Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 524873 times)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #2440 on: August 25, 2019, 11:48:52 am »
Matip still has 2 years left on his contract. Found this when he last spoke about it:

Jun 12, 2019

Speaking to Bild am Sonntag, he said when asked about a return to the Bundesliga: ”In football nothing is impossible. At the moment I still have two years remaining in my contract here at Liverpool.

"After some problems and injuries at the beginning meanwhile I feel very comfortable here. And I've been more mature as a player and as a person here in England."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1139326/Liverpool-Joel-Matip-future-Jurgen-Klopp-contract-extension

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2441 on: August 25, 2019, 04:10:08 pm »
Matip still has 2 years left on his contract. Found this when he last spoke about it:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1139326/Liverpool-Joel-Matip-future-Jurgen-Klopp-contract-extension

I thought it was up at the end of this season. Good to know.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #2442 on: August 25, 2019, 04:49:27 pm »
If you add all four up you get one Harry Maguire.

That is absolutely shocking now you mention it.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2443 on: August 25, 2019, 06:18:59 pm »
I thought it was up at the end of this season. Good to know.

Yeah. I hope its not a mistranslation because if he has 2 years then there's no real rush.  He will be offered much better terms because he is a consistent performer.  He has been excellent for us!

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2444 on: August 26, 2019, 12:03:33 am »
Really like his marauding runs upfield, unstoppable.
Great player

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2445 on: August 26, 2019, 12:57:53 pm »
Imperious performance!

Too bad VVD missed his goal, he didn't have a clue the ball was in.... ;D

I’m still giggling to myself about Big Virg complaining to the ref as the ball is in the back of the net and Matip is off celebrating.

Anyone got a link to footage of the goal please? Cheers.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2446 on: August 27, 2019, 10:56:53 am »
James Pearce today confirming his deal ends in the summer but is going to be offered new deal.

Weird how all the media go against what Matip says. I can only assume when Matip was talking it was because he had over a year left and just said 2 years? Surely not all the media are wrong?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2447 on: August 27, 2019, 11:02:32 am »
It's a bit shit *if* we've let him get to under a year left. Needs sorting quickly.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2448 on: August 27, 2019, 11:14:13 am »
It's a bit shit *if* we've let him get to under a year left. Needs sorting quickly.

I don't understand how no one really knows how much longer he has left. It's an odd situation.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2449 on: August 27, 2019, 11:15:47 am »

Why wasn't it sorted in the summer or last season? Milner said as well during pre-season he hadn't been offered anything yet either.

Given how well we've done to get most of the team on longer contracts, it's strange that Matip can sign for someone else in a few months, yet we've just tied Chamberlain down on a new deal when he had years left.

I hope it's not Emre Can all over again.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2450 on: August 27, 2019, 11:20:49 am »

Certainly is. We put out before the final that we were prioritising Matip and Milner's contract renewals.

As vital as Milner is as a person and a player in our squad, it's even more important we get Matip over the line as early as possible.

Matip is a prime example of why we don't want to be adding upheavel to our back line - excellent defenders can still take time to adapt to their top level.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2451 on: August 27, 2019, 12:09:37 pm »
Certainly is. We put out before the final that we were prioritising Matip and Milner's contract renewals.

As vital as Milner is as a person and a player in our squad, it's even more important we get Matip over the line as early as possible.

Matip is a prime example of why we don't want to be adding upheavel to our back line - excellent defenders can still take time to adapt to their top level.

Doesn't seem like we have. Chamberlain has now signed his new deal before they've even been offered one (going by Pearce's comment of Matip 'to be offered' a deal). Milner himself said he's heard nothing from the club recently.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2452 on: August 27, 2019, 01:22:40 pm »
Doesn't seem like we have. Chamberlain has now signed his new deal before they've even been offered one (going by Pearce's comment of Matip 'to be offered' a deal). Milner himself said he's heard nothing from the club recently.

I think the Chamberlain top up year was talked about at the end of last season, before Matip and Milner were discussed, to be fair.

