Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 474283 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #5800 on: March 11, 2021, 02:08:08 pm »
Had an old MBPro 2011 sitting around for a year after the old Magsafe charger died. Decided to bring it back to life, but it's been a bloody journey. Replaced the charger first, turns out the battery got fried when the charged went. Replaced the battery, somehow got it to boot. Then I got a new SSD drive to replace the terrible HDD. Bloody Recovery mode was so buggy it took me ages for it to properly load. Once it did it wouldn't select the new SSD as the machine date was reset to 2000. Had to boot it a lot of times again to get access to the Terminal after which it turns out some keys aren't working. So to enter the date resetting line of code I had to manually copy and paste letters to the terminal from some random article in Safari and collage them into the line of code. With that fixed and Sierra installed the keyboad issues still persisted - looks like it died as well. So close to having it done, but replacing the keyboard looks like a bloody Mount Everest of Macbook DIY projects. Would have been simpler to just sell the thing for change, but now I''m neck deep in it and there is no going back.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5801 on: March 11, 2021, 02:45:48 pm »
Would have been simpler to just sell the thing for change, but now I''m neck deep in it and there is no going back.

https://www.behavioraleconomics.com/resources/mini-encyclopedia-of-be/sunk-cost-fallacy/

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5802 on: March 11, 2021, 02:58:06 pm »
Yeah.
Not even looking to sell the thing, but would use it as a backup machine, or give it to my daughter as her first computer.
Just need the bloody thing to work and it seems to be dying one piece at a time.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #5803 on: March 11, 2021, 02:59:40 pm »
Yeah.
Not even looking to sell the thing, but would use it as a backup machine, or give it to my daughter as her first computer.
Just need the bloody thing to work and it seems to be dying one piece at a time.
Keyboard replacement is an absolute bitch - plus the 2011 won't take the latest OS anyway, not that it would benefit much from it ;)

While I'm here, anyone know how to get around the flash problem, now that it's not supported?? Took me years to get the hang of posting youtube clips on here and now they don't work anyway.......

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5804 on: March 11, 2021, 08:13:42 pm »
Fuck, he got back in  :(

Hope you weren't referring to me there!
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5805 on: March 11, 2021, 09:28:57 pm »
Hope you weren't referring to me there!

I was, but don’t worry it was all in jest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5806 on: March 12, 2021, 02:50:55 pm »
I was, but don’t worry it was all in jest.

Shit who let Craig back on?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5807 on: March 12, 2021, 07:02:46 pm »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5808 on: April 20, 2021, 07:12:56 pm »
New iMac 👀

Only the smaller one been announced so maybe in June/Sept they’ll do the 27” with xdr like they’ve done on the iPad Pro... they’ve removed the iMac Pro so something will be along.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5809 on: April 20, 2021, 09:53:57 pm »
New iMac 👀

Only the smaller one been announced so maybe in June/Sept they’ll do the 27” with xdr like they’ve done on the iPad Pro... they’ve removed the iMac Pro so something will be along.

I expect a Pro version without the bezels and "the lip".

While I like the slimness of the new iMac, I really don't like that front nor the fact it only comes in 24". Anything less than 27" is a no-go for me. Additionally, the amount of ports is a joke for a supposed stationary computer. Even the more expensive version only have four usb-ports, forcing you to have an extra hub for "older" peripherals.

Anyway, I doubt I'd buy an iMac now anyway. Now, the newer Macbook Pro's might sway me..  ;)

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5810 on: April 20, 2021, 10:03:25 pm »
Am I missing something or does it only come with 8GB of memory?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5811 on: April 21, 2021, 11:15:10 am »
I expect a Pro version without the bezels and "the lip".

While I like the slimness of the new iMac, I really don't like that front nor the fact it only comes in 24". Anything less than 27" is a no-go for me. Additionally, the amount of ports is a joke for a supposed stationary computer. Even the more expensive version only have four usb-ports, forcing you to have an extra hub for "older" peripherals.

Anyway, I doubt I'd buy an iMac now anyway. Now, the newer Macbook Pro's might sway me..  ;)

I don't mind the lip and bevels, I have the 27" now and wouldn't go smaller so not looking at any upgrades currently, if the bigger machine gets a makeover then that will change obviously... :D

Am I missing something or does it only come with 8GB of memory?

