Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 397843 times)

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2009, 02:23:49 pm »
You know what I'm going to ask about food... 

How old is Trigger now?

If he doesnt come back when called and does what he likes then he does get a slap but this doesnt seem to have any impact on him, almost to the point where he will do what he likes anyway and then just come back to you and lay on his back as if waiting for his telling off.

Actually it does have an impact on him.  What's the point in coming back to you if he's going to get a slap?  He's now conditioned to the idea that if he comes back [eventually], he's going to get a slap.

He thinks you're going to do it anyway, so he might as well have some fun before he takes his medicine.  He doesn't know you're slapping him for running off, but only that he gets a slap when he's back with you.  Where's the incentive to come back?

Stop slapping him.

If you want a dog to come back to you, you have to be the most exciting thing in the world to them, and worth coming back to.  Sounds like you need to do more with him to get your bond right.  It's only natural he wants to run off to have fun; but if you represent something even more fun, he'll want to come back, right?
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2009, 02:45:50 pm »
You know what I'm going to ask about food... 

He has Chudleys original at the minute i think (not certain as my dad buys the food) and some meat which is usually pedigree chum.

He is about 18 months old now.

To be honest that was the kind of response i was expecting. So you would suggest what, just fetch him and play with him/make a fuss of him and ignore that fact that he has ignored you calling him with the idea that eventually he will not see the need to run off?

Sorry if these are obvious questions.

See your point about being fun, kind of demonstrated in the fact that Dixon doesnt act in the same way as he's quite happy playing fetch and if he does go and greet another dog he will come back straight away.

Would be mighty easier if Trigger would join in with him!
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2009, 02:55:59 pm »
So you would suggest what, just fetch him and play with him/make a fuss of him and ignore that fact that he has ignored you calling him with the idea that eventually he will not see the need to run off?

If you want a dog to come back to you, you have to be the most exciting thing in the world to them, and worth coming back to.  Sounds like you need to do more with him to get your bond right.  It's only natural he wants to run off to have fun; but if you represent something even more fun, he'll want to come back, right?

Well, you know him better than I do.  What can you do that he'll respond to?  What does he love?  What are his favourite things?
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2009, 03:04:41 pm »
Well, you know him better than I do.  What can you do that he'll respond to?  What does he love?  What are his favourite things?

Well he will play with certain toys but more to just take them off Dixon/wrestle with him and when he loses interest he isnt bothered by them. He loves fuss as you would imagine but whether he would come back for that rather than going and seeing a dog he hasnt met before is questionable.

Ive tried tried treats before and that worked to an extent, as in give him a treat when he comes back with a view to him associating coming back with something good so i think that will be the best way to go.

I will give that a try i think and see how it goes.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2009, 05:24:14 pm »
Ive tried tried treats before and that worked to an extent, as in give him a treat when he comes back with a view to him associating coming back with something good so i think that will be the best way to go.

Try cooked liver.  Dogs love it, and if you only use it on your walks, he's got an incentive to come back to you because you don't use it any other time.  :)

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:39 pm »
I have one dog who suffers from epilepsy episodes, what can I do to help him through his episodes?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2009, 10:03:06 pm »
How often does he have them, and is he on any medication?

Make sure his food doesn't have any artificial nonsense in them as the chemicals can make the episodes much worse (this is REALLY important - some e-numbers have been known to trigger fits in dogs with epilepsy).  While he's having the fit, make sure he's in a safe place.  We would sing to our dogs while they were having a fit so they hear a soothing voice when they come round.  When they come round, give them som sugar water or honey water to help get their blood sugar back up.  You can also put honey on their tongue too, to help with the blood sugar level.

You might want to contact the Canine Epilepsy Support Group - they have some fantastic ideas on how to help.  :)

http://www.canineepilepsysupport.co.uk/

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2009, 10:17:37 pm »
How often does he have them, and is he on any medication?