Can see why the club and Milner will want to keep a longer watching brief about how his prospects of game time look and also playing to similar level again next year, and also for him to consider potential suitors who he can play a full season of games for next year. Plus he's on higher wages as he was a high profile free transfer.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2453 on: August 27, 2019, 01:31:11 pm »
James Pearce today confirming his deal ends in the summer but is going to be offered new deal.

Weird how all the media go against what Matip says. I can only assume when Matip was talking it was because he had over a year left and just said 2 years? Surely not all the media are wrong?

He's wrong.

He said 2 years in the summer when interview in Germany. Aside from that, this was just reported in the Echo by Paul Gorst

PG: Will Liverpool extend the contracts of Joel Matip, James Milner and Gini Wijnaldum soon?

Liverpool are in no rush to sort a new contract for Joel Matip, who has just under two years left on his current deal. However, the Reds will certainly look to extend his stay, you would imagine, given his form over the last six months.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2454 on: August 27, 2019, 01:38:21 pm »
I can kind of see why we’ve let Matip’s contract run this far. Until the turn of the year he had struggled with injuries that prevented him from having a good run to find form. He’d shown promise but maybe not enough to warrant a new contract. However, I thoroughly would expect him to be offered a new contract and for him to sign it. Top player, weird guy.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2455 on: August 27, 2019, 02:10:01 pm »
I can kind of see why we’ve let Matip’s contract run this far. Until the turn of the year he had struggled with injuries that prevented him from having a good run to find form. He’d shown promise but maybe not enough to warrant a new contract. However, I thoroughly would expect him to be offered a new contract and for him to sign it. Top player, weird guy.

Yeah the level headed guy in the team, who's uber rational and calm, who doesn't have a social media presence is a weird guy..

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2456 on: August 27, 2019, 02:49:15 pm »
Great goal off his 50p head :)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2457 on: August 27, 2019, 03:44:09 pm »
Just read an interview with him on the official.  I don't think we should be worried as he doesn't come across as someone who is looking for a move.. Why would he leave? He's worked hard to get into the team etc. I just dont see him wanting to leave.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2458 on: August 27, 2019, 03:49:28 pm »
The guy himself said 2 years left, so not sure why all the talk as if he has 1.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2459 on: August 28, 2019, 03:51:18 pm »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2460 on: August 28, 2019, 03:57:39 pm »

how is he weird??  He's about as down to earth and normal a guy as they come.  He's about as opposite to weird as you can get in football  :D

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2461 on: August 29, 2019, 11:51:41 am »
Always loved Joel Matip as a player ever since he joined. A bit similar Divock Origi in that he never got quite enough love. Integral member of the squad.

I also love having the African nations represented in our squad. Need a bit of Cameroon in there ;D
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2462 on: August 29, 2019, 06:47:01 pm »
Has been brilliant and most improved player in the team, just shows that competition with Gomez has worked wonders. Perfect foil with VVD..

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2463 on: August 30, 2019, 04:51:38 pm »
I also love having the African nations represented in our squad. Need a bit of Cameroon in there ;D

He is German though :)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2464 on: August 30, 2019, 05:26:16 pm »
He is German though :)

born and raised!

Funny thing is, he decided very early to opt for Cameroon, and I kinda wonder if he regrets it being as he doesn't want to play for them now, and hasn't for a good while. He was only 18 at the time, and was still a midfielder too, and maybe thought that was his best option.

As of right now, the way he's playing, I'd have him in the German national team in central defence ahead of all of 'em  ;D

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #2465 on: August 30, 2019, 05:28:57 pm »
So is he fluent is German and French? (And English?)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2466 on: August 30, 2019, 05:35:33 pm »
So is he fluent is German and French? (And English?)

He speaks all 3 languages.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2467 on: August 31, 2019, 07:47:41 pm »
Understated but he’s been really really good for a while.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2468 on: August 31, 2019, 11:35:38 pm »
Plays with a look on his face that is easy to like.  His first year at LFC I thought he was a bit bambi on ice but he's really struck a happy medium between what I feel his persona (nice guy, team player first last and everything in between) with the steel that's settled into this squad's DNA (the will to dominate, for lack of better phrase).  He's a joy to watch.  Huge yet graceful, keeps things simple, capable of a delicate touch or clever pass, not many forwards have gotten much out of him. 

