Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5738765 times)

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: I like the fact you underestimate Arsenal this season!!
« Reply #320 on: October 30, 2008, 10:43:57 am »
No, Almunia threw away 2 points. Nobody else was guilty of three goals.
Bollocks.
You don't spend the last 4 minutes chasing a goal, you kill the game in the corner when they've jut got one back.

You kill it in the corner.

Amateur hour.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: October 30, 2008, 10:44:42 am »
It's not the first time though is it? He and others said the same after we beat them in the CL quarters.

I don't blame them for that. We've said exactly the same on numerous occasions, just think back to around this time last year. I mean you've got to have a bit of optimism in your support, haven't you.
yep true still early days to write arsenal off.

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #322 on: October 30, 2008, 10:44:42 am »
Had any of three passes found Ade, he was clear, we got 5-3 up and oh look, it is a great thing. However because Almunia can't remotely save long shots and Song, who should be defending better, didn't pressurise the shooter, it is 4-4 and suddenly we should have put 11 men behind the ball and there is no way any team sitting back and defending has ever conceded.

My point was that it's not the lack of skill or even positioning though, it's the lack of desire. Surely most of those long shots could have been avoided if someone had of bust a gut to get there. If you look back to our game with Chelsea, Reina was hardly tested and that's down to the statistic that they had 7 blocked shots on goal, who knows 2 of them could have gone in and maybe we would be moaning about Reina's poor performance. That to me is what would hurt if I were an Arsenal fan.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:49:20 am by Dodgydon »
It is most odd.

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #323 on: October 30, 2008, 10:46:43 am »
Having a lilly livered captain like Gallas doesn't help. He's no leader.
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: October 30, 2008, 10:47:05 am »
Bad Walcott, bad Ade, bad Denilson, going for a 3rd against Bolton, you should have gone for the corner flag, not gone for a goal. Don't lok to play to your attacking strengths, finishing the game off and trying to take pressure off your weak point, clearly you should run it down the corner flag

you were two goals up, you think that your defense cant defend without conceding 3 for 9 minutes

not too sure what our back four could do about 4th, both shots outside the area, midifeld Song should be pressing the shooters. Clichy must take some blame for the 3rd but that was a slip, it happens

Surely most of those long shots could have been avoided if someone had of bust a gut to get there. If you look back to our game with Chelsea Reina was hardly tested and that's down to the statistic that they had 7 blocked shots.

been a problem all season. Cesc and Denilson work hard but are not the kind of players who are going to get that many blocks in, our centrebacks can't afford to race out to deal with and Song is the guy he should do so but two poor games now.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #325 on: October 30, 2008, 10:48:19 am »
Bad Walcott, bad Ade, bad Denilson, going for a 3rd against Bolton, you should have gone for the corner flag, not gone for a goal. Don't lok to play to your attacking strengths, finishing the game off and trying to take pressure off your weak point, clearly you should run it down the corner flag

not too sure what our back four could do about 4th, both shots outside the area, midifeld Song should be pressing the shooters. Clichy must take some blame for the 3rd but that was a slip, it happens

there is no point continuing this you are deluded

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: October 30, 2008, 10:49:58 am »
Why were none of you saying we were stupid to go for the 3rd against Bolton or the second against Twente and West Ham? That is what I don't get. We always play that way, to our strength and yet the one time that fails, 1 time, we are amuaters

Bit like saying Reina shouldn't throw balls out to Agger due to one mistake against City as far as I can see.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:19 am »
What an exhibition of lavly fatbawl that was from Arsenal last night.

I would like to congratulate them on their point.

Offline Slave

• Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #328 on: October 30, 2008, 10:52:39 am »
been a problem all season. Cesc and Denilson work hard but are not the kind of players who are going to get that many blocks in, our centrebacks can't afford to race out to deal with and Song is the guy he should do so but two poor games now.

