Author Topic: Liverpool 1 - 1 Sunderland, (Suarez, Larsson) - Post Match  (Read 147887 times)

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
Re: Liverpool 1 - 1 Sunderland, (Suarez, Larsson) - Post Match
« Reply #880 on: August 13, 2011, 05:38:55 pm »
I was really looking forward to the return of the footie but after reading this thread I am feeling suicidal -

note to self - stay out of post match threads unless we win about 10.0 and still even then loads of you would find something to criticise and moan about
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #881 on: August 13, 2011, 05:39:07 pm »
The worrying fact is that Sunderland were shocking, a back four of United Rejects and nothing in front of that should concern us in the slightest. They will get a few beatings this season for sure.
We were good first half, plenty of movement and crisp passing. Downing in particular had a very good half. Second half we could not string a pass and our right side was exposed, we dropped deeper and we returned to our long ball tactics.

It is completely wrong to blame any individuals but today Kenny will have to take some of the blame. Flanno clearly struggled and nothing was done to ease the pressure on him or the temptation to launch the ball to Carroll.

Suarez is vital for us, when he drifted out of the game it was no coincidence that we struggled, it highlights further the importance of signing someone in the similar mould, some flair, pace and creativity in that last 20 mins would have seen us create far more than we did.

Offline mat106

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: August 13, 2011, 05:39:28 pm »
Because we are Liverpool mate. Would be the third season straight without Champions League. And we will have the risk of losing Suarez and Reina.

Also, we spent a lot of money. Not finishing in the top 4 would be controversial at least.

Totally agree! This is the season for us! Anything less than 4th will be disappointing and lead to losing Suarez and Reina!

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: August 13, 2011, 05:40:05 pm »
Not really the point though is it? This result if anything will be all the more frustrating if we do beat Arsenal

I'm trying my best to be positive, let me be :(

(I do agree with you, mind).

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #884 on: August 13, 2011, 05:40:16 pm »
Gave so much possession away with short or wayward passes in the second half. Forcing it while running out of gas? Maybe. Lacking the organisation and clarity of thought to keep it simple? Definitely. The distances our midfield players were trying to pass the ball over grew bigger and bigger. More mistakes occurred because our shape went to all buggery.

Spot on.

Defence too deep (while Gyan was on particularly) which stretched the distance between defence/midfield/forwards. 

We did run out of gas towards the end but there's a long way too go & plenty of encouraging signs. 

We will improve.  Lets not press the self destruct button just yet eh ?

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #885 on: August 13, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »
Never EVVERRR

think like that..

it's only going to loose concentration on the team..

This is not about united or any other team, it's about LFC mate!

Come on!!!

I could have mentioned any team that finished above us in the league last year.

I don't care about the mancs. All I was trying to convey was that A draw at the beginning of the season is not the end of the world. I am hoping that with playing time together this team will gel and get much much better.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #886 on: August 13, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »
In the name of Zeus's Beard close this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Rafaroy

• Main Stander
  • RED4EVER YNWA
« Reply #887 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:02 pm »
Take the refs poor descision away, we still lacked the killer punch in the last 30 minutes.

Offline TheGhost

• Legacy Fan
  • Yup!
« Reply #888 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:09 pm »
We missed Joe Cole ;)
when someone asks if you're a God, you say Yes!

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #889 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:10 pm »
I beggeth thy pardon, of course we can. If a Ref has a shocker then we are more than entitled to gripe and complain. We lose a game we lose ground on teams. A Ref has a shocker nothin' happens him.

You carry on then mate, wont make a diference, if Suarez scores its irrelevant. We shouldnt need rely on ref decisions to win us games.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #890 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:10 pm »
Totally agree! This is the season for us! Anything less than 4th will be disappointing and lead to losing Suarez and Reina!

Everyone panic! And use lots of exclamation marks!

I'm shouting!!!!!!
!!!!

Or not. 37 games to go.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #891 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:26 pm »

We have only played 1 game , premature at best to be debating 4th place and losing key players.

I suppose if we beat Arsenal we will be talking about winning the league again? Why is everything so black and white , all or nothing?

Offline lovestospooge

• Anny Roader
« Reply #892 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:27 pm »
disappointing result but hell of some encouraging signs. j don't give a fuck what any of the doom mongers say, we played some brilliant footy that first half. the atmosphere was cracking, the pundits were gushing over us and the guys played with smiles on their faces. unfortunately the team just isn't fully fit yet and we drew to a wonder goal. we're on the way up, today wasn't our day and there will be a few more days like this, this season like every season before it. we'll live from this and move on.

and seriously, bashing carroll on todays performance? he had a great goal disallowed, linked up pretty well on the floor with suarez and downing, won everything in the air. 

