Author Topic: France 98  (Read 20093 times)

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
Re: France 98
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 10:14:56 pm »
The thread starter needs a username change.

Offline Paris Saint-Germain

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 11:02:14 am »
Lilian Thuram's redemption in the Semi Vs Croatia was without doubt the best moment of that World Cup for me, one of my all time favourite football moments.

His mistake led to Suker taking the lead for Croatia. He could have gone into his shell, could have gone missing after that, Gazza-style.

Instead, he scored. Twice. From right-back. In a World Cup fucking semi.

He played in 141 other games for France and didnt score another goal.

Phrases like "taking responsibilty" and "standing up and being counted" are used far too often in football, usually when John Terry scores in a friendly against the USA, but this was the real deal.

Lilian Thuram, I salute you.

I was in le stade de France, great moment, thank you Lilian !!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:03:54 am by Paris Saint-Germain »

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »
Lilian Thuram, I salute you.
Agree with all of that, what a defender he was. And not just him, France's backfour was outstanding the whole tournament, and the single most important reason why they won (yes, more than Zidane, who apart from the final had a fairly average world cup). Thuram-Blanc-Desially-Lizarazu is, along with the legendary Milan defence of the late 80's- early 90's, the best I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:12:59 pm by Roger Federer »

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 12:22:16 pm »
82 in spain was magical

86 was a good one too.

nothing has really come close since
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 02:07:27 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ljHm_DgzWgg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ljHm_DgzWgg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

I get turned on listening to the commentary.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2009, 02:17:31 pm »
It's funny looking back and remembering how hated Beckham was after the Argentina game, I distinctly remember some pople hanging a dummy with his picture on it.

Compared the embarrasing wanking off about him from the media (Steve Bruce!) these days its quite surprising
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline benny

• Anny Roader
  • the road end united will never be defeated
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2009, 02:28:59 pm »
i rememeber getting brazil in the sweep in work then backing them as well fucking buzzin i was think i told everyone i met in that month how much i was about to win. fuckin bastard

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2009, 03:33:00 pm »
only bad thing about the tournament was the Ronaldo shit, was for me hands down the best player in the tournament by a country mile, even though zidane won that accolade, I loved fat ron and he was at his scintillating best up till that final.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2009, 09:03:15 pm »
just on england, back in that tournament we were playing three at the back if i'm not mistaken? i also remember the massive hullabaloo about hoddle's decision not to take gazza.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2009, 09:18:23 pm »
Remember Brazil-Denmark being a cracking game with Rivaldo scoring a beauty past Schmeichel.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2009, 09:43:39 pm »
Remember Brazil-Denmark being a cracking game with Rivaldo scoring a beauty past Schmeichel.

As good as this one past Schmeichel? And a better celebration?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HpCW7Op1Obk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HpCW7Op1Obk</a>

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2009, 09:49:05 pm »
Croatia lit up that tournement Bilic, Boban, Sukar great side

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2009, 11:17:09 pm »
Sunday Oliseh, v Spain, 35-yards. Bang.

I remember that one so vividly. It was an exocert of a shot and it just flew in.

No-one had given Nigeria any chance of going through even their goalkeeper, Peter Rufai tried to make a mess of things in that game.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:23:11 pm by Sorted!! »
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sky Sports - It's shite
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2009, 11:31:43 pm »
France 98 was probably my favourite ever world cup; the ones I remember in the 1970s were only good because you never got to see so much live footy on the telly otherwise, Spain 82 was colourful, Mexico 86 was lit up only by Maradona at his brilliant best, Italia 90 was exciting if only because of Gazza and Englands unlikely progression to the semi-finals, Germany 06 was decent to be fair but yes there was something about France 98 that still makes me smile wistfully.

Have to say that the best world cup tournaments usually involve England..... strangely
If Kenny Dalglish cannot influence the team to play with more pride in their shirts for the millions of fans they represent, then what chance does anyone else have?

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2009, 11:50:01 pm »
For me, World Cup 98 was special because I really liked the Yugoslavia side.

How is this for an attacking unit:

Savićević
Mijatović
Stojković
Mihajlović
Milošević
Stanković
Kovačević

BRILLIANT!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2009, 11:54:38 pm »
France 98 was probably my favourite ever world cup; the ones I remember in the 1970s were only good because you never got to see so much live footy on the telly otherwise, Spain 82 was colourful, Mexico 86 was lit up only by Maradona at his brilliant best, Italia 90 was exciting if only because of Gazza and Englands unlikely progression to the semi-finals, Germany 06 was decent to be fair but yes there was something about France 98 that still makes me smile wistfully.

Have to say that the best world cup tournaments usually involve England..... strangely

Are you implying that England are a vital ingrediant for a good World Cup if you are you're obviously crazy.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2009, 11:59:58 pm »
Are you implying that England are a vital ingrediant for a good World Cup if you are you're obviously crazy.

lol I was just thinking the same thing... but to be fair, he was probably talking about it from an English perspective.

Italia 90 .... forget Gazza crying ......

"Giannini.... Schillaci ..... now Baggio .... Giannini has made the forward run .... but still here's Baggio .... oh yes ........ oh yes........ oh yes....... OH YES! .... WHAT A GOAL BY BAGGIO!"

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2009, 12:00:30 am »

I think they are. It doesn't matter how well they do, really, for Irish people, but it's nice to see the Premier League's best Englanders on show. If you're a Liverpool fan, that's the league you're stuck with and it's English so that's that. Besides, they'll have Gerrard, Johnson, Crouchigol (yes, I like it when he scores for England) and so on.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2009, 12:06:15 am »

Savićević
Mijatović
Stojković
Mihajlović
Milošević
Stanković
Kovačević

BRILLIANT!

Not forgetting Evicević.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2009, 12:09:09 am »
I think they are. It doesn't matter how well they do, really, for Irish people, but it's nice to see the Premier League's best Englanders on show. If you're a Liverpool fan, that's the league you're stuck with and it's English so that's that. Besides, they'll have Gerrard, Johnson, Crouchigol (yes, I like it when he scores for England) and so on.

But for quality and overall excitemant in a World Cup.....No

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2009, 12:10:05 am »
Not forgetting Evicević.

Who is that?

Offline smithy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2009, 12:10:43 am »
Was in Paris for a few weeks during France 98. Great buzz about the place. Was fairly young though so didnt get to any of the games.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 12:11:35 am »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2009, 12:13:33 am »
All about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmI0spIVsw4

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iBDFPYMi00

Top world cup, and these two songs bring it right back!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:11 am »

No.

I am merely implying that of all the good world cups I have ever seen, England actually qualified for them.

Having said that, they have participated (usually as the victims) in some wonderfuly poignant world cup moments that don't necessarily mean they are a great side/nation/people.....Keegan & Brookings 'Batman & Robin' introduction as subs in Spain 82...... Maradona 'hand of god' 86... Platt's dramatic late winner v Belgium, Gazza and his form, antics etc in Italia 90.....'Owens goal and the game in general v Argentina in 98.....The Beckham penalty moment v Argentina in Sapporo 2002 and Rooney v Ronaldo at Germany 06 are defining moments of MY world cup memories so apologies if that upsets you...... are you a sensitive person?

Of course, the Irish light up every tournament they enter whether they qualify or not   ::)
If Kenny Dalglish cannot influence the team to play with more pride in their shirts for the millions of fans they represent, then what chance does anyone else have?

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2009, 12:20:15 am »
I love watching the English in the World Cup..... it's a brilliant thing.

1. The pre-tournament hype
2. Pre-tournament injury to a star player - media circus that ensues
3. England progress from group stage
4. The exit
5. The media bloodbath that follows

:D :D :D

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2009, 12:21:09 am »
I love watching the English in the World Cup..... it's a brilliant thing.

1. The pre-tournament hype
2. Pre-tournament injury to a star player - media circus that ensues
3. England progress from group stage
4. The exit
5. The media bloodbath that follows

:D :D :D

It's a beautiful thing.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2009, 12:26:02 am »
I wouldnt really describe Rooney/Ronaldo as a poignant moment.

In fact, I think Rooney came out of the media appearing to be more innocent than he actually was. No matter what Ronaldo did, Rooney made it very difficult for Carvalho to potentially father any future children.

France 98 was amazing.

Even if I did miss the final.

And this song always brings it to mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sohy-MJa6S0
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2009, 12:33:10 am »
In fact, I think Rooney came out of the media appearing to be more innocent than he actually was.

Yeah that was quite amusing to see the English media make Ronaldo the scapegoat, despite the fact Rooney quite clearly stamped on Carvalho's nuts.

That ... plus the fact England couldn't beat Portugal who were missing 2 key players in Deco and Costinha  :D

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2009, 12:35:17 am »
I wouldnt really describe Rooney/Ronaldo as a poignant moment.

Ok Ok maybe that was my abiding memory of that particular world cup. How about Carragher slamming a penalty into the top corner, not really celebrating it, and then being told to take it again as the ref hadn't blown?

I bet KERRYKOP was wanking himself silly when that happened   ;)

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2009, 12:37:48 am »
Meh.

The best team of the tournament had gone out the day before so I wasnt that bothered.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2009, 12:39:30 am »
Meh.

The best team of the tournament had gone out the day before so I wasnt that bothered.

No, silly girl, the best team won the tournament

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2009, 12:45:52 am »
No, a team happened to get a little lucky in their draws while all the good, watchable teams who actually put in an effort ended up playing each other.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2009, 01:04:10 am »

Sure, real sorry about that  ::)

Fuck me, its like you have to be ashamed to be born in England on here sometimes!

Oh hang on I'm sorry, I'm not English, I am Scouse....  :wave

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2009, 01:10:22 am »

Savićević
Mijatović
Stojković
Mihajlović
Milošević
Stanković
Kovačević

BRILLIANT!

Yeah one of the Bulgaria games we looked at the starting XI and my sister said, right see if you can find a player whose name doesn't end in V. ;D

YNWA Rafa.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2009, 11:30:01 am »
If I remember rightly, a record 22 red cards were handed out during the weeks in France much because referees had stricter guidelines to follow when booking players. Rigobert Song became the first man in history to be sent off twice as he also got sent off once in the 94 World Cup.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2009, 11:33:12 am »
If I remember rightly, a record 22 red cards were handed out during the weeks in France much because referees had stricter guidelines to follow when booking players. Rigobert Song became the first man in history to be sent off twice as he also got sent off once in the 94 World Cup.

Then we duly signed him up. That's intersting though i didnt know that.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2009, 11:36:52 am »
98 was also the year of the first World Cup Golden Goal, scored by Blanc against Paraguay in the second round.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2009, 04:37:03 pm »
Yeah one of the Bulgaria games we looked at the starting XI and my sister said, right see if you can find a player whose name doesn't end in V. ;D

That must of been easy. None of them ;D

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2009, 04:45:04 pm »
I liked Bulgaria for that World Cup, too. Great names like Balakov (who we totally should have bought), Stoitchkov and best of all, the man, the head, the beard....Trifon Ivanov.