Author Topic: Liverpool pick up extension for new Stanley Park stadium from council  (Read 28088 times)

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
Re: Liverpool pick up extension for new Stanley Park stadium from council
« Reply #40 on: September 7, 2011, 04:48:43 am »
I reckon they will sell the naming rights to Anfield and rebuild the Main Stand and Anny Rd end.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Alucard

• Tnuoc
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 7, 2011, 04:57:07 am »
I reckon they will sell the naming rights to Anfield and rebuild the Main Stand and Anny Rd end.

I'd love that to happen but with all the red tape involved in getting this to happen, I really don't think it'll happen any time soon.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: September 7, 2011, 08:40:48 am »
I am pretty sure they said they will not sell naming rights unless we decide to build a new stadium, i.e, Anfield will not be renamed. Naming rights for the stand however might be up for grabs.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 7, 2011, 09:14:10 am »
Im ready to be slated but i reckon deciding to stay at Anfield will come back and bite us on the arse long term.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #44 on: September 7, 2011, 11:04:05 am »
Im ready to be slated but i reckon deciding to stay at Anfield will come back and bite us on the arse long term.
its possible and I'm not gonna slate you for it, but there's plenty of situations that could arise positive and negative from sticking to our current home.

If we do stay, I agree with the sentiment above that stands will be giving naming rights rather than the whole ground. Possibly bring more income
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #45 on: September 7, 2011, 11:24:32 am »

I agree. Im all for staying as long as the LONG term expansion can be achieved - i.e. down the line it being possible without all this hassle once again to expand either the Centenary or Kop, etc.

And Ayre has come out and said Anfield will not be renamed no matter what. Stands may be but to be honest it really doesn't bring in all that much.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #46 on: September 7, 2011, 11:40:26 am »
Im assuming that if naming rights are sold for stands, that this will not include the Kop?

Please tell me this is correct!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47 on: September 7, 2011, 11:48:33 am »
Im assuming that if naming rights are sold for stands, that this will not include the Kop?

Please tell me this is correct!

I can't imagine the club selling naming rights for the Kop if they are not willing to sell the naming rights to Anfield as a whole.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 7, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »
How much is advertising on the seating worth? You know the way it says "LFC" or "ADIDAS" in white on the seats. Wonder if advertisers would be interested in that. It wouldnt be visible when the stadium is full but usually for pre-match etc you can see it on the tv.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #49 on: September 7, 2011, 02:32:36 pm »
How much is advertising on the seating worth? You know the way it says "LFC" or "ADIDAS" in white on the seats. Wonder if advertisers would be interested in that. It wouldnt be visible when the stadium is full but usually for pre-match etc you can see it on the tv.
its not new, audis logo appears on uniteds bench when subs and whiskey nose go walkies to complain about pennos

so it gets great exposure
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 7, 2011, 02:48:11 pm »

I don't know. With the way things are going, the importance of match day revenue is declining with respect to tv rights (although match day revenue is still quite high now, the trend is changing a bit). The thing I think a bigger stadium might provide in the long term that a smaller 60k stadium cant, is the possibility of cheap tickets so more people can watch the games.

A 60k stadium with many more corporate boxes (as they generate much more revenue) may be enough for 15-20 years, and by then TV rights will have probably overtaken stadium revenues anyway. So maybe it is not worth it to build an entire stadium?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #51 on: September 7, 2011, 03:15:36 pm »
Match day revenue will always be important, just look at United where it brings in over £100m, roughly a 3rd of all their revenue. That's no small fry amount or % of overall income.

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 7, 2011, 09:36:12 pm »
And Ayre has come out and said Anfield will not be renamed no matter what. Stands may be but to be honest it really doesn't bring in all that much.

Where was that mate?

Offline redhot-robbie

• Kopite
  • and could he play!
« Reply #53 on: September 7, 2011, 09:38:07 pm »
They have said that if we stay at Anfield then there will not be any naming rights.  No way will they look at renaming stands and even if tghey did they would not change the name of the kop because of its history.

"What you achieve in life, echoes in eternity"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #54 on: September 7, 2011, 11:10:44 pm »
Despite the statement a few weeks ago we are not really any the wiser about what's going to happen.