Offline Scribble8

• Bad WUM. Nu hĺllar sin käft, jävla wumjävel......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:36 pm »
I really don't understand why Kuyt was left out of the starting 11.

Tactically we looked a mess imo, no structure and no ideas of how to attack them. Hopefully it was just one very bad half and hopefully we'll see a more Liverpool like performance at Arsenal with restless running and a much sharper performance from our central midfielders.

I don't think Kenny have decided yet how to form his team, but it'll come soon.

Offline kred

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #894 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:43 pm »
Not joking at all.  Two men went up for the aerial ball, one man came down with it.  Brown was put off by Carroll's physical strength.  Anywhere else on the pitch, and no foul would have been called.

I just find in silly that so many on here will be disappointed with a striker's performance if he doesn't score.

There would be absolutely no Carroll bashing if that goal stood.

Carroll stuck his arm out and without instant replay it would easily look like a shove. 

Offline MKelly34

• Legacy Fan
  • Kelly's lover (not really)
« Reply #895 on: August 13, 2011, 05:42:07 pm »
The first half was brilliant though. Something went terribly wrong... we needed players that could control the game in the second half. I'll play the card again and will get banter, but Aquilani would've been perfect there.

I wish to understand why he wasn't on the bench. I think it's not the case of he wants to leave. And I doubt we had an offer for him too. Just my opinion.

Offline faisfais

• Kopite
« Reply #896 on: August 13, 2011, 05:42:12 pm »
Let's try to remember how many draws the mancs started with last season.

Hehe.. but you forget, with Blackburn, Sunderland, and Wigan in the league, Man United always start a season with a 18 point advantage over the competition. ;)

Offline reldinho7

• Kemlynite
« Reply #897 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:10 pm »
Not read through the thread so I'm probably repeating what has been said already. There are a few things that we saw in pre season that haven't been addressed yet. When we attack, our defence is too deep and our midfield, Lucas apart, is too advanced so you find us getting hit on the counter attack with ease. Sunderland had a counter attacking field day in the second half. 

I've also noticed an element of Hodgson style defending in that we defend with two banks of 4. For me, this approach is too rigid and allows the other team, if they are savvy enough, to play between the lines. We saw a lot of that against Galatasary and Valencia and a bit of it today. Our team is far too strecthed. Carroll is way up one end of the pitch and our defence rarely advances more than 10 yards away from our penalty area. I'm going to guess that is because of the lack of pace in central defence. And before anyone says Agger is pacy, he is not going to keep up with players like Sunderland had up front today. Its a problem we've needed to address for as long as I can remember. If we are going to play an 'attacking' player beside Lucas in midfield then we have to push further up the pitch so that when we lose possession, there is less space in front of our defence for the other team to build play. It leaves us open to balls over the top or into the channels but at least with have pace in full back positions.

Obviously its only the first game of the season but some of the things we saw today we also saw in pre season so it wasn't a one off. We have to decide how our midfield is going to play both defensively and attacking if we want to be successful this season

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:11 pm »
Just back from the match. First half we looked like premier league champions. Second half we looked a mid table team. We looked tired second half, if the ref had done his job and sent Richardson off we'd have won easily. Joke of a decision that and I knew we'd regret missed chances. Shame. Lucky not to lose in the end.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:12 pm »
Plan B is just to redirect all traffic to TLW ;)

;D
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »
I really don't understand why Kuyt was left out of the starting 11.

I think Kenny was taking the gamble that Henderson would have something to prove against his old club and would produce something special. As it turns out, the lad just seemed a bit cowed by the occasion. I think it was probably a gamble worth taking though.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Pacman.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #901 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »
Id rather draw today lower expectations and get a win (even a draw) at Arsenal, rather than winning today getting over hyped and losing down there next week.

You'd rather get 2 draws than a win and a draw?

You'd be a good manager.

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:37 pm »
Flannos mistake was a result of the entire team's poor play in the second half. Second half was nothing but a nightmare. Needs to be adressed asap

Posts like this fucking wind me up. Flanno's mistake was no one elses but his own, he lost his man at the back post, if he was tighter to him Larsson wouldn't of been able to hit that volley. It's as simple as that. The result isn't Flanno's fault, we should of been far more clinical than we were today & we paid for it. At 1-0 it was always on the cards that Sunderland could get back into it & they came out in the second half knowing that it was on & we did nothing to combat that.

