Author Topic: Restaurant injury - advice/input  (Read 567 times)

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
Restaurant injury - advice/input
« on: April 6, 2024, 09:58:29 pm »
Slightly random, but was keen to get input from others.

My wife & I had lunch at a well known chain restaurant today, as we were walking out, the barriers for the outside seating area were getting blown hard and one of the large metal bars comes loose and collides pretty hard with me and wife on the legs. She’s got minor bruise but the side of my knee took the brunt of it. It’s left a pretty big bruise and swelling, and I wasn’t able to really put weight on it or drive back. It’s now pretty sore and impacting my walking.

When I happened, i took the loose pole into the restaurant and the manager completed an incident form and said we’d be contacted. I advised the barriers weren’t secure and yet no one seemed bothered leaving it blowing out there. There was a small kid walking behind us with their mum, and it led hit them it certainly would have done serious damage.

I’m not really one for claiming for stuff, but mates telling me I should chase it up. Anyone had this happened before? If it was just a little bruise or something I wouldn’t be bothered, but as the days gone on it’s gotten worse.

Would anyone do anything more about this?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Restaurant injury - advice/input
« Reply #1 on: April 6, 2024, 10:35:10 pm »
Where’s there’s blame, there’s a claim.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 6, 2024, 10:36:20 pm »
I'd at least wait until they have had a chance to contact you like they said they would.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: April 6, 2024, 10:59:11 pm »

Exactly what I was going to say.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 6, 2024, 11:03:57 pm »
Claim against Storm Kathleen.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 6, 2024, 11:32:55 pm »

Sounds like a job for Jackie Chiles.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 6, 2024, 11:43:27 pm »

My wife & I had lunch at a well known chain restaurant today, as we were walking out, the barriers for the outside seating area were getting blown hard and one of the large metal bars comes loose and collides pretty hard with me and wife on the legs. She’s got minor bruise but the side of my knee took the brunt of it. It’s left a pretty big bruise and swelling, and I wasn’t able to really put weight on it or drive back. It’s now pretty sore and impacting my walking.

When I happened, i took the loose pole into the restaurant and the manager completed an incident form and said we’d be contacted. I advised the barriers weren’t secure and yet no one seemed bothered leaving it blowing out there. There was a small kid walking behind us with their mum, and it led hit them it certainly would have done serious damage.

I’m not really one for claiming for stuff, but mates telling me I should chase it up. Anyone had this happened before? If it was just a little bruise or something I wouldn’t be bothered, but as the days gone on it’s gotten worse.

It's a chain. Sue them.

I also take 10% for this advice.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 7, 2024, 09:51:10 am »

At a really basic level if you can show that the negligence of the restaurant has contributed to the injury sustained then there’s a potential claim - realistically if the damage is painful bruising but without any longer term or more discernible injuries (ie broken bones, bad strains etc) and/or it’s not going to prevent you from working then the actual damages you’d receive would be relatively minimal, if you do a Google search you’ll find what kind of damages that you can expect to receive depending on the injury. I would suggest getting to a doctor’s and getting a diagnosis as to exactly what it is so that you can present that (obviously depends how serious the diagnosis is as to whether it’s in your interests to do that).

That said, anecdotally I was once ejected from a gig and set upon by a large group of bouncers, the injuries were thankfully minor, it was bruising, a grazed knee from where the c*nts dragged me along the gravel and a black/bloodshot eye from being kneed in the face a few times, looked far worse than it was and the pain was negligible - it won’t surprise you that the bizzies (South Yorkshire’s finest) did absolutely fuck all about it and even told me that should I pursue it I might be prosecuted for being drunk and disorderly which is absolute bollocks hit anyway - the point is I pestered the firm who ran the security and eventually got their insurers details, I emailed the insurers directly and ended up getting a grand in compensation.

What I would suggest is pursuing it directly with the restaurant and then if that doesn’t yield a satisfactory result try to get hold of their insurers and see if they’ll just agree to a pay out to shut you up.

It’s also worth a conversation with one of the many firms that you’ll find on Google on this topic, even if you’ve no intention in using them they may well give you some cursory useful advice to start the process off.

