Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2878108 times)

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #29680 on: Yesterday at 02:05:49 pm »
There's just no drop off in his numbers at all.. in fact he's been better this season than last season (though obv the team's been better) 

I'm never totally against selling older players but he's put up a fantastic year .. there's an awful lot of recency bias around at the moment

Sometimes the age curve is a cliff. It’s probably recency bias - or he could be in free fall.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #29681 on: Yesterday at 02:28:53 pm »
Sometimes the age curve is a cliff. It’s probably recency bias - or he could be in free fall.
Think he's still carrying the injury. He looks stiff and uninvolved, which has never been the case.

At 31 though, almost 32, it will lead to some uncomfortable conversations.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #29682 on: Yesterday at 02:39:06 pm »
Since AFCON with Salah NOT playing (12), we lost 1, drew 1 and won 83% of games played.

Since Salah’s RETURN from AFCON (12), we have lost 4, drew 2 and won 50% of games played.

In Salah’s LFC contract to date, in which Salah has not played (43), we have lost 4 games, drawn 5 and won 79% of games played.
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #29683 on: Yesterday at 02:43:57 pm »
There's just no drop off in his numbers at all.. in fact he's been better this season than last season (though obv the team's been better) 

I'm never totally against selling older players but he's put up a fantastic year .. there's an awful lot of recency bias around at the moment

Do you pay no heed to the ‘eye test’ Jack? Genuine question.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #29684 on: Yesterday at 03:13:35 pm »

Not a dig at Jack but generally it's a problem with moneyball and judging people on numbers and metrics.

Chris Wood has more goals than Jota. I'd rather Jota.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #29685 on: Yesterday at 03:14:57 pm »

I think it's legitimate to look at his performances pre- and post-injury. A significant hamstring injury at his age really could be a cliff. We saw that with Gerrard and his groin. Lost his pace and power and it never came back. Mo's game has been built on pace and power and it's an open question if it will return with a good rest and a hardy pre-season.       

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #29686 on: Yesterday at 03:25:53 pm »
Not a dig at Jack but generally it's a problem with moneyball and judging people on numbers and metrics.

Chris Wood has more goals than Jota. I'd rather Jota.
That’s not a numbers or metrics problems, that’s an issue with the people interpreting / analyzing the numbers.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #29687 on: Yesterday at 04:24:27 pm »

Some… he hasn’t been as good post injury … but when a player has a consistent level then dips post injury I’m going to injury first before age.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:27:45 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #29688 on: Yesterday at 05:35:45 pm »
Powers wane.  It's the crappy nature of the short career of a footballer.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #29689 on: Yesterday at 05:52:58 pm »
Some… he hasn’t been as good post injury … but when a player has a consistent level then dips post injury I’m going to injury first before age.

I’d be inclined to do the same.

I doubt we have a player who was playing at a high level before injury, has a long lay off and is poor post injury but age is the determining factor in decline.

Might eventually be true but the most logical explanation is probably around rhythm post injury and struggles across the team.

I’d keep him next season even if it means running down his contract. Senior players could be really helpful transitioning to a new manager. Would be understanding if we sold him and re-invested so it’s not like I’m locked in on keeping him being the only sensible solution. Just my preferred one is to keep.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29690 on: Yesterday at 06:18:38 pm »
I’d be inclined to do the same.

I doubt we have a player who was playing at a high level before injury, has a long lay off and is poor post injury but age is the determining factor in decline.

Might eventually be true but the most logical explanation is probably around rhythm post injury and struggles across the team.

I’d keep him next season even if it means running down his contract. Senior players could be really helpful transitioning to a new manager. Would be understanding if we sold him and re-invested so it’s not like I’m locked in on keeping him being the only sensible solution. Just my preferred one is to keep.

Unfortunately we aren't in a position as a club to keep an asset like Mo another season to help a new manager. If selling him now means that's the difference between the manager bringing in one or two new strikers or not it's a no brainer. It's possible he doesn't even get the minutes next season and the media turns it into the "grumpy Salah on the subs bench" circus, that won't help anyone especially a new manager with those pricks at Sky asking him about it every week.

It's shit but sometimes it's best to do the hard thing and move on.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #29691 on: Yesterday at 06:49:28 pm »
Try to get 50 million from the Saudis.

He's fallen off a cliff. One of the strangest and hardest declines I've ever seen in professional sport.

He's a club icon and will always be for the magic he has produced. But that is over now.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #29692 on: Yesterday at 06:52:04 pm »
I also think selling him now would be good for the new manager. Just like Ange inherited a post Kane era, and didnt have to deal with annual saga of would he/wont he
New team, in his image

Last thing a brand new manager needs is to be benching Salah and then its a massive media story, and his agent is never one to keep quiet either

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29693 on: Yesterday at 06:52:20 pm »
Below what level of offer would you keep Salah for another season?

