Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - THE OLD (CRAP) THREAD THAT'S GOING IN THE BIN  (Read 147027 times)

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - GODDAG DAMSGAARD
« Reply #1680 on: August 3, 2021, 11:03:41 pm »
These ITKs bring up about 3 names a week, so that by the end of the window they've named dozens of players. Then if one of them signs, they RT their random guess, delete a load of other tweets, and claim they knew all along. Graeme Kelly is still living off one of his guesses.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1681 on: August 3, 2021, 11:05:37 pm »
Think we would be name dropped by Sassuolo as Juve are after a 2 year loan before buying. Maybe suggesting that the player is amiable as he wants CL football which Juve and us can both offer is also an attempt to get them to cough up.

Yeah, but it's likely come via his agent as I doubt the club would brief on transfer rumours. The agent could just say he's heard it from the club, so no actual source is attached to the rumour.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1682 on: August 3, 2021, 11:12:12 pm »
I've said the whole time - that contract extensions are the final indicator of bringing in a marquee signing.

No way Mbappe or Haaland comes to Liverpool or any big money striker signing without first bumping up everyone's wages so when they do come in - the existing players are less slightly peeved over the massive wages they'll watching the target get.

Its the only way to bring in the big fish, without creating a giant internal mess.   Liverpool have been signaling this for while, by creating a big fish fund, redbyrd deal, using their academies as revenue growers, and limiting their transfer business in the middle of a pandemic to only those transfers which make absolute sense (i.e. Werner, Fekir, etc.)

Those who want to play the game of Summer transfer market bonanza --- are thinking in the same way the media thinks, and that is not a way Liverpool can be successful long term.  We have to maximize the inefficiency in the current market and exploit the long term inefficiency of the big teams overpaying for experienced players.   

Liverpool pretending that we are PSG, Bayern, or Manchester teams would lead to another collapse down the line imo.   Let Edwards and Klopp be themselves -- it will work out fine.

What are the chances of us getting one of them is the big question.

As I mentioned the other day, surely the flip side to the wages thing people have been throwing about in the wage discussion regarding Mbappe, the bonus thing is very different to someone coming in with a huge weekly wage as opposed to incentive based.

The talk about Haalands potential wage and things like Agent fees are things I personally just cant see us paying. Its no secret how ridicilous the fees Raiola expects are. As for Mbappe, he's on a fortune and signing him then begs the question wtf do you do about the rest of the squad as you cant do just that for the window, the squad would need a lot more a year from now.

Its an interesting way to look at the new contracts, but it seems far far less likely than simply that we want to maintain the spine of the side and tie down some of our biggest talents. More importantly... you would imagine it isn't Trent, Fab or Alisson (who is expected to be next to sign a new deal) who would be the main ones kicking up a fuss if a new player came in on huge wages, could be wrong but i'd expect very different names to be those to sign up to new deals before bringing in a marquee signing on massive wages. Being paid a huge weekly wage and being paid a good wage with big bonuses to be earned are hugely different and that's part of what seperates us from some of these other sides we are competing with. Its one of the differences between the likes of Mbappe, Haaland and the players we're more likely to sign

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1683 on: August 3, 2021, 11:20:47 pm »
He said we were in for Locatelli and Niguez so I suppose he is reliable if we are in for both of them.

Ah ok, so not very reliable then.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: August 3, 2021, 11:32:37 pm »
That isn't even a question for myself, when looking at his role within our squad. My question is around whether he stylistically fits how we play, when Mane is out or Firmino is out - can he come in a replicate their roles, and the reality is he can't - he's a completely different type of player, as a consequence our patterns of play begin the suffer and we look worse for it.

He's just not a a direct option for any of our front 3 with how we like to play and that's always been the biggest problem, kudos to the coaching team in trying with him to be an option from the left, but again he's never really demonstrated he is capable within that role.

When Klopp first said of Origi that we would have some fun, IIRC Benteke was still with us. Origi was a better fit for us than Benteke. Then he got injured, and we focused around Firmino. With Firmino and then Mane and later Salah, Origi was no longer a better fit for us than the alternatives.

