Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 320580 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #2840 on: November 5, 2019, 02:39:01 pm »
I'll do a Survivor Series one, either run it or take part.

Tried a few months back but nobody was interested

What?!

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2841 on: November 5, 2019, 02:45:55 pm »
Didn't we do a Survivor Series draft last year? I'd be up for an 80's or 90's football draft or, going back to earlier ideas, a non-hit version of the mixtape draft or an all-time dinner party draft (fictional or non).

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2842 on: November 5, 2019, 03:20:25 pm »
;D

Is this more Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks Wrestling related or more The Undertaker and The Rock related.

It's open to all wrestlers from all eras.  Just pick a team of 5 and people vote on the best one.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2843 on: November 5, 2019, 03:53:04 pm »
You lot are rubbish.

I'll start a thread for a Survivor Series draft and for a 90s football snake draft. Whichever fills up first goes first.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2844 on: November 5, 2019, 03:53:55 pm »
It's open to all wrestlers from all eras.  Just pick a team of 5 and people vote on the best one.

Yeah but it's wrestling, it's for kids and thick people. Am I right RAWK?

We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2845 on: November 6, 2019, 06:44:36 pm »
a non-hit version of the mixtape draft or an all-time dinner party draft (fictional or non).

I like these, however, how do you define a "non-hit"?
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2846 on: November 6, 2019, 07:55:03 pm »
I like these, however, how do you define a "non-hit"?
Album track or non-charting single. Once someone picks something by one band it's gone. Happy to wait on this one as we have, what, three about to start right now?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2847 on: November 6, 2019, 08:03:37 pm »
Lets get something going for the International break and a break from the elections
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #2848 on: November 6, 2019, 09:49:42 pm »
Lets get something going for the International break and a break from the elections

There is a 90s football draft sign up thread if you want in
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2849 on: November 6, 2019, 10:22:04 pm »
There is a 90s football draft sign up thread if you want in

Thanks mikey. in
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2850 on: November 14, 2019, 08:50:09 pm »
I've had the idea of making a draft coinciding with the ten-year anniversary of legendary game Football Manager 2010 (the FM that introduced 3D but retained simple menus) for an actual simulation of everyone's picks! My preferred destination would be the Scottish Premier League for three reasons - no bickering about who gets to be Liverpool, no issues with drafting players from other EPL clubs, as well as teams playing one another a LOT.

The idea would be including a simulation, likely of seven or eight seasons to ensure the best balance between those picking older and younger squads. Each player selected would sign a 10-year contract worth £3,000/week, which was the market rate in Scotland at the time, and with a clause that insisted they'll end their careers at that club, to ensure the manager in the game wouldn't be able to sell the player even if he went unhappy with his plight at playing for St. Mirren or Hamilton Academial at the peak of his career  ;D Trust me, I'm the FM10 Editor expert. I'll fix it.

Just like a typical draft, the participating member has eleven picks. Free choice of any footballer in the world active in 2009.

The bottom team of the season before would have first dibs in each round to promote the league being closer. After all, Celtic and Rangers would retain their existing squads as bench players and have larger stadiums throughout, so them selecting last makes sense.

Draft order would be:

1. St. Johnstone
2. St. Mirren
3. Falkirk
4. Hamilton
5. Kilmarnock
6. Motherwell
7. Dundee Utd
8. Hibernian
9. Aberdeen
10. Hearts
11. Celtic
12. Rangers

I'd be open to three or four second-tier entries too if there was a greater interest, needless to say, those would draft at the very first. In fact, all the way down to Division Three would be possible would someone insist to follow in Just Fucking Robertson's footsteps to play as Queen's Park and find empty seats aesthetically appealing  ;)

When the 90's draft was finished I'd be prepared to go. I'd post seasonal reviews and photos (my gaming computer is hopeless at taking in-game screens) of the final tables. Needless to say, I'd not manage my own team!!!

