Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 453309 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #3520 on: July 30, 2021, 09:01:44 pm »
While that is true, how does it effect Hangman's title reign if in his first 2 or 3 months he is playing second fiddle to other feuds. Similarly Hangman vs Punk and Bryan isn't a big a match as them against Omega. Also if they wait, the mystique of Punk and Bryan dies off a little bit the longer they are a part of the furniture.

People are excited for this feud but that's because they are excited for Hangman, not particularly because it is a dream match. All hangman has to do is continue to grow after taking another hit, all Omega had to do is simply exist at the top until Hangman takes him.

I don't think any of this kills off hangman unless they fuck him up which they haven't so far. And I don't think the fans will shit on Punk or Bryan because it's not Hangman, because it is two of the most popular wrestlers of the past decade.

So long as Kenny stays at the top and Hangman continues to grow, the feud will survive. Especially with bigger names to satisfy before the eventual big win.

Still not convinced.  If Kenny faces Punk, Danielson, anyone else, are they going to be the ones to kick out of the OWA?  Does he steam through everyone before Page is the one to take the belt off him?  If anyone else beats him, that devalues the Hangman story.

If WWE had a hot, new wrestler who is as over as Page is and they pushed him back down the card to make way for older guys, we'd be shitting on it.  What happens if they cool Page off (again) and then he loses all his momentum and the crowd aren't with him anymore?  They've already done that part of the story, this is him on his way back up.

Makes no sense for him to just get beat down by The Elite and then dropped back into the midcard, what did that achieve?  He hasn't learned anything from it, there's no progression for him.

I think it's a dumb move and people will rightly be pissed if he doesn't get Omega soon.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3521 on: July 30, 2021, 10:12:50 pm »
It really is a tough decision. People praise AEW for their slow and organic build of Page with the Dark Order alongside Omegas rise as cocky heel that's hoovering up title belts from multiple promotions with the Elite.

But they now have the hottest free agents in wrestling debuting for your company at practically the same time  Everyone knowing that their sole goal is working matches that most have been dreaming on for the past decade. Matches that don't need build because the majority of fans have been building them up in their heads when AEW was conceived. Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Kenny Omega in a promotion capable of having ROH/NJPW/Dave Meltzer 5-7 star matches with WWE production values.

It is probably the worst time for Page to be in this kind of slow build program. There is still time to bring them to a conclusion before punk and Danielson debut. But there is a huge risk Page gets pushed into the shadows if it drags any longer than the start of the Rampage show

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3522 on: July 30, 2021, 10:14:19 pm »
Still not convinced.  If Kenny faces Punk, Danielson, anyone else, are they going to be the ones to kick out of the OWA?  Does he steam through everyone before Page is the one to take the belt off him?  If anyone else beats him, that devalues the Hangman story.

If WWE had a hot, new wrestler who is as over as Page is and they pushed him back down the card to make way for older guys, we'd be shitting on it.  What happens if they cool Page off (again) and then he loses all his momentum and the crowd aren't with him anymore?  They've already done that part of the story, this is him on his way back up.

Makes no sense for him to just get beat down by The Elite and then dropped back into the midcard, what did that achieve?  He hasn't learned anything from it, there's no progression for him.

I think it's a dumb move and people will rightly be pissed if he doesn't get Omega soon.

Well as I say Omega has to keep on top for the story. So you have the dream matches and Omega beats Punk and Danielson. They are big enough names, and Kenny protected enough, that I don't believe it hurts them. Of course neither have to beat him.

It's a bit different than dropping a young talent for older guys, it's holding a feud which can continue on, for your star man to have dream matches with the 2 biggest stars the company has ever signed.

And again on Hangman it's not going to work if he is just not learnt anything. He needs to react different from his first big hit he had before, show the growth he has had. If it's a case of "Oh well now he is just what he was before after the lose" but I don't think that's gonna happen. The lose is going to hurt, and he reacts to it. Maybe he gets close to slipping into old habits again and fights it off.

You can easily continue the story, you can easily keep Hangman's road to the title going. You can have your big matches with Kenny going over, and have Hangman grow. You obviously can't do it if Kenny loses to the new stars or if Hangman just becomes a midcarder and just forgets the elite feud, and if that happens sure, poor decision.

But I don't think you need to do the feud now, I don't think fans will shit on Omega vs Punk or Danielson because it isn't Page, and I don't think this is a case of "C'ya Page, your story ends now". He still beats Kenny, it just comes later.