Origi wasn't necessarily a misfit for us in his early days. But we've moved towards a model where he doesn't fit as well.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: August 3, 2021, 11:39:20 pm »
I hope Lautaro Martinez is the marquee signing, he's the nearest thing to Luis Suarez and would be amazing in our team.

I just do not see us getting Haaland or Mbappe, the financial packages are just ridiculous.

Just seeing on Twitter earlier, the fee for him is £65 milllion and Arsenal are the only club linked heavily with him.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1686 on: August 3, 2021, 11:47:00 pm »
I hope Lautaro Martinez is the marquee signing, he's the nearest thing to Luis Suarez and would be amazing in our team.

I just do not see us getting Haaland or Mbappe, the financial packages are just ridiculous.

Just seeing on Twitter earlier, the fee for him is £65 milllion and Arsenal are the only club linked heavily with him.
We havent been linked to him have we?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1687 on: August 3, 2021, 11:56:18 pm »
Just sign Divock and get it over and done with.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1688 on: August 3, 2021, 11:58:52 pm »
origi is worth more than 10 mill.thats a insult.guys a ledge ,

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: August 4, 2021, 12:01:45 am »
We havent been linked to him have we?
Nothing definite so far, which is a shame, he would be brilliant under Klopp.

The fee seems low at £65 million, but it seems Inter need funds this summer with the Chinese ownership scaling back finances there.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JFBk-u1uAkI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JFBk-u1uAkI</a>
« Last Edit: August 4, 2021, 12:07:15 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: August 4, 2021, 12:08:29 am »

Origi wasn't necessarily a misfit for us in his early days. But we've moved towards a model where he doesn't fit as well.

I agree with you mate, i feel in his early days - when he was younger, there was the feeling he was 'mouldable' (new word i've just made up)

It's one of the qualities I like most about our manager and coaching team, they are fantastic at adapting players games - they have an open mind and a vision which allows all players a chance to grow with us.

But as you say, I think now several years down the road - we've established he can't adapt to the roles we have in our first team.

I have no ill will to the lad, he's been a fantastic member of the group - and made some fantastic contributions....but the reality is at the age he is now, and what we know of him - he will never be a natural replacement for any of our forwards and the roles we expect from them.

And this is why for me our forward line is where attention is required, our back ups in Origi and Shaqiri, are very different players from our first team options - as a consequence in my opinion this is the area of the squad that gives me most concern. Other than Jota, no other player has the natural characteristics to replace one of our ordinary front 3. Both Divock and Xherdan are quality footballers in their own right, however their skillset doesn't replicate those players infront of them - so when we rotate, our play suffers as the patterns and connections between those around are different. Our greatest strength is the fact we have a rock solid philosophy and approach - when players come into that approach and are not equipped to perform the roles asked of them, the whole unit suffers significantly....

I'd rather two raw as fuck 18 year olds, who have the stylistic traits to perform the role than two experienced players who clearly don't.

I see this as the opportunity to provide a platform for squad progression in that department. We don't need finished articles, we have them already, we need young hungry players with the right attributes to flourish and grow by training amongst those players and have the opportunity to get minutes to test themselves, as our front 3 get older - the minutes available to get on the pitch will become larger.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #1691 on: August 4, 2021, 12:28:15 am »
That's not how negotiations work. I've asked for double in fees negotiations in the past and come to an agreement. It's more likely we'll meet somewhere in the middle ground with add-ons or sell-on clauses, for example.

A 20 counter offer probably gets a deal done at 15 or Wolves move on like we did with Jamal Lewis. The only difference is that we have a pretty decent relationship  with Wolves and the 20 will probably include a few add-ons to bring them to the table.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1692 on: August 4, 2021, 12:53:49 am »
Convinced we won’t sign anyone.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1693 on: August 4, 2021, 12:55:05 am »
Convinced we won’t sign anyone.

Who convinced you?

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1694 on: August 4, 2021, 12:57:41 am »
I think it's great noone has a fucking clue what's going on, how it should be.