Knowing FSG there will be an announcement out of the blue and bulldozers will move in the same day and start work.

I don't know what the right decision is, I think maybe they're the best people to make it though.

I guess with the extension exporting soon something might come out soon....who knows.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 8, 2011, 08:58:50 am »
Match day revenue will always be important, just look at United where it brings in over £100m, roughly a 3rd of all their revenue. That's no small fry amount or % of overall income.

The trend is that matchday revenue is losing its % of overall income. So it might make sense to instead of investing 300-400M£ in constructing a new stadium, invest 100 (?) so in upgrading Anfield to around 60k (which means we will still be short of our potential 70k), but keeping the 200M and investing it in players, increasing commercial opportunities and expanding revenue streams may be a better option?

Of course this is all guesses, only FSG really know all the details in front of them. If we can get half the deal that Farmers provided, naming rights might not only compensate for the costs but make it the better option financially.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #56 on: September 8, 2011, 09:32:19 am »
The trend is that matchday revenue is losing its % of overall income. So it might make sense to instead of investing 300-400M£ in constructing a new stadium, invest 100 (?) so in upgrading Anfield to around 60k (which means we will still be short of our potential 70k), but keeping the 200M and investing it in players, increasing commercial opportunities and expanding revenue streams may be a better option?

Of course this is all guesses, only FSG really know all the details in front of them. If we can get half the deal that Farmers provided, naming rights might not only compensate for the costs but make it the better option financially.

Whilst it brings in roughly a 3rd of overall income, as it will for United for the foreseeable future, then it's going to be important. Christ even if it is only bringing in a 5th it'll be important.

Yeah we could save the money and expand other areas, but would still leave us £60-70m a year behind any club with a decent stadium who is maximising their income from that stream.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 8, 2011, 10:02:06 am »
We are 60-70m£ behind right now with a 44k stadium. If we expand Anfield that will decrease a lot (guessing maybe 30m£).

The question is it worth the effort and money to build a new stadium for that extra 30m a year. I would say that increasing commercial revenue is much more important (after expanding Anfield). I guess it really depends on getting good naming rights however.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58 on: September 8, 2011, 10:47:51 am »
We are 60-70m£ behind right now with a 44k stadium. If we expand Anfield that will decrease a lot (guessing maybe 30m£).

The question is it worth the effort and money to build a new stadium for that extra 30m a year. I would say that increasing commercial revenue is much more important (after expanding Anfield). I guess it really depends on getting good naming rights however.

The problem is, doing just one would still leave us behind.

We need to both expand commercially and stadium wise to compete, as we are behind in both areas at the moment.

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
« Reply #59 on: September 8, 2011, 01:26:50 pm »
Juve will play their first game in their new stadium this week and a lovely little stadium it is too. €100m for a 41k seater with 120 executive boxes. I think the people posting £400m for a 60k stadium are mad. I'd say we could build a new 60k stadium for £250m. With the right naming partner , a new stadium wouldnt be so devastatig to the club.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 8, 2011, 03:47:41 pm »
Juve will play their first game in their new stadium this week and a lovely little stadium it is too. €100m for a 41k seater with 120 executive boxes. I think the people posting £400m for a 60k stadium are mad. I'd say we could build a new 60k stadium for £250m. With the right naming partner , a new stadium wouldnt be so devastatig to the club.

Theres qualified architects who say it will cost £400 million or there abouts. I see where your coming from and it does sound crazy that 50% more seats can cost four times as much, but they are the experts so id guess that they are right.

Also, the cost of the Emirates provides a good guide as to how much it will cost for a new stadium.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: September 8, 2011, 06:08:18 pm »
Theres qualified architects who say it will cost £400 million or there abouts. I see where your coming from and it does sound crazy that 50% more seats can cost four times as much, but they are the experts so id guess that they are right.

