Author Topic: The Daniel Sturridge  (Read 290415 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #360 on: August 3, 2018, 10:19:02 am »
Well on goals scored (and assists) he’s still offered more than Solanke has been able to in competitive games.

So whilst I agree he’s no Sturridge of old, or at least hasn’t shown he can adapt his game in a competitive match yet, he’s still offered more final product than Solanke has (in all be it a small amount of minutes for both).

How many has Sturridge scored?

One against West Ham in the 4-0 at the end of the season before last and one against Arsenal at the start of this last season? Am I missing any? That's with, I think, many more appearances than Solanke too.

Since this stems from starting a match, rather than as a sub, that would also rule out the fourth (or was it fifth?) against Arsenal from comparisons. I don't think Sturridge scored for West Brom on any starts either, which is fair enough as he was injured for most of it

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #361 on: August 3, 2018, 10:23:33 am »
How many has Sturridge scored?

One against West Ham in the 4-0 at the end of the season before last and one against Arsenal at the start of this last season? Am I missing any? That's with, I think, many more appearances than Solanke too.

In the last 3 years, as you said... 3 and 3 assists last season (514 mins - 5 starts), 3 and 1 assist the season before that (769 mins - 7 starts) and 11 and 2 assists before that (1460 mins - 17 starts).

Solanke 1 and 1 assist (619 mins - 5 starts).

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: August 3, 2018, 12:27:28 pm »
In the last 3 years, as you said... 3 and 3 assists last season (514 mins - 5 starts), 3 and 1 assist the season before that (769 mins - 7 starts) and 11 and 2 assists before that (1460 mins - 17 starts).

Solanke 1 and 1 assist (619 mins - 5 starts).

I looked it up and he got 2 last season (I was talking about league goals but understand if I wasn't specific enough about it). One as a sub against Arsenal, one starting against Huddersfield. The 3rd is him coming on as a sub and scoring in the 7-0 against Maribor.

Anyway I think that given that Solanke is clearly developing and improving, and Sturridge's body is less equipped to play the Firmino role, it's not exactly an outlandish statement to suggest he should (and I expect would) be ahead of Sturridge in the queue for the West Ham game.

Last season both of them scored one goal in games they started. In the five games that Sturridge started last year, we only scored more than one goal as a team in one of them (Huddersfield, 3-0), so it's not like the team suddenly leaps up in goal threat with him playing.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: August 3, 2018, 01:29:44 pm »
If Daniel keeps playing well in the next two games,if Bobby isn't ready, he'll start. Imo very unlikely that SOlanke will get the nod ahead of him

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: August 3, 2018, 01:44:11 pm »
If Daniel keeps playing well in the next two games,if Bobby isn't ready, he'll start. Imo very unlikely that SOlanke will get the nod ahead of him

Fair enough. Certainly wouldn't be a shock, but personally speaking I'd rather be bringing Sturridge on against tired legs on 65-70 minutes than from the start

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #365 on: August 3, 2018, 02:01:18 pm »
This is about the time last year that Sturridge (02 August) and Lallana (31 July) had both impressed and then got injured....

Holding thumbs then

Why are people saying Sturridge impressed in preseason last year? He was injured for a lot of it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #366 on: August 3, 2018, 02:05:03 pm »
I put £100 on him still being a liverpool player at the end of Aug so fully expect him to either go out on loan or be sold at 11.59
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #367 on: August 4, 2018, 07:41:08 pm »
Safe to say he's well better than Wba.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: August 4, 2018, 07:51:27 pm »
Sharp as a razor.
If universe gives him a year without injuries - we could be (again) the most lethal team in Europe.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #369 on: August 4, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »
We need to talk about Daniel Sturridge  ;D

Anyone reckons he starts v Hammers?
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: August 4, 2018, 07:53:23 pm »
We need to talk about Daniel Sturridge  ;D

Anyone reckons he starts v Hammers?