Then i look at the squad and it's probably the strongest in my living memory. Maybe '89 was the last time i saw a squad close to this strong, but i was 9.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: August 4, 2021, 02:35:49 am »
feeling he was 'mouldable' (new word i've just made up)

Is malleable the word you are after?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1696 on: August 4, 2021, 04:30:40 am »
Then i look at the squad and it's probably the strongest in my living memory. Maybe '89 was the last time i saw a squad close to this strong, but i was 9.

I think that's right.

It's interesting observing how we're reacting to the inactivity in this window.

My sense of it is that it's not as much to do with what we're not doing, as much as it is to do with what others are doing.

All the talk of the Kanes and Sanchos moving to City and United makes us feel like our chance to win more trophies under Klopp is under threat.

And I think that's the second, fairly important psychological factor at work. We all know Klopp's got 3 years on his contract, and more likely than not, he'll move on after that.

Over the past 6 years Klopp (and Edwards) have well and truly returned the club to glory after many years in the wilderness. The fear that we might lose our moment of supremacy so soon after having regained it is real.

But more so than that, and I think existentially the bigger issue, is the question of how the club is managed towards longer term success.

A big part of what that means is transitioning the current squad, which is starting to get older, to a younger squad capable of winning things 2-3 seasons from now.

That's why we let Gini go. That's why there's all this angst around other contracts.

Fundamentally I think its' pretty difficult for the club to balance continuing to win in the present, while bringing in a new generation of players to win the future. I think in the last 30 years maybe two teams have managed it - United and City. Both did so with overwhelming financial superiority, as well as being well managed from a footballing perspective.

We have to do that without the overwhelming financial superiority - and in fact we're probably facing even fiercer competition from new sugar daddies, from COVID, pointless distractions like the super league, and the failure of the FFP.

So the stakes feel incredibly high.

But if we look at who we have on deck this season, then barring a horrific injury crisis, we once again have one of the best squads in Europe and are a good chance of winning each tournament.

The key thing to watch out for isn't so much whether we replace Gini now or Bobby tomorrow, but who we replace them with, when we do.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #1697 on: August 4, 2021, 05:14:05 am »
Yeah, but it's likely come via his agent as I doubt the club would brief on transfer rumours. The agent could just say he's heard it from the club, so no actual source is attached to the rumour.
Are you saying his agent is putting it out there so interested clubs know he is not set on Juventus? Otherwise I don't see why his agent would do it?
If Locatelli is hell bent on going to Juve then it doesn't matter that we are in for him. They just sit tight and wait for Sassuolo to fold to Juve's offer. I don't see what his agent gets by leaking it.
I don't really get what anyone gets by leaking it to the media though. Surely Sassuolo just tell Juve there is a better offer on the table from Liverpool.
The only thing is if Sassuolo want their fans to know that there was a better offer for him but he was so keen to go to Juve that they had to reject it or if they feel Juve's fans can somehow pressure them into making a better offer.
As I say, don't see what impact any of this being in the public domain really has, surely all the clubs and agents have each others' numbers!

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1698 on: August 4, 2021, 06:53:01 am »
Nothing definite so far, which is a shame, he would be brilliant under Klopp.

The fee seems low at £65 million, but it seems Inter need funds this summer with the Chinese ownership scaling back finances there.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JFBk-u1uAkI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JFBk-u1uAkI</a>

Yes but he doesn't want to do it on a cold, rainy night in Stoke. He wants Spain.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1699 on: August 4, 2021, 07:15:17 am »
I think that's right.

My sense of it is that it's not as much to do with what we're not doing, as much as it is to do with what others are doing.

All the talk of the Kanes and Sanchos moving to City and United makes us feel like our chance to win more trophies under Klopp is under threat.

And I think that's the second, fairly important psychological factor at work. We all know Klopp's got 3 years on his contract, and more likely than not, he'll move on after that.

Over the past 6 years Klopp (and Edwards) have well and truly returned the club to glory after many years in the wilderness. The fear that we might lose our moment of supremacy so soon after having regained it is real.

But more so than that, and I think existentially the bigger issue, is the question of how the club is managed towards longer term success.