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #29694 on: Yesterday at 06:57:18 pm »
As per my post above, if Klopp stayed I think you pushed for a higher price
I think if its Slot, he needs to go, as an underperforming Mo which is Slots issue to solve is a massive headache for a brand new manager
It could quickly be a dominant story that just drags on every time he is dropped or subbed

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29695 on: Yesterday at 07:02:01 pm »
Try to get 50 million from the Saudis.

He's fallen off a cliff. One of the strangest and hardest declines I've ever seen in professional sport.

He's a club icon and will always be for the magic he has produced. But that is over now.

50 million? 😂 Yeah, double that at least. He's still world class, if someone wants him they have to pay top dollar.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #29696 on: Yesterday at 07:06:07 pm »
He WAS world class
He isnt world class now
He is miles off it

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29697 on: Yesterday at 07:06:43 pm »
He WAS world class
He isnt world class now
He is miles off it

He's just out of form. Like the other ten players.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29698 on: Yesterday at 08:02:52 pm »
Jesus, he's not been helped by the other forwards this season has he.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1783461137628967108

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29699 on: Yesterday at 08:17:28 pm »
Hoping it’s just the injury, he looks like he cant even control the ball at the moment, it’s quite bizarre to see. I dont think i’ve seen him as poor in terms of control in all of his time here

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #29700 on: Yesterday at 08:24:44 pm »
Hoping it’s just the injury, he looks like he cant even control the ball at the moment, it’s quite bizarre to see. I dont think i’ve seen him as poor in terms of control in all of his time here
Yeah, his touch and passing is completely off. That shouldnt happen from age or injury.
Maybe he still has pain, there's something wrong

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #29701 on: Yesterday at 08:26:23 pm »

Bloody hell. Thats a touch watch
I think Nunez missed 20 alone in that clip!

But I also think 90% of that video is pre AFCON - the Utd games is the only one I can see post then

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #29702 on: Yesterday at 10:21:53 pm »

Possibly his age has slowed his recovery?
My guess would be Brentford set his injury back and he's playing with fear now.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #29703 on: Yesterday at 11:00:00 pm »
50 million? 😂 Yeah, double that at least. He's still world class, if someone wants him they have to pay top dollar.

So in the same contract situation he's worth more than prime Kane? Are you sure?

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29704 on: Yesterday at 11:03:05 pm »
Would be very surprised if he sticks around another year. Think a change suits him, and possibly us, quite well this summer.

He is getting on and we are heading into a transition which could last any number of years.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29705 on: Today at 12:05:54 am »
Possibly his age has slowed his recovery?
My guess would be Brentford set his injury back and he's playing with fear now.

I'm sure there's research on it somewhere, but it always seems to me that when players reach their 30s it's the stops and starts that cause the issues as much as being overplayed/tired. Not just injuries, but breaks in play in general.

Like you're average 22-27 year old top level footballer goes off on their jollies at the end of the season, and let's say their fitness drops to 70% (or if you enjoy a Firmino-style off-season, maybe 50%). You come back for pre-season, work your way back up, and then early in the season you hit 100%. You'll start to drop as you get tired as the season wears on, but then you'll go on your summer holidays again, and the cycle repeats.

When you hit your 30s it feels like everytime you lose a bit of fitness it's harder to get it back, and you maybe don't even get all the way back to 100%. Maybe you drop to 60% in the off-season, but can only get back up to 90% when the season starts. Then you pick up an injury, and build your way back but max out at 85%. Then you take a break, lose some of your fitness, and this time can only build back to 80% after pre-season training. It's just harder and harder to pick the body up and go again at this age, and I imagine Salah is feeling it after what must be the worst injury of his Liverpool career.

It felt like it played out like that a bit with Henderson and Fabinho anyway, in the way they almost seemed to lose their legs overnight - they both showed signs of slowing down/increasing injury-proneness (in Henderson's case at least), but they went away for their break and came back in summer 2022 and just basically never got back to grips with the pace of the game ever again, and that was it.

I don't think this version of Salah is representative of his current true level, but I do wonder what his max % is, so to speak, as I'm not convinced it's a case of "rest up and go again" when players are this age.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29706 on: Today at 12:10:12 am »
The timing is right, new blood is needed in a few positions, technical players who can unlock packed defences would be a good start.
Anywhere near 100mil and id sell along with nunez and look for a new partnership.
I hope fsg are going to back the new manager or the tide could turn v v quickly

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #29707 on: Today at 06:57:07 am »
Aye aye…. Another excellent player people have totally written off.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #29708 on: Today at 07:11:07 am »
He WAS world class
He isnt world class now
He is miles off it

what sort of woodwork have you come out?

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #29709 on: Today at 07:14:46 am »
Would be very surprised if he sticks around another year. Think a change suits him, and possibly us, quite well this summer.

He is getting on and we are heading into a transition which could last any number of years.

He if sticks around another year he leaves on a free next summer.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #29710 on: Today at 09:44:30 am »

That is a tough watch!!!

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29711 on: Today at 09:58:46 am »

Nunez should be sold on basis of that video alone.
Some shocking misses from him, all following the same pattern - blast it like a donkey in general direction of the goal.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #29712 on: Today at 11:13:00 am »
what sort of woodwork have you come out?

My boys love Salah, have his jersey etc
Just pointing out he is not world class anymore

Anyone who reads this thread now is saddened by the title - there was a multi year period he was legit contender for best player in the world
Now he shouldnt start on merit (and if Jota and Gakpo were back I would start them before him)

So I dont know how you can be still considered world class?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #29713 on: Today at 11:15:47 am »
My boys love Salah, have his jersey etc
Just pointing out he is not world class anymore

Anyone who reads this thread now is saddened by the title - there was a multi year period he was legit contender for best player in the world
Now he shouldnt start on merit (and if Jota and Gakpo were back I would start them before him)

So I dont know how you can be still considered world class?

It's a title of the thread, which is about Salah's career as a whole at LFC, not just what he is now. Instead we get posts about him which are disrespectful from people who just cannot cope with the idea of us missing out on a league title.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29714 on: Today at 12:09:58 pm »
Jonathan Northcroft
@JNorthcroft
·
1h
A bit bewildered at how Salah is having a "terrible season" when he has scored the same number of PL goals as Isak, who we can all agree is on fire. It's true he has toiled since Afcon but even by today's standards the narrative is a bit OTT.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #29715 on: Today at 01:03:30 pm »
It's a title of the thread, which is about Salah's career as a whole at LFC, not just what he is now. Instead we get posts about him which are disrespectful from people who just cannot cope with the idea of us missing out on a league title.

I think what people are saying, and certainly what I am feeling, isnt that we need to sell Mo as punishment for not winning the league. No one is banishing someone for being a naughty boy......
People are just saying, with one year left on his contract, do you sell him now for decent money and invest in his replacement for the next 5 years+
And before now, you would never say that as the drop off to his replacement was too big
But now, for the first time, you can see that maybe its in everyone's interests. And that done with the greatest respect, and to  cherish his legacy
Vs he stays on next yr, drop off continues which is a sad end for all parties  and he then goes for a free

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29716 on: Today at 01:55:21 pm »
I think what people are saying, and certainly what I am feeling, isnt that we need to sell Mo as punishment for not winning the league. No one is banishing someone for being a naughty boy......
People are just saying, with one year left on his contract, do you sell him now for decent money and invest in his replacement for the next 5 years+
And before now, you would never say that as the drop off to his replacement was too big
But now, for the first time, you can see that maybe its in everyone's interests. And that done with the greatest respect, and to  cherish his legacy
Vs he stays on next yr, drop off continues which is a sad end for all parties  and he then goes for a free

I understand the argument about the club having to considers its options with regard to Salah's contract, but I think there has been a lot of venting on a number of player's threads, due to the disappointment of how this season has ended. Of course there has been a downturn in his performances, as there has been elsewhere as well. We have a number of players into their 30's now, which we need to be planning for. I think it would be risky to get rid of them all, as this is a much younger team now. You need some experienced heads here, not least for how they galvanise the younger players. I imagine the likes of Danns has learnt a lot from how Salah has behaved professionally at the club. I just think the club has to change in a varied way rather than a huge way. There were talks after the last game of wholesome changes needed, which I don't agree with. That's why I think some people are letting their emotions talk for them as they are so disappointed in how this season has ended. I have always been of the opinion a finish in the top four and a cup win would have been a positive ending, considering where we started from at the beginning of this season.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29717 on: Today at 02:17:39 pm »
Jonathan Northcroft
@JNorthcroft
·
1h
A bit bewildered at how Salah is having a "terrible season" when he has scored the same number of PL goals as Isak, who we can all agree is on fire. It's true he has toiled since Afcon but even by today's standards the narrative is a bit OTT.

He's come back unfit, has returned to "fitness" during his fasting period. He's not fallen off a cliff, he's having a rare out of form out of fitness patch. Whether he's the long term answer moving forward is unsure though.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #29718 on: Today at 02:57:12 pm »
Salah is 32 in June. Up there as one of Liverpool's best. The attack of Mane, Firmino and Salah is probably 2nd place only to Barnes, Aldridge, Beardsley during my time.

But the issue isn't really Salah as such (apart from his shite performances since Afcon he is still our best attacker) it's our budgets and his age. He will need to be replaced soon. Maybe end of next season. So the big question is if someone offered 60-80 million now does it make sense to be purchasing his replacement and letting him go? If FSG were splashing the cash then maybe it would not be up for debate but we probably get an average of around 40 million net spend each year so that is not enough. Unless our transfer spend is going to change I can't see any other way forward other than selling.
alf a pound of braeburns!