Fun idea everyone? Actual competitive element with the simulation part and an opportunity to see whether Messi could do it on a cold night in Motherwell?  :wave
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:55:20 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2851 on: November 14, 2019, 09:06:41 pm »
I like the sound of that, more distraction at work :D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2852 on: November 14, 2019, 09:47:14 pm »
I like the sound of that, more distraction at work :D

Great, thinking about it, I'll let everyone draft their manager too  :D
Linudden.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2853 on: November 14, 2019, 10:26:27 pm »
Great, thinking about it, I'll let everyone draft their manager too  :D

So is it basically a 2010 draft?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2854 on: November 14, 2019, 10:34:08 pm »
So is it basically a 2010 draft?

Yeah. 2009-10 season. Except you have to consider players' ages and how long they have left in the game since the simulation will run until either 2016 or 2017. Hence, a starlet born in 1993 could potentially be a better pick than a superstar born in 1977. You'd have to consider how promising that youngster was in that case at the time though. For example, none of our five foreign stars born in the early 90's (Alisson, van Dijk, Salah, Mané and Firmino) were even part of the database, even though all were 17-18 at the time. Wijnaldum on the other hand, an early bloomer, was already a key player for Feyenoord.

Let's just say that Verratti, Alaba and Lukaku sometimes, in some careers, turned into world-class players though. Never a given, though, so it's not an easy pick. Depends on who their manager and coaches are. Having said that, some players that eventually turned top-class turned out like Sunday League players. The 17-year old Kalidou Koulibaly at Metz as well as 16-year old Oxlade-Chamberlain at Southampton come to mind. Best be aware of that rather than taking crazy chances in the picks.

Picking players between 18-20 who were established first-team players are safer moves.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:48:29 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2855 on: November 14, 2019, 10:42:57 pm »
Sounds interesting. We did something very similar using FM15 with us all drafting current squads of the time and each season (I think we did 5) simulated by a different manager. You can see more here -

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=321688.0

&

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=321882.0

It was great fun and a repeat with a different FM version could be very interesting. The only question mark I'd have is whether FM10 players (if there are any on here) might have a huge advantage in knowing the best players in that database. The thing about the above FM15 draft is that we could all access the same DB and make choices based on our experiences in game.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2856 on: November 14, 2019, 10:47:44 pm »
Sounds interesting. We did something very similar using FM15 with us all drafting current squads of the time and each season (I think we did 5) simulated by a different manager. You can see more here -

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=321688.0

&

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=321882.0

It was great fun and a repeat with a different FM version could be very interesting. The only question mark I'd have is whether FM10 players (if there are any on here) might have a huge advantage in knowing the best players in that database. The thing about the above FM15 draft is that we could all access the same DB and make choices based on our experiences in game.

Should we have a rule requiring all players picked to have played in the top flight of any given league that particular season? DQ's Verratti for example. Making it more obvious which ones could be picked. I know the database very well for sure, but it doesn't mean the database in itself was as wild as the earliest versions of CM/FM. My picks would all be established players for example. From my experience, there are really no non-regen gems that turn into world-class players.

Given the level of this draft ie best 132 players in the world - I don't think there are any shortcuts that people don't know about. It's not an under 21-draft after all :) If people find my game knowledge way too unfair, I can take a First Division-team too and start from down there.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:59:06 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #2857 on: November 14, 2019, 10:58:47 pm »
A few questions... Newbie to the Sim style and FM drafts as I do not play video games --- what does one have to do or know about the game to manage the squad or is it only drafting that counts?

DeFacto, are there any other questions for Linudden I might ask to know exactly what one has gotten themselves into?

Trend the future addict
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2858 on: November 14, 2019, 11:00:33 pm »
A few questions... Newbie to the Sim style and FM drafts as I do not play video games --- what does one have to do or know about the game to manage the squad or is it only drafting that counts?

DeFacto, are there any other questions for Linudden I might ask to know exactly what one has gotten themselves into?

