Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 519682 times)

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6400 on: March 29, 2024, 11:28:41 am »
Hopefully we stay well clear of De Zerbi. Genuinely gobsmacked he’s even in the running for the job. Seems like an Italian Rodgers who can’t set up a defence and clueless in European football. To be fair the options aren’t really that great. Anyone who comes in will be a massive gamble now

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6401 on: March 29, 2024, 11:28:50 am »
Nagelsmann and the DFB are in negotiations about a contract extention anyway.

I don’t think he’s going to leave after the summer, things actaully look far more positive for the German national team at the moment.  He’s got plenty of time to go back to club management. I think he stays with them for the Euros and world cup.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6402 on: March 29, 2024, 11:31:15 am »

I don’t think he’s going to leave after the summer, things actaully look far more positive for the German national team at the moment.  He’s got plenty of time to go back to club management. I think he stays with them for the Euros and world cup.

Hopefully he signs it. Don't want that tool anywhere near the club.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6403 on: March 29, 2024, 11:32:47 am »
Basically it comes down to 'everyone's a risk' but let's pick Amorim because he's the only one who's not a bellend.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6404 on: March 29, 2024, 11:33:34 am »
Amorim has big club experience.

Managing Sporting in Lisbon comes with a huge amount of pressure.  He's also managed consistently in European competition for the last 4 seasons.

If we want a seasoned manager then we'd be better going for an older head. I don't think we want that personally. I think a progressive style of play that suits the current squad is the main determinant, with some evidence that it can be translated to success on the ptich (even if that's a level below the top tier European leagues).

I'm relatively sanguine about. We have a structure we trust at the club. That will be making the important decisions on manager and squad composition this summer. The current playing squad is excellent. Top 5 in World football. Just having a competent coach would get us CL qualification on a regular basis. Winning the league? That's a whole different matter when Pep is in charge at City. Even with Klopp we've only done that once in 7 seasons (could easily end up being once in 8 seasons). That shows the hurdle in that regard and even with Klopp for another 2-3 seasons I'm not sure how easy it would be to win the league. Probably not very easy would be my guess. So getting someone in who can get us 2nd or 3rd is the minimum aim. I think there's a number of managers out there who can do that.

Maybe it is unfair with my experience of Portuguese football but I see Sporting as a big club in the same sense Celtic are - your best players still go to midtable PL sides and in Europe you are expected to do decent but not win.

The leap in size from Sporting to Liverpool is like the Earth and Jupiter

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #6405 on: March 29, 2024, 11:36:46 am »
I do find the criticism of De Zerbi bizarre.

His side were utterly brilliant to watch last season on the back of spending complete peanuts.  Sometimes a manager can get a one off good finish off a terrible budget but 95% of the time it will be through playing 11 men behind the ball, shit on a stick hoofball. De Zerbi did it through playing the most expansive, play out from the back, high pressing football in the league.

Look at the players Brighton have had to sell - White, Bissouma, Trossard, Caecido, Mac Allister to name but a few.  Now look at the big players at Brighton who have spent the majority of this season injured - Estupinian, March, Mitoma, Enciso.  Look at the quality of all those players lost combined and De Zerbi still has Brighton 8th, still playing great, expansive, attacking football.

This isn't a league like Portugal where any manager can come and guarantee to be in the top 3 if hes managing Porto, Benfica, Sporting.  This is now comfortably the best league on the planet.  De Zerbi has had his hands tied behind his back with a paltry budget and injury crisis and still he is producing results way above his means with one of the most attractive brands of football in the league.  I'll guarantee you this, when De Zerbi leaves Brighton in the summer, whether that be to Liverpool, Bayern, or some other big club, I guarantee you Brighton will plummet down the table and be fighting relegation within a couple of years.

I can't pretend to know much about the guy managing in the Portuguese league but you've always got to be wary about a manager coming in blind to this league, not knowing anything about English football and the specific teams in this league, also with the possibility of a language barrier.  Personally for me, I think De Zerbi ticks a lot of boxes

- knows the premier league
- attractive, high pressing football that suits the current group of players
- speaks good English
- is fresh, at the start of his managerial career
- is passionate and driven
- has proven capability of working on restrained budgets
- has a clear identity and track record of improving players
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:40:08 am by William Regal »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6406 on: March 29, 2024, 11:39:49 am »
I just want to see the meltdown from some on here when he rides his skateboard to training. 

