Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 596471 times)

Offline WoodenHanger

• Ursine Wanger.
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #3960 on: November 17, 2022, 07:04:40 pm »
Luckiest lad in the world.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3961 on: November 17, 2022, 07:14:35 pm »
He has talent nobody doubts that.
For me it’s just frustrating because he can be a lot better.
I guess if he doesn’t kick on second half the season we will look to move him on in the summer.

Not likely,if that was one of the options then we wouldn't have given him an extension.

Luckiest lad in the world.

Certainly one of them,he living every Liverpool fans dream.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3962 on: November 17, 2022, 07:15:12 pm »
He could have established himself as Gini's replacement but he's been mostly injured for a season and a half whenever the opportunities present themselves.

Let's hope we haven't got anther Ox/Keita stuck on a long term contract while always injured. He's really missed a great opportunity to establish himself over the last couple of seasons. Maybe after Christmas if he can stay fit.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3963 on: November 17, 2022, 07:17:05 pm »

Dickheads are unable to see his talent.

Or his age.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3964 on: November 17, 2022, 07:58:17 pm »
He could have established himself as Gini's replacement but he's been mostly injured for a season and a half whenever the opportunities present themselves.

Let's hope we haven't got anther Ox/Keita stuck on a long term contract while always injured. He's really missed a great opportunity to establish himself over the last couple of seasons. Maybe after Christmas if he can stay fit.

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3965 on: November 17, 2022, 08:01:04 pm »
The details of the contract is not there on the official announcement. What is the duration and terms for this extension?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3966 on: November 17, 2022, 08:37:51 pm »
I guess if he doesn’t kick on second half the season we will look to move him on in the summer.

Imagine seeing we're giving a new contract to a player with 2 1/2 years still to run on their current deal and drawing that conclusion.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #3967 on: November 17, 2022, 09:14:27 pm »
Imagine seeing we're giving a new contract to a player with 2 1/2 years still to run on their current deal and drawing that conclusion.
Mate I’d love him to do well, but if a club met a valuation and the club felt was right then you’d be mad thinking they wouldn’t sell.

Offering him a contract was a win/win, he obviously has the talent. He also has his flaws but he’s still young. If worst comes to worst, the contract protect his transfer value

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #3968 on: November 17, 2022, 09:27:10 pm »
Good move by the club, protects his value.

Hasn't been any good for about 2 full years now. Looked really bright during that first half of the lockdown season, but hasn't kicked on - in fact he looks a lesser player.

Player development isn't linear, though.
The change is cast

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3969 on: November 17, 2022, 09:41:59 pm »
Mate I’d love him to do well, but if a club met a valuation and the club felt was right then you’d be mad thinking they wouldn’t sell.

Offering him a contract was a win/win, he obviously has the talent. He also has his flaws but he’s still young. If worst comes to worst, the contract protect his transfer value

Win win,he had 2.5yrs left ffs  ;D

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #3970 on: November 17, 2022, 10:08:55 pm »
Win win,he had 2.5yrs left ffs  ;D
If that’s the case then I’m shocked.
He hasn’t kicked on like we all thought he would so don’t know what else to say.

All I personally hope is he sorts the basics out like not holding onto the ball to long. There’s a decent player there and nothing better than a scouser living the dream.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3971 on: November 17, 2022, 10:23:30 pm »
You would know more if you bothered to read replies to your posts Jay.

He hasn’t kicked on like we all thought he would so don’t know what else to say.

All I personally hope is he sorts the basics out like not holding onto the ball to long. There’s a decent player there and nothing better than a scouser living the dream.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #3972 on: November 17, 2022, 10:26:47 pm »
You would know more if you bothered to read replies to your posts Jay.
Probably mate but not really much of a big deal is it.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3973 on: November 17, 2022, 10:30:07 pm »
:lmao

Don't hold your breath mate. I suspect your armchair manager conclusions will be frustrated.

We'll thankyou not to speak for us. Not everyone has your jaundiced view of things
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #3974 on: November 17, 2022, 10:36:59 pm »

Don't hold your breath mate. I suspect your armchair manager conclusions will be frustrated.
We'll thankyou not to speak for us. Not everyone has your jaundiced view of things
Armchair ahaha sound lad. Just letting you know you can go the game and have ye thoughts.
I’m just not deluded or even slagging him off for that matter.
I like him just think he can be a lot better and I’ve heard plenty at the game say worse  :-X

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3975 on: November 17, 2022, 10:38:40 pm »
Armchair ahaha sound lad.
Ok flippy red seat manager ;)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #3976 on: November 17, 2022, 10:45:05 pm »
Ok flippy red seat manager ;)

I’ll give ye that one ;D
But my original point whatever way it came out is that he’s not a bad player but ‘I’ think and id assume others think that he can be better than he is.
Also if let’s say we don’t get new investment, would our recruitment team knock back an offer of £25-£30m for him.