It’s worth striking whilst the irons hot and asking for maintenance records for the barrier, CCTV footage etc before it inevitably gets ‘lost’, you can obviously ask for that in a nice way and say it’s ’for your own peace of mind’ or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2024, 09:54:16 am by Jm55 »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 7, 2024, 09:58:15 am »
I'd have pushed them to bring the barriers in, but couldn't be arsed suing them. We're getting too much like America as it is.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 7, 2024, 10:20:49 am »
realistically if the damage is painful bruising but without any longer term or more discernible injuries (ie broken bones, bad strains etc) and/or it’s not going to prevent you from working then the actual damages you’d receive would be relatively minimal,

Try chucking yourself down the stairs and say your wife is suffering from PTSD.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #10 on: April 7, 2024, 10:23:05 am »
Was also going to say, that if you do want to pursue a claim, you really need to see a doctor asap.  You need medical evidence of your injury.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 7, 2024, 11:08:54 am »
At a really basic level if you can show that the negligence of the restaurant has contributed to the injury sustained then there’s a potential claim - realistically if the damage is painful bruising but without any longer term or more discernible injuries (ie broken bones, bad strains etc) and/or it’s not going to prevent you from working then the actual damages you’d receive would be relatively minimal, if you do a Google search you’ll find what kind of damages that you can expect to receive depending on the injury. I would suggest getting to a doctor’s and getting a diagnosis as to exactly what it is so that you can present that (obviously depends how serious the diagnosis is as to whether it’s in your interests to do that).

That said, anecdotally I was once ejected from a gig and set upon by a large group of bouncers, the injuries were thankfully minor, it was bruising, a grazed knee from where the c*nts dragged me along the gravel and a black/bloodshot eye from being kneed in the face a few times, looked far worse than it was and the pain was negligible - it won’t surprise you that the bizzies (South Yorkshire’s finest) did absolutely fuck all about it and even told me that should I pursue it I might be prosecuted for being drunk and disorderly which is absolute bollocks hit anyway - the point is I pestered the firm who ran the security and eventually got their insurers details, I emailed the insurers directly and ended up getting a grand in compensation.

What I would suggest is pursuing it directly with the restaurant and then if that doesn’t yield a satisfactory result try to get hold of their insurers and see if they’ll just agree to a pay out to shut you up.

It’s also worth a conversation with one of the many firms that you’ll find on Google on this topic, even if you’ve no intention in using them they may well give you some cursory useful advice to start the process off.

It’s worth striking whilst the irons hot and asking for maintenance records for the barrier, CCTV footage etc before it inevitably gets ‘lost’, you can obviously ask for that in a nice way and say it’s ’for your own peace of mind’ or whatever.
Should have spent the compo on Boxing lessons . . . . . and a decent pair of running shoes.   :)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #12 on: April 7, 2024, 11:25:08 am »
I was in the Cali last year when it was windy. I goes outside for a smoke but couldnt light it because of the wind so lit it inside the doorway. When I was about to walk back out the sign oitside the pub blew off and landed exactly were I was standing about ten seconds earlier. I don't think I would've been around to put in a claim though.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 7, 2024, 11:43:05 am »
Should have spent the compo on Boxing lessons . . . . . and a decent pair of running shoes.   :)

There was about 6 of them so the running shoes would have probably been more appropriate than the boxing lessons!

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 7, 2024, 12:20:38 pm »
Last Christmas I was using the wheelchair ramp in a resteraunt, the lift had no lighting and I fell on my face (no injuries)

It caused a commotion and the manager was very apologetic.

He called me on the way home and I thought, here comes my free meal (its expensive in there)  but he was just checking I was ok   :(

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 7, 2024, 12:22:53 pm »
First off I would see a doctor    Find out what damage is to the knee

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 7, 2024, 12:30:17 pm »
I'd have pushed them to bring the barriers in, but couldn't be arsed suing them. We're getting too much like America as it is.

Would just be a claim on their insurance.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 7, 2024, 12:32:02 pm »
Would just be a claim on their insurance.

Which then pushes everyones insurance up, which then means everyone complains about insurance being expensive and the restaurant putting their prices up to cover the addition hike in insurance premiums ;)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 7, 2024, 12:33:41 pm »
Not his fault.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #19 on: April 7, 2024, 10:17:27 pm »
Thank you to all for the comments etc. I’ll await the call from them this week to see what they say. Going to check in the doctors tomorrow as the knee is still pretty sore and restricting movement, so just want to make sure I’m not going to bugger it up by playing golf etc.

At this point not exactly bothered by any monetary amount, more the fact they’d recognise the risky of not security big pieces of metal in a strong wind. The food was good, so many a years worth of entrees would work ;)

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 9, 2024, 05:09:57 pm »
Last Christmas I was using the wheelchair ramp in a resteraunt, the lift had no lighting and I fell on my face (no injuries)

Great example of a shit attempt at changing the lyrics of a classic hit.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 9, 2024, 05:20:33 pm »

;D 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 9, 2024, 06:10:38 pm »
This year, to save me from tears, I'll stick to well-lit eateries

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: April 9, 2024, 06:22:06 pm »
This year, to save me from tears, I'll stick to well-lit eateries

This year, instead of a gift, I’m sticking to Schindler’s lifts

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 9, 2024, 09:25:53 pm »

;D