Or when he starts shagging local female journalists and also fall out with the players.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #6407 on: March 29, 2024, 11:40:01 am »

Fuck it, Nagelsmann has Kloppo's dream job, he might as well stay with us for another year or two.  ;)

Do you think that Sebastian Hoeness a live contender?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6408 on: March 29, 2024, 11:40:54 am »
It’s slim pickings in terms of names that will get you excited.

I’ll be satisfied with a project manager, as long as they have a clear strategy. What cost Rodgers was his odd shift from Suarez/Sturridge up top to Lambert, Balotelli and Benteke. He completely forfeited everything that nearly made us successful in 13/14.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #6409 on: March 29, 2024, 11:42:02 am »
Yep Brighton’s underlying numbers even this season have been good but they were under Potter as well, albeit Potter never achieved the attacking numbers De Zerbi’s team put up. I like O’Niell and whilst wolves have done well, he hasnt had his team producing amazing numbers. In that sense Thomas Frank is being a bit overlooked.
If the Alonso rumours are true, which seems likely since it's coming from both Liverpool and Bayern, then I'm quite firmly in the Thomas Frank camp. He's done incredibly well over several seasons, even this season his team is the most underperforming side compared to their expected points. Also the setup at Brentford seems quite similar to ours, and our players should suit his system quite well compared to a possession minded coach.

The Brentford fans seem to be counting their lucky stars that he seemingly isn't in the running.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6411 on: March 29, 2024, 11:44:40 am »
Fuck it, Nagelsmann has Kloppo's dream job, he might as well stay with us for another year or two.  ;)

Do you think that Sebastian Hoeness a live contender?

sort of surprising how little he’s mentioned generally at the moment with coaching jobs to be honest!

If it wans’t for Leverkusen having this mad season, he’d be front and centre, because Stuttgart are having a quite amazing season - more so in a way when you compare the strength of both squads.

He’s only 41. I hope he stays at VfB a while longer, it’s his boyhood club too, all in all a great story! But for sure moving forward, he’s going to get linked with a lot of clubs.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6412 on: March 29, 2024, 11:45:40 am »
Frank tbf I wouldn't call a cold personality, he seems very friendly and honest.

I am honestly on the fence over him vs De Zerbi, but Amorim being miles ahead of both

Yeah, Frank is a good egg. In no way a backing of him to be our manager but he seems a decent bloke.

Trouble Rodgers had I think was that he probably felt like he had to prove himself a lot and was a bit too open all the time in the first season or so. We’ve been so spoilt with Jurgen who from day one had the charisma and the gravitas to basically have everyone onside.

Whoever comes next, even if it had been Xabi would struggle to compete with that.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6413 on: March 29, 2024, 11:46:20 am »
Maybe it is unfair with my experience of Portuguese football but I see Sporting as a big club in the same sense Celtic are - your best players still go to midtable PL sides and in Europe you are expected to do decent but not win.

The leap in size from Sporting to Liverpool is like the Earth and Jupiter

It's the same leap with Leverkusen to Liverpool though. Size of club and pressure that comes with it are massively different. Media and fan pressure are miles different.

It's fair to say you are managing at a higher level in the Bundesliga. Maybe that more translatable to PL than Portuguese league. However, I'd say it's a posotion where you manage under significantly more fan and media pressure at Sporting than Leverkusen. For Amorim, that pressure has also included him coming in with a 10M fee and the spectre of Sporting not winning a league for close to 20 years.

I'm not saying Amorim is better than Alonso. I just don't think either is a slam dunk success, though both are very promising. I think Alonso being an ex-player is a factor in people's evaluation. I also think a lot of people convinced themselves that Alonso joining us was a no-brainer and therefore inevitable. In that regard you accept that as the next logical step and when it doesn't happen it feels a bigger knock back than it potentially is.

