Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 599232 times)

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #9400 on: April 24, 2018, 02:32:33 pm »
Impressive by the Maple Leafs to force a game 7 against, in my opinion, the favorites for the cup. I have a soft spot for the Bruins but you have to love the "rookie team" coached by Babcock. Will definitely stay up for Game 7!

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9401 on: April 25, 2018, 10:06:29 pm »
Impressive by the Maple Leafs to force a game 7 against, in my opinion, the favorites for the cup. I have a soft spot for the Bruins but you have to love the "rookie team" coached by Babcock. Will definitely stay up for Game 7!
Mixed feelings. Have to hand it to them for the spirit they've shown in the last two games, but the longer the Leafs stay in it, the more saturated our media will become with Toronto-itis. Mind you, if they go out TV will just switch to endless Jays and Raptors, not that it isn't already.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9402 on: April 26, 2018, 08:22:23 pm »
Mixed feelings. Have to hand it to them for the spirit they've shown in the last two games, but the longer the Leafs stay in it, the more saturated our media will become with Toronto-itis. Mind you, if they go out TV will just switch to endless Jays and Raptors, not that it isn't already.
haha I've only read about and heard of the infamous Toronto media. Didn't know it was that bad. I thought the Canadiens were the media darlings.

Boston vs Tampa will surely be a great series.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9403 on: April 27, 2018, 12:25:00 am »
In this round I will be cheering on Winnipeg Jets, San Jose Sharks and Washington Capitals  ;D 

In the other one, don't like either team, if I had to choose I guess I'd want the Bruins to win.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9404 on: April 27, 2018, 04:48:08 am »
It’s too bad you can’t call off a game when it’s clear one side is going to steamroll the other. At this point, staying in the game is probably more psychologically damaging to the Sharks than if it ends 5-0. Marc-Andre Fleury is a beast.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9405 on: April 28, 2018, 08:07:35 pm »
Haven't been to Winterpeg for years but visited there regularly on business back in the day, when they were first in the NHL. You couldn't go anywhere, on business or socially, without getting into a discussion on the Jets. I've never been to any city, Liverpool included, where the entire population is so passionate about the local team. Glad to see them getting a run in the playoffs.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9406 on: April 29, 2018, 03:46:26 pm »
Dominant display by the Bruins yesterday. That Bergeron-Pastranak-The Rat line is insane.

Buffalo wins the first round pick. Poor Rasmus Dahlin.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9407 on: April 29, 2018, 06:59:48 pm »
Not NHL, but amazing achievment by Great Britain ice hockey team winning promotion to the top group for the first time since 1994, they will be playing in the world championships next year.

Don't think it gets anywhere near the publicity it deserves in the UK press this.

Petr Cech has been really bigging it up on his Twitter feed which is nice to see  ;D

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9408 on: April 29, 2018, 10:44:34 pm »
Nullfünfer mentioned Kunitz as a grade A twat. His teammate Patrick Hornquist is giving him a run for his money. Kunitz at least looks good, Hornquist has a face that I would enjoy punching. (I say this safely tucked behind my screen. In real life, he would beat the shit out of me with his left hand)

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9409 on: April 29, 2018, 11:34:34 pm »
Dominant display by the Bruins yesterday. That Bergeron-Pastranak-The Rat line is insane.

Buffalo wins the first round pick. Poor Rasmus Dahlin.
Agreed on both counts.
Last night's Sharks/Golden Knights game was a cracker. The difference between regular season and playoff hockey is amazing.

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9410 on: April 30, 2018, 04:54:23 pm »
The difference between regular season and playoff hockey is amazing.
Playoff hockey - where decapitation is legal.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9411 on: April 30, 2018, 05:04:54 pm »
yet playoff hockey now is a far cry from the intensity and physicality of what it used to be. 

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9412 on: April 30, 2018, 06:04:27 pm »
yet playoff hockey now is a far cry from the intensity and physicality of what it used to be.
commentator yesterday mentioned that there had been a total number of three fights in the first round of the Playoffs. The number twenty years ago: 52.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9413 on: April 30, 2018, 06:16:26 pm »
commentator yesterday mentioned that there had been a total number of three fights in the first round of the Playoffs. The number twenty years ago: 52.

damn, crazy eh!

It's getting to soft, and snidey, cos players can't police themselves anymore.  I still love hockey, but I fall out of love with it a little more each season, with all the rule changes and everything tht's gone on the past decade, it's just diminished the game to me.  And the hockey isn't even better for it. 

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9414 on: May 2, 2018, 03:58:35 am »
Two great games tonight.

Caps steal one in Pittsburgh and Winnipeg rally from 3-0 down to win 7-4.
King Kenny.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9415 on: May 2, 2018, 04:38:41 am »
What a comeback from the jets. Incredible party in Winnipeg tonight.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9416 on: May 4, 2018, 08:06:39 pm »
damn, crazy eh!

It's getting to soft, and snidey, cos players can't police themselves anymore.  I still love hockey, but I fall out of love with it a little more each season, with all the rule changes and everything tht's gone on the past decade, it's just diminished the game to me.  And the hockey isn't even better for it. 

I hear you, but I'm going the opposite way to a small extent. Fell out of love with it a few years back when the company I worked for had a box and I got to many games. For me hockey was being ruined by astronomical ticket prices, too much catering to TV including rule changes and endless time-outs, and a huge shift in the fan base from true hockey lovers to families doing their once-a-year treat and suits spending half the game on their mobiles. My best live hockey experiences, by far, were in small towns watching junior games in crowds of about 4000. The parallels with modern football are obvious.
At least these playoffs have been full of hard-fought games. Whether the live experience is up to scratch I don't know, but it works well on TV.
The whole question of fighting is an interesting one. I've yet to meet anyone who's played the game at a fairly high level who wants fighting out of it, my son included. If it was allowed in football it would certainly fix one or two of the game's annoyances. Players like Ashley Young would have to clean up their act in a hurry or lose a few teeth.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9417 on: May 5, 2018, 01:58:51 am »
Brad Marchand is the perfect example of what irks me about the NHL these days. He is an absolute coward. He wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes 10-15 years ago. Another dirty hit tonight this time on Ryan Callahan.

And then the dirty sod licks Callahan's face after Cally confronts him  :o :o  :puke2

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9418 on: May 5, 2018, 02:21:33 am »
Marchand has taken over Matt Cooke's mantle. He'll get his. I hope.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9419 on: May 5, 2018, 08:31:20 am »
Did he seriously lick someone again? What an idiot. He seems like a very nice person off the ice, but that can be said about the majority of NHL players.
I’d expected this series to go seven games, doesn’t look like that now!

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9420 on: May 5, 2018, 09:13:01 am »
After an underwhelming first round, this one's been great so far, only the Bolts are in control, and even they were lucky in their last game.

As for Marchand... He's something else, so talented and such a snide, reckon I'd love him if I were a Bruins fan...

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9421 on: May 6, 2018, 08:42:35 pm »
Game 5 between Boston and Tampa is already intense and physical. Boston literally fighting for their lives. Proper playoff hockey.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9422 on: May 8, 2018, 03:10:34 am »
See ya Pens  8) 8) 8)  A lovely OT winner by Evgeny Kuznetsov followed by his fifa bird celebration  ;D  Very happy to see the Great 8 and his team through to the conference finals, especially at the expense of the Penguins.

Now please beat Tampa Bay Ovie!

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9423 on: May 8, 2018, 11:33:06 am »
Think they will get destroyed by Tampa. I watched the entire Boston-Tampa series and the Lightning look very strong.
I agree with you though, would love it if Ovechin finally got to lift the trophy!

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #9424 on: May 9, 2018, 06:50:44 am »
When will the schedule of games be announced for the next round?

I'm flying to Vegas on Friday and while I have no intention of trying to get a ticket I'd like to catch one game in a bar while over there. See if it matches watching a Blackhawks game in Chicago on the way to the Stanley Cup in 2015 😄

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9425 on: May 11, 2018, 05:47:37 am »
Winnipeg is the best Canadian hockey team by some distance. Knights/Jets series is going to be fearsome.

Schedule for the next round is out though I'll be surprised if you can get tickets!
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9426 on: May 11, 2018, 08:15:02 pm »
Knights - Jets and Capitals - Lightning. That's top quality conference finals right there. This will be the first time in ten years that none of LA Kings, Bruins, Penguins or Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup.

Judging by what I've seen so far, Tampa Bay look like favourites. But I would for either Vegas or Washington to win.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9427 on: May 12, 2018, 01:39:33 am »
Just took a look at Conn Smythe winners over the past 20-odd years. From somewhere, I'd got the impression that goalies won it more often than not but that's not so, I think two out of the past 10 and you have to go back to Roy and before to see goalies winning it regularly. In that respect, Jets/Knights is going to be interesting, both netminders on fire right now.
For certain, it's very hard to go deep into the playoffs without your goalie being one of your top players. That was Vancouver's achilles heel for a long time.
In one of the first two games, I'm anticipating a lacklustre performance from the Jets. Just coming off a tough series straight into another one. That's when Hellebuyck is going to have to have one of those stand-on-your-head games.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9428 on: May 12, 2018, 02:17:38 am »
Go Caps Go! And also Go Jets Go  ;D

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9429 on: May 12, 2018, 09:13:30 am »
These last couple of pages just show how clueless I am about hockey.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9430 on: May 16, 2018, 12:56:13 am »
First period of last night's game was what I feared, or at least the last five minutes of it. All of a sudden, the Jets had no legs. Hellebuyk couldn't quite keep them in it but you can't say he let them down either. It was just a total collapse. A bit like AC Milan between minutes 54 and 60 in Istanbul, although not as much fun.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9431 on: May 17, 2018, 05:06:54 am »
Marc-Andre Fleury - what more can be said?

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9432 on: May 17, 2018, 05:18:05 am »
Oh dear Winnipeg :(
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #9433 on: May 17, 2018, 12:02:07 pm »
Winnipeg is the best Canadian hockey team by some distance. Knights/Jets series is going to be fearsome.

Schedule for the next round is out though I'll be surprised if you can get tickets!

We flew home the day before the first game back in Vegas. The cheapest tickets were going for about $3,000 apparently according to the cab driver.

Great atmosphere watching the games there though in a bar

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9434 on: May 17, 2018, 07:52:31 pm »
Marc-Andre Fleury - what more can be said?
Certainly an example of how goalies improve with age. There was a time when he could be counted on for a mid-series meltdown. His composure these days is amazing. Third period last night Jets threw everything at him.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9435 on: May 20, 2018, 11:37:50 pm »
Las Vegas Golden Knights in the Stanley Cup Finals. Like everyone predicted before the season started.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9436 on: May 21, 2018, 12:15:30 am »
Las Vegas Golden Knights in the Stanley Cup Finals. Like everyone predicted before the season started.

Remarkable stuff.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9437 on: May 21, 2018, 12:58:09 am »
I will be done with the NHL this year if Tampa Bay get into the finals, urghhhh. Gary Betman will be very happy though, so that's great  ::)

I guess I'm getting to old, but I hate this NHL. Watching that bullshit that surrounds the Vegas team, the hockey is secondary. It's all about showbiz now it seems.

Yeah I'm grouchy! But I love hockey, but I hate this league more and more each season.  It's becoming unwatchable. And the worst thing is, I see traits of his horrible Americanisation of sport creeping into European football more and more with the pre game show bullshit at finals these days. It needs to be kept in hand.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9438 on: May 21, 2018, 01:11:36 am »
With you all the way, DN. Final is shaping up to be my worst nightmare, Vegas against Tampa, I'm done if that happens.
After Kiev, we'll be into months of sport doldrums. Not even sure I can be arsed to watch Tour de France this year.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9439 on: May 21, 2018, 08:17:53 am »
I can see people having a problem with Vegas but why Tampa? They have a decent fan base, have won the Stanley Cup and have been putting out good teams for roughly the last decade.
The hockey this season has been of very high quality. And although Bettman tries his best to turn hockey into ballet, it’s still been physical with a lot of big hits.