Also, the cost of the Emirates provides a good guide as to how much it will cost for a new stadium.
I think I read here that Emirates cost less than £400m , including the land and the relocation of the businesses that were on the site of Ashburton grove. Also included in this price was the infrastructure around the stadium including roads and bridges, and the stadium was built when construction cost were peaking and before any resession. I maybe wrong but i'd strongly doubt we would pay £400m for a 60000 seater stadium in Stanley Park.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 8, 2011, 07:01:39 pm »
I think I read here that Emirates cost less than £400m , including the land and the relocation of the businesses that were on the site of Ashburton grove. Also included in this price was the infrastructure around the stadium including roads and bridges, and the stadium was built when construction cost were peaking and before any resession. I maybe wrong but i'd strongly doubt we would pay £400m for a 60000 seater stadium in Stanley Park.

Apparently it was £470m, including the other costs you mention.

Construction started more than 7 years ago, so you also have to take inflation into account.

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
« Reply #63 on: September 8, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »

Construction started more than 7 years ago, so you also have to take inflation into account.
ok hand up, I was wrong about the cost.   :wave

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 9, 2011, 08:18:30 am »
I can't imagine the club selling naming rights for the Kop if they are not willing to sell the naming rights to Anfield as a whole.

The Kop?

Oh shit, I know the stand you mean, I still think of it as the McNasty's Family Stand.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 9, 2011, 12:27:04 pm »

I would guess that things like steel prices are much higher then they were 7 years ago too.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 9, 2011, 12:31:30 pm »
I would guess that things like steel prices are much higher then they were 7 years ago too.
would it not come down a bit with construction industry going tits up recently

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 9, 2011, 02:12:50 pm »
would it not come down a bit with construction industry going tits up recently

Im no expert here, but from what i know things like steel prices are usually based on international commodity prices (like gold and oil), so while our construction industry has gone tits up there is still construction going on in places like China that keep demand and prices up.

But my point was specifically aimed at the increases since the Emirates construction 7 years ago, and during that time we saw a world wide boom in construction and a significant increase in most commodity prices.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: September 9, 2011, 02:57:58 pm »
‘If Anfield cannot be expanded a new stadium is wonderful choice. But the fact is we already have 45,000 seats. If a new stadium is constructed with 60,000 seats you’ve spent an incredible sum of money to add just 15,000 seats.’ Henry answered when asked about the progress on building a new ground, adding: ‘If the cost is £300m for an extra 15,000 seats, that doesn’t make any sense at all. Liverpool isn’t London, you can’t charge £1 million for a long-term club seat.’

These are recent quotes fron JH. The first is basically him saying what I believed since I joined the debate. It think that if we can stay at Anfield ,we should but now even our principle owner has his doubts. And he describes the choice to move to a new stadium as "wonderful".
 There is one thing about these quotes that i'm a little suspect about and have been for a while. He says we already have 45000 seats and to add another 15000 would cost £300m (not £400m+ as some people say). Well the problem there is , we wouldnt simple be adding 15000 seats, we would be adding 15k seats(hopefully more in the future), over 100 exec boxes, more toilets, bars, restaurants, shops and all incorperated in a new build which could be our home for the next 100 years.
He is implying that if we stay at Anfield an extra 15k seats is far less costly, which it is but it also poses questions. Do we really have 45000 seats and we simply take the roof of the Main and Annie rd stand and build behind them like Peter's says. Peter believes this is posible and I have to say it theory its probably easily done. My concern is the Main stand. The position of the stand stops us from having the required field demensions of 105x68 plus 6m either side and 8m either end of the pitch. If we were to tackle this problem, it would require removing several rows of the Main stand. The Main stand is very old and i'm not sure if it can be brought up to standard and future proofed so as it will last another 100 years. There have been rumours coming fom ITKs and even from the tour guides that, should we stay at Anfield, both the Main and Annie rd stands would have to be demolished which brings me to my question. Do we really have 45000 seats??? If we level these 2 stands we must add 36000 more seats, new roof,  extra exec boxes, tiolets, bars, rest etc... not to mention the loss of match day revenue. And if we do take this route, how long will it take to obtain planning ?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #69 on: September 9, 2011, 03:05:42 pm »
I don't think its even in doubt that if we stay and expand Anfield then knocking down and rebuilding the Main and Anny are the way it will be done.

There are ways to do this without too much disruption, and also ways to incorporate the extra seating, boxes, amenities and pitch size according to Peter and co on here. They would have to be bloody big stands though going off what current stands across the PL look like which hold that amount - for example the centenary and Kop currently hold just under 25,000 people and as you say the two new stands would have to hold nearly half that again.