I wouldn't have minded Alonso. probably would have chosen him given the choice. But I don;t think the gap between Alonso and a few other managers is as big as others think. I think that gap is also minimised by the current state, stability and quality of the football club.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6414 on: March 29, 2024, 11:47:01 am »

His side were utterly brilliant to watch last season on the back of spending complete peanuts.  Sometimes a manager can get a one off good finish off a terrible budget but 95% of the time it will be through playing 11 men behind the ball, shit on a stick hoofball. De Zerbi did it through playing the most expansive, play out from the back, high pressing football in the league.

Look at the players Brighton have had to sell - White, Bissouma, Trossard, Caecido, Mac Allister to name but a few.  Now look at the big players at Brighton who have spent the majority of this season injured - Estupinian, March, Mitoma, Enciso.  Look at the quality of all those players lost combined and De Zerbi still has Brighton 8th, still playing great, expansive, attacking football.

This isn't a league like Portugal where any manager can come and guarantee to be in the top 3 if hes managing Porto, Benfica, Sporting.  This is now comfortably the best league on the planet.  De Zerbi has had his hands tied behind his back with a paltry budget and injury crisis and still he is producing results way above his means with one of the most attractive brands of football in the league.  I'll guarantee you this, when De Zerbi leaves Brighton in the summer, whether that be to Liverpool, Bayern, or some other big club, I guarantee you Brighton will plummet down the table and be fighting relegation within a couple of years.

I can't pretend to know much about the guy managing in the Portuguese league but you've always got to be wary about a manager coming in blind to this league, not knowing anything about English football and the specific teams in this league, also with the possibility of a language barrier.  Personally for me, I think De Zerbi ticks a lot of boxes

- speaks good English
- has proven capability of working kn restrained budgets

Sorry mate not personal, but honestly I've had it with this absolute fucking bollocks, he is a Potter, a man who has no track record in any elite club what-so-ever in player or manager, he has brought a decent season out of a team with good players, thats fucking it.

Literally in those bold points are most capabilities anyone in world football has, or should have as a basic skill. Even a fucking monkey would tick a few of those boxes, minus the English speaking I'll give you that. The only outstanding point is that he plays high pressing football.

So fucking bored of people trying to bang on about absolute fucking no marks, bad enough we won't get the number one preferred replacement now but if we are hyping up fucking de Zerbi we could also hype up a shit ton of other managers across the rest of europe.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #6415 on: March 29, 2024, 11:47:16 am »
Fair play Xabi lad, shows both loyalty and personal risk if he stays at Leverkusen.

He's basically backing himself to challenge Bayern again and make decent headway in the Champions League.

He's not daft enough to think there'll be a job waiting at Madrid season after next if it all goes tits up.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6416 on: March 29, 2024, 11:47:26 am »

- speaks good English
- has proven capability of working on restrained budgets

Is playing good football enough? It's relatively simple to do so with Brighton, and come away with winning less than 50% of your matches.

Can he be tactically flexible to change games? Can he command the respect of elite players? Can he manage having expectations of winning things and getting top 4 every year? Can he win over what seems like an extremely divided fanbase on him?

Is playing good football in the PL and glorious failure in Europe, with a team admittedly with no right to be there, enough to be Liverpool manager? Because he hasn't shown yet that he can the different challenges he has here, and in fact a lot of results with Brighton this year are a concern - the draws more than anything as that was the killer for Rodgers, a manager with that similar profile - playing good football and not coming away with the goals out pressure may have deserved

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6417 on: March 29, 2024, 11:49:42 am »
If the Alonso rumours are true, which seems likely since it's coming from both Liverpool and Bayern, then I'm quite firmly in the Thomas Frank camp. He's done incredibly well over several seasons, even this season his team is the most underperforming side compared to their expected points. Also the setup at Brentford seems quite similar to ours, and our players should suit his system quite well compared to a possession minded coach.

The Brentford fans seem to be counting their lucky stars that he seemingly isn't in the running.

Now Thomas fucking Frank??

Are people on a wind up in here or what? FML.

It's genuinely the sort of shit we would say in a man united forum on potential managers.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6418 on: March 29, 2024, 11:50:47 am »

It's genuinely the sort of shit we would say in a man united forum on potential managers.