No.
But he scores a brace in the second half.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: August 4, 2018, 07:57:00 pm »
Keep knocking on wood lads.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: August 4, 2018, 08:01:10 pm »
Ridiculously talented. You can't give him time and space when he drops into that number 10 slot because he'll turn and find the right through ball nine times out of ten.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #373 on: August 4, 2018, 08:07:46 pm »
Fair enough. Certainly wouldn't be a shock, but personally speaking I'd rather be bringing Sturridge on against tired legs on 65-70 minutes than from the start
The problem with Sturridge is that he means a big compromise in terms of our counter-press. That is probably a compromise worth making at times in matches and during the season - but 1st game? Against a team that will likely be fit, raring to go and with new signings and players desperate to make an impression for the manager? It's a tough one. No doubt that Sturridge is the one more likely to pick a lock if he gets on the ball, but there's also no doubt that Solanke is a far better option in terms of helping us get and keep that ball in the first place. I doubt it's a foregone conclusion either way, but no doubt a dilemna that Klopp would be delighted to have, given the situation in previous seasons.

He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: August 4, 2018, 08:08:36 pm »
I put £100 on him still being a liverpool player at the end of Aug so fully expect him to either go out on loan or be sold at 11.59
Clever bet, that.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #375 on: August 4, 2018, 08:09:47 pm »
No.
But he scores a brace in the second half.

I'd take that.

My old man has seen all the best no.9s at Liverpool (including St. John) but still reckons Sturridge is the best he's seen. "Dances round the ball!" as he always says!
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: August 4, 2018, 08:10:31 pm »
Sharp as a razor.
If universe gives him a year without injuries - we could be (again) the most lethal team in Europe.

I think we already are the most lethal. If Danny stays fit, we might be done for excessively cruel and unusual punishment on several occasions.  ;D
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: August 4, 2018, 08:14:08 pm »

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: August 4, 2018, 08:20:36 pm »
If he didn't have fitness issues, he would be a starter. He really is that good.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: August 4, 2018, 08:21:39 pm »
If he didn't have fitness issues, he would be a starter. He really is that good.

He will certainly give Klopp a headache.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #380 on: August 4, 2018, 08:30:23 pm »
This is what people keep forgetting. Last two years he spent tons and tons of time on the bench fit and unused - his problem is fitting into the team as much as his fitness.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #381 on: August 4, 2018, 08:38:31 pm »
This is what people keep forgetting. Last two years he spent tons and tons of time on the bench fit and unused - his problem is fitting into the team as much as his fitness.

He's clearly made an effort to do more off the ball work this pre season, and seems to have accepted that he's firmly second choice. He looks sharp and motivated - feels different from the last 2 years. There's also a lot less pressure on him. We already have a front 3 of world beaters. Sturridge has the quality to give the manager a headache. If he stays fit, he'll have a resurgence.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: August 4, 2018, 08:38:46 pm »

Just over 2-1
Yep, given how much of his contract is left, given what happened at WBA, given that his wages are probably affordable for us as a back up, but a massive fucking risk if you need him to lead the line for you...good call at good odds.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: August 4, 2018, 08:40:05 pm »

His injury issues prior to that meant Klopp had lost faith in him which is why he spent so much time on the bench as we moved on from him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: August 4, 2018, 08:42:24 pm »
He looks sharp and motivated - feels different from the last 2 years. There's also a lot less pressure on him.
Maybe West Brom was also a massive wake up call in terms of the idea that, with a body he can't rely on, it's much better to be wrapped in cotton wool at a club where he could still be a difference-maker in the biggest games, even if he doesn't get the most minutes, rather than being flogged to death as a first-teamer and still be in a situation where you don't get many minutes and have no chance of making a difference.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: August 4, 2018, 08:55:40 pm »
I think I sense a change in mentality in his interviews too. Before he'd talk about how he wanted to aim to be the best striker in the world. He'd always bring up that he wanted to average a goal a game. Whilst he had the talent, unfortunately his body never allowed him to get there. Now I think he's looking at his career in a different light. Putting less pressure on himself and enjoying playing at this level. I think that sort of shows in his playing style now as well. He was always seen as a selfish player up until recently. Or at least someone who tries to do too much. Now I think he is almost a perfect playmaking number 9 in terms of style of play. It's rare you get frustrated with his decision making. And he has the intelligence and technical ability to pick out some stunning passes.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2018, 08:59:58 pm by groove »

Online Lubeh

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: August 4, 2018, 08:56:33 pm »
I also think a few may want to stay as they can see this is a side that is going to win honours, I truly believe that, as Klopp himself said this is not a stepping stone club anymore this is a club player want to play for, and in the case of studge I believe he deserves it at least for this season to have a chance of winning something with us