Trend the future addict

Nothing. You just have to know which footballers were hot property during the season 2009-10  ;D Whoever picks the best XI, will win the most trophies.

You won't coach the team. The IRL manager you draft or the Scottish club's default manager at the time will. I can easily run these seven or eight seasons in one day using unemployed holiday mode in the game if I wanted to.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:04:09 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2859 on: November 14, 2019, 11:03:44 pm »
You won't coach the team. The IRL manager you draft or the Scottish club's default manager at the time will.

Dibs on Rafa  :D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2860 on: November 14, 2019, 11:04:11 pm »
Nothing. You just have to know which footballers were hot property during the season 2009-10  ;D

You won't coach the team. The IRL manager you draft or the Scottish club's default manager at the time will.

Sounds good.   Get in.   Hope I get Hearts of Midlothian
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2861 on: November 14, 2019, 11:05:23 pm »
Dibs on Rafa  :D

Herr Klopp is tricky to play against in that game with his diamond formation, just saying  :D He doesn't use wingers there though, paradoxically. No wing play whatsoever. Isn't it ironic, don't you think?
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2862 on: November 14, 2019, 11:07:21 pm »
Sounds good.   Get in.   Hope I get Hearts of Midlothian

You can dib them immediately if you want to and brace yourself for the #10 draft pick among SPL clubs, courtesy of finishing 3rd in the 2008-09 SPL season (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Scottish_Premier_League)

I'll set you up in the word file.

I dib Aberdeen due to my northerly latitude and their lovely red kits, unless people insist I'm booted from the SPL due to prior experience  ;D
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2863 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:07 pm »
Herr Klopp is tricky to play against in that game with his diamond formation, just saying  :D He doesn't use wingers there though, paradoxically. No wing play whatsoever. Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

You have to pick your managers too?   What about medics, nutritionists, and backroom/analytics staff :)

I dib I dibbity do.   
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2864 on: November 14, 2019, 11:09:01 pm »
You have to pick your managers too?   What about medics, nutritionists, and backroom/analytics staff :)

You don't need to. If you trust Jim Jefferies, the Hearts incumbent, to be your man, you're good  :champ
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2865 on: November 14, 2019, 11:15:55 pm »
You don't need to. If you trust Jim Jefferies, the Hearts incumbent, to be your man, you're good  :champ

Could I bring in Carlo Ancellotti or a big time manager from afar during this?  And how would it work if yes...
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2866 on: November 14, 2019, 11:17:34 pm »
Could I bring in Carlo Ancellotti or a big time manager from afar during this?  And how would it work if yes...

Yes you can. I just remove him from his Chelsea job in the editor, no questions asked, just like I'll remove Messi from Barca, Ronaldo from Real or even Stevie from Liverpool  :'( if someone drafts them, which they of course will. Chelsea, Liverpool (Benítez) or Dortmund (Klopp) will then start with their managerial posts vacant. For example, Bradford have a managerial vacancy in the game by default due to their manager in real life departing around the same time as the January update arriving.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:20:22 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2867 on: November 14, 2019, 11:24:26 pm »
Yes you can. I just remove him from his Chelsea job in the editor, no questions asked, just like I'll remove Messi from Barca, Ronaldo from Real or even Stevie from Liverpool  :'( if someone drafts them, which they of course will. Chelsea, Liverpool (Benítez) or Dortmund (Klopp) will then start with their managerial posts vacant. For example, Bradford have a managerial vacancy in the game by default due to their manager in real life departing around the same time as the January update arriving.

Thank you...  Confused as to when the managerial pick would be made (prior to, during or after the regular player draft).  As the players you draft might dictate how you play :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2868 on: November 14, 2019, 11:50:21 pm »
Thank you...  Confused as to when the managerial pick would be made (prior to, during or after the regular player draft).  As the players you draft might dictate how you play :)

Prior to. When you sign up that is. So that you can keep it in mind while selecting players :thumbup

Or... I could just sack every single SPL manager and make it all random perhaps? Or sticking to the incumbents. Yet to decide. A few days left until I intend to begin signups. All I know, is that Hearts are yours if you want them!