Illustrates the lack of managers.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #6419 on: March 29, 2024, 11:53:21 am »

Exactly, that’s why I always hoped Klopp would at least see out his current contract and hopefully by then another manager may have emerged. But it wasn’t to be so hopefully De Zerbi or whoever can step up!

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6420 on: March 29, 2024, 11:53:57 am »
If the new manager wins they’ll last - if they don’t they won’t
If they win the fans will like them… if they don’t they won’t

Agree

Doesn't really matter what the manager's personality is like as long as you when. Winning is the biggest determinant of whether the fans like a manager or not. How they act outside of that success probably add a bit. Klopp is a good example of that. Shankly and Dalglish in differing ways beforehand. I'm not sure the likes of Paisley, Benitez, Houllier, Evans can be viewed as big personalities. They all got support though. Mainly until the results dried up. The only difference to this was Hodgson. Who got under people's skin by not defending the club and players when it was needed. For trying to dampen expectation. That's different than personality. It was the mark of someone who had never managed at a club like ours with the expectation of success,

Ultimately, I don't mind us having someone who comes across as a nob as manager as long as we win.If any manager comes in and wins the 1st 4 on the bounce, everyone will be behind them straight away. Even if it starts off rocky, we'll give them time as a fanbase as long as they defend the club and don't dampen down expectations to what a mid-table club expects.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6421 on: March 29, 2024, 11:55:24 am »
Agree

Doesn't really matter what the manager's personality is like as long as you when. Winning is the biggest determinant of whether the fans like a manager or not. How they act outside of that success probably add a bit. Klopp is a good example of that. Shankly and Dalglish in differing ways beforehand. I'm not sure the likes of Paisley, Benitez, Houllier, Evans can be viewed as big personalities. They all got support though. Mainly until the results dried up. The only difference to this was Hodgson. Who got under people's skin by not defending the club and players when it was needed. For trying to dampen expectation. That's different than personality. It was the mark of someone who had never managed at a club like ours with the expectation of success,

Ultimately, I don't mind us having someone who comes across as a nob as manager as long as we win.If any manager comes in and wins the 1st 4 on the bounce, everyone will be behind them straight away. Even if it starts off rocky, we'll give them time as a fanbase as long as they defend the club and don't dampen down expectations to what a mid-table club expects.

Whats the minimum achievement for next season?

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6422 on: March 29, 2024, 11:55:57 am »
Not my first choice but the De Zerbi disrespect is real.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6423 on: March 29, 2024, 11:56:01 am »

There is, I agree, but that's why FSG need to be making sure they get the best possible available, that's their job.

If they and others can't convince Xabi, then they need to throw everything at Amorim. After that we might as well get a stop gap in for the season until one of them does become available.

You don't keep going down the line until you reach people who have absolutely no right to be taking over.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6424 on: March 29, 2024, 11:56:24 am »

This is the big issue.

There's a lack of managers and a surplus of big jobs available this summer. A number of teams are going to end up with underwhelming options.

It's been excatly the same for years. It's why United are getting linked to the likes of Southgate and O'Neil. It's not because they think they are elite managers. Just they might be the best available to them. In the same way we'll be picking from a similar pool of options.

Not quite sure what people want us to do given the options available.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #6425 on: March 29, 2024, 11:56:30 am »
Sorry mate not personal, but honestly I've had it with this absolute fucking bollocks, he is a Potter, a man who has no track record in any elite club what-so-ever in player or manager, he has brought a decent season out of a team with good players, thats fucking it.

Literally in those bold points are most capabilities anyone in world football has, or should have as a basic skill. Even a fucking monkey would tick a few of those boxes, minus the English speaking I'll give you that. The only outstanding point is that he plays high pressing football.

So fucking bored of people trying to bang on about absolute fucking no marks, bad enough we won't get the number one preferred replacement now but if we are hyping up fucking de Zerbi we could also hype up a shit ton of other managers across the rest of europe.

What is it do you think that is making De Zerbi one of Bayern Munichs top management targets?

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #6426 on: March 29, 2024, 11:56:51 am »
Is playing good football enough? It's relatively simple to do so with Brighton, and come away with winning less than 50% of your matches.