Configurable to 16 but can't upgrade so bit of a fucker if you make the wrong decision. I'd probably go as high as I could justify.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5812 on: April 21, 2021, 12:00:52 pm »
Ah ok.
Even 16GB is a bit low imo, no matter how fast the RAM modules are.
Seems like it's slightly more geared to be a casual machine in this first iteration, but I expect this to change if and when they release 27'' or Pro version.
I really like the design to be honest, always prefer it when Apple go a bit more 'square'.

In any case, redesign of the iMac was long overdue and they did a decent job, but lack of upgrade options and the omission of a card slot is a serious problem for me.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5813 on: April 21, 2021, 02:46:45 pm »
I have to say that the M1 Air has impressed me though, so I don't know if I'm too concerned about the seemingly 'low' side on the ram. Was playing with blender over the weekend on it and it ran really smoothly. Same with Xcode and adobe apps.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5814 on: April 21, 2021, 05:10:10 pm »
I have to say that the M1 Air has impressed me though, so I don't know if I'm too concerned about the seemingly 'low' side on the ram. Was playing with blender over the weekend on it and it ran really smoothly. Same with Xcode and adobe apps.
I've also been looking at that, esp now they have a 512gb device. My local mac technician though says he is always servicing Airs which get clogged up with dust and stuff - ironic really given they're called 'Air' - he still advises to stick with MBP - easy to say when you have 1800e to spare..........

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5815 on: April 21, 2021, 07:20:46 pm »
The M1 Air is insane value compared to the Intel version or many other similarly priced machines. It performs great and has thus far not had any issues with anything my gf has thrown at it. #jinx

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5816 on: April 21, 2021, 07:39:22 pm »
Decided to upgrade my old Mac Mini for my GF to use.

It's a mid-2011 2.5 i5. I'd already upgraded to 8GB RAM (the supposed max) but ordered 16GB today. Also got a dual HDD caddy on order and a 1TB SSD to make the main drive with the HDD that came with it as a backup drive.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5817 on: April 22, 2021, 08:35:21 am »
I've also been looking at that, esp now they have a 512gb device. My local mac technician though says he is always servicing Airs which get clogged up with dust and stuff - ironic really given they're called 'Air' - he still advises to stick with MBP - easy to say when you have 1800e to spare..........

I've had 3 and no issue at all with them getting clogged up with anything  what's he said happens to them? They start running hot or something? I've had no issue like that and the first one I had I used for about 5 years before upgrading to the retina version.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:37:21 am by Claire. »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5818 on: April 22, 2021, 10:30:17 am »
I've had 3 and no issue at all with them getting clogged up with anything  what's he said happens to them? They start running hot or something? I've had no issue like that and the first one I had I used for about 5 years before upgrading to the retina version.
Yeah he was saying something about them overheating and getting dirty easily, insisting the fans in the mbp do a better job of ensuring high functionality. Personally I'm drawn to the new M1 Air........cos I cba lashing out an extra 600 on an mbp.....

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5819 on: April 22, 2021, 10:33:26 am »
Does the new Air even have fans?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5820 on: April 22, 2021, 10:54:10 am »
Decided to upgrade my old Mac Mini for my GF to use.

It's a mid-2011 2.5 i5. I'd already upgraded to 8GB RAM (the supposed max) but ordered 16GB today. Also got a dual HDD caddy on order and a 1TB SSD to make the main drive with the HDD that came with it as a backup drive.

I regularly use a couple of 2012-era Apple machines that have been upgraded to good quality SSD and 16GB ram and whilst I can't claim I throw anything at them that would stress them out they run beautifully for simple tasks. Admittedly both have got i7 quad cores in rather than i5.

The only downside is that they probably aren't much more capable than a mid-level modern machine, and the tech developments of the last 10 years mean that those machines will be running cooler, drawing less power, have longer battery life etc.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5821 on: April 22, 2021, 10:56:35 am »
I regularly use a couple of 2012-era Apple machines that have been upgraded to good quality SSD and 16GB ram and whilst I can't claim I throw anything at them that would stress them out they run beautifully for simple tasks. Admittedly both have got i7 quad cores in rather than i5.