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
« Reply #70 on: September 9, 2011, 03:05:47 pm »
Im no expert here, but from what i know things like steel prices are usually based on international commodity prices (like gold and oil), so while our construction industry has gone tits up there is still construction going on in places like China that keep demand and prices up.

But my point was specifically aimed at the increases since the Emirates construction 7 years ago, and during that time we saw a world wide boom in construction and a significant increase in most commodity prices.
I'm no expert either but other than China the construction has not been booming since 2006/7. Infact in a lot of countries ,construction has basically stopped since the crisis in 2008.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 9, 2011, 03:09:06 pm »

true

thought both might be linked but how and ever im no expert

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
« Reply #72 on: September 9, 2011, 03:10:56 pm »
I don't think its even in doubt that if we stay and expand Anfield then knocking down and rebuilding the Main and Anny are the way it will be done.

There are ways to do this without too much disruption, and also ways to incorporate the extra seating, boxes, amenities and pitch size according to Peter and co on here. They would have to be bloody big stands though going off what current stands across the PL look like which hold that amount - for example the centenary and Kop currently hold just under 25,000 people and as you say the two new stands would have to hold nearly half that again.
They would indeed have to be big stands, i'd like to know how to build these "bloody big" stands without causing to much disruption and when will these stands be built? Maybe the experts on here can tell us?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #73 on: September 9, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »
Peter was on about building all you can behind the current stands during the season, then during the summer you take down the old one and finish the new one off.

Personally I am dubious this can be done with zero effect on capacity, but Im no expert so it could easily be to be honest.

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
« Reply #74 on: September 9, 2011, 03:29:02 pm »
Peter was on about building all you can behind the current stands during the season, then during the summer you take down the old one and finish the new one off.

Personally I am dubious this can be done with zero effect on capacity, but Im no expert so it could easily be to be honest.
Yeah I remember him explaining it and it sounds good in theory but i'm a bit sceptical , mostly because of health and safety during costruction and the structural integrity of the Main stand during renovations and for the next 10 years. Speaking of Peter , where has he been for the last few weeks. Oooooooooh! maybe he is in secret talks with the club about his plans :)

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 9, 2011, 03:56:35 pm »
I'm no expert either but other than China the construction has not been booming since 2006/7. Infact in a lot of countries ,construction has basically stopped since the crisis in 2008.

Add in Brazil, India and Germany (although its slowing in Germany i believe) as economies that are still growing, and the fact that the pound had dropped massivly in value against the USD against which most commodities are priced over the last 2-3 years, I would say its reasonably fair to assume material costs are more now then they were when the Emirates was built.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2011, 11:06:51 am »
So does this mean we are inching closer towards Stanley Park?
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11669_7173977,00.html

I was a bit worried that he didn't deny ground-sharing with Everton stronger. If that makes any sense.

Offline -Q-

• What's the Q for? The workhouse for the poor and the gallows for the left.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2011, 01:04:20 pm »

Steel prices are significantly down due to a reduction in construction across the Western world, plus construction is not experiencing the boom it was, so the cost would be reduced - however the financial climate has changed as well and borrowing the money to fund the stadium would also cost more (and naming rights could be lowered in the recession).  However, as construction costs go, it will be cheaper to build the stadium now, than we were quoted in 2008.  But it all depends on the design, the number of seats etc.  If we are going to build a new stadium, now is as good a time as any. 
Welcome to Liverpool Brendan Rodgers
Quote from: Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool Football Club is the heartland of football folklore...     Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game...     I will fight for my life for the supporters and the people of this city

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »
So does this mean we are inching closer towards Stanley Park?
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11669_7173977,00.html

I was a bit worried that he didn't deny ground-sharing with Everton stronger. If that makes any sense.

There's a possibility that we'll build a stadium on SP? Tell us something we don't know, Tom. Starting to get frustrated with the lack of movement on this again, seems to be more spin and deflect
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Yakyb

• Kopite
  • Wirralien Born and Bred
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2011, 01:59:37 pm »
so on june 19th a 3 month extension was granted does this mean we are likely to see some form of press release / council statement on the 19th of this month?