Author Topic: Rhian Brewster  (Read 331991 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rhian Brewster, set to leave
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2018, 12:34:56 pm »
feck me how did this get to 4 pages already

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2018, 12:39:44 pm »

I don't think there's anything wrong with it going to for pages. We're just having a more general debate on where academys fit into the football world. I think its an important conversation to have.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2018, 12:42:24 pm »
Not bothered.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2018, 12:43:44 pm »
Because a) you’re panning for gold and when you hit you save millions b) even if you don’t hit a top player a well run academy makes money
You could also argue it’s part of a clubs identity
But yeah It’s defintiely not actually necessary for a club like ours (ie top 4 contenders) in order to compete

With respect I think it is important especially with the identity side of the club. I think its vital to have a local player involved somewhere. They are the connection with the fans locally. But all these things are being stretched now.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2018, 12:45:23 pm »

I think this has brought about some interesting debate.  A lot of investment is going into youth development so I think there's a discussion to be had on what we're getting from it.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2018, 12:49:13 pm »
I think this has brought about some interesting debate.  A lot of investment is going into youth development so I think there's a discussion to be had on what we're getting from it.

If we sold say, Wilson, Ojo and Kent we'd get enough to run the academy for a few years. Reckon we could get £20m easy for TAA right now. Just needs one or two PL quality players every few years to pay for itself.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2018, 12:53:34 pm »
If we sold say, Wilson, Ojo and Kent we'd get enough to run the academy for a few years. Reckon we could get £20m easy for TAA right now. Just needs one or two PL quality players every few years to pay for itself.

I think we could get 35 for Trent considering what we got for Ibe.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2018, 12:54:00 pm »
I don't think there's anything wrong with it going to for pages. We're just having a more general debate on where academys fit into the football world. I think its an important conversation to have.

Oh there's nothing wrong with it at all, I'm just surprised  ;D

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2018, 12:54:43 pm »

Trent’s £50m plus imo

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2018, 12:57:05 pm »
Oh there's nothing wrong with it at all, I'm just surprised  ;D

Sorry, probably partly my fault. It's a hobby horse of mine this subject.  ;D

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2018, 01:01:24 pm »
With respect I think it is important especially with the identity side of the club. I think its vital to have a local player involved somewhere. They are the connection with the fans locally. But all these things are being stretched now.

Yeah I agree - there’s a lot of good reasons to have one - it’s just not going to supply the first team with players anything other than occasionally if we have a top 4 level squad

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2018, 01:03:06 pm »
What do you consider as Academy players , we signed Sterling but didn’t go straight into the first team and sold for £50m , Gomez at 16/17 now probably worth £20/30m 

Trent worth £50m imo , seems imo the academy is doing well
Wilson and Woodburn must be worth a lot etc ....

Considering Fulham value Ryan Sessegnon at £100m
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:24:27 pm by rocco »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2018, 01:04:59 pm »
I read an article last summer that the German FA and Bundesliga clubs were in unison that England had the best players in the world born late 90's early 00's and all the Bundesliga clubs were going on a recruitment drive to sign them.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2018, 01:28:09 pm »
I'm sure you'd agree, young players need a number of first team minutes to develop, so the clearer the path, the better for them.  If they have to displace the players we have upfront at the moment, together with the strong likelihood we'll be signing another top attacking player in the summer, it's going to make it very difficult for even a potentially, very good youngster to get those necessary minutes.  Of course the manager will want to find a balance, but it's difficult at a club like Liverpool, where the pressure and demand for trophies are only going to increase.

Robbie Fowler was exceptional at a very young age so I do think he'd have made it anyway, but they are going to have to be close to that level for youngsters who play in an attacking position to make it here.

Absolutely, and the best ones get that.

It makes me feel old talking about players from the 90s but I’ve watched us for over 20 years now and there’s not a single player who we let go early who has gone elsewhere and been a world beater. They do it here, or they don’t do it. And we’ve had plenty who have, which suggests to me we know what we’re doing with youngsters. If you’re too good for the reserves/U23s you’ll get opportunities in the first team, that’s how it’s always been. Our front 3 doesn’t change that.

Brewster has only just turned 18. He’s pretty much literally a kid. If him or his agent are looking at it thinking ‘he’ll never get a chance there’ then he’ll never make it anywhere near the top level because it’s a bizarre attitude to have at that age. We couldn’t have done much more up to this point to show him how important we think he is as a youngster, so if he does decide to up sticks and go to an average German side because of his better mates doing it elsewhere then it says a lot more about him/his agent than it does about youngsters getting opportunities at Liverpool.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2018, 01:30:44 pm »
Absolutely, and the best ones get that.

It makes me feel old talking about players from the 90s but I’ve watched us for over 20 years now and there’s not a single player who we let go early who has gone elsewhere and been a world beater. They do it here, or they don’t do it. And we’ve had plenty who have, which suggests to me we know what we’re doing with youngsters. If you’re too good for the reserves/U23s you’ll get opportunities in the first team, that’s how it’s always been. Our front 3 doesn’t change that.

Brewster has only just turned 18. He’s pretty much literally a kid. If him or his agent are looking at it thinking ‘he’ll never get a chance there’ then he’ll never make it anywhere near the top level because it’s a bizarre attitude to have at that age. We couldn’t have done much more up to this point to show him how important we think he is as a youngster, so if he does decide to up sticks and go to an average German side because of his better mates doing it elsewhere then it says a lot more about him/his agent than it does about youngsters getting opportunities at Liverpool.

To be fair I'm pretty sure Brewster is just looking at the likes of Lookman doing well in Germany, it's a new development on the whole for young players going abroad. I am still hopeful he'll be persuaded to give it another go here.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2018, 01:34:28 pm »
To be fair I'm pretty sure Brewster is just looking at the likes of Lookman doing well in Germany, it's a new development on the whole for young players going abroad. I am still hopeful he'll be persuaded to give it another go here.

Yeah which is fine, but then strikes me as odd that anyone would look what’s happening 700 miles away when they could look at their own team for youngsters getting minutes.

Anyways the point is the same, much rather have players with TAAs attitude.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2018, 01:38:04 pm »
Leaving is the right move for him. A better player in Woodburn has barely got any minutes for our first team despite being down to nothing in the front 6.  There's plenty talk of us bringing in more options for the front 3 as well. Youth players at this age should be making a decision based on where they're likely to get the most playing time and I can see why he doesn't think it would be here.

Sums it up. He’s unlikely to get a look-in here.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2018, 01:41:06 pm »
What youth players are you referring to? I haven’t seen anything remotely close to him at Liverpool in the under 23s for the last ten years - not since Owen as it goes. He was always going to succeed at the top level no matter where he’d gone.

One example doesn’t prove the argument either way though
The fact is that most of our good academy prospects will be sold to lower level clubs that’s how it should be - and if you occasionally let one go your shouldn’t that sucks but it’s often a good sign because it only happens if you’re first team is at the level it’s supposed to be
Woodburn was impacting and affecting youth games to the same level sterling was at 16. Morrsion, boga (or any other number of Chelsea youth players to be fair)

I've not disagreed with any of the 2nd bit.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2018, 01:41:16 pm »
If he wants to leave then he can leave , if he’s as good as everyone says insert a buy back clause.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2018, 01:42:34 pm »
Yeah which is fine, but then strikes me as odd that anyone would look what’s happening 700 miles away when they could look at their own team for youngsters getting minutes.

Anyways the point is the same, much rather have players with TAAs attitude.

You have to appreciate the difference in standard between our defensive and offensive sides of the team though. In Salah, Firmino and Mane we have three of the best in the world at the moment. I would say our defensive side is definitely less difficult to break into VVD apart. I don't think there is anything wrong with Brewster's attitude, also the club has made it clear there are no hard feelings from their side if he does go.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2018, 01:45:25 pm »
If he wants to leave then he can leave , if he’s as good as everyone says insert a buy back clause.

We can't.