The only downside is that they probably aren't much more capable than a mid-level modern machine, and the tech developments of the last 10 years mean that those machines will be running cooler, drawing less power, have longer battery life etc.

Yeah I’ve heard decent things about upgrading them. She really won’t be using it for all that much, and it’s cost relatively little to do the upgrades, so will be perfect for her first intro to Macs (beyond using mine a little over the years).

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5822 on: April 22, 2021, 11:18:29 am »
Yeah I’ve heard decent things about upgrading them. She really won’t be using it for all that much, and it’s cost relatively little to do the upgrades, so will be perfect for her first intro to Macs (beyond using mine a little over the years).
Mine is mid-2012 and running Catalina. Replaced the optical disc with 500GB SSD, upgraded to 8GB RAM. It's still a fantastic machine, using it daily, for all work/personal online needs. Processing speed is okay for what I need. OS upgrades have hit their limit but this will serve as a decent back-up machine when I do upgrade to M1. Any MBP up to and including 2016 is worth looking at for people using their first macs. I am still on the lookout locally for a decent 2016 MBP, which is slimmer, has the better speakers (they backtracked n the shit speakers used in the 2012 model) and still has the decent keyboards and processors plus the ports needed for peripherals. Might do that as opposed to splashing out on an M1 just yet.........

Beginning slowly to accept that this MBP is a brick, compared with newer versions ;)

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5823 on: April 22, 2021, 12:58:37 pm »
Does the new Air even have fans?
No fans but my experience so far with the M1 is a fan's not needed.It's never got anywhere needing a fan.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5824 on: April 22, 2021, 02:34:10 pm »
Yeah he was saying something about them overheating and getting dirty easily, insisting the fans in the mbp do a better job of ensuring high functionality. Personally I'm drawn to the new M1 Air........cos I cba lashing out an extra 600 on an mbp.....

How weird, I can't recall ever hearing a fan come on on any of the older ones, the M1 doesn't even have one. None of them have ever run noticeably hot, like the MacBook Pro I had would scorch your best oven glove.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5825 on: April 22, 2021, 06:44:48 pm »
I was hoping the next MBP will come with a SD card slot again, but seeing how the new iMac doesn’t come with one, I’ve given up hope.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5826 on: April 22, 2021, 07:29:21 pm »
I can somewhat understand their weird aesthetic fetish for no slots on laptops, but on the back of a desktop machine? That’s just purposefully taking the piss. It must cost about 3 USD to include these days, and anyone with a camera of any sort would use it constantly.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5827 on: April 22, 2021, 08:06:48 pm »
Probably have that in the "pro" version..

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5828 on: April 23, 2021, 09:22:03 am »
I can somewhat understand their weird aesthetic fetish for no slots on laptops, but on the back of a desktop machine? That’s just purposefully taking the piss. It must cost about 3 USD to include these days, and anyone with a camera of any sort would use it constantly.

In Apple's view though, your iPhone's iPictures are being automatically iUploaded to your iCloud though, so your iMac can iAccess them all from there.

If you're not using any of that tech then that's on you, you can't blame Apple for that, as per the prevailing opinions in this thread.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #5829 on: April 24, 2021, 05:34:50 pm »
Mine is mid-2012 and running Catalina. Replaced the optical disc with 500GB SSD, upgraded to 8GB RAM. It's still a fantastic machine, using it daily, for all work/personal online needs. Processing speed is okay for what I need. OS upgrades have hit their limit but this will serve as a decent back-up machine when I do upgrade to M1. Any MBP up to and including 2016 is worth looking at for people using their first macs. I am still on the lookout locally for a decent 2016 MBP, which is slimmer, has the better speakers (they backtracked n the shit speakers used in the 2012 model) and still has the decent keyboards and processors plus the ports needed for peripherals. Might do that as opposed to splashing out on an M1 just yet.........

Beginning slowly to accept that this MBP is a brick, compared with newer versions ;)

I'm seriously am thinking of going over to the M1 from my MBP 2013 model - seen the comparisions between even a 2015 MBP and the new M1 - and it looks light years ahead.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5830 on: April 24, 2021, 06:14:11 pm »
In Apple's view though, your iPhone's iPictures are being automatically iUploaded to your iCloud though, so your iMac can iAccess them all from there.

