back while the Charlton players wondered about. When we could be arsed we put some nice moves together; one of which led to our 2nd goal. Some good work down the right allowed the ball to break to Smicer, who scuffed it. Not to worry, it fell to Owen (you see even when Smicer does something wrong it’s right at the moment!) Anyway, Owen then scuffed it but luckily into the net! Off-side my arse! Forget I mentioned the eye test earlier……

Now it really was time to sit back and let Charlton throw everything at us. All they could muster to throw at us however was a damp squib. Or more precisely Mathius Svensson. I don’t know about throwing himself at us but he certainly fell over a lot.
So half time came and Phil Easton tried to get everyone excited with the ‘super draw!’ Now what the fuck was that all about? All that ‘watch out Anfield, coming up in two minutes…… the super draw!!.’ Please get me a bucket, what a load of bollocks. It failed to get anyone remotely excited, if it had been the cup final I don’t think it would have got any excited! It really was quite embarressing and I’d rather see less of it at Anfield. I know we’re still rich in tradition but just you wait anymore of that sort of thing and we’ll have a giant Liverbird hugging kids and novelty foam hands being waved about.

I was just getting into a good article in RAOTL when the second half began. We were in for a very strange second half. Subdued doesn’t really cover it, perhaps everyone was still in shock from seeing Carra in the opposition box and having a shot, in the first few minutes!

We continued to be in total control without getting out of first gear, I’m not even sure we made it out the garage! It didn’t matter though, had we not been there at all I’m not sure they’d have scored. A couple of longish shots came close but it really wasn’t anything for Dudek to be worried about. Like in the first half we put some nice moves together when we fancied it, Murphy, Anelka and Hamann all linking up well.

Charlton made some changes but they made sod all difference and their fans seemed pretty fed up with it all. They hadn’t made any noise all afternoon though so it was hard to tell. Some songs did ring out from the Kop and Anny but being stuck in the Cemetery Stand it was hard to join in. Overall though everyone seemed to be content to sit back and watch Liverpool slowly meander towards 3 points, even the Charlton players.

Dudek had to make one good save and Euell blasted over and someone over on the fat side pulled off a lovely bit of skill which got the Charlton fans excited very briefly. Although most of the ‘oouus’ were from us, amazed to see a spark from the Londoners.

10 minutes left and people started to leave, now I know it was hardly riveting stuff but this was going a bit far. 2-0 and cruising in the sunshine I was quite enjoying just sitting there. I hate early leavers, to me it just shows a total lack of passion and respect for where you are. Anyway the game drudged into the 90th minute and the whistle soon went.

Not the best game I’ve ever seen but it didn’t matter. It wasn’t so much ‘winning ugly’ as winning without breaking a sweat.’ Winning comfortably by goals without moving out of first gear is pretty good going. I’d rather see us win like that and have everyone save their energy for Wednesday than leg it about like headless chickens and draw 4-4. Exciting yes, but not how to win the Championship, just ask Roy.

So I trotted down the now fairly clear steps in a pretty good mood. We were still on top and well and truly in the hunt, I also found a tenner on the floor next to my seat! It obviously belonged to the lad next to me, but he’d left early so it serves him right. Anyway it’s gone straight into the fanzine fund, which is currently a jam jar but hopefully it’ll be a bucket soon!

Well let’s hope everyone has woken up for Wednesday, although I’m sure they will have! Bring it on!
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Charlton: A Lazy Day
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2002, 12:02:10 am »
Good stuff Curlz...but you're a bloody liar!

"Went back and stood in the Albert having a chat to Kez" <-- fuck that! You virtually never said anything...and it wasn't 'cos you couldn't get a word in edgeways either ;)

See yer Weds?

treble2001

« Reply #2 on: April 1, 2002, 09:45:37 pm »
Nice one Curly

But 4 hours to a game?  God, I couldn't take that.  I fucking hate cars, do me head in  :lickin:

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
« Reply #3 on: April 1, 2002, 10:58:23 pm »
erm sorry Kez.  ::)

I'll drink on wednesday, that might help.....

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 2, 2002, 01:22:42 am »
lol...ahh you were lovely really ;)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2002, 01:37:53 am »
How dare you slate the cemetary stand for lack of atmosphere.

I only go there to have a kip and recover from too much alcohol.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/