Yeah I think we would all agree that you haven't properly replaced Flamini yet. Denilson, good as he is, isn't the sort of partner that Cesc needs atm. IMO,
It is most odd.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #329 on: October 30, 2008, 10:52:58 am »
Why were none of you saying we were stupid to go for the 3rd against Bolton or the second against Twente and West Ham? That is what I don't get. We always play that way, to our strength and yet the one time that fails, 1 time, we are amuaters

Bit like saying Reina shouldn't throw balls out to Agger due to one mistake against City as far as I can see.

no its not like that at all

you had the game sown up with 5 minutes to go, 2 goals ahead and just needed to play the ball about, keep hold of it with all the lovely passing you do and not take risks. Had you done that they would not have had the chance to have the long shots

I also think had you had flamini then neither Bentley, Jenas, or Modric would have got their shots away as he would have tried what few of your players attempted to do last night at important times and that was close men down quickly

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:01 am »
As good as they are going forward, Arsenal can't defend for toffee. I see Gallas threw a strop at the end again yesterday. What an absolute joke of a captain.

I also despise Adebayor. Everytime he has a hand in a goal or scores, no matter how insignificant the goal is or how small his part in a move, he celebrates like he's just recreated Maradona v England in 86 and fucking pouts, beats his chest, poses, dances etc. Fuck off. You didn't even want to be at the club last summer.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:56 am »
Why thank you L6 Red, most kind of you.  ;)

Yeah I think we would all agree that you haven't properly replaced Flamini yet. Denilson, good as he is, isn't the sort of partner that Cesc needs atm. IMO,

Pretty much the problem. I was hoping Song could fill that role but not done that well, Bolton aside.

you had the game sown up with 5 minutes to go, 2 goals ahead and just needed to play the ball about, keep hold of it with all the lovely passing you do and not take risks. Had you done that they would not have had the chance to have the long shots

I also think had you had flamini then neither Bentley, Jenas, or Modric would have got their shots away as he would have tried what few of your players attempted to do last night at important times and that was close men down quickly

Those attacks though, we had 3 or four players up though, enough to be a threat, more then enough back to defend. The 3rd goal, yeah ok we didn't have that many back to defend as we don't expect Clichy to slip and suddenly we have three defenders only to deal with it. Happens, had he not slipped we would be keep possession and we were doing that very well at the time.  4th, we had enough men back, just nobody pressing the shooter, someone nameley Song should be dropping back into the hole rather then 2 lines of 4.

Not so sure about the Bentley goal being stopped by Flamini, Denilson had just been heading the ball, or trying to, and presumably Flamini would be there too. While I won't say I miss Flamini, we are missing his type, someone closing players down when they get within shooting distance. Hull, Porto, Sunderland and one other have also been exploiting that. I like Song and he could do the role but Bolton aside, he hasn't done that and it is so frustrating
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:58:35 am by MagicHat »

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2008, 10:55:26 am »
As good as they are going forward, Arsenal can't defend for toffee. I see Gallas threw a strop at the end again yesterday. What an absolute joke of a captain.

I also despise Adebayor. Everytime he has a hand in a goal or scores, no matter how insignificant the goal is or how small his part in a move, he celebrates like he's just recreated Maradona v England in 86 and fucking pouts, beats his chest, poses, dances etc. Fuck off. You didn't even want to be at the club last summer.

thought it was funny myself, I dont think he gets on with many of the players cos he almost looks past them and just pouts to the crowd, even when he sets one up

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2008, 10:56:42 am »
Why thank you L6 Red, most kind of you.  ;)

If only they give bonus points for style, you'd be top of my league any day.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2008, 10:57:31 am »
This is the deluded arrogance that costs Arsenal.

When you're on the ropes and they're on the ascendancy, in the last 4 minutes, just kill the game.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2008, 10:57:52 am »
If only they give bonus points for style, you'd be top of my league any day.
West Brom would be in mine.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2008, 11:00:52 am »
They'll be a very good team soon. People forget how young they are. It's a very young, inexperienced team. It's difficult to remember that when you look at the talent. There was always going to be a transition period to take into account when you consider their age. They're undoubtedly talented though, and when it comes together in a few years they'll more than likely sweep all that comes before them. In the mean time, they're an absolute joy to watch.

I think my Sarcasm-o-meter has just broke :)
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2008, 11:01:22 am »

Three strays passes has nothing to do with Almunia throwing in two goals and being out of position at 4-2 up.

How come when Arsenal go well and break nobody complains but as soon as we dare attack and fail, it is suddenly the stupidest thing ever?

Because going on the attack carelessly at 4-2 up is, frankly, one of the stupidest things a team can do.
It's hardly rocket science to close a game out in that situation.
If Arsenal prefer not to do that than prepare for more of the same at the end of other games.
It might not be pretty but it gets points.