Looking at the SPL managers in the game, they look really solid in attributes and have relatively generic playing styles. Might work.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:18:48 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2869 on: November 15, 2019, 12:24:38 am »
Prior to. When you sign up that is. So that you can keep it in mind while selecting players :thumbup

Or... I could just sack every single SPL manager and make it all random perhaps? Or sticking to the incumbents. Yet to decide. A few days left until I intend to begin signups. All I know, is that Hearts are yours if you want them!

Looking at the SPL managers in the game, they look really solid in attributes and have relatively generic playing styles. Might work.

Done did deal :)

Will get to work then.  Thank you for setting this up.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2870 on: November 15, 2019, 12:42:31 am »
Done did deal :)

Will get to work then.  Thank you for setting this up.

I'm leaning towards having the managers stay, after all, if they don't deliver they get sacked automatically anyway  ;D Anyway, Hearts is set aside for Trendisnotdestiny, it's in my Word file so must be true!
Linudden.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #2871 on: November 18, 2019, 03:40:42 pm »
I know we're currently doing a 90's draft.

But as we're a month away from 2020 we surely need to do a Football Draft of the Decade?

Potential rules

• Messi and Ronaldo are ineligible Because, duh
  • 10 outfield player picks based on the year/season you choose. You must have a player representing each of the 10 years and DECLARE IN YOUR PICK which year it is
    For example 2010 World Cup winning Andres Iniesta would be more valuable (and in theory voted higher) than the 2019 J-League version. Players can obviously only be chosen once so another player cannot then choose 2011 Iniesta
  • Pick 11 is your goalkeeper of the decade No specific year ruling for this one

Any other suggestions welcome, along the lines of 'celebrating' the decade.

I was thinking about potentially having players whos country hosted or won a major international tournament. Also selecting a player who had a champions league winning season but I would be surprised if that didn't happen anyway.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2872 on: November 18, 2019, 03:46:13 pm »
Like it, I'd be in for that.

I'd allow Messi and Ronaldo though

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2873 on: November 18, 2019, 03:48:18 pm »
Sounds good but Betty was planning on doing a 80's era draft next mate.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #2874 on: November 18, 2019, 03:48:21 pm »
I'm not completely against it, but it just feels like the 2 who are fortunate enough to be number 1 and 2 pick have an absolutely massive advantage whereas keeping them out of the draft will create lots of more even teams.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #2875 on: November 18, 2019, 03:49:15 pm »
Sounds good but Betty was planning on doing a 80's era draft next mate.

Fair enough! Just thought it was a good time to do it. Maybe we can do it in the new year when we're all nostalgic for the past decade  ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2876 on: November 18, 2019, 04:03:22 pm »
Fair enough! Just thought it was a good time to do it. Maybe we can do it in the new year when we're all nostalgic for the past decade  ;D

I'm in no rush. The 80s aren't going anywhere  :D

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2877 on: November 18, 2019, 05:25:46 pm »
I'm in no rush. The 80s aren't going anywhere  :D

Does that mean a 2010s draft?

I think it’d be good to do as it’s fresh in our minds and you don’t get the issues of players overlapping decades as much because one is bookended basically.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2878 on: November 18, 2019, 05:47:07 pm »
Does that mean a 2010s draft?

I think it’d be good to do as it’s fresh in our minds and you don’t get the issues of players overlapping decades as much because one is bookended basically.

Come to think about it, problematically this does clash with our ongoing 'battle of the decades draft' since to make it even each draft needs to have the exact same criteria. So Xabi's pitch would be it's own thing. Then we'd need another 10s draft at some point. But if we spread it out enough then maybe it won't matter.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2879 on: November 18, 2019, 08:03:19 pm »
Right I've Pm'd a few legendary old timers drafters to see if they're interested in the next one. if they have the time.  Let's see who PoP's by.  ;D