A big part of what that means is transitioning the current squad, which is starting to get older, to a younger squad capable of winning things 2-3 seasons from now.

That's why we let Gini go. That's why there's all this angst around other contracts.

Fundamentally I think its' pretty difficult for the club to balance continuing to win in the present, while bringing in a new generation of players to win the future. I think in the last 30 years maybe two teams have managed it - United and City. Both did so with overwhelming financial superiority, as well as being well managed from a footballing perspective.

We have to do that without the overwhelming financial superiority - and in fact we're probably facing even fiercer competition from new sugar daddies, from COVID, pointless distractions like the super league, and the failure of the FFP.

But if we look at who we have on deck this season, then barring a horrific injury crisis, we once again have one of the best squads in Europe and are a good chance of winning each tournament.

The key thing to watch out for isn't so much whether we replace Gini now or Bobby tomorrow, but who we replace them with, when we do.

This was arguably the greatest trick Ferguson pulled off - He did it, what, 3 or more times from 92/93 - to 2012? Even with the financial superiority and gravitas that had been built up by that stage that's some going. I'm not too sure how many other people have ever managed to do that across European/World football, let alone England, especially in the last 30 years. It's why I don't think we can or should expect it to happen. Certainly we should try! I think we've got a fighting chance due to the quality of the squad that's been built - that in turn will hopefully lead to more trophies over the next 3 years (specifically the league/CL) and therefore prospective replacements for Klopp and playing staff viewing us more favourably. If we then nail the next managerial appointment and manage to sustain any success within a year or two it starts to look (from the outside) that the club is where the success comes from and we become a more permanent fixture at the top table. I think another part of the challenge alongside those you've listed is that the rest of Europe gets these years when our squad is at this level to sign the prospective/potential best players in the positions we just don't really have available to give many minutes in. Tricky (and interesting) times ahead.

For now though the squad looks really, really strong to me. Yeah Origi and Shaq should probably move on and look awkward for our main system. Minamino is unlikely (though I still hold a modicum of hope) to reach the required level. There's arguably a bit of a question around Bobby, and to a lesser extent Sadio, but in my opinion both of these, and especially Sadio were by products of everything that was shite about last season - Pandemic and the social impact, lack of supporters in grounds, ravaged squad through injuries and an unsettled spine & midfield. If it was me building the squad I'd probably be looking to move all of Origi, Shaq and Minamino and look to bring in a goal scoring/versatile centre forward. Jota/Mane/Salah all provide each other with competition now, Bobby still doesn't really have any - and I think that's a small factor in his dip in form as well. If I could only afford one big signing, I'd probably focus it all on that signing. We've really got a lot of players for midfield, especially if two of them aren't taken out of that pool to play centre half.

Whilst United have signed well imo - Sancho being the lauded one, but Varane being the player they really needed - we still don't really know what their level is. It may be 90 points now, but I'm not sure. City we know can go at that pace or better. Chelsea another bit of an unknown - their PPG worked out around 2 I believe, but you have to factor in Lampards part of the season, I'm sure it must have been better purely in Tuchels time. I still think as it stands if every club plays to their par that we finish, at worst, 2nd and that the difference between 1st/2nd probably comes down to the two head to heads versus City. You'd fancy us to make the CL semis as well, depending on draws and key player availability in the knock out stages. I don't think any of that is unreasonable or over-reaching. Worst case scenario, barring another squad wide injury crisis, is probably a 4th spot finish and 2nd round CL exit (This would be a bigger surprise to me than a 4th spot finish). If that worst case materialises (off the back of a quiet summer) then I'm sure there'll be plenty lining up to criticise everyone - they may well be right - but the brightside is I think we'll have seen very clearly what the issues are in the squad and they won't take much (in terms of signings) to address - plus we'll have this summers cash to do it with.

I'm absolutely buzzing for the season now. Got that feeling that come Norwich that the whole club will be frothing at the mouth to get going. Salivating at the prospect of ripping them apart, putting a marker down and retaining what I reckon they feel is their title. They'll have (rightly, imo) written last season off as a freak occurence and want to celebrating #20 infront of a full Anfield come May.