Almunia was beaten by wonderful shots last night by Bentley, Jenas and Modric...hardly woeful goalkeeping.
Instead of focusing on your keeper you should be asking how these players were afforded time to get in the shots in the first place.
That's where the problems lies...loose play in dangerous areas
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2008, 11:02:08 am »
Hull should have got bonus points for their win against us. Awful defending but they did try to play football.

This is the deluded arrogance that costs Arsenal.

When you're on the ropes and they're on the ascendancy, in the last 4 minutes, just kill the game.

Our version of killing the game though is to take that 1 goal lead and try to make it 2nd, always has been. I agree mistakes were made when we didn't have the ball, maybe Nic should have been sent on to act as a target man however we had enough players back for 4th.

Besides, Eboue trying to dribble to the corner flag, would have lost the ball quicker then passing it ;)

Because going on the attack carelessly at 4-2 up is, frankly, one of the stupidest things a team can do.
It's hardly rocket science to close a game out in that situation.
If Arsenal prefer not to do that than prepare for more of the same at the end of other games.
It might not be pretty but it gets points.

Our leftback slipped, he had not, he would played it to the midfield and we would have been fine. Where we went for the throat was more 4-3 then 4-2.

Our way has got us points before.

Almunia was beaten by wonderful shots last night by Bentley, Jenas and Modric...hardly woeful goalkeeping.
Instead of focusing on your keeper you should be asking how these players were afforded time to get in the shots in the first place.
That's where the problems lies...loose play in dangerous areas

Bentley, good volley but 40 yards, shouldn't be beaten there. Shouldn't be beaten when you get onto a 40 yard shot either, Jenas, positionally too far to the left and nowhere near it, probably to be fair would have saved Modric's effort had it been on target.

See other posts, I have agreed that our midfield has allowed too many shots in from those area's.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:04:55 am by MagicHat »

Offline Slave

• Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2008, 11:03:42 am »
thought it was funny myself, I dont think he gets on with many of the players cos he almost looks past them and just pouts to the crowd, even when he sets one up

Ah maybe that's the problem:

For instance, did you know that players who celebrate goals with their team-mates rather than running away from them will see their side achieve better results?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chrischarles/2008/10/lies_damned_lies_and_statictic.html
It is most odd.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2008, 11:08:42 am »
Ah maybe that's the problem:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chrischarles/2008/10/lies_damned_lies_and_statictic.html

proving your custom title right there.

Arsenal has the wrong attitude, whether Adebayour celebrates with his team or not has nothing to do with it.

Offline Slave

• Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2008, 11:12:27 am »
proving your custom title right there.

Arsenal has the wrong attitude, whether Adebayour celebrates with his team or not has nothing to do with it.

I wasn't being serious and I suppose it did confirm my custom title because it was people taking seriously my sarcastic jokes that got me it.  :P
It is most odd.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2008, 11:13:39 am »
ah let you off then

;)

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2008, 11:15:55 am »
Is it just me, or does nobody ever have a pop at Wenger when Arsenal fuck up?

Last night he did his interview and said "it's just a little bit of immaturity......young team....etc" and everyone seems to accept it like it's absolutely fine and perfectly understandable. It's not immaturity at all, it's what HE'S hammered into them - go for goals. It's pretty simple to understand that all they had to do was hold onto the ball for ONE MINUTE at the end and they would have had 3 points. But for some reason they all charge forward like there's nothing to lose and end up losing the ball.

That's just incredibly poor management, but nobody says fuck all.
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #344 on: October 30, 2008, 11:17:13 am »

Last night he did his interview and said "it's just a little bit of immaturity......young team....etc" and everyone seems to accept it like it's absolutely fine and perfectly understandable. It's not immaturity at all, it's what HE'S hammered into them - go for goals. It's pretty simple to understand that all they had to do was hold onto the ball for ONE MINUTE at the end and they would have had 3 points. But for some reason they all charge forward like there's nothing to lose and end up losing the ball.

I do I do I do 

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #345 on: October 30, 2008, 11:17:53 am »
MagicHat,

Can you not see the failure of this 'go for goal' approach?

The opposition cannot score if they do not have the ball.

You undid all your hard work and skill with two minutes of indiscipline last night.

