Author Topic: New/Current Banknotes  (Read 649 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New/Current Banknotes
« on: September 27, 2022, 04:38:30 pm »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-26/king-charles-iii-will-be-on-banknotes-by-mid-2024-boe-says#xj4y7vzkg

Central bank will reveal monarch’s portrait by end of the year. Notes featuring Queen Elizabeth II will still be legal tender.

Banknotes featuring a portrait of King Charles III are expected to enter circulation by the middle of 2024, the Bank of England said Tuesday.

The central bank will reveal the image of the new monarch to be used on the polymers by the end of the year, it said in a statement. No additional changes to the £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes will be made.

Queen Elizabeth II, who died earlier this month after a 70-year reign, has been on UK notes since 1960. Current polymer notes featuring her image will continue to be legal tender and will “only be removed from circulation once they become worn or damaged,” the BOE said.

The announcement comes days before the UK’s last paper notes cease to be legal tender on Sept. 30. The BOE said last week there were £11 billion of those left in circulation.

The current series of new polymers also feature portraits of Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, JMW Turner, and Alan Turing.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New/Current Banknotes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 07:30:13 pm »
Probably use up the current supply to buy a loaf of bread by then

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 07:32:19 pm »
No Queen or King on any of our bank notes in here. Saves on admin.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 08:58:10 pm »
Just to show my age here, it doesn't seem that long ago the 5p coin circulating still had a picture of the old king on it. Will probably be 30 years now though.

The post box across the road from me still has GR on it, so I guess they won't be in a rush to carry out wholesale changes anytime soon.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 09:13:10 pm »
Just to show my age here, it doesn't seem that long ago the 5p coin circulating still had a picture of the old king on it. Will probably be 30 years now though.

The post box across the road from me still has GR on it, so I guess they won't be in a rush to carry out wholesale changes anytime soon.

Yeah, the new 5p and 10p came in around the early 90s. The old ones were the same size as the old one and two shilling, to help people adjust to decimalisation better. When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual to get a 1948 George VI coin in my bus fare. One day, one of my brothers even came home with a 1933 George V. Before the changeover, it was typical for coins a hundred years old to still be kicking around if they were in good nick.

I heard somewhere that the Queen's head on a coin won't become especially rare until the kids born today are adults; so a good 18-20 years, by which time William will likely be on the throne.

PS: There's a GR nearby to me, and I know of at least one VR box that's only a bus ride from me over in Cressington, on the way down to Otterspool Promenade.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 11:06:31 pm »
Yeah, the new 5p and 10p came in around the early 90s. The old ones were the same size as the old one and two shilling, to help people adjust to decimalisation better. When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual to get a 1948 George VI coin in my bus fare. One day, one of my brothers even came home with a 1933 George V. Before the changeover, it was typical for coins a hundred years old to still be kicking around if they were in good nick.

I heard somewhere that the Queen's head on a coin won't become especially rare until the kids born today are adults; so a good 18-20 years, by which time William will likely be on the throne.

PS: There's a GR nearby to me, and I know of at least one VR box that's only a bus ride from me over in Cressington, on the way down to Otterspool Promenade.

Well Cressington station is 150 years old so no surprise there.