Can he be tactically flexible to change games? Can he command the respect of elite players? Can he manage having expectations of winning things and getting top 4 every year? Can he win over what seems like an extremely divided fanbase on him?

Is playing good football in the PL and glorious failure in Europe, with a team admittedly with no right to be there, enough to be Liverpool manager? Because he hasn't shown yet that he can the different challenges he has here, and in fact a lot of results with Brighton this year are a concern - the draws more than anything as that was the killer for Rodgers, a manager with that similar profile - playing good football and not coming away with the goals out pressure may have deserved
Glorious failure in Europe? Got through the group and got a tough tie against Roma. All happened in Brighton’s first ever European season. Hardly glorious failure. Doing what he’s doing with Brighton is impressive and judging him after a big injury list and selling two best players is a bit one-eyed.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6427 on: March 29, 2024, 11:58:00 am »
Glorious failure in Europe? Got through the group and got a tough tie against Roma. All happened in Brighton’s first ever European season. Hardly glorious failure. Doing what he’s doing with Brighton is impressive and judging him after a big injury list and selling two best players is a bit one-eyed.

Roma did thrash them to be fair.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6428 on: March 29, 2024, 11:58:44 am »
Find it odd O’Neill is disregarded but people like De Zerbi are not. Must be because he isnt foreignese.

Is it that strange? De Zerbi has delivered Brighton's two best seasons (I think), got them into Europe and through the group stages of the Europa. Think they're probably underperforming this season but still eighth, having lost three very good players for them in Colwill, Caicedo and Mac Allister. He also has a decent track record at other clubs.

Not advocating for him but equally not hard to see why the club would look to him ahead of O'Neil, who is still very new to his managerial career.

Also, perhaps more importantly, Richard Hughes literally sacked him less than a year ago.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6429 on: March 29, 2024, 11:59:57 am »

What is it do you think that is making De Zerbi one of Bayern Munichs top management targets?

Bayern are in a league where they will walk a title in most given years, it's like Mancini or Pellegrini getting the city job, they will likely win the title no matter the season. Comparing that to the Liverpool job is not even in the same solar system.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #6430 on: March 29, 2024, 12:00:23 pm »
Illustrates the generational genius of Pep and Klopp that makes any alternative pale in significance. The bar is almost impossibly high.

That said, there’s a strong whiff of the transfer threads in here - people getting irate at links and rumours while dismissing names because of their lack of glamour.

It’s going to be a long summer with this one, I suspect.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6431 on: March 29, 2024, 12:00:29 pm »
It's the same leap with Leverkusen to Liverpool though. Size of club and pressure that comes with it are massively different. Media and fan pressure are miles different.

It's fair to say you are managing at a higher level in the Bundesliga. Maybe that more translatable to PL than Portuguese league. However, I'd say it's a posotion where you manage under significantly more fan and media pressure at Sporting than Leverkusen. For Amorim, that pressure has also included him coming in with a 10M fee and the spectre of Sporting not winning a league for close to 20 years.

I'm not saying Amorim is better than Alonso. I just don't think either is a slam dunk success, though both are very promising. I think Alonso being an ex-player is a factor in people's evaluation. I also think a lot of people convinced themselves that Alonso joining us was a no-brainer and therefore inevitable. In that regard you accept that as the next logical step and when it doesn't happen it feels a bigger knock back than it potentially is.

I wouldn't have minded Alonso. probably would have chosen him given the choice. But I don;t think the gap between Alonso and a few other managers is as big as others think. I think that gap is also minimised by the current state, stability and quality of the football club.
Think this is all pretty fair. I'd be pretty happy if we get Amorim, even de Zerbi maybe. Whoever we get will probably be a step down, at least initially, and no one out there is a guarantee of success, even Alonso. He would probably have been my first choice, same as with most people I guess, but fair play to him for staying at Leverkusen if indeed that does turn out to be the case. I just hope people don't reactively turn their noses up at whoever we do end up getting just because they're not Alonso. Following Klopp is going to be a hard enough job without us getting on their back from the get go.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #6432 on: March 29, 2024, 12:00:48 pm »
There isn't a lack of managers, it's just the resumes isn't enough for the cry arses in here who don't have a clue about what manager is right for LFC at this moment in time. Thankfully the people making the decisions at LFC aren't stupid enough to make a decision on a manager, just because he rides a skateboard to work.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6433 on: March 29, 2024, 12:01:40 pm »
Illustrates the generational genius of Pep and Klopp that makes any alternative pale in significance. The bar is almost impossibly high.