Lets go

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1700 on: August 4, 2021, 07:36:43 am »
Some day we'll need to replace a lot of players, and since we have the best Liverpool squad in the PL era, of course it will be difficult to improve or even maintain this level. But it's too soon to start selling key players now. They will still be very good for several years, so let's focus on trying to squeeze as many titles out of this group as possible.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: August 4, 2021, 08:16:16 am »
Personally I would be concerned if we don't get at the very least one midfielder. The two players that are supposed to be taking more of a hold of our midfield this season have unfortunately failed to deliver (Ox and Keita) and IMO are surplus to requirements. While Jones is a nice prospect, too much too soon and we can risk breaking him. If there's any money leftover, it would also be a good time to start thinking about Bobby's replacement and as someone mentioned above, I would have thought we would be all over Lautaro Martinez, especially for the price mentioned.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1702 on: August 4, 2021, 08:46:06 am »
No way Inter would sell both of Martinez and Lukaku this summer. They've already lost Hakimi to PSG.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1703 on: August 4, 2021, 09:06:57 am »
No way Inter would sell both of Martinez and Lukaku this summer. They've already lost Hakimi to PSG.

Depends how in the shit they are financially.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #1704 on: August 4, 2021, 09:07:00 am »
Personally I would be concerned if we don't get at the very least one midfielder. The two players that are supposed to be taking more of a hold of our midfield this season have unfortunately failed to deliver (Ox and Keita) and IMO are surplus to requirements. While Jones is a nice prospect, too much too soon and we can risk breaking him. If there's any money leftover, it would also be a good time to start thinking about Bobby's replacement and as someone mentioned above, I would have thought we would be all over Lautaro Martinez, especially for the price mentioned.
Same as you, we need to start to add players to a team that's pretty much been the same for 3 seasons now. Other than Jota, Thiago and hopefully Konate we've not added any real quality to the champions League winning team of 2019. Of course there have been other issues that have made doing so very difficult but our competitors are catching up and we're staying still if we don't add first team players to the squad.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1705 on: August 4, 2021, 09:10:11 am »
Same as you, we need to start to add players to a team that's pretty much been the same for 3 seasons now. Other than Jota, Thiago and hopefully Konate we've not added any real quality to the champions League winning team of 2019. Of course there have been other issues that have made doing so very difficult but our competitors are catching up and we're staying still if we don't add first team players to the squad.

Technically we have also added Jones and Tsimikas (albeit the jury is still out on the latter) as well to the squad.

However i do think the squad can do with one or two more quality players because there are now question marks against a number of players in terms of form and fitness.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1706 on: August 4, 2021, 09:23:23 am »

So other than 3 out of, say 14 sure fire first team level players, we’ve not added much.

Other than about 21%.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1707 on: August 4, 2021, 09:46:31 am »
We haven't lost any key players either, partially thanks to significant investments in new contracts.

I think we will add new and younger players, but there's no need to panic.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: August 4, 2021, 09:52:30 am »
It wont happen.
But lets say we are saving money for next season. Very unlikely I know.

But if then we had a much bigger budget next season.
We should do everything to try & get Haaland not Mbappe.  Haaland as a #9 in our side with the deliverly from wide area's would gurantee at least 25 league goals.
I would take him over Mbappe.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #1709 on: August 4, 2021, 09:53:44 am »
I think that's right.

As things stand, I think there are too many ifs to say how we will fare next season.
If we return to somewhere akin to out title winning form and consistency then we will have a great chance. If Mane and Bobby are back on it and if we have the legs and luck with injuries to key players and if teams have not figured us out and we can surprise them a bit then we will hopefully go deep in both the CL and league.
A couple of good signings over the next few weeks will help with all of that.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #1710 on: August 4, 2021, 09:59:56 am »
I think the concern is also exacerbated by the fact that 6 of the first 11 are in late 20's or older and even though we have moved to replace arguably 1 or 2 of them you feel that if we don't start the replacement process for 1 or 2 more this summer then we will have a lot to do all at once.
I am hopeful though that we will do that over the next few weeks.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: August 4, 2021, 10:02:25 am »
It wont happen.
But lets say we are saving money for next season. Very unlikely I know.