Make sure his food doesn't have any artificial nonsense in them as the chemicals can make the episodes much worse (this is REALLY important - some e-numbers have been known to trigger fits in dogs with epilepsy).  While he's having the fit, make sure he's in a safe place.  We would sing to our dogs while they were having a fit so they hear a soothing voice when they come round.  When they come round, give them som sugar water or honey water to help get their blood sugar back up.  You can also put honey on their tongue too, to help with the blood sugar level.

You might want to contact the Canine Epilepsy Support Group - they have some fantastic ideas on how to help.  :)

http://www.canineepilepsysupport.co.uk/
yes he is under medication, we give him Phenobarbital, 10mg daily. He eats Pedigree.
he has fits once a month, but a couple of weeks ago he had a few fits, so we gave him 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the night, so he has improved a lot.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2009, 09:48:49 am »
Which Pedigree food?  Check the pack.  If you're feeding tins or bags of food that are less than 15kg in size, look for the phrase "Contains EC permitted colourings / preservatives / additives" or similar.  If it says that, stop feeding him that food.

What breed is he, and what is his name?  We feed a food called CSJ ( www.csjk9.com ) and for a pet dog, their Natural Champ food is really good, and very well priced.  :)  They can deliver it to you so you don't have to go out and find it.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2009, 01:55:06 am »
Which Pedigree food?  Check the pack.  If you're feeding tins or bags of food that are less than 15kg in size, look for the phrase "Contains EC permitted colourings / preservatives / additives" or similar.  If it says that, stop feeding him that food.

What breed is he, and what is his name?  We feed a food called CSJ ( www.csjk9.com ) and for a pet dog, their Natural Champ food is really good, and very well priced.  :)  They can deliver it to you so you don't have to go out and find it.
food for small breeds and I buy bags of more than 15kg because I have two dogs more...
His name is Tigre and is a mix between pinscher and chihuahua, he is almost 6 years old now...
I don't live in the uk, so if you know any other type of brand I would appreciate it.

another couple of questions, his currently weight is 8kg and look a bit chubby, is important for him to be fit? and which are the long term consecuences of using those drugs for his fits?

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2009, 12:56:38 pm »
With any long term drug use, there are always side-effects, as the years go on, the medicine will become less effective and his doses will have to be increased.

As for the food, just try to feed him as naturally as you can.  You should post a picture of hism..  :)

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: February 18, 2009, 04:27:30 pm »
With any long term drug use, there are always side-effects, as the years go on, the medicine will become less effective and his doses will have to be increased.

As for the food, just try to feed him as naturally as you can.  You should post a picture of hism..  :)
Thanks for the advice Rox, really appreciated

this is Tigre:
;D

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2009, 05:06:56 pm »
He's a smashing looking chap, isn't he?  :)

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2009, 05:44:07 pm »
Hey Rox. I really appreciated the advice before and the jumping is getting better thanks. :D However I did discover a rather odd thing yesterday, I live on a pretty big land 2 hec. so i dont really take my dogs for walks, I just play with them outside. Yesterday however I decided that my puppy should at least be trained to walk on a leash and be exposed to the outside world a bit more. She got 20 yards outside the front gate and sat down flat and started crying cause she wanted to go back home. Any help would be appreciated because Im very confused, she is not a timid dog by nature
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2009, 05:48:50 pm »
Thanks for the advice Rox, really appreciated

this is Tigre:
;D

Cutie :)

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2009, 08:32:09 am »
Hey Rox. I really appreciated the advice before and the jumping is getting better thanks. :D However I did discover a rather odd thing yesterday, I live on a pretty big land 2 hec. so i dont really take my dogs for walks, I just play with them outside. Yesterday however I decided that my puppy should at least be trained to walk on a leash and be exposed to the outside world a bit more. She got 20 yards outside the front gate and sat down flat and started crying cause she wanted to go back home. Any help would be appreciated because Im very confused, she is not a timid dog by nature

It's all new for her, so you have to make being on a lead and going for that walk exciting.  If she gets worried, DON'T fuss her or reassure her:  the tone of voice and actions are the same as telling her "good girl for being worried".