That said, there’s a strong whiff of the transfer threads in here - people getting irate at links and rumours while dismissing names because of their lack of glamour.

It’s going to be a long summer with this one, I suspect.

Dont think it will be a long summer because the club will want the manager in during June.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6434 on: March 29, 2024, 12:02:04 pm »
There is, I agree, but that's why FSG need to be making sure they get the best possible available, that's their job.

If they and others can't convince Xabi, then they need to throw everything at Amorim. After that we might as well get a stop gap in for the season until one of them does become available.

You don't keep going down the line until you reach people who have absolutely no right to be taking over.

It's not FSG's job to get a manager. They've put Edwards in place to sort this. Who in turn has appointed Hughes. Hughes and Edwards will be responsible.

Who do you suggest as a stop gap for a year? What happens if at the end of the year Alonso says thanks but no thanks I'm off to Real. Whilst Amorim fancies living in Barcelona rather than Liverpool. Do you keep the stop gap on?

Does a stop gap help you attract new players or keep existing ones? Surely the likes of Trent and Salah want to know who they'll be playing under. I'm imagining saying to them that we are hiring a 1 year stop gap because we can't find a manager doesn't exude the type of confidence you want to commit 2-4 more years of your career to the club. Same with new players. Imagine saying to someone that we want you to join but the manager is only a stop gap for 12 months before we hire someone else. Why would anyone join in that situation?

We need to hire a permanent manager this season. It's up to the people in charge to find the best man or woman available to do the role. It's likely to come with significant risk but so will every manager Barcelona, Bayern, United and others hire.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6435 on: March 29, 2024, 12:02:19 pm »
There isn't a lack of managers, it's just the resumes isn't enough for the cry arses in here who don't have a clue about what manager is right for LFC at this moment in time. Thankfully the people making the decisions at LFC aren't stupid enough to make a decision on a manager, just because he rides a skateboard to work.

You really think thats why he was hated in Bayern?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6436 on: March 29, 2024, 12:02:53 pm »

That's what I mean by glorious failure though - put up a good fight and account of himself, but ultimately failed to succeed past where was expected. Glorious failure in that he tried and fought and lost

Doing what he has done at Brighton is good but does it qualify him for the Liverpool job? I have worries about limitations he has shown which are particularly troublesome for a club like us and the issues we gave in our games and our aims

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #6437 on: March 29, 2024, 12:04:19 pm »

This reeks of arrogance. Jurgen Klopp, having won nothing, came to Dortmund from Mainz (who were relegated under him) to take them to two titles and a Champions League final.

There's no obvious necessary level a manager has to be at to be in the running in my opinion, it's not necessarily a tougher job at Sporting than it is at Brentford. What we should be looking at is any manager who's consistently been overachieving over a number of years, in my opinion. That brings us to Frank almost immediately.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #6438 on: March 29, 2024, 12:04:54 pm »
Dont think it will be a long summer because the club will want the manager in during June.
Yeah most likely. I was talking figuratively in respect to the existential crisis that some plunge into while discussing anything in relation to transfers and recruitment. Catastrophising and doomsaying becomes a bit exhausting.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #6439 on: March 29, 2024, 12:05:08 pm »

Lol some perspective here, what is De Zerbi's net spend at Brighton?

Is playing good football enough?  On a hugely negative spend he is about to give Brighton their 2 highest finishes in their entire history - 6th place, and now 8th admits an injury crisis to his best players, as well as selling his 2 best players in the summer.

You make it sound like winning 50% of your games whilst playing great football under those conditions is a bad thing.  Genuine question,  if Klopp or Guadiola took over Brightons squad this season and had estupinian, match, mitoma, encido out injured for the majority of the season, where do you think Brighton would have finished this year?