If you're not using any of that tech then that's on you, you can't blame Apple for that, as per the prevailing opinions in this thread.

iMacs are often used by creative professionals. Macbook Pro was the laptop of choice for photographers and videographers for ages. These are the people who were buying Apple machines before iPhone dug them out of the hole. Now I guess they are ‘legacy fans’ and can go fuck themselves or buy an overpriced, ugly dongle hub.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5831 on: April 24, 2021, 08:06:05 pm »
Bit of a strange one with the RAM upgrade...

Tried putting the two 8GB modules in an got the 3 beeps on start-up. Checked they were in properly, tried again, got the same.

Tried each module on it's own. They both work in the top slot, so neither are faulty, but neither work in the bottom slot.

Tried my 4GB modules again and both slots are working fine with those. I can also have a 4GB in bottom slot and 8GB in top and this works no problem.

I'm guessing the new modules aren't sitting correctly in the second slot for some reason (although tried and tried and tried putting them in and out). Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5832 on: April 25, 2021, 06:33:08 am »
iMacs are often used by creative professionals. Macbook Pro was the laptop of choice for photographers and videographers for ages. These are the people who were buying Apple machines before iPhone dug them out of the hole. Now I guess they are ‘legacy fans’ and can go fuck themselves or buy an overpriced, ugly dongle hub.
Amen

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5833 on: April 25, 2021, 07:31:26 am »

Now I have an Apple computer that I own myself, it's overpriced and massively quirky

I was building a C++ app yesterday that works on every version of Linux I own (Mint, Centos 6, Centos 7, Ubuntu) on my windows machines, on my Windows WSL 2 machines, on my old Ataris, on my old Amigas and even my Hercules Mainframe compiler... And it doesn't work on the Mac.

Bizarre
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5834 on: April 25, 2021, 09:42:44 am »
Now I have an Apple computer that I own myself, it's overpriced and massively quirky

I was building a C++ app yesterday that works on every version of Linux I own (Mint, Centos 6, Centos 7, Ubuntu) on my windows machines, on my Windows WSL 2 machines, on my old Ataris, on my old Amigas and even my Hercules Mainframe compiler... And it doesn't work on the Mac.

Bizarre

Remember you've been told in here before, you can't blame Apple for your own problems. It's up to everyone else to make things work on a Mac.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5835 on: April 25, 2021, 09:55:40 am »
Bit of a strange one with the RAM upgrade...

Tried putting the two 8GB modules in an got the 3 beeps on start-up. Checked they were in properly, tried again, got the same.

Tried each module on it's own. They both work in the top slot, so neither are faulty, but neither work in the bottom slot.

Tried my 4GB modules again and both slots are working fine with those. I can also have a 4GB in bottom slot and 8GB in top and this works no problem.

I'm guessing the new modules aren't sitting correctly in the second slot for some reason (although tried and tried and tried putting them in and out). Unless anyone has any other ideas?

This sounds eerily familiar, like something I ran into early last year when investigating upgrades to our 2010 MBP estate with stuff we had lying around from old Windows laptops (plan was to go to SSDs and 8GB). I think it turned out the RAM speed we had was too high and when both slots had the 4GB modules it failed to boot.

I've found this site to be excellent when planning out upgrades:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i5-2.3-mid-2011-specs.html

I don't know if that's your model (there's another one with a slightly faster i5). Another page on there mentions RAM type as PC3-10600 DDR3.

Another thing that might help is flashing a firmware update onto it.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5836 on: April 25, 2021, 11:36:43 am »
Yeah its the 2.5 not 2.3. It’s def the right memory though, double checked on that site though and they’re right.

Looking online it def seems like it’s a semi common issue with the bottom slot not sitting quite right. Going to have a mess around this afternoon and see if I can sort it before returning them and trying another set.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5838 on: April 28, 2021, 08:15:28 am »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5839 on: April 28, 2021, 08:38:19 am »
Now, will that make the M1 machines cheaper? ;D (potentially two reasons to hold fire on buying new!)

There are M1 Airs and Minis on the refurb store... :D