And again I still think it's better to get the big dream matches out the way before Pages win so that he is not a top champion who is just a sideshow to bigger feuds.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3523 on: July 31, 2021, 12:32:07 am »
Nah, gotta completely disagree here. Page needs to be beat Omega now for him to be credible.

The good thing about AEW's win-loss thing is it's a good excuse for newcomers not to get an automatic title shot. Bryan and/or Punk can feud with Cody, Omega or Moxley before they go straight to a title shot. There can be several top feuds simultaneously, the way it was back in the Attitude Era. Surely, that's what everyone wants?

Incidentally, how has Brian Cage not already become the default cockney rhyming slang for roid rage?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 12:34:24 am by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3524 on: July 31, 2021, 01:47:09 am »
Apparently the main reason they're holding off on Omega vs Hangman is that former will face Jay White in a title match (don't know which title Omega will defend against White but they want him to still be the AEW champion when that happens), and apparently that will be the main event of TNA's Bound for Glory PPV.

With Punk vs Allin likely to be on the card at All Out, you can get away with booking a less glamorous title match as the main event (the rumors are Omega vs Christian) and not suffer from a weak buyrate as Punk will be the main draw as well as not worry about the attendance as the event is legit sold out and the second market tickets are the most expensive in the history of pro wrestling ($320 for the cheapest ticket on the second hand market vs $250 cheapest ticket for the 2015 Rumble).

Speaking of attendance, just the mere allusion to Punk has helped them sell 10,000 tickets for the Rampage episode at the United center which holds 20,000 but will most likely be between 17-18k after the setup for the set, etc. Similar to the sales going at their Arthur Ashe show, they haven't even announced any matches on the card yet.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3525 on: July 31, 2021, 03:36:20 pm »
So apparently WWE planted a fake story in Front Office Sports (a 3rd rate sports website) about Domino's outrage at the AEW main event and started sending it to their advertisers, somehow the author was able to get Domino's to comment on the story while they declined to comment when contacted by every other website.

Vince, however still maintains that AEW is not competition during the quarterly company call.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3526 on: July 31, 2021, 04:08:35 pm »
Vince is working himself into a shoot

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3527 on: July 31, 2021, 05:12:22 pm »
So apparently WWE planted a fake story in Front Office Sports (a 3rd rate sports website) about Domino's outrage at the AEW main event and started sending it to their advertisers, somehow the author was able to get Domino's to comment on the story while they declined to comment when contacted by every other website.

Vince, however still maintains that AEW is not competition during the quarterly company call.

Vince for some reason is still paranoid about Ted Turner. Has been forever

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3528 on: July 31, 2021, 05:47:52 pm »
Bray Wyatt released.
AHA!

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #3529 on: July 31, 2021, 05:51:19 pm »
Bray Wyatt released.

Imagine if him and Strowman ended up at AEW

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3530 on: July 31, 2021, 05:52:54 pm »
Bray Wyatt released.

Wow. There was talk of personal issues with him, wasn’t there?

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3531 on: July 31, 2021, 06:25:20 pm »
Unless there's some huge issue, Bray could be as big a pick up as Bryan or Punk. One of the best minds currently in wrestling, think what he could have been without Vince in the way.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #3532 on: July 31, 2021, 06:27:46 pm »
Unless there's some huge issue, Bray could be as big a pick up as Bryan or Punk. One of the best minds currently in wrestling, think what he could have been without Vince in the way.

They absolutely ruined him right from the start to be fair, constantly screwing up his reinventions

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3533 on: July 31, 2021, 06:36:00 pm »
They absolutely ruined him right from the start to be fair, constantly screwing up his reinventions

I think Bray got worse the more they leaned into the supernatural stuff. Just not sure it works in modern wrestling, although could be an age thing. Reckon the best incarnation of Bray is just when he was a cult leader, minus any supposed powers.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #3534 on: July 31, 2021, 07:07:10 pm »
Releasing Bray Wyatt!?!?!

Never my cup of tea but clearly a load of talent and ideas.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3535 on: July 31, 2021, 07:26:23 pm »
FUCKING BRAY GOT RELEASED? Jeez, would never have seen that coming.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3536 on: July 31, 2021, 07:28:41 pm »
Keep him away from AEW pls.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3537 on: July 31, 2021, 07:28:46 pm »
I think Bray got worse the more they leaned into the supernatural stuff. Just not sure it works in modern wrestling, although could be an age thing. Reckon the best incarnation of Bray is just when he was a cult leader, minus any supposed powers.

Yeah I always preferred creepy southern "True Detective" cult leader Bray, where by he was talking in riddles/tounges, and the supernatural stuff was ambiguous.

If he goes elsewhere, I hope he retains that type of gimmick. He has a way of saying gibberish nothing but still holding your attention with it. And coming across as somewhat threatening.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3538 on: July 31, 2021, 08:39:41 pm »
No real shock. They tried so many times to tweak his gimmick. Tried putting him with fiend/Alexa Bliss as a joker/Harley Quinn gimmick. Yet another talent WWE have dropped the ball on.

The death of Jonathan Huber/Luke Harper hit him hard.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3539 on: July 31, 2021, 10:19:20 pm »
Proper implosion this. Punk and Bryan ending up in AEW, Wyatt, Strowman and Black released and yet tv time given to the Viking Raiders, R-Truth and Eddie Guerrero’s bastard child
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3540 on: July 31, 2021, 11:32:34 pm »
Vince's comment now about sending some of their talents to AEW feels even more sickening considering he has to have known Bray's release is coming.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3541 on: August 1, 2021, 05:33:55 pm »

Bray is not on the level of Bryan or Punk.

Also AEW. Stop taking every damn WWE guy who leaves

I don't rate Wyatt. Decent promos. OK in the ring. Danielson and Punk are the best of their generation, both captured a zeitgeist in WWE and made historical moments, and both showed the ability before WWE in promotions like ROH.

Wyatt is a big name to WWE but AEW don't need him.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3542 on: August 1, 2021, 06:27:06 pm »
They could hire him back on a reduced costs contract.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3543 on: August 1, 2021, 07:18:29 pm »
AEW should bring him in but only as Husky Harris.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3544 on: August 1, 2021, 08:22:31 pm »
Got a feeling he’s done with wrestling personally. Stacks of money, beautiful wife ans family and some underlying personal issues he needs to sort out.

The bray Wyatt character is dead in the water and he was never returning in my opinion

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #3545 on: August 1, 2021, 10:29:46 pm »
Bray Wyatt released.

I was absolutely stunned with this, very few people in the company are safe if Strowman and Bray who were top champions within the last 12 months can be future endeavoured.

More profitable than ever... what is the point.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3546 on: August 1, 2021, 10:38:11 pm »
I was absolutely stunned with this, very few people in the company are safe if Strowman and Bray who were top champions within the last 12 months can be future endeavoured.

More profitable than ever... what is the point.
Maybe paying for Cena and Goldberg? And possibly also Undertaker for another Saudi show

Wyatt being let go is a massive shame. He didn't half talk some gibberish in his promos but his character was gold and it could've been similar to a modern day Undertaker, crowd certainly took to him. Same with Strowman, not your conventional big guy.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3547 on: August 1, 2021, 11:57:18 pm »
Maybe paying for Cena and Goldberg? And possibly also Undertaker for another Saudi show

Wyatt being let go is a massive shame. He didn't half talk some gibberish in his promos but his character was gold and it could've been similar to a modern day Undertaker, crowd certainly took to him. Same with Strowman, not your conventional big guy.

Nah they make that money anyway, and Undertaker near enough gets paid directly by the Saudi's for that show.

They don't have to cut a single person, never had. But Nick Khan has his spreadsheet and these guys are making too much money for them, so off they go.

Rumours which I don't believe is they are priming to be sold. Don't believe it as I say, but a lot of their actions do mirror a company who is getting ready to be sold.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3548 on: August 2, 2021, 12:00:18 am »
Bray is not on the level of Bryan or Punk.

Also AEW. Stop taking every damn WWE guy who leaves

I don't rate Wyatt. Decent promos. OK in the ring. Danielson and Punk are the best of their generation, both captured a zeitgeist in WWE and made historical moments, and both showed the ability before WWE in promotions like ROH.

Wyatt is a big name to WWE but AEW don't need him.
Of course he isn't on the same level as them in the ring, but he has that ability to create a compelling storyline and he's great on psychology. AEW have big, tough or smarmy heels, but they're missing someone who's truly sinister in a psychological sense. A Jake Roberts type. That's why I said 'could' - if they let him off the leash and avoid making him into a joke he could be the biggest heel in the company.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3549 on: August 2, 2021, 01:18:34 am »
So apparently one of the reasons Hangman isn't main eventing All Out now is because he is going on Paternity Leave for a while.