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #346 on: October 30, 2008, 11:18:33 am »
Just realised that if I read the last couple of pages then that's the general consensus anyway. ;D
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: October 30, 2008, 11:19:49 am »
as someone said amateur time
if that had of been us no doubt it'd be zonal or rotation.
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #348 on: October 30, 2008, 11:24:22 am »
as someone said amateur time
if that had of been us no doubt it'd be zonal or rotation.

and the press would have destroyed us saying thats why we will never win the prem

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2008, 11:26:22 am »
Finally Adebayor dancing like a c*nt. I mean what a c*nt.
True. Can't really argue wit that.

Edit: I thought MagicHat asked why JL disliked Arsenal so much, but looking again it was Manilla Kop.

So my post was actually directed at MagicHat as if he had asked the question and not at, as it would appear, my imaginary Gooner friend.
:lmao

Offline Slave

• Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2008, 11:38:58 am »
and the press would have destroyed us saying thats why we will never win the prem

To be fair that's what Hansen did say about Arsenal on MOTD.
It is most odd.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #351 on: October 30, 2008, 11:40:39 am »
To be fair that's what Hansen did say about Arsenal on MOTD.

I mean in general, there is still a media love in for all things Arsenal, especially their kids

I really hope Fabregas did say that thing about the ladies team too

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #352 on: October 30, 2008, 11:41:59 am »

It's not immaturity at all, it's what HE'S hammered into them - go for goals.

Also the fact that he didn't replace Flamini and Gilberto with a good DM because nobody seems to be able to tackle in that midfield.Really weird decision as the money is certainly there.
On a further note,Gallas' reaction yesterday after the end of the match proved his leading skills once again. ;D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: October 30, 2008, 11:42:08 am »
MagicHat,

Can you not see the failure of this 'go for goal' approach?

The opposition cannot score if they do not have the ball.

You undid all your hard work and skill with two minutes of indiscipline last night.

I can see the point of it and we were keeping the ball until Clichy slipped. However the counter attacking game we use has served so well and I don't think it is entirely fair to lamblast us for having four players in Spurs half. We had more then enough men back to deal with the danger, that we didn't had more to do with failure of midfielders to close down the shooters, not because we sought a 5th to make the game safe.

Had we had six players in their half then yeah, that would have been silly but four? More concerned by other factors in build up to goals then going for a 5th.

Also the fact that he didn't replace Flamini and Gilberto with a good DM because nobody seems to be able to tackle in that midfield.Really weird decision as the money is certainly there.

we bid for 4/5 dm's and didn't get one. Little disconcerting at how bad we are at negioating

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: October 30, 2008, 11:43:01 am »
I'm sick of always hearing Wenger bleating on about his "young side". I mean he was going on the other week about how the average age of his team was 22 and i just thought "yeah mate but what you need to realise is that by the time all these players are 25 or so they'll be at other clubs".

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: October 30, 2008, 11:56:31 am »

we bid for 4/5 dm's and didn't get one. Little disconcerting at how bad we are at negioating
fuk me dont tell me coco is moonlighting for yer
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: October 30, 2008, 11:58:02 am »
Everyone else: "MagicHat, Arsenal's problem is that they don't know how to close a game out"

MagicHat: "But that's who we are. Don't try and change us, man."

Everyone else: "MagicHat, that's the whole point, close the game out and you run out winners."

MagicHat: "But that's how we play."

Everyone else: "That's why you've won fuck all for so long."

MagicHat: "But that's how we play."

Fucking laughable.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:47 am »
Bad Walcott, bad Ade, bad Denilson, going for a 3rd against Bolton, you should have gone for the corner flag, not gone for a goal. Don't lok to play to your attacking strengths, finishing the game off[/i] and trying to take pressure off your weak point, clearly you should run it down the corner flag

Christ-on-a-bike, the game was already finished off.  And therein lies the problem; your players don't appear to have "game intelligence".  Where was your captain when he should have been instructing the lads to win/keep posession and most of all, where was your manager when he should have been calming things down?
"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline tomtom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2008, 12:47:21 pm »
I think the thread on level 3 football talks about this in some shape or form. Arsenal's strategy is one dimensional, stuck in attack. Brilliant to watch as a neutral but not always brilliant to watch as an Arsenal fan... unless your content with entertainment over success.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2008, 12:52:20 pm »
At least Fabregas was absolutely right. Spurs really do find it hard to beat a bunch of Arsenal ladies. They only managed to draw 4-4  :D