Author Topic: The 'Football was invented in 1992' Sly Sports Premier League draft - discussion  (Read 17117 times)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Couldn’t bring myself to pick Terry the dirty racist.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Subs: Robert Huth / Eyal Berkovic / Mark Viduka
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 09:00:20 pm by red1977 »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Henderson definitely should have been picked and probably would have done if he hadn't moved to Saudi. Milner is another I would have gone for if I could have fitted him in.

Hierro and Djorkaeff also didn't get picked.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Couldn’t bring myself to pick Terry the dirty racist.

I think that's who Tubby was referring to way back. Him and Carvalho together would have made sense, but would also probably be draft poison.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Henderson definitely should have been picked and probably would have done if he hadn't moved to Saudi. Milner is another I would have gone for if I could have fitted him in.

Hierro and Djorkaeff also didn't get picked.

Hierro was rubbish at Bolton though! Maybe you're thinking of Ivan Campo - the original sideshow Bob  :D who was actually pretty decent there.

Djorkaeff was class. I considered him.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
I think that's who Tubby was referring to way back. Him and Carvalho together would have made sense, but would also probably be draft poison.

Yup.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Hierro was rubbish at Bolton though! Maybe you're thinking of Ivan Campo - the original sideshow Bob  :D who was actually pretty decent there.

Djorkaeff was class. I considered him.

I thought he was OK. Plus he was a big name and certainly wasn't in the Eto'o/Weah/Di Maria/Schweinsteiger mould.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I thought he was OK. Plus he was a big name and certainly wasn't in the Eto'o/Weah/Di Maria/Schweinsteiger mould.

Maybe not rubbish, but he was 36 and past his best. Stayed one season and then retired. Definitely would have been a very cheesy pick. Similar to Litmanen, who I wondered if anyone would try to sneak in  :D

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I considered Litmanen, but thought that would be cheating a bit.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Formation thingy isn't working for me. I;d appreciate it if someone cooked one up for me.

4-3-3 thank you.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
As ever I can’t do a formation in my phone! Please could someone do a good old fashioned 442? Only thing I request is Berbatov just behind Shearer, like a Sheringham upgrade. Ta!

Friedel

Arbeloa.   Desailly.   Thiago Silva.   Ziege

Solano.  Essien.   Speed.   Duff

Berbatov
    Shearer

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Samie

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nick

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thank you Robert.  :wave

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Gracias

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian

Subs: S. Bilic, T. Rosicky, R. Keane
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 01:51:17 pm by Lastrador »

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
All formations are in. Thanks lads!

Would people prefer groups or straight knock-outs? We could also try doing a 'losers' half of the draw for teams knocked out in round 1. Then the ultimate loser plays the main winner  :D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Always think the less voting needed the better.  The actual drafting is the best bit.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I would go with Knock outs. But easy either way.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 03:23:25 pm by red1977 »

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Knock outs

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Okay, knock-outs it is. Here's the draw -

1. Lone Star Red VS Hazell
   2. Draex VS child-in-time
   3. Betty VS RobbieRedman
   4. Mikey_LFC VS Tubby
   5. Lastrador VS Vivabobbygraham
   6. Elzar VS Chakan
   7. red1977 VS Nicholls
   8. Samie VS Crosby Nick 128

Then Winner 1 vs Winner 2, Winner 3 vs Winner 4 etc

Randomized draw order proof -
Spoiler

[close]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Too fuckin’ easy.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I could say the same.  :P

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Don’t know where I got this idea, but a draft of Destestable XIs could be fun. Where we each pick our most hated XIs and pit them against each others to find who can draft the most vomit-inducing side.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Don’t know where I got this idea, but a draft of Destestable XIs could be fun. Where we each pick our most hated XIs and pit them against each others to find who can draft the most vomit-inducing side.

Is this your trial run?

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Is this your trial run?

Haha yep, I suppose a Premier League draft is close to that and my side certainly doesn’t seem to be a favourite in the voting!
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly