Author Topic: Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing  (Read 11065 times)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
Re: Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing
« Reply #40 on: September 2, 2020, 07:23:53 am »
Just caught up on episode 2 and it was much better - Bob less excitable and more believable.

But didn't like the blatant product placements of Ringos and Foxes biscuits - typical BBC - and the appearance of a celeb (even though I can forgive them for it being Feargal Sharkey).

Also, they should have explored the canal boat dwelling more.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #41 on: September 2, 2020, 08:00:04 am »
You think Foxes paid for Bob to stick two Party Rings in his eyes?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 2, 2020, 08:55:20 am »
You think Foxes paid for Bob to stick two Party Rings in his eyes?

It's known as subtle product placement - so placed as that we do not question it.

If you watch old US tv shows like Friends and Cheers, they often say things like 'yeh I got soaked standing outside Starbucks' or 'yeh just spilt a Coors all over my shirt' or 'did you see that car outside MacDonalds' for example

You must remember those specific 2 episodes on Friends - not subtle this time - where they mentioned Calvin Klein at least 20 times and another where there was a Porsche mentioned ad infinitum.

Getting back to Bob, why would there be a mention of the brand Foxes at all?

If it was just a spontaneous moment then why didn't he just put the biscuits on his eyes?

On Reeves and Mortimer does he say 'let's open a tin a Princes corned beef'? No he just opens a tin of corned beef.

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #43 on: September 2, 2020, 11:02:55 am »
It's known as subtle product placement - so placed as that we do not question it.

If you watch old US tv shows like Friends and Cheers, they often say things like 'yeh I got soaked standing outside Starbucks' or 'yeh just spilt a Coors all over my shirt' or 'did you see that car outside MacDonalds' for example

You must remember those specific 2 episodes on Friends - not subtle this time - where they mentioned Calvin Klein at least 20 times and another where there was a Porsche mentioned ad infinitum.

If it was just a spontaneous moment then why didn't he just put the biscuits on his eyes?

On Reeves and Mortimer does he say 'let's open a tin a Princes corned beef'? No he just opens a tin of corned beef.

Unless I am being incredibly gullible I really don`t see that party rings and some ringos are product placements mate. For a start, they are friggin party rings and ringos.....actually the end.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 2, 2020, 11:11:28 am »
Genuinely tone of the maddest things I've ever read on here ;D

The idea that a) Fox are going to pay for product placement on the BBC in the first place and b) if they were, they would spend it on a show where two old codgers go fishing, getting Bob Mortimer to stick them in his eyes.

Oh and c) someone at the BBC is going to circumvent OFCOM rules for a brown envelope from Fox's bloody biscuits.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #45 on: September 2, 2020, 12:09:46 pm »
 :lmao

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 2, 2020, 12:15:41 pm »
Well, just think abut what you've all mentioned?

The brand names in a discussion on a website to do with Liverpool FC.

It's done its job.

And if you think the BBC does everything by the book then I'm not going to change your mind.

Legal loopholes - that's all I'll say.

Why would a channel that doesn't use advertising to generate money openly discuss a brand name when they didn't have to?

Remember Blue Peter? They used to say sticky-back plastic because Cellotape is a brand name. They'd purposely cover WITH TAPE  any brand names.

The BBC ain't sunshine and daisies y'know.

Think again.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #47 on: September 2, 2020, 12:32:59 pm »

It's done its job.

And if you think the BBC does everything by the book then I'm not going to change your mind.

Why would a channel that doesn't use advertising to generate money openly discuss a brand name when they didn't have to?

Remember Blue Peter? They used to say sticky-back plastic because Cellotape is a brand name. They'd purposely cover WITH TAPE  any brand names.

Think again.

Nope. Not when it comes to party rings. That said, I did go out on Monday and buy 14 packets of party rings and a few £1 bags of ringos but I maintain it wasn`t because of Bob using them as funny eyes or onion dust. it was because I fancied it for a bank holiday tea to go with my capachoochoo. Ah, shit. He has got me drinking cappucino's as well as designing pencil cases. Bastard. I see your point now

"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #48 on: September 2, 2020, 12:36:22 pm »
But didn't like the blatant product placements of Ringos and Foxes biscuits
Found the McVities CEO.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 2, 2020, 12:56:18 pm »
We'll have to agree to disagree y'all  :wave

Enjoy munching on your cheesy rings and noshing foxes - but please be careful  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 2, 2020, 02:12:32 pm »

It's done its job.

Shit, I've had the wool pulled over my eyes by Big Confectionary ;D

Wake up sheeple!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #51 on: September 2, 2020, 02:51:53 pm »
What if it's reverse psychology?  Maryland cookies have actually planted the Fox's products in the show in order to generate a backlash against them and encouraging buying the cookies instead...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: September 2, 2020, 02:55:29 pm »
Well, just think abut what you've all mentioned?  (Started by you,how much was in your brown envelope ?)

It's done its job.

;D

Think again.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 2, 2020, 03:06:12 pm »
Okay I work for Foxes godammit - happy now  :wave

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 3, 2020, 07:37:27 am »

His dad was a sales rep for Foxes. This is from 2017:

Richard Osman
@richardosman
18 Mar 2017
Doing prep work* for World Cup Of Biscuits. It's weird that Fox's make great biscuits but you've never heard of any of their brands.
*eating

bob mortimer
@RealBobMortimer
Replying to
@richardosman
My dad was a salesman for Fox's biscuits. Had so many we used them as a Lego substitute
1:16 pm · 18 Mar 2017·Echofon

Richard Osman
@richardosman
18 Mar 2017
Replying to
@RealBobMortimer
The biscuits are amazing, I think they need work on their branding.

bob mortimer
@RealBobMortimer
18 Mar 2017
They are the BBC2 of the biscuit world.

Unless they were playing the long game and that exchange was a three-year lead-in?
« Last Edit: September 3, 2020, 07:39:15 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 3, 2020, 07:40:25 am »
And 2013:

bob mortimer
@RealBobMortimer
6 Feb 2013
My father was a salesman for Fox's biscuits but I told my friends it was for Fox's glacier mints #snobchild
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #56 on: September 4, 2020, 10:36:32 pm »
He does some very clever product placement as such on the Mince podcast. Golden Grahams being one. Not even sure if you can still buy.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #57 on: September 4, 2020, 10:47:22 pm »
He does some very clever product placement as such on the Mince podcast. Golden Grahams being one. Not even sure if you can still buy.

You can still find ‘em.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #58 on: September 4, 2020, 11:04:14 pm »
Do you think he gets paid for each of the 'price these three OOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH items in order' games? Product placement?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #59 on: September 7, 2020, 04:34:38 pm »
What if it's reverse psychology?  Maryland cookies have actually planted the Fox's products in the show in order to generate a backlash against them and encouraging buying the cookies instead...

...against the backdrop of industrial action!

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/burtons-biscuits-factory-strike-workers-go-strike-edinburgh-factory-2962233

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #60 on: September 7, 2020, 04:39:46 pm »
As long as Tunnocks keep churning out caramel Wafers, then burtons can do one. Wifey hogs the jammy dodgers anyways, I dont get a look in. Plus theres not enough in a packet. You just get your taste in and then the packet finishes. 8 fucking biscuits? Might be 10, but its still not enough.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 7, 2020, 04:39:47 pm »
Do you think he gets paid for each of the 'price these three OOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH items in order' games? Product placement?

He must have got a fortune from the 'car meat' chicken people and the Bulgarian rations company...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #62 on: September 7, 2020, 05:41:04 pm »
As long as Tunnocks keep churning out caramel Wafers, then burtons can do one. Wifey hogs the jammy dodgers anyways, I dont get a look in. Plus theres not enough in a packet. You just get your taste in and then the packet finishes. 8 fucking biscuits? Might be 10, but its still not enough.

I had to go to Southampton Hospital and the WVS cafe had caramel wafers.

Bought 10 to take home.  By the time we'd got home had none.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2020, 08:32:23 pm »
I would love to stay in that high house.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2020, 08:46:03 pm »
I would love to stay in that high house.

Yes, what a beautiful place. That river is only 15 minutes from my house but I dont know the area that well. Not sure exactly where that house is.
Edit: Just found out its King Arthur's Willow treehouse and it costs up to £3,500 per week to stay  :o. It's near Devises and is miles away from the river they were fishing.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:46:10 pm by Nitramdorf »

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2020, 08:58:58 pm »
Just a pair of great lads. I think it's my favourite programme

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2020, 07:56:05 am »
Yes, what a beautiful place. That river is only 15 minutes from my house but I dont know the area that well. Not sure exactly where that house is.
Edit: Just found out its King Arthur's Willow treehouse and it costs up to £3,500 per week to stay  :o. It's near Devises and is miles away from the river they were fishing.

£3.5k?  One for the future, maybe!  Do you fish?  Something I've tried but am officially terrible.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2020, 10:03:51 am »
£3.5k?  One for the future, maybe!  Do you fish?  Something I've tried but am officially terrible.

No, never really appealed to me on the few occasions I sat round a lake in the middle of the night. Have done a bit more sea fishing.

Yes, that place says £1100 to £3500 per week. Dont know why theres a difference, maybe you can hire a small bit of it or something. It looks so idyllic around there there, so relaxing.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2020, 11:27:48 am »
Yes, that place says £1100 to £3500 per week. Dont know why theres a difference, maybe you can hire a small bit of it or something.

Time of year?

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2020, 11:30:53 am »
He must have got a fortune from the 'car meat' chicken people and the Bulgarian rations company...

and trapped potatoes. Don`t forget the trapped potatoes

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2020, 08:32:00 pm »
Lovely end to the series.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2020, 09:51:40 pm »
Lovely end to the series.

Indeed, a 5lb plus Chub and a 8, maybe even an 9lb plus Barbel. Great finish.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2020, 12:40:36 pm »
Started filming series 4. Genuinely calms me down watching it

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2020, 01:35:18 pm »
I'd like to see an episode of magnet fishing on the Rochdale Canal.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2020, 05:58:30 pm »
I'd like to see an episode of magnet fishing on the Rochdale Canal.

;D yeh that'd be brilliant

Bob: I'd love to catch an old metal safe today Paul

Paul: well we'll just have to wait and see Bob

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2020, 07:38:33 pm »
Could watch this programme for ever and always. It's absolutely perfect and whilst they're going a bit more The Trip-like, and tugging on the heart strings (sorry!) a bit more than before, I welcome it and enjoy it.

Life affirming brilliance.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2020, 10:38:42 am »
;D yeh that'd be brilliant

Bob: I'd love to catch an old metal safe today Paul

Paul: well we'll just have to wait and see Bob

Shove it back into the canal with an "...and away!"

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 3, 2020, 07:19:29 pm »
The kindle version of the accompanying book is currently £1.49 on Amazon. Just read the intro and turns out Paul had a brush with death before his heart problems. Had a serious stomach problem. But the important thing was he nearly died before Bob nearly died  :)

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2020, 07:17:56 pm »

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2020, 11:31:55 am »
The kindle version of the accompanying book is currently £1.49 on Amazon. Just read the intro and turns out Paul had a brush with death before his heart problems. Had a serious stomach problem. But the important thing was he nearly died before Bob nearly died  :)

How was this?

What was the balance of it being about fishing and not?  Considering it as a Christmas gift for some people who like the show, and like Mortimer & Whitehouse, but have no interest in fishing...!