Watching him and Fabinho do their skillful things while also being tall as fuck today thinking how funny Fellaini was for all those years
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2469 on: September 10, 2019, 12:07:32 pm »
Liverpool have taken up the option to extend defender Joel Matip's contract by a further year.

The Reds centre-back played a pivotal role in the clubs Champions League success last season and is set to be rewarded for his contribution.

Matip's current deal is due to expire at the end of the season, having committed to the club for four years on his arrival from Schalke in 2016.

The Athletic report that Matip will be offered the one-year extension and is also in line for a fresh deal in due course.

Liverpool made contract renewals their primary focus this season after opting against spending big in the summer transfer market.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-trigger-option-defenders-contract-19927442
Great news. Article also mentions Milner and Gini.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2470 on: September 10, 2019, 12:10:27 pm »
The Matrip contract talk is all a bit strange. He himself said he has 2 years left in the summer, yet journos seems insistent that his contract is up at the end of the season.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2471 on: September 10, 2019, 12:35:38 pm »
The Matrip contract talk is all a bit strange. He himself said he has 2 years left in the summer, yet journos seems insistent that his contract is up at the end of the season.

And both have kind of proved to be correct.. He has/had one year left on his contract, with an option for a further year. Matip obviously knew the year extension would be triggered, whilst the journo's were right in that the contract is up at the end of the season without it being triggered.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2472 on: September 10, 2019, 12:35:39 pm »

Maybe it was the built-in 1 year extension that caused the fuzziness.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2473 on: September 10, 2019, 12:40:50 pm »
And both have kind of proved to be correct.. He has/had one year left on his contract, with an option for a further year. Matip obviously knew the year extension would be triggered, whilst the journo's were right in that the contract is up at the end of the season without it being triggered.

Possibly, bit weird he’d say 2 years months ago though and the papers are saying he ‘will’ be offered the extra year.

Either way, at least he’s def not out of contract next summer.

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
« Reply #2474 on: September 10, 2019, 12:48:50 pm »
Possibly, bit weird he’d say 2 years months ago though and the papers are saying he ‘will’ be offered the extra year.

Either way, at least he’s def not out of contract next summer.

The Mirror has summarised James Pearce's Athletic article inaccurately. JP says it has already been triggered just like Joel. Direct quotation: "...it has emerged that Liverpool have triggered an option in the original agreement to extend it by an extra 12 months."
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2475 on: September 10, 2019, 12:51:25 pm »
The Mirror has summarised James Pearce's Athletic article inaccurately. JP says it has already been triggered just like Joel. Direct quotation: "...it has emerged that Liverpool have triggered an option in the original agreement to extend it by an extra 12 months."

Well that’ll explain it then. Some journos can’t even do the simple things right  ;D

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2476 on: September 10, 2019, 01:00:37 pm »
how is he weird??  He's about as down to earth and normal a guy as they come.  He's about as opposite to weird as you can get in football  :D
Sorry just saw this. I mean just some of the stuff he does on the pitch.

Offline devlin_adl

• Main Stander
« Reply #2477 on: September 10, 2019, 02:33:20 pm »
Wonder why he wasn't offered a new long-term deal, rather than just a contract extension?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2478 on: September 10, 2019, 02:34:55 pm »
Wonder why he wasn't offered a new long-term deal, rather than just a contract extension?

Article mentions he’s likely to be given a new longer deal. Imagine this was just to buy the club more time to secure that deal.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2479 on: September 10, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »
Well that’ll explain it then. Some journos can’t even do the simple things right  ;D

Echo clearing things up

Paul Gorst’s got an update on Joel Matip’s contract for us.

The Cameroonian signed a four-year deal with an option for a fifth with Liverpool back when joining Liverpool in 2016.

With no official word from the card, there was belief that Matip’s contract was due to expire next summer.

But the defender appeared to confirm back in June that the option had already been exercised.

“In football nothing is impossible,” said Matip. “At the moment I still have two years remaining in my contract here at Liverpool.”