I want him to succeed here, especially being a scouser.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3977 on: November 17, 2022, 10:47:28 pm »
Imagine he was still a 21 year old learning about the game and trying to find some rhythm in a side who plays an incredibly difficult system. Surely he would get a lot more patience if this was the case

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #3978 on: November 17, 2022, 10:55:04 pm »
Imagine he was still a 21 year old learning about the game and trying to find some rhythm in a side who plays an incredibly difficult system. Surely he would get a lot more patience if this was the case
He probably would and it doesn’t help him being compared to others.
End of the day you’ll have people looking at it from different perspectives.

One point I’ll say is, he wouldn’t get the shite he has got (reaction on Twitter to his contract) if we were constantly finishing 6th/7th. Instead he’s in a squad which is struggling for rhythm with expectations to compete for everything.

This season he’s been injured for the majority and was rushed back for the last few. Personally I think he was good against Napoli and had some energy which we have missed this season. At the same time, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for others to have there opinion if they don’t think he’s pushed on since he broke through in the 19/20 season.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3979 on: November 17, 2022, 10:57:33 pm »
He probably would

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #3980 on: November 18, 2022, 01:09:54 am »

Why would we give him a new deal if that was our thinking? He was already contracted for 3 more years and he'd have been easier to sell without a wage increase.

We're obviously taking a long term approach with him. There's a player in there, we just need to see it more consistently. A good run injury free would help.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3981 on: November 18, 2022, 01:13:29 am »
Great news, he's definitely a player we've missed for a while, just need to get him back in rhythm and he'll add to the side.

Just don't get the negativity, he's 21 and had a couple of injuries thats stunted his progress a bit.

The contracts team can't win, if we renew them too early they get hammered, if we let it go till the last 18months they get slammed as well.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #3982 on: November 18, 2022, 02:38:21 am »
Great news, he's definitely a player we've missed for a while, just need to get him back in rhythm and he'll add to the side.

Just don't get the negativity, he's 21 and had a couple of injuries thats stunted his progress a bit.

The contracts team can't win, if we renew them too early they get hammered, if we let it go till the last 18months they get slammed as well.
Curtis and Keita, those are two players that I wish to see the more this season and desperately wants to see them more involved in the second half of the season.

Of course we are all selfish, I even wanted both of them to be box-to-box midfielder, good all-round abilities and perfectly skilled at both defending and attacking.

But after the frequent injury rates, they are what they are but logically we'd put our hope more on Curtis as he is 21 compared to expected already-peaked Keita, 27.

Age is playing a huge role here, in terms of prospects and financially.

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3983 on: November 18, 2022, 07:56:58 am »
Let's be honest, if he wasn't homegrown he wouldn't have even got a chance in the team. That performance against Porto gives me hope that there might be a player in there somewhere. If he doesn't improve in the next year we should be looking to moving him on though, if we have an ounce of ambition about us.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3984 on: November 18, 2022, 08:02:50 am »
I don’t think there’s any harm in extending his contract. He’s had a stop/start couple of years but when he’s had a good run in the team he’s shown what he can bring. I actually think he might be a bit underrated on here, he’s had many decent games particularly during COVID season. He may not end up being a starter for us, but a decent squad player. Klopp clearly likes him, and if he doesn’t make the cut he’s still young and presumably on ‘low’ wages. We’d be able to sell him for a decent amount.

I’m still hopeful he can be a useful player for us.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:04:26 am by Clint Eastwood »

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3985 on: November 18, 2022, 08:13:19 am »
Let's be honest, if he wasn't homegrown he wouldn't have even got a chance in the team.
This is a load of rubbish, there's way more home grown players that Klopp doesn't use and doesn't trust.  Klopp isn't going to give 1000s of minutes to a player just because they're from the acadmey.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #3986 on: November 18, 2022, 08:23:08 am »
Is 21 the new 31 now?  Get rid, he's already slowing down and in decline.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3987 on: November 18, 2022, 08:36:29 am »
Let's be honest, if he wasn't homegrown he wouldn't have even got a chance in the team. That performance against Porto gives me hope that there might be a player in there somewhere. If he doesn't improve in the next year we should be looking to moving him on though, if we have an ounce of ambition about us.

:D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3988 on: November 18, 2022, 08:54:18 am »
I think if a player has injuries in his late teens then just move him on. Imagine if we had done the same with that Gerrard kid. Whatever happened to him.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #3989 on: November 18, 2022, 09:19:56 am »
I think you have to view this in the context of the wider squad. Likely in the next 2-3 years we'll be seeing the back of Milner, Keita, Henderson and Chamberlain at least. Thiago probably not long after.  The much-discussed 'midfield rebuild' still needs squad players, which is where Jones is right now.  Homegrown, experienced in the system, with a capability to improve, signing him up long term while we construct the next generation, which he'll more than likely be a part of, in midfield seems to make a lot of sense.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3990 on: November 18, 2022, 09:27:26 am »
There's no way we should be even entertaining the notion of selling him. That's absurd (sorry for how strong this is Ghost Town, perhaps on this one you might allow it  ;D ). When he plays its very clear that he's got a skillset which is super, super important. Namely the ability to hold the ball when pressed and beat the press. That is huge. He's also a bit of a dribbly boy in and around the box, which is also important against packed defences. Of course there are question marks over press effectiveness, defensive contributions and ability to hold onto the ball, but then he's has a stop start 2 years and so must be behind in his development.