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: August 4, 2018, 09:01:33 pm »
I also think a few may want to stay as they can see this is a side that is going to win honours, I truly believe that, as Klopp himself said this is not a stepping stone club anymore this is a club player want to play for...
Good point. The way Klopp had Dortmund playing was incredible, but it's a massive handicap if your direct rival can take your best players, let alone the inability to financially compete with Europe's elite. We can't outspend the latter, but we're in the tier below - which gives us a chance to beat them by being cleverer - but the massive thing is that a Liverpool at the top of it's game doesn't lose players to it's domestic rivals in the same way. It's possible that heads might be turned by Real, Barca, PSG or maaaaaaaayyybe Bayern, but that's it, and then for massive, massive fees.

This is like Klopp's Dortmund but with better players in every position, a deeper squad, a higher ceiling and no shark circling in the same pond.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: August 4, 2018, 09:19:16 pm »
he would be close to a legend here if it was not for injurys... such talent...

realy hope he will stay strong and healthy now...

Offline Thormo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #389 on: August 4, 2018, 09:52:25 pm »
I figure we will see Sturridge a lot (if fit) in games versus opponents sitting deep parking the buss where counter pressing might be less of an issue. He has been amazing this pre season.

He might be the super sub we have been missing for years.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #390 on: August 4, 2018, 11:49:06 pm »
I think he is the key to the season, if he stays fit our depth is huge, if not, we’re pretty thin. He is such a
classy footballer he deserves one more season where he doesn’t fall apart
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: August 4, 2018, 11:51:57 pm »
That 60 yard pass for Moreno's pass was monstrous. Think Sturridge could become the next Pirlo, were he that way inclined.

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: August 4, 2018, 11:59:53 pm »
We could have four 20-goal a season forwards if he stays fit
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: August 5, 2018, 12:10:39 am »
I think he is the key to the season, if he stays fit our depth is huge, if not, we’re pretty thin. He is such a
classy footballer he deserves one more season where he doesn’t fall apart

If Shaqiri plays like he did tonight, we'll be fine.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: August 5, 2018, 12:39:15 am »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: August 5, 2018, 02:41:10 am »
This version of Sturridge is setting himself up for success. He appears to understand clearly what’s the score and accept the fact that he is not the Danny Sturridge at the peak of his powers anymore. He is not looking to be the first name on the team sheet (or competing for the domination with Luis Suarez). He is not expecting to play week in week out. He is not looking to be the #1 England striker. Heck ... he may not even care whether he plays for England again or not. I think Sturridge now knows his place and his role in this team and he is looking to contribute. That WBA loan was a learning experience that made him long to be part of this great group of players again. And these are why Sturridge will be a success this season
« Last Edit: August 5, 2018, 02:42:41 am by MNAA »
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #396 on: August 5, 2018, 03:13:21 am »
This version of Sturridge is setting himself up for success. He appears to understand clearly what’s the score and accept the fact that he is not the Danny Sturridge at the peak of his powers anymore. He is not looking to be the first name on the team sheet (or competing for the domination with Luis Suarez). He is not expecting to play week in week out. He is not looking to be the #1 England striker. Heck ... he may not even care whether he plays for England again or not. I think Sturridge now knows his place and his role in this team and he is looking to contribute. That WBA loan was a learning experience that made him long to be part of this great group of players again. And these are why Sturridge will be a success this season

Good stuff
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: August 5, 2018, 03:32:44 am »
Yeah hope so. Sturridge is still one of the more intelligent players in the squad. He just seems to know where the ball is going to be  before defenders, you can't teach that.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: August 5, 2018, 03:58:21 am »
He's looking great pre-season and ready for the new campaign. I think over the last couple of seasons the pressure on him to perform as our main striker has been too much for him as he adapts his game, however with the front three now being in the limelight it's allowing him to redevelop his game. His role as support act suits him well now, and without that constant pressure to perform I think we will actually see him flourish.

Sometimes it's better to be a great Robin than a shit Batman, and he now realises that.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: August 5, 2018, 04:07:44 am »
We could have four 20-goal a season forwards if he stays fit

Hahha,  based on what?

Sturridge wont get anywhere near that
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.