Wrapping players in cotton wool because you don't want the big nasty boys to say mean things about them achieves nothing, he made a mistake, it'll be pointed out to him that he made a mistake & he'll learn from it. There's nothing wrong with saying a player made a mistake or didn't play well aslong as the criticism is constructive.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: August 13, 2011, 05:44:03 pm »
Just back from the match. First half we looked like premier league champions. Second half we looked a mid table team. We looked tired second half, if the ref had done his job and sent Richardson off we'd have won easily. Joke of a decision that and I knew we'd regret missed chances. Shame. Lucky not to lose in the end.

Agree with this really.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #905 on: August 13, 2011, 05:44:08 pm »
Personally I have my worries. If I'm genuinely honest I can't help wondering with every big signing what Rafa would have done with that cash. But I hope Dalglish has it right and I'm open minded about the signings.

this.

Offline Alonso

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: August 13, 2011, 05:44:21 pm »
some of the comments here are a fucken disgrace, 1st game of the season!  :butt

One more thing, Henderson? -_______________- im struggling to see why we spent the money we did. He didnt exactly set the world alight at Sunderland.

but oh well! lets bounce back!

Brilliant contradiction.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #907 on: August 13, 2011, 05:44:37 pm »
Sometimes you just gotta laugh.
This thread is embarrassing to say the very least.

SEE THE POSITIVES.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Juhanit

• Boys Pen
« Reply #908 on: August 13, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »
Kenny doesn´t wear suit?

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: August 13, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »
Flannagan before Kelly was the only surprise to me today and his mistake made him nervous for the rest of the game.

Opening 45 minutes was impressive yet we failed to make our possession pay.
2nd 45 was shocking and because of that I suppose 1-1 was a fair result.
Steve Bruce had a plan for the 2nd half and we didn't so we paid the price for it.
Was hoping to see an end to the hoofing but sadly it crept back in today and it is something that MUST be stopped ASAP.
Carragher mainly but he wasn't the only one.
We also defended too deep in the second half and I don't understand why.

Jose Enrique had a great debut and was certainly the best of the new boys and as fitness improves and Johnson & Gerrard return I'm sure things will get even better.

Not the best start at home but not the end of the world either, 37 games to go and 121 more points to play for.

We failed to win because we were poor as a team in the 2nd half, not because of Flannagan or Dowd.

Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #910 on: August 13, 2011, 05:45:47 pm »
Pffft, a poor showing in the second half - I don't think anyone performed as well as they had in the first half, we just seemed to lose our composure and our grip on the game.

Key players were tiring, the likes of Lucas and Suarez have had long seasons and summers without a propper break. Both of them dropped off their usual game in the second half and looked sluggish. As I say, two quality players who have played a ,lot of football in the last six months - both will be absolutely vital players over the course of the season and both get better and better.

Carra started the hoofing in the second half, which was a shame because he didn't do it much in the first half; often he looked for Lucas or Adam instead, which was great. But as I say, second half it was back to his old ways.

Flannagan had a very composed and assured first half, and a very nervous and slippery second, where he made a couple of glaring errors. No big deal really, he is a young lad and it' not as though he's our only right back, we have two up and coming youngsters and an experienced international in Glen Johnson - who whould be starting most games for us. Might knock his confidence a bit, but he will recover.

Enrique was excellent. Okay he gave the ball away a little cheaply once, maybe twice, but on the whole his passing was excellent, his work rate sound, strong in the tackle, making himself available and being very composed under pressure. Considering he's been here all of two days I think it was a cracking performance and he really looks a Liverpool player. Quality signing.

Adam was a little hit and miss for me. He had a good first half sitting deep dictating the tempo and direction of the play behind Lucas who was pressing high up the pitch and supporting the forwards and wingers more often than we have seen in the past. However in the second half when Lucas started to tire, Adams lack of mobility and movement became blatently obvious, and although his left foot is indeed very, very sweet - I'm not convinced he is anywhere near the level of Alonso/Pirlo and the likes, for knowing when and how to use it. For me he was too often looking to switch the play in the second half and not getting about enough or doing the simple things. He will be a good player for us - but he needs to cut down on the fags, booze and kebabs and remember a good 10 yard pass can be as telling as a 40 yard ball.