Fair enough I guess

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3550 on: August 2, 2021, 09:35:30 am »
I thought they only announced the pregnancy a month or so ago?  If the baby is due around All Out, then that does make a little more sense, but what doesn't make sense is why they would tease the fans like that with the 10 man on Dynamite.  Just keep him away from Kenny if you know he's definitely not going to be available for a title match for a while.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3551 on: August 2, 2021, 10:16:36 am »
I thought they only announced the pregnancy a month or so ago?  If the baby is due around All Out, then that does make a little more sense, but what doesn't make sense is why they would tease the fans like that with the 10 man on Dynamite.  Just keep him away from Kenny if you know he's definitely not going to be available for a title match for a while.

My guess is they will work a story into his leaving, finding himself of some sort. Rather than him just leaving which may cool him off if there's no explanation, he's just gone.

Although to be honest with his character, it could easily work saying he is going on Paternity Leave for a bit - being a modern young everyman with his own anxieties and dreams and issues, sacraficing his immediate spot to go off on Paternity Leave is a pretty relatable thing.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3552 on: August 2, 2021, 10:35:05 am »
In other news, apparently Adam Cole has been wrestling for a month without a contract, and will re-evaluate his position after SummerSlam.

Supposedly not too happy with his pay in WWE or the twitch restrictions, but if he is willing to work without a contract is seemingly somewhat happy there. Still I think he has done all he can cause Vince isn't going to do shit with a guy that sized, and the recent Kross booking shouldn't give anyone in NXT confidence

If I was AEW I would go out my way to get him if possible. Very well liked and some people would sell like crazy to put him over. A great possible future heel (who can also play Face, unlike say MJF who seems heel for life).

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3553 on: August 2, 2021, 12:40:42 pm »
One thing with AEW and WWE now being seen as the two main national brands, there's probably scope for a third there given how swollen the rosters are.  I'd much rather another company take the reins rather than AEW getting all the WWE cast-offs.  I know Impact is there (and NJPW, but I'm purely thinking English language-based) but they're not there despite being much better than most of their time as TNA.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3554 on: August 2, 2021, 01:12:23 pm »
One thing with AEW and WWE now being seen as the two main national brands, there's probably scope for a third there given how swollen the rosters are.  I'd much rather another company take the reins rather than AEW getting all the WWE cast-offs.  I know Impact is there (and NJPW, but I'm purely thinking English language-based) but they're not there despite being much better than most of their time as TNA.

Thing is, TNA and NJPW are working with AEW now and together, so it's all somewhat relative now. To be fair, Impact are looking into Buddy Murphy as a new star man to sign. They also did pick up Deonna, Chelsea Green, Zack Ryder, Curt Hawkins, EC3, and the Good Brothers (even if they spend so much time with AEW). However frankly for the bigger and upper midcard talent, there is more money in AEW who are willing to pick them up cause they offer something.

While AEW are picking WWE leavers, there is certainly value to be had picking up Bryan, Miro, Black, Andrade (although some question marks) PAC, FTR, and probably Ruby Soho in the future. Even some of the NXT talent they picked up have been successes (Like Tay Conti) or good enhancement talent (Ceazar Bononi). Other than Shawn Spears who is Cody's mate I don't think any of them can be considered bad signings.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3555 on: August 2, 2021, 02:32:07 pm »
If Cole's contract is up, I can't see any other scenario other than him popping up in AEW.  His girlfriend and mates are all there, he's never going to get any traction on the main WWE rosters and he's done everything in NXT.

Hopefully Impact can pick up more of the cast-offs and give themselves a chance to become the ECW of these current times.  They could get Wyatt, Fashion Police, IIconics, Braun, etc.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #3556 on: August 2, 2021, 03:40:27 pm »
I could also see Cole going back to ROH (established star) or Impact (lack of workrate heels and can fill the void of top heel once Omega stops showing up).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3557 on: August 2, 2021, 05:08:38 pm »
Britt said that she is not going to Romeo and Juliet their relationship forever and eventually will have to work in the same company. I have no doubt he will sign with AEW, I mean just look at this

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3558 on: August 2, 2021, 05:10:34 pm »
On a sidenote, Ric Flair asked for and was granted his release from WWE.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3559 on: August 2, 2021, 05:55:44 pm »
On a sidenote, Ric Flair asked for and was granted his release from WWE.

Tony Khan spending that inheritance.

I really hope they haven't promised him a way to wrestle again
« Last Edit: August 2, 2021, 06:00:08 pm by gazzalfc »