If she doesn't want to carry on, reverse your course and go the other way for a few steps, turn around and run excitedly with her, talking to her all the time.  The more she concentrates on you, the less she'll be worried about the things around her.  :)

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2009, 08:55:17 am »
I've sent you a personal message Rox :)

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2009, 10:58:32 am »
I've sent you a personal message Rox :)

And Chloe is a lovely dog!!  Make sure you make the right decision.  :)

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2009, 11:03:09 am »
And Chloe is a lovely dog!!  Make sure you make the right decision.  :)

Thanks :) Will have to discuss it with family how miss her so much...

Offline SteB

• Kopite
  • Our Reason, Our Inspiration, Our Pride. JFT 96
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2009, 01:20:32 pm »
Hiya mate,

Have just (2 months ago) got a dog from the RSPCA centre by ours, she is a cross between a Lab and a Staffy. When we got her they said they thought she was about 7 months but the vet thought is was closer to 10 months.

She goes out for a 30 min walk of a morning, goes to the park for a run for about an hour and a half of an afternoon and 30 mins walk of a night. During the two 30 mins walk she is on a lead for about 20 mins and off running around for about 10, would you say she is being excercised enough?

Also, during the walks I have been trying to get her to walk with me but she pulls an awful lot.

During a walk last week I bumped in to some fella who says that he has the same type of cross and as she got older she never grew out of the pulling.

Is this typical of this type of dog or would you say it could be trained out of her? Any tips if it can?

I have tried taking treats out and when she is walking well rewarding her but it really doesnt seem to improve anything in the long term. Her recall is brilliant, her obedience in the house and around the baby is great, it just seems to be this one thing.

Thanks for any help mate
What you see is what you get Youve made your bed, you better lie in it You choose your leaders and place your trust As their lies wash you down and their promises rust Youll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns And the public wants what the public gets But I dont get what this society wants

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: February 22, 2009, 08:19:07 pm »
Another fairly (probably) stupid question Rox.

Our Alfie is very excitable and does a lot of jumping up and also snapping (not trying to hurt, just doing that thing where he lightly bites you).

It doesn't personally bother me, because I'm big enough that him hitting me doesn't really affect me but I'm worried about him hurting the wife or (in fact, especially) my young niece or other kids.

I see you mentioned a couple of pages back 'making it more exciting to be on the ground than jumping' - is that treats (he will do pretty much anything for a treat), toys (he's got a few but he's not really interested in them. He'd rather play with an old mop bucket that he's nicked off us or an empty lemonade bottle) or something else?

I've give him a very light slap on the nose a couple of times but I don't really want to do that because he doesn't really understand why I'm doing it and I don't want him to be scared of me. I'd rather he did something because he wants to than because he's scared of me.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2009, 08:24:47 pm »
I found the best thing to stop my dog jumping up when people come into the house or what ever was to totally ignore it and walk on by. Leave it a while and give it some attention when it calms down and stops jumping

That worked for me anyway Dava

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2009, 06:05:41 am »
I found the best thing to stop my dog jumping up when people come into the house or what ever was to totally ignore it and walk on by. Leave it a while and give it some attention when it calms down and stops jumping

That worked for me anyway Dava

I'll give that a go, see what happens
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2009, 10:17:20 am »
SteB, if you want a dog to walk alongside you, you need to give them a reason to want to be there.  What does she like?  Will she concentrate on you if you have treats, etc?

BIGdavalad, Worldchampions suggestion is a good one.  Also, when they jump you can turn your back - however, he is only 8 months, so he's still a pup and acting like a pup, bless him.  :)  The 'light' biting is mouthing, which is common in dogs of Alfie's age.  What you want to do is give him stuff he's allowed to bite when he mouths; when he mouths your hand, use your voice to grumble, "Oh?  Whatyoudoing?", or use his 'Sunday' name...  "Alfred...."  :D  The tone and gravel in the voice is important, then when he chews what he's allowed, give him plenty of fuss and praise for doing it right.  He'll soon want to chew stuff he's allowed to, rather than stuff he isn't.

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2009, 10:36:21 am »
Hi Rox, I'm having the same problem as SteB when walking Jess. She's fine when we're in the park or somewhere open off the lead, comes back when called, happy to go back on the lead when she knows we're getting close to the car to go home etc.

But when I try to take her for a walk in the morning of the evening just round the streets and stuff, she pulls like I don't know what! She doesn't take any notice of treats while we're out, and after trying different harnesses she still pulls. I've her on a really short lead to try and keep her by my side, but because she's not that big, she either manages to get in front of me, or pretty much has her front paws off the floor. She's normally calmed down abit after about 15 minutes, and when I tug on her lead abit then, she slows down and almost walks by my side (until she decides to speed up again!).

The only harness I haven't tried is the one that goes around her mouth, is that any good, or is there something else I could try?

Thanks  :wave
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: February 23, 2009, 12:48:00 pm »
Cheers Rox, I'll give that a go

Offline SteB

• Kopite
  • Our Reason, Our Inspiration, Our Pride. JFT 96
« Reply #266 on: February 23, 2009, 01:01:31 pm »
SteB, if you want a dog to walk alongside you, you need to give them a reason to want to be there.  What does she like?  Will she concentrate on you if you have treats, etc?

BIGdavalad, Worldchampions suggestion is a good one.  Also, when they jump you can turn your back - however, he is only 8 months, so he's still a pup and acting like a pup, bless him.  :)  The 'light' biting is mouthing, which is common in dogs of Alfie's age.  What you want to do is give him stuff he's allowed to bite when he mouths; when he mouths your hand, use your voice to grumble, "Oh?  Whatyoudoing?", or use his 'Sunday' name...  "Alfred...."  :D  The tone and gravel in the voice is important, then when he chews what he's allowed, give him plenty of fuss and praise for doing it right.  He'll soon want to chew stuff he's allowed to, rather than stuff he isn't.

Sorry mate, it isnt that i particually want her to walk alongside me, just want to stop her pulling.

One common scenario is: we get to a road, i tell her to stop and sit which she does no problem (i have got her to do this with treats), once i have checked the road is clear and have said OK or come on then she just darts off, the lead ends up going tight and she more or less comes off all 4 paws.

She also starts pulling on her lead every now and again when we are just walking along, even if it doesnt seem there is a distraction around

Have tried training her with treats but really dont seem to be getting anywhere, i think this might be because i am unsure at what point to give her a treat and what to do when she does wrong.

She loves treats (dog biscuits and cheese) though doesnt really seem too in to toys, except for a tennis ball when in the park and off the lead.
What you see is what you get Youve made your bed, you better lie in it You choose your leaders and place your trust As their lies wash you down and their promises rust Youll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns And the public wants what the public gets But I dont get what this society wants

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 23, 2009, 01:03:27 pm »
Don't know if anyone has seen it but theres a programme on sky called "The Dog Whisperer". It's American but the guy shows you lots of ways to solve common problems with dogs

Think its on sky1 or sky2

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #268 on: February 23, 2009, 01:38:46 pm »
Sorry mate, it isnt that i particually want her to walk alongside me, just want to stop her pulling.

And the best way to do that is to get her at your side doing things for you.  Otherwise you're wanting her to be somewhere magically inbetween the end of the lead and you for no reason at all.