But if then we had a much bigger budget next season.
We should do everything to try & get Haaland not Mbappe.  Haaland as a #9 in our side with the deliverly from wide area's would gurantee at least 25 league goals.
I would take him over Mbappe.

We wont get Haaland. We are not in the conversation in terms of being able to afford players of that ilk.

Luckily though there are lots of good players about but i dont believe the next summer being the big one line.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: August 4, 2021, 10:08:26 am »
We wont get Haaland. We are not in the conversation in terms of being able to afford players of that ilk.
Except we are in that conversation for players of that ilk. Mbappe not Haaland.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1713 on: August 4, 2021, 10:11:38 am »
Part of the fear for people is also those who pick up knocks.

Matip
Ox
Keita
Henderson (to a lesser extent)

A huge trouble last season was obviously the cover. You of course can’t expect masses of injuries but we don’t need loads to cause us grief. Our first 11 is fantastic, the main clamour from what I’ve seen from fans is to strengthen the squad, we don’t seem to have a great deal especially in attack, in terms of coming off the bench and changing things if we’re struggling or need a goal. We’ve got some fantastic players in terms of ability, Keita is such a good talent but if we can’t have them staying fit, it doesn’t matter how good they are. We’ve all seen how one bad run of results can derail a season which is huge when you want to compete for the title

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: August 4, 2021, 10:21:38 am »

It depends what you mean by ‘in the conversation.’

The only credible link that we’ve had to Mbappe was the fact that we enquired prior to him leaving Monaco (as did a lot of other clubs.)

There’s been tenuous links since then which has mostly been people putting 2 and 2 together and getting 10, it’s been regularly denied by journalists close to the club (although granted that doesn’t necessarily mean a lot.)

I’d love to be proven wrong but I just don’t see it and I’m not convinced that we’ve ever been in the conversation for him, he’ll end up at Real Madrid.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #1715 on: August 4, 2021, 10:29:46 am »
Part of the fear for people is also those who pick up knocks.

Matip
Ox
Keita
Henderson (to a lesser extent)

A huge trouble last season was obviously the cover. You of course can’t expect masses of injuries but we don’t need loads to cause us grief. Our first 11 is fantastic, the main clamour from what I’ve seen from fans is to strengthen the squad, we don’t seem to have a great deal especially in attack, in terms of coming off the bench and changing things if we’re struggling or need a goal. We’ve got some fantastic players in terms of ability, Keita is such a good talent but if we can’t have them staying fit, it doesn’t matter how good they are. We’ve all seen how one bad run of results can derail a season which is huge when you want to compete for the title
Yeah, completely agree. I think we are talking about bringing in quality cover that will go on to be first teamers over the next few years and hopefully allow us to avoid a drop off while we transition.
The squad lacks quality depth or reliable quality depth. Like with all of these things though a couple of signings make a huge difference. Like a midfielder, get one in and suddenly if Naby stays fit all season its a wonderful bonus and not a worry.
Having more quality to be able to change games would be great. The line between the top teams is not that huge and subs can make a big difference. Look at the year we won it, won 14 games by 1 goal.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: August 4, 2021, 10:33:40 am »
I'm all aboard the Martinez train. Looks a perfect understudy to Firmino.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1717 on: August 4, 2021, 10:35:23 am »

Not when it comes to being able to afford it. He has said some nice words about us but that doesnt mean we are ever in the conversation to actually be able to afford him.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #1718 on: August 4, 2021, 10:36:24 am »
Depends how in the shit they are financially.

He has an 80 million euro release clause (About 68 million pounds), so if someone really really wants him, they know the price.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: August 4, 2021, 10:38:39 am »
Not when it comes to being able to afford it. He has said some nice words about us but that doesnt mean we are ever in the conversation to actually be able to afford him.
A few years ago I didn’t think we’d be able to afford Van Dijk and Alisson, the latter from under Real Madrid’s nose.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg