Author Topic: Bars/Clubs in town  (Read 342517 times)

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Bars/Clubs in town
« Reply #2240 on: November 24, 2020, 02:25:23 pm »
https://twitter.com/MatFlusk/status/1331165826305626112

Pogue Mahones, the latest pub to be stripped of any morsel of personality, by the look of things.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2241 on: November 24, 2020, 02:26:27 pm »

Pogue Mahones, the latest pub to be stripped of any morsel of personality, by the look of things.

Oh no  :(

Edit: Ah, just seen it's one of Paul Senior's. Makes sense.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:31:49 pm by Snail »

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #2242 on: November 24, 2020, 04:04:40 pm »
I feel the only reason these places ditch cosy old pub-décor for modern 'sheik' blandness is because they think it is the only way they can get away with charging £4+ minimum for a pint. Sad to see.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2243 on: November 24, 2020, 04:46:48 pm »
I feel the only reason these places ditch cosy old pub-décor for modern 'sheik' blandness is because they think it is the only way they can get away with charging £4+ minimum for a pint. Sad to see.

Again, Paul Senior involved, so yes.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2244 on: November 28, 2020, 09:59:37 am »

Shocking that....been bevvying in there since it was Kitty's.....lot of Liverpool history in that boozer, now gone for good by the look of that pic......new owner needs fucking and fined for cultural vandalism

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2245 on: November 30, 2020, 05:06:58 pm »
Again, Paul Senior involved, so yes.

Really fucking frustrating.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2246 on: November 30, 2020, 07:13:49 pm »

Offline Carllfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2247 on: November 30, 2020, 08:45:25 pm »
Papillon on Hope street, great place to go.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2248 on: December 1, 2020, 09:51:38 am »

Yep, Pogues wasn't the cheapest place in town but it was worth paying a bit extra for a pint for the surroundings and atmosphere. They'd rather have generic watered down chain-esque bars now that they can fill with students on a weeknight for £1 watered down bevvies.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2249 on: December 1, 2020, 12:10:14 pm »
Saw something earlier on Twitter saying that the Shiraz cafe on Williamson Square is being turned into a cocktail bar ;D

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2250 on: December 1, 2020, 12:19:56 pm »

Anyone know if this is it, or were they just painting and going to put all the old stuff back to give it some atmosphere?

I find it so hard to go into Liverpool now as a lot of the places I used to go to seem to be changed or closed. A lot of my friends live Chester way so we go to the traditional pubs there, but never know where to take people in Liverpool outside of Phil/Baltic Fleet. Where do you go for a good pint and atmosphere (when its not covid hell)?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2251 on: December 1, 2020, 02:18:54 pm »
Anyone know if this is it, or were they just painting and going to put all the old stuff back to give it some atmosphere?

I find it so hard to go into Liverpool now as a lot of the places I used to go to seem to be changed or closed. A lot of my friends live Chester way so we go to the traditional pubs there, but never know where to take people in Liverpool outside of Phil/Baltic Fleet. Where do you go for a good pint and atmosphere (when its not covid hell)?

I'm not sure I understand the reaction to that Pogues photo on here & on Twitter so far...?  It looks like during a period of closure (and seemingly a change in ownership) they've stripped it out and given it a lick of paint - isn't it worth waiting to see what they do?

Wasn't it closed for a while only a couple of years ago?  And it looked to me as though it was closed again from the summer.  Presumably better that places like this are given a new lease of life rather than left vacant & decaying?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2252 on: December 4, 2020, 10:05:34 am »

You need the business end of town mate, still a load of traditional boozers to be found  - start off by the tunnel entrance in The Ship & Mitre and then next door into the The Excelsior and then just wander toward the Pier Head weaving between Dale Street and Tithebearn Street taking in

The Dead Crafty Beer Company....

The Rose & Crown...

The Poste House...

The Vernon Arms...

Shenanigans.....

The Lion tavern...

The Railway....

Rigby's...

Lady of Mann...

The Saddle Inn....

Ye Hole in Ye Wall...

The Pig and Whistle...

Ma Boyles....

from there cut back over to Fenwick Street and
The Alchemist....

The Slaughterhouse....

The Cornmarket....

then around the corner to The Old Bank....The Captain Alexander...and end up in The Liverpool!

best pub crawl in Liverpool for my money ..and one I'm itching to catch up with post-madness.....just beware of the £1.50 trebles and Ozzy Whites in The Posthouse...otherwise the crawl could be over before it's begun.... :o 8)
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #2253 on: December 4, 2020, 10:19:42 am »
I think I´d be crawling from the Saddle Inn to Ye Hole in Ye Wall...

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2254 on: December 4, 2020, 10:25:08 am »
Yup, def this side of town is better for the older more traditional pubs imo. Although a few of those listed above I’d not class as that pubby, or at least that traditional, anymore - Lady of Mann and Ma Boyles for sure. The latter does good food though and the former (was) great on a quiz night.

Pig & Whistle is closed for the foreseeable. Was speaking to the owner last night and they’re really feeling the offices being closed. Even Cross Keys, their other, which does food, he’s debating if to keep open.

Good list though though, may have to attempt it myself when things are back open.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2255 on: December 4, 2020, 10:33:35 am »

As someone who used to live in Liverpool and currently resides in Chester I'm amazed you think Chester has a better pub offering than Liverpool. I'd argue Chester has a handful of decent places. There's a lot of rubbish here IMO

The list from Pistolero nails it.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #2256 on: December 6, 2020, 08:50:55 am »

All the places mentioned above are brilliant (I consider Dale St to be the "Beer Street" of Liverpool).

I'd also throw in a special mention for The Grapes on Roscoe Street (my favourite pub in Liverpool and the one I always take visitors to), The Roscoe Head (if there aren't too many of you and you can fit through the door), The Bridewell/The Denbigh Castle (Both ran by Dom, formerly of the Fly in the Loaf and Fiona, formerly from Rigby's).  I haven't been in for a good few years, but pre lockdown, every time I walked past Dr Duncans the beer selection and atmosphere seemed pretty good, lastly, The Dispensery on Renshaw Street is now Dave free and still serving excellent quality beer (one of the few places round here to get stuff from Rat brewery if you're after that).

Lastly, I used to work in The Dead Crafty Beer Company and I'm good friends with the owners (A wife and husband from Garston), it's not traditional at all and it's definitely not cheap (talking £4.50 for a schooner and upwards) but the bar focuses on bringing customers the best beer from the top UK breweries and others from all over the world. I fully appreciate that it's not for everyone but just don't rock up there expecting £3 pints, it's the sort of place you pop into to try something truly special (think of it more like a beer version of a cocktail bar).  I did serve Peter Moore and Alan Hansen in there a while back though, if that helps.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2257 on: December 6, 2020, 01:13:36 pm »
(I consider Dale St to be the "Beer Street" of Liverpool)

Absolutely. No better place in Liverpool for a proper pub crawl, great list above.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2258 on: December 6, 2020, 02:08:04 pm »
for a schooner

And with that I instantly detest the place  ;D

Can’t stand anywhere which serves schooners rather than pints, and charges the same (or more) for the privilege. At least if they’re doing rare beers you can sort of explain it away, but plenty of places doing your regular lagers and doing it too.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #2259 on: December 6, 2020, 04:15:37 pm »
And with that I instantly detest the place  ;D

Can’t stand anywhere which serves schooners rather than pints, and charges the same (or more) for the privilege. At least if they’re doing rare beers you can sort of explain it away, but plenty of places doing your regular lagers and doing it too.

True that, can't be fucked with places charging a fiver for a schooner of Asahi or some bollocks.  This is mad shit that costs up to 300 odd quid a keg to buy in though, serving a pint would work out astronomically expensive.  There's also pints of Berliner Pilsner available permanently for (I think) 4.50/ 

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2260 on: December 10, 2020, 12:43:30 pm »
I'm not sure I understand the reaction to that Pogues photo on here & on Twitter so far...?  It looks like during a period of closure (and seemingly a change in ownership) they've stripped it out and given it a lick of paint - isn't it worth waiting to see what they do?

Wasn't it closed for a while only a couple of years ago?  And it looked to me as though it was closed again from the summer.  Presumably better that places like this are given a new lease of life rather than left vacant & decaying?

Open as of last night, I believe.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2261 on: December 12, 2020, 09:21:35 am »
Been in the office a couple of times this week so managed a few bevs as you do.

The sad news is The Cross Keys has closed until February (or a change in the rules), Neil, the lad who runs it, can't justify keeping it open when hardly nobody comes in. That said I had a little stay behind in there last night for an hour or two.
He's got the Pig & Whistle too and interestingly his missus, Laura, worked in the Zanzibar for a few years so they are planning on introducing more and more live bands in there in the future.

Apparently The Lion opened again yesterday, their take on substantial meal being a pie!

Called in on Thursday to the Old Bank (the arl First National), you've got to have two starters but there is no time limit and they have those decent booths with the screens in if you want to watch the footy or racing. My only criticism is they've bumped up the price of the food. I get they have lost a lot of dough but don't take the piss out of your customers.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2262 on: December 12, 2020, 02:06:48 pm »
The sad news is The Cross Keys has closed until February (or a change in the rules), Neil, the lad who runs it, can't justify keeping it open when hardly nobody comes in. That said I had a little stay behind in there last night for an hour or two.
He's got the Pig & Whistle too and interestingly his missus, Laura, worked in the Zanzibar for a few years so they are planning on introducing more and more live bands in there in the future.

Yeah he was saying to me the other week it just wasn’t anywhere near busy enough to keep it open. We’ve been in three times since it opened back up and were one of handful of tables.

The thing is he relies on the office trade, but he really needs to get word out about the place to the (ever growing) number of people who live within walking distance. When I first moved to the area I had no clue it was even there for about 6 months and I lived maybe 2 mins away and walked down to the Tesco by it most days. It’s tucked away down a road you just wouldn’t walk down unless you were going there pretty much so it doesn’t benefit from just being known from passing traffic.

As for the Pig, it’s Tui who managed the place who has the links to the live music (she’s in a band too who are pretty good) rather than Laura so much. She’s had quite a few bands in there before. We were speaking to her before the first lockdown and she’d been planning to get a lot more live music in back then but obviously with the lockdown(s) she’s just not been able to.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2263 on: December 12, 2020, 03:18:56 pm »
You know, it's always baffled my why The Cross Keys doesn't have some form of advertising boards on Old Hall St, and Tithebarn St, to let passing patrons know they're there.

I suppose up to now, it's never been a problem. Like the Hole in ye wall, on Hackins Hay, drinkers and those who know, just know , where it is.

Still, an advertising board on a busy thoroufare, couldn't do any harm.

In the past, keeping it hidden and a bit exclusive might of been the thing to do, for selected clientele.

Not much good now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 03:21:39 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2264 on: December 12, 2020, 03:22:41 pm »
It has one on Old Hall, or at least used to, but it’s not all that obvious.

A leaflet drop to all the local apartment blocks would help. Offer a free pint with a meal or 50% off their bill or something with it. I was going to mention it tomorrow when I went to watch the match but doesn’t look like that’s happening. I’ll give Neil a text and tell him though as think it’ll really help.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2265 on: December 12, 2020, 03:26:53 pm »
Always liked  the Cross Keys when I've been in, but it's too hidden and off the beaten track for it's own good these days.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2266 on: December 12, 2020, 03:34:50 pm »

Called in on Thursday to the Old Bank (the arl First National), you've got to have two starters but there is no time limit and they have those decent booths with the screens in if you want to watch the footy or racing. My only criticism is they've bumped up the price of the food. I get they have lost a lot of dough but don't take the piss out of your customers.

Met my wife in there in October 2006 after a game v Blackburn .
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2267 on: December 12, 2020, 03:35:13 pm »
In days gone by when the old streets were around it, Liverpool Stadium, St. Pauls Square etc. there were numerous pubs that used to feed off each other,

What with being a bit landlocked by new buildings these days, it's hidden.

I can imagine asking permission to put up some advertising on some of the office buildings on the two main thoroufares that bounry it, could be problematic though, especially if they're owned by absentee landlords like the Duke of Westminster etc.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2268 on: December 12, 2020, 05:09:57 pm »
Looks like the Anfield Wrap guys went in to try Pogue Mahone

Least the bar looks the same.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2269 on: December 12, 2020, 11:51:44 pm »
Talking of the cross keys near moorfields made me think of the Exchange bar.

I used to live in the block of apartments next door and it was a perfect Saturday afternoon boozer. Always had the footy on. Always had a selection of absolute random people in there.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2270 on: December 15, 2020, 04:46:38 pm »

I used to live in the block of apartments next door and it was a perfect Saturday afternoon boozer. Always had the footy on. Always had a selection of absolute random people in there.

Lot of fond memories for the Exchange, spent more time in that pub than I did in work which was just up the road. Richie, the guy who owned it, was in his 80s when he threw the towel in. He gave me and a few other lads a tab because A, he knew where I worked and B, knew each day I got paid.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #2271 on: December 18, 2020, 05:18:26 pm »
Always liked  the Cross Keys when I've been in, but it's too hidden and off the beaten track for it's own good these days.
It was still always rammed every Friday dinner and after work pre-March, it didn't struggle by any means.

Yeah, it was a great little boozer that. Shame is got sold and changed into Costa and whatever else really.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2272 on: December 18, 2020, 05:32:00 pm »
It was still always rammed every Friday dinner and after work pre-March, it didn't struggle by any means.

It was quite quiet on weekends though, other than football. It relies massively on the office staff, but there are loads of residential apartments around there now and they really need to make themselves known to them.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2273 on: December 18, 2020, 06:32:45 pm »
Anyone been in the couple of bars on the same corner of Slater & Seel Streets?  I believe the one on Slater Street is called 'Butter' and the one on Seel Street might be called 'The Highball Club' looking on street view.

Little coffee shop on the Fleet Street corner (Potts Coffee) was nice too - popped in after some festive shopping this afternoon.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2274 on: December 18, 2020, 08:20:20 pm »
Yeah, it was a great little boozer that. Shame is got sold and changed into Costa and whatever else really.

It's a pret isn't it?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2275 on: December 18, 2020, 10:20:21 pm »
It's a pret isn't it?

Yeah mate it’s the Pret. Costa is on the corner over the road.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2276 on: December 21, 2020, 10:13:00 am »
Yeah mate it’s the Pret. Costa is on the corner over the road.

Richie the owner told us all he was keeping it open during the summer then the following week closed it with a few days notice. All his barstaff had to find new jobs with only a couple of days notice. Bit naughty that.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2277 on: December 21, 2020, 02:25:49 pm »
Richie the owner told us all he was keeping it open during the summer then the following week closed it with a few days notice. All his barstaff had to find new jobs with only a couple of days notice. Bit naughty that.

Yeah that’s shit.

My Dad worked on Old Hall in the late 70’s into the 80’s and used to go to a lot of them round there. Weird to think I’m now living there and going to a load of them (that are still around) regularly too  :D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2278 on: December 21, 2020, 03:53:44 pm »
Yeah that’s shit.

My Dad worked on Old Hall in the late 70’s into the 80’s and used to go to a lot of them round there. Weird to think I’m now living there and going to a load of them (that are still around) regularly too  :D

Did your Dad go into the Crooked Billet on Exchange St East? Handy for a drink after a visit to Berni Inn on Exchange Flags.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2279 on: December 21, 2020, 04:04:03 pm »
Did your Dad go into the Crooked Billet on Exchange St East? Handy for a drink after a visit to Berni Inn on Exchange Flags.

I’d have to ask him but almost certainly. He frequented most of them around there after work Back then from the stories he’s told me.