Don't know if anyone has seen it but theres a programme on sky called "The Dog Whisperer". It's American but the guy shows you lots of ways to solve common problems with dogs

Think its on sky1 or sky2

I wouldn't use his 'dominance' methods, ta.  Dogs are brighter than that.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: March 13, 2009, 08:00:15 pm »
Can dogs have OCD? Every time we get Alfie back from a walk the first thing he does is sprint up to the door, waits for you to open it then goes bounding in and checks that his bed is still there and all his things are where he's left them.

He gives you proper dirty looks if you move something from where he's put it too.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #270 on: March 14, 2009, 08:49:55 am »
Dogs love routine and order, especially working type dogs (sound familiar? :) ).  If they can't tell what's 'right', they can't really problem solve and 'work' to put it right.  Giving you dirty looks and the cold shoulder probably mean you put it back where it was before - and he's managed to solve the problem.

Dogs are a hell of a lot more intelligent than most people give them credit for.  In fact, a dog's IQ is probably a good 70 or 80 points higher than the average IQ in the post match threads...  :D

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: May 5, 2009, 07:42:45 pm »
A little bit of advice (yet again!) needed please Rox, if you don't mind?

Alfie (obviously) is a pretty big dog and he gets very over excited if you play with anything while he's out for a walk - sticks, balls, whatever.

Basically if you throw something for him and he sees you pick something else up while he's chasing the first one, he'll sprint back at you like a frigging rocket and jump at you to try and get at it, often snapping (playfully, not aggressively) too.

Obviously with such a big animal it's not something that he can carry on doing. I don't want to be smacking him all the time for doing it and I don't want to stop him from playing while he's out either, so what's the best way of calming him down a bit? I remember you saying about turning your back, but he just jumps into your back instead and he's put my missus on her arse a couple of times doing it.

He gets Wagg food to eat (I know you like to ask) - I've looked at the label and I didn't see anything that stood out as 'bad' but clearly I'm not really an expert with dogs or their nutrition.

We were talking about getting him snipped, although I'm a bit wary. I've heard that it can change their personality, which I don't really want to do incase it takes a turn for the worse instead of the better.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #272 on: May 5, 2009, 08:02:20 pm »
Take it from someone who's had hundreds of dogs neutered / speyed - it doesn't change their personality.  There are lots of reasons to do it, not least because it prevents things like prostate / testicular cancer.

Because dogs only use their reproductive bits n pieces when the time is right and there's a smell in the air, they don't miss it when they're neutered / speyed.  They don't spend the whole time thinking about it.

Looks like Wagg contains E numbers, looking at their site, it says "With Antioxidant and Preserved with: EC additives".  Usually that's BHA and BHT.  (E321 and E320)  because they aren't listing exactly what's in it, I can't be sure, but I don't like not knowing.  :(

Please don't slap him - I refer you to the post at the top of the page... ;)

As for his snapping, the best thing is to teach him to carry something (alternatively instead of picking something up BEFORE he's caught the other thing, do it after, and give him plenty of praise for holding it).

Being a GSD, they are often trained to hold things until they're allowed to release, so get some breed specific advice on how to tackle that - there's loads of GSD sites around that may be able to help.  :)

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: May 6, 2009, 07:12:53 am »
Cheers Rox, I'll have a look at a few GSD sites and see what I can find and try him holding on to things.

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: May 6, 2009, 07:30:11 am »
Rox,

Hope you can help mate. I got a new puppy a few weeks ago, a Kelpie cross Staffy. She is now about 13 weeks old.

She wont stop bloody chewing everything in sight. Ive bought her heaps of chew toys but she doesnt want anything to do with them.

I know that she is teething and it will eventually pass, but at the moment she chews the table, the remote, clothes, everything! She even chews her own leg!

Can you suggest something that I can do to maybe get her to chew her toys? Or something that will stop her ruining everything I own?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #275 on: May 6, 2009, 09:03:41 am »
Tom, has she been wormed and flea treated lately? This is especially important if she's chewing herself.

Go to your local butcher and get a nice, big meaty marrowbone.  They will always prefer that to a table leg.

A Staffie X Kelpie is going to be one livewire of a dog..  :D  What are you feeding her?

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: May 6, 2009, 01:09:39 pm »
Tom, has she been wormed and flea treated lately? This is especially important if she's chewing herself.

Go to your local butcher and get a nice, big meaty marrowbone.  They will always prefer that to a table leg.

A Staffie X Kelpie is going to be one livewire of a dog..  :D  What are you feeding her?

She got her last booster shot today and she has a flea collar. Thanks for the tip about the bone, Ill get one today.
We feed her a variety of things, mainly canned and dry food. What would you suggest?

She is a little nutter, she has so much energy just running around everywhere, tripping over her own feet, crashing into walls, cutest little thing.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #277 on: May 6, 2009, 03:33:39 pm »
Flea collars are uselss, by the way.  You want to use something like Drontal.

A lot of dog foods contain E-numbers.  See this thread:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=176730.msg2967515#msg2967515

There's food advice aplenty in there.  You'll see how food really affects behaviour.

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: May 7, 2009, 07:17:51 am »
Flea collars are uselss, by the way.  You want to use something like Drontal.

A lot of dog foods contain E-numbers.  See this thread:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=176730.msg2967515#msg2967515

There's food advice aplenty in there.  You'll see how food really affects behaviour.

Thanks for the tips mate!

I have now decided to only feed her natural food, meat from the butcher etc, Ill let you know if her behaviour improves.

Here is my little girl by the way:

Her name is Cookie
« Last Edit: May 8, 2009, 03:52:25 am by TomG »

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #279 on: May 27, 2009, 06:53:23 pm »
Hey, just needed some advice on a dog a friend and I have semi-adopted.

We had a dog that wandered around our neighbourhood, and he was in pretty good shape, and gradually, we warmed to him and kinda took him in. We got him checked at a vet, who gave him a clean bill of health for a stray. He pretty much lives with my friend, who feeds and waters him, and gets let out to wander about in the day. He always comes back at night without any problems.

From the day we got him, he's always been very friendly and docile. He got a bit territorial at one point, and started to bark and growl at people who tried to come into the house, but generally, as long as we let him get used to the people who were around, he would more or less ignore them and curl up to sleep in a corner.

However, recently he's developed a rather nasty streak. It started one day when he growled really ferociously at a friend who he had previously known and been on civil terms with who just happened to walk into the house. He kinda calmed down after a while, and let our friend alone. However when the same friend came around the next day, he got really vicious, and actually lunged at him and bit him pretty badly on the arm, putting a puncture about two centimeters deep. We put a muzzle on him, and he seems normal most of the time, but occassionally just goes ferocious and growls and lunges at people again.

We've took him to the vet this week to arrange an appointment to get him neutered hoping it would help, and the vet also said that he had a slight infection they discovered while taking a pre-surgery blood test, and we were wondering whether it was the infection that was causing him to get cranky. We've been feeding him anti-biotics, and we're gonna get him neutered regardless of what happens after he finishes his medication.

My question is, what could be the possible causes of him just becoming so unfriendly? He was never vicious at all in the past. Is him being sick all there is to it? Will the neutering help? In all seriousness, if there's no significant change in his behaviour, we're probably going to have to go have him put down. He actually snapped really viciously at my friend's girlfriend today, and would have bit her pretty bad if she hadn't instinctly jerked back, and that's the first time he's ever been hostile to any of the three of us who he sees everyday. He's also recently become a bit more antisocial. He used to sleep in my friend's bedroom with them, and would happily jump into the bed in the mornings and curl up with them, but recently, he's been a bit of a loner at night and gone to sleep on the steps or downstairs by himself. Which would seem to be indicating is his illness that's making him grouchy. But I was just wondering if there's any possible cause we didn't think of, and any other steps we could take because he's really a pretty decent dog, and has been that way until the past week, and it'd be sad if we had to have him put to sleep.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:22:39 pm by Valore »
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200