It is the injuries that worry me. He just seems to pick up niggles all the time and silly things turn into longer things. Hopefully he comes through this period and gets a lot more durable but if his last 2 years are indicative of his career he'll never fulfil his potential sadly.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3991 on: November 18, 2022, 09:30:47 am »
I think you have to view this in the context of the wider squad. Likely in the next 2-3 years we'll be seeing the back of Milner, Keita, Henderson and Chamberlain at least. Thiago probably not long after.  The much-discussed 'midfield rebuild' still needs squad players, which is where Jones is right now.  Homegrown, experienced in the system, with a capability to improve, signing him up long term while we construct the next generation, which he'll more than likely be a part of, in midfield seems to make a lot of sense.

Jones has a great chance to establish himself as a first team regular but now has to stay fit, we've had enough injury prone midfielders on our books. To be fair the eye injury was freakish last season, so it's not like he's pulling muscles all the time or his knees are fucked.

The one this season has been really frustrating because he'd have been in the side every week if he was fit.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3992 on: November 18, 2022, 11:58:35 am »
I think Jones is a good player with plenty of potential, he's had to play out of position though because of how short of numbers we've been in midfield and had massive fitness issues himself.  Pleased he's signed a new deal personally, hope he kicks on.  Jones signing a new deal is hardly going to affect us financially.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3993 on: November 18, 2022, 12:37:09 pm »
:D

How do you respond to someone named pathetic that posts that??

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3994 on: November 18, 2022, 12:37:52 pm »
I think if a player has injuries in his late teens then just move him on. Imagine if we had done the same with that Gerrard kid. Whatever happened to him.

And that Owen and his twangy hamstrings.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3995 on: November 18, 2022, 02:52:30 pm »
There's no way we should be even entertaining the notion of selling him. That's absurd (sorry for how strong this is Ghost Town, perhaps on this one you might allow it  ;D ). When he plays its very clear that he's got a skillset which is super, super important. Namely the ability to hold the ball when pressed and beat the press. That is huge. He's also a bit of a dribbly boy in and around the box, which is also important against packed defences. Of course there are question marks over press effectiveness, defensive contributions and ability to hold onto the ball, but then he's has a stop start 2 years and so must be behind in his development.

8)

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3996 on: November 18, 2022, 02:53:55 pm »
Decent squad player and can do well in games against the lesser sides. Fills up the homegrown requirements and I guess that's why we've extended his contract.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #3997 on: November 18, 2022, 05:28:19 pm »
A lot of the opinion on Curtis is quite similar to early opinions on Coutinho here. Loads of talent, terribly inconsistent at times but young and plenty of potential.
Curtis has fewer highlight moments maybe, but thats because of his role and position. For me, I think the new contract is deserved. The lad's 21 and has shown he is improving. Still plenty to work on, but surely worth keeping a young talent in the squad when we expect to lose half the current group of midfielders by summer. We dont want to be adding 3-4 players in the same position in one window because it takes time to adapt to the individual and for the team.
I still feel Curtis will be a good player and useful for us and this deal makes all the sense to me.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #3998 on: November 18, 2022, 05:32:32 pm »
This is a load of rubbish, there's way more home grown players that Klopp doesn't use and doesn't trust.  Klopp isn't going to give 1000s of minutes to a player just because they're from the acadmey.

Yep... Plenty of lads who got a few chances but didnt manage to stick around. See Woodburn, Neco, Randall, Hoever, Brewster, etc.
All of these lads got chances but couldnt really break in for a variety of reasons. Only Trent, Kelleher, Curtis and now Harvey seem to have made the cut.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3999 on: November 18, 2022, 10:16:00 pm »
A lot of the opinion on Curtis is quite similar to early opinions on Coutinho here. Loads of talent, terribly inconsistent at times but young and plenty of potential.
Curtis has fewer highlight moments maybe, but thats because of his role and position. For me, I think the new contract is deserved. The lad's 21 and has shown he is improving. Still plenty to work on, but surely worth keeping a young talent in the squad when we expect to lose half the current group of midfielders by summer. We dont want to be adding 3-4 players in the same position in one window because it takes time to adapt to the individual and for the team.
I still feel Curtis will be a good player and useful for us and this deal makes all the sense to me.

I get it but talent-wise, Coutinho was on a different stratosphere. That does matter. I'm not too fussed about a 21 year old being awarded a contract. I think that's a by-the-by, but his performances on the pitch need to improve drastically IMO. I absolutely do not buy the piece around the "Gini role". Not when Klopp's fundamental ethos has been to make players play to their strengths.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.