Author Topic: The Last of Us.... Part II  (Read 23788 times)

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Last of Us.... Part II
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2020, 11:11:15 pm »
Who gives a fuck honestly; the vast, vast majority of people interested in TLOU will play it and love it if the reviews are anything to go by. People give too much attention to these alt-right weirdos.

I'm playing through the remaster of the first game now as it was only £8 on the PS store and it's still a fantastic game, holds up really well. There's so much of it I've forgotten too.
one thing I’ll never forget is my first encounter with Clickers. Hopefully part two can live up to it’s predecessor.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2020, 12:11:30 am »
one thing I’ll never forget is my first encounter with Clickers. Hopefully part two can live up to it’s predecessor.

Yeah that mouth ripping death animation has stuck with me for sure! I did actually completely forget about some characters that you team up with for a decent chunk of the game, it's a lot longer than I remember too, I played a ton today and I just hit 'Fall' which I think is about half way at the most.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2020, 12:17:29 am »
Yeah that mouth ripping death animation has stuck with me for sure! I did actually completely forget about some characters that you team up with for a decent chunk of the game, it's a lot longer than I remember too, I played a ton today and I just hit 'Fall' which I think is about half way at the most.

Winter is a bit past half way. Once you make it through that point your practically home dry.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2020, 10:54:52 am »
I think I rage quit the original when I came across the first clicker (think it’s in a library or something) and didn’t pick it up for about a month after. Just couldn’t do it at all, kept getting killed cos I think there’s like three you have to try and stealth kill
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2020, 11:02:32 am »
Obviously the basement of the hotel part in the original game is shit scary but not enough people talk about when you are locked in the big room with Sam and there are walkers running all over the gaff with no sense of direction. A lot of panic going on.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2020, 12:22:46 pm »
People saying this is 10 hours longer at 25 hours. Was the first one a 15 hour playthorugh for nost? Doesn't seem that way lookimg back on it for me. Granted I usually take a lot of time to search every new area for collectibles, Easter eggs or a route to complete the level. Even still, there's a fair few locations and tricky bits if you're not playing on easy, so surpised it was 15 hours for some.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2020, 12:30:32 pm »
People saying this is 10 hours longer at 25 hours. Was the first one a 15 hour playthorugh for nost? Doesn't seem that way lookimg back on it for me. Granted I usually take a lot of time to search every new area for collectibles, Easter eggs or a route to complete the level. Even still, there's a fair few locations and tricky bits if you're not playing on easy, so surpised it was 15 hours for some.
It definitely took me longer, but I’m useless at gaming.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2020, 01:25:38 pm »
Clocked the original at 16 but I was taking turns with a friend who was actually good at shooting the things n that.
:D

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2020, 01:50:32 pm »
I think I rage quit the original when I came across the first clicker (think it’s in a library or something) and didn’t pick it up for about a month after. Just couldn’t do it at all, kept getting killed cos I think there’s like three you have to try and stealth kill

That's where I got to. I finished watching the playthrough yesterday and it turns out I was trying too hard, you just stealth walk up to it and murder it with barely any effort. It's like anti-stealth stealthing!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2020, 02:09:57 pm »
Just got the email that my rental service has dispatched a copy to me, was worried I may not get a copy first  ::)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2020, 03:51:00 pm »
Just had the dispatch E-mail from Currys, will be delivered by DPD tomorrow.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2020, 05:48:15 pm »
Staying up till midnight till it unlocks. Gonna get an hour in at least!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2020, 09:10:51 pm »
A friend of mine got this early with a PS4 Pro he ordered. We went to do the share play thing where I could just sit and watch him, but it's saying that "the current scene is blocked, wait for the host to operate" or something like that, on a blue screen. I've had no issues with other titles. Just wondering if it's because the game isn't released yet, and I'd have to wait for a bit for it to unlock?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2020, 10:31:00 pm »
A friend of mine got this early with a PS4 Pro he ordered. We went to do the share play thing where I could just sit and watch him, but it's saying that "the current scene is blocked, wait for the host to operate" or something like that, on a blue screen. I've had no issues with other titles. Just wondering if it's because the game isn't released yet, and I'd have to wait for a bit for it to unlock?