Downing was excellent. First half inparticular with his winding run and hitting the bar; getting at defenders, cutting inside them, playing the ball through the channel for Suarez and getting a couple of decent crosses in. Good stuff from Stewie. Certainly got a bit of pace and looked like one of our best and most consistent performers on the pitch today.

Henderson - as I said in the other thread he reminds me of Gerrard when he was 18/19. Like the rest of the team, he seemed very composed and sure footed in the first half, put in some good tackles, kept the passes sharp and simple, then in the second half while he was on, just looked off the pace and his touch deserted him a little - seemed to happen to everyone.

Suarez - quality in the first half, made Ferdinand shit himself. Won a pen, missed a pen, scored our goal. That's Luis Suarez. Shame fatigue set in in the second half as it did with Lucas and left his touch in the changing rooms.

Enjoyed it though - as frustrating as it seems now to not beat Sunderland, it's a long road ahead and we've revamed half our first team. Get our chins up and if we beat the Arsenal next week we'll be convinced we're gunna' win the league again, and all will be well!  ;D
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline flinner

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #911 on: August 13, 2011, 05:45:53 pm »
Kenny doesn´t wear suit?

wow holy good fuck
"We've created an environment where a complete moron can not only survive, but thrive."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #912 on: August 13, 2011, 05:45:53 pm »
Carroll stuck his arm out and without instant replay it would easily look like a shove. 

much as I love slating Dowd it was an obvious slight shove, with some refs he would have got away with it, but not this one!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: August 13, 2011, 05:45:57 pm »
Let's try to remember how many draws the mancs started with last season.

After today, we've now dropped the same number of home points as they did in all of last season.

DOOOOOM.

Seriously, don't understand why so many people have their boxers in a bunch. Disappointing, obviously, but there were plenty of positives today and we're 1 (ONE) game into a 38 game season.

Offline firedragon

• Kopite
« Reply #914 on: August 13, 2011, 05:46:07 pm »
We've lost the winning mentality we throw away leads against mid-table team countless times, ever since rafa's last season the rot has set in and we can't get rid of it.

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
« Reply #915 on: August 13, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »
Missed spearing in midfield!

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #916 on: August 13, 2011, 05:46:31 pm »

Forgetting the refs decision, like it or not, Suarez has to score, isnt it a positive how good we looked in the 1st half and something, when all our players get match fit, we can carry through to both halves of a match as opposed to just one.
I think it is. Its very encouraging.

Offline mutiman

• Main Stander
« Reply #917 on: August 13, 2011, 05:47:18 pm »
n terms of the depth of our defensive line he is, IMO, very literally holding us about 10-20 yards further back than we should be. Enrique wasn't given any license/opportunity to attack at all today which is really not the way it should be when trying to pressure a side like S'land into submission at home. Someone like Enrique could and should be a crucial weapon in this type of game, it's a crying shame to see him holding the line 10-20 yards inside our own half when a Liverpool attack has just broken down.
[/quote]
This. The defence with him in it will always too close to our box to compensate for his lack of pace. It leaves a big gap between the defence and the rest of the team. It also has the effect of tiring out the midfielders especially on the bigger pitches. He's been a great servant, but its quite obvious now that the team is carrying him.

Offline faithplusone01

• Anny Roader
  • Trequartista
« Reply #918 on: August 13, 2011, 05:47:34 pm »
To all those who are shouting doom and gloom:

NO TEAM IN THE FUCKING WORLD WOULD BE ABLE TO PUT 5 NEW SIGNINGS INTO A SIDE AND MANAGE TO BEAT EVERY TEAM IN SIGHT!!

Make no mistake, this is going to take some time. Its a long process to get everyone settled and playing together. I thought we did extremely well when you consider the fact that we started FOUR new players. One of which has hardly been able to train with the team. Henderson-Adam-Downing have had 2-3 preseason games plus this game to play together. No way they'll be the finished product yet.

And remember, Meireles is coming back from an injury, Gerrard is coming back from an injury soon, and the mystery of Aquilani. There is a LONG WAY TO GO.

So stop panicking!

If you want instant success, go be a City fan.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #919 on: August 13, 2011, 05:47:51 pm »
We've lost the winning mentality we throw away leads against mid-table team countless times, ever since rafa's last season the rot has set in and we can't get rid of it.

Shall we just sell the club to Cash Generators and be done with it ?
I reckon we should, Ive had enough of it mate.