The big reveal in Arkham Knight still does that 5 years later, you might be fucked pal
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2020, 12:00:03 am »
Just finished the remaster, still a fantastic game, even if the AI's ability to somehow know exactly where I am did piss me off from time to time! It'll be interesting to see where things pick up from.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2020, 11:25:14 am »
Did a couple of hours last night. Naughty Dog are the masters when it comes to mocap, they've nailed the lighting as well. It's very much like the first in terms of stealth mechanics (although the AI has improved) and you still have to scavenge for parts and such which I enjoy doing. You can now dodge runners using L1 but it's not easy and if you miss time you'll get into a struggle and lose some health. You can stealth take down clickers with Ellie's switchblade which is better than having to craft shivs like the first. Still early days but I'd say if you enjoyed the first then you'll likely feel the same way (in terms of gameplay) if you didn't then I don't see a whole lot changing your opinion with the second, though they have improved in a lot of aspects it's not a radical shift in gameplay and sticks to the formula of the first.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2020, 02:32:55 pm »
Mine just arrived in the post. Will probably start it tomorrow or sunday as still playing through the original first.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2020, 08:54:39 pm »
To the surprise of absolutely nobody, it’s been completely user review bombed on Metacritic.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2020, 10:02:44 pm »
To the surprise of absolutely nobody, it’s been completely user review bombed on Metacritic.

Why is that?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2020, 10:09:33 pm »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2020, 10:40:16 pm »
Why is that?

They made a storyline decision people didn't like, it's pathetic.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2020, 10:49:34 pm »
They made a storyline decision people didn't like, it's pathetic.

One that fits the character too and doesn't retcon anything from the first game.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2020, 11:09:14 pm »
Did a couple of hours last night. Naughty Dog are the masters when it comes to mocap, they've nailed the lighting as well. It's very much like the first in terms of stealth mechanics (although the AI has improved) and you still have to scavenge for parts and such which I enjoy doing. You can now dodge runners using L1 but it's not easy and if you miss time you'll get into a struggle and lose some health. You can stealth take down clickers with Ellie's switchblade which is better than having to craft shivs like the first. Still early days but I'd say if you enjoyed the first then you'll likely feel the same way (in terms of gameplay) if you didn't then I don't see a whole lot changing your opinion with the second, though they have improved in a lot of aspects it's not a radical shift in gameplay and sticks to the formula of the first.
Cheers. Any truth to the metacritic user reviews regarding the story?
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2020, 11:55:10 pm »
Makes you wonder if it's grown men doing the review bombing.

Ah, who am I trying to kid? Of course it fucking is.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2020, 12:01:33 am »
Makes you wonder if it's grown men doing the review bombing.

Ah, who am I trying to kid? Of course it fucking is.

Grown men, but only in the most technical of terms.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2020, 12:04:27 am »
Cheers. Any truth to the metacritic user reviews regarding the story?

I've not read the metacritic reviews so i don't know. I've avoided all spoilers up until now, though I had an idea about the story arc from the numerous trailers and Ellie being the main protagonist.

What I will say is, a spoiler can't convey the amount of work that has been done here to tell a story which you play through. The many conversations you have as you make your way through the wilderness, interspersed with the music and the notes left by different factions. The facial animation is another level, especially Ellie, her smirks, her guilty looks, her pain and anguish. It's unparalleled.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:22:20 am by naYoRHa2b »

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2020, 12:05:06 am »
I watched a playthrough minus all the looting and shooting etc. Marvelous storytelling, the mocap and voice acting are flawless, added to the beautiful lighting and environments it deserves the praise from a story and technical aspect.

The gameplay and level design looked a bit dated, replayed the remaster and the Ellie DLC recently enough and they haven't added much from what I saw other than a dodge mechanic.

Spoiler
they pretty much Dany'd Ellie for a lot of the game(in a good way imo). I can see that genuinely upsetting a lot of people, not just troll incels.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:21:04 am by BER »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2020, 12:06:44 am »
I watched a playthrough minus all the looting and shooting etc. Marvelous storytelling, the mocap and voice acting are flawless, added to the beautiful lighting and environments it deserves the praise from a storytelling and technical aspect.

The gameplay and level design looked a bit dated, replayed the remaster and the Ellie DLC recently enough and they haven't added much from what I saw other than a dodge mechanic.

You watched the new game? Can I get the link please?

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2020, 12:11:34 am »
I watched a playthrough minus all the looting and shooting etc. Marvelous storytelling, the mocap and voice acting are flawless, added to the beautiful lighting and environments it deserves the praise from a storytelling and technical aspect.

Yeah the formula is essentially the same but they have added quite a few things like using bottles and bricks to break windows so you can get into different areas, you can now go prone to avoid detection and also hide in the grass. You can rappel with a rope and also swing to get to other areas. I'm not sure if that's where things end as I'm only in the early stages but I know you can also break car windows for loot and such
And obviously the game is like semi open world now so it's not a case of having to follow one path, it opens up so you can explore different areas at your own pace or avoid them if you want.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2020, 12:18:50 am »
You watched the new game? Can I get the link please?

Ya had no desire to play it, burnt myself out on the remaster.

https://youtu.be/Iss5bRQ7yVM - one 10 hour video mostly cutscenes
https://youtu.be/sa-lC2w4Vm8 - this is the first of like 20 videos, complete walk through.

Enjoy. Obviously don't get the same immersion but it's basically a cgi storybook, I regret nothing.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:21:45 am by BER »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2020, 12:22:01 am »
Ya had no desire to play it, burnt myself out on the remaster.

https://youtu.be/Iss5bRQ7yVM - one 10 hour video mostly cutscenes
https://youtu.be/sa-lC2w4Vm8 - this is the first of like 20 videos, complete walk through.

Enjoy. Obviously don't get the same immersion but it's basically a cgi storybook, I regret nothing.  ;D

Perfect, thanks pal!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2020, 12:26:41 am »
Yeah, as good as it is, I've an issue paying full price for something that I'll essentially play only once and take a day or two to complete. I'm sure it's great and all, but I think I'll wait for the inevitable PS5 remaster at a discount price with all the inevitable DLC.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2020, 01:47:26 am »

This isn't why it's being review bombed.

It's pathetic that it's happening but there are specifics as to why, and it's not Ellie being a lesbian.
:D

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2020, 10:07:51 am »
I've not read the metacritic reviews so i don't know. I've avoided all spoilers up until now, though I had an idea about the story arc from the numerous trailers and Ellie being the main protagonist.

What I will say is, a spoiler can't convey the amount of work that has been done here to tell a story which you play through. The many conversations you have as you make your way through the wilderness, interspersed with the music and the notes left by different factions. The facial animation is another level, especially Ellie, her smirks, her guilty looks, her pain and anguish. It's unparalleled.
Cheers. Think I will wait for the price to drop down before buying this.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2020, 02:25:30 pm »
About the review bombing, I am sure there are immature assholes bombing it due to a gay relationship. But there also a lot of people who are not happy with this game for very legitimate reasons as well.

A lot of people are unhappy with the story in the sense that it is misery porn, it is reveling in putting these characters and the players through the worst imaginable suffering possible. A lot of the time, forcing the player to do something horrific and then saying how much of a monster you are.

There is also complaints about the gameplay I have seen; one streamer I watched was bored by the lack of gameplay, and found that in a 5 hour stream, has 33 minutes of fighting, 55 minutes of cut scenes, and 3 and a half hours of just walking around between places.

There are also those who have a big problem with the development and the director (which is arguably illegitimate because it says nothing to the game itself, just how it was made). The development in that there was horrendous workplace culture and crunch which many would say is abusive to the employee's of naughty dog.

Then there is Druckmann, the creative director. He's really pretentious and pleased with himself, he has a sketchy history of being an asshole in development (bullied one of the head creative directors from TLOU 1 out, Amy Hening, who was mainly credited for great character writing of TLOU 1,  largely because she was better than him). Any criticism aimed at the game, he takes major uxbridge with and responds like a child (attacking journalists who made jokes because a review compared TLOU 2 to Schindlers List).

So yeah while I am sure alt right losers are contributing to the review bombing, there are people who are upset with the game for other legitimate and illegitimate means

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2020, 02:36:25 pm »
What I’m failing to understand is the game is apparently 25-30 hours long yet the user review was 35% when it only came out yesterday. How have these nerds completed it already?

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2020, 02:55:52 pm »
About the review bombing, I am sure there are immature assholes bombing it due to a gay relationship. But there also a lot of people who are not happy with this game for very legitimate reasons as well.

A lot of people are unhappy with the story in the sense that it is misery porn, it is reveling in putting these characters and the players through the worst imaginable suffering possible. A lot of the time, forcing the player to do something horrific and then saying how much of a monster you are.

There is also complaints about the gameplay I have seen; one streamer I watched was bored by the lack of gameplay, and found that in a 5 hour stream, has 33 minutes of fighting, 55 minutes of cut scenes, and 3 and a half hours of just walking around between places.

There are also those who have a big problem with the development and the director (which is arguably illegitimate because it says nothing to the game itself, just how it was made). The development in that there was horrendous workplace culture and crunch which many would say is abusive to the employee's of naughty dog.

Then there is Druckmann, the creative director. He's really pretentious and pleased with himself, he has a sketchy history of being an asshole in development (bullied one of the head creative directors from TLOU 1 out, Amy Hening, who was mainly credited for great character writing of TLOU 1,  largely because she was better than him). Any criticism aimed at the game, he takes major uxbridge with and responds like a child (attacking journalists who made jokes because a review compared TLOU 2 to Schindlers List).

So yeah while I am sure alt right losers are contributing to the review bombing, there are people who are upset with the game for other legitimate and illegitimate means
I can understand there being legitimate cause for complaint but it's just not possible to take seriously people who give this game scores of 0s and 1s.

I doubt the people who are posting these reviews actually give a fuck about the development culture as things are not pretty at either Rockstar or CD Projekt Red.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2020, 02:56:17 pm »

Yeah it's nothing like the original with its upbeat story and gentle characters... oh wait.

Again, it's very similar to the first but with a lot of small refinements. I just finished the remaster before moving on to this and there's a similar mix of cutscenes, exploring and combat. Maybe the exploring is a bit longer now that they have the tech to depict these vast, detailed areas, but personally I've found that aspect of both games to be a lot of fun.

Crunch? That must be why RDR2 has such a terrible user score of 8.2.

I'm still playing through it so maybe there's something in the story that people read in the leaks and got upset with, but I'd be amazed if people were review bombing it for the above reasons. It'll be the usual mix of toxic fans upset about lesbian things, a Jewish character talking about religion and the story not being the exact thing they imagined in their head over the years.

What I’m failing to understand is the game is apparently 25-30 hours long yet the user review was 35% when it only came out yesterday. How have these nerds completed it already?

Most of those reviews were already up when I checked yesterday afternoon, before my copy of the game arrived.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2020, 02:56:34 pm »
Through watching streamers/let's plays.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2020, 03:13:36 pm »
Yeah it's nothing like the original with its upbeat story and gentle characters... oh wait.

Again, it's very similar to the first but with a lot of small refinements. I just finished the remaster before moving on to this and there's a similar mix of cutscenes, exploring and combat. Maybe the exploring is a bit longer now that they have the tech to depict these vast, detailed areas, but personally I've found that aspect of both games to be a lot of fun.

Crunch? That must be why RDR2 has such a terrible user score of 8.2.

I'm still playing through it so maybe there's something in the story that people read in the leaks and got upset with, but I'd be amazed if people were review bombing it for the above reasons. It'll be the usual mix of toxic fans upset about lesbian things, a Jewish character talking about religion and the story not being the exact thing they imagined in their head over the years.

Most of those reviews were already up when I checked yesterday afternoon, before my copy of the game arrived.

The first one was about finding the small joys in a horrible world and fighting for it, sometimes against better judgement. It was suffering but there was something close to hope with it. A lot of people complaints on this is that it is all suffering all the time, aimed to make you feel bad and bad about yourself.

On the gameplay, that's fair enough from your standpoint, but there are people who disagree.

And fair point on the crunch, but again  I know there are people who just dont like that aspect.

Maybe it didn't have an effect on the review bomb, but it is fair to say there is some criticism of the game which is not just "stick it to the SJW's".