He hasn't signed a pro contract with us yet.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2018, 02:12:42 pm »
I've a lot of admiration for a young English footballer being willing to go to a foreign league to learn their craft. More should do it. It'll be a shame for us but could be great for his development so I'd understand it from the player's perspective.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2018, 02:14:52 pm »
Young players want the absolute earth now at such a young age, if he doesn't wanna stay at Liverpool and develop under Jurgen Klopp then bye bye.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2018, 02:42:35 pm »
Woodburn was impacting and affecting youth games to the same level sterling was at 16. Morrsion, boga (or any other number of Chelsea youth players to be fair)

I've not disagreed with any of the 2nd bit.

That's a good list. A couple of the Arsenal lads must be in there too. Gnabry and one or two others. Sancho and Foden at City recently. Angel Gomes at the red Mancs. Suso was another that was class and totally dominated when he got going. I know people got very excited with Sterling when he scored those 5 goals in the cup game but there were several players that I saw in my sporadic U18s and Reserves watching that I thought looked like bigger talents.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2018, 02:48:05 pm »
Ademola Lookman and Sancho are doing pretty good.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2018, 02:52:18 pm »
That's a good list. A couple of the Arsenal lads must be in there too. Gnabry and one or two others. Sancho and Foden at City recently. Angel Gomes at the red Mancs. Suso was another that was class and totally dominated when he got going. I know people got very excited with Sterling when he scored those 5 goals in the cup game but there were several players that I saw in my sporadic U18s and Reserves watching that I thought looked like bigger talents.

The under rating of Sterling at every stage will never end on here - my own fault for bringing him up

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2018, 02:55:23 pm »
The under rating of Sterling at every stage will never end on here - my own fault for bringing him up

Bizarre because the players mentioned there were all considered absolutely top talents at various stages. It's not like the likes of Brooks-Lennon are being mentioned there.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2018, 02:58:15 pm »
Ademola Lookman and Sancho are doing pretty good.

Lookman is 2 years older and much further along in his development than Brewster.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2018, 04:29:35 pm »
Why does something always have to go wrong for us?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2018, 04:32:25 pm »
Why does something always have to go wrong for us?

Nothing has happened yet? Even then, why are you bedwetting over it when there's a game on?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2018, 05:12:22 pm »
I've rated sterling massively on here and still do, but he wasn't head and shoulders above every youth player around that time. There were players around his level and who stood out more at times, partly because they had better team mates or because you only get limited viewing of them.  Sterling got the minutes to help him develop faster and has had two coaches who've also helped him go up a level each time. Plus he's really good, but it could have gone different for him if he'd been loaned out(which plenty fans thought was for the best) to somewhere where the manager wasn't good or didn't really want to play a kid.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:15:00 pm by Chris~ »

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2018, 07:46:06 pm »

looks like he's still a way to go with his recovery.

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2018, 02:52:51 am »
Meh, if he stays happy days but if he goes then I wont be too fussed.

I remember similar outcry when Rossiter left (and for some reason people rated him ridiculously high)  and I forgot that he even existed until he popped up on Twitter somewhere the other day.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2018, 03:08:28 am »
he's not signed a pro contract with LFC, so they can't put a buy back into anything, he'll be a free agent.

All they can do is try and get Gladbach to pay some money by threatening to report them if they don't.

Sign him to a new contract and sell him to Monchengladbach for a nominal development fee. Insert a buy back clause for 30 million and leave him develop there for 2 or 3 years. Better than any loan.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2018, 03:11:55 am »
Sign him to a new contract and sell him to Monchengladbach for a nominal development fee. Insert a buy back clause for 30 million and leave him develop there for 2 or 3 years. Better than any loan.

what do you think they have been trying to do  ;D

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2018, 04:10:31 am »

Wouldn't be surprised if all three were sold this summer. I know Wilson had a good spell but he hasnt ever got a look in and there must be something the coaches see we don't see and it would be smart to sell now when his price will be its highest. No issues if he isnt sold and given a chance next season but wouldn't be shocked if we sold him as I think we could get 15m for him.

And TAA is worth way more than 20m. If Sessegnon is rated at 40m then TAA is easily 50m as hes proven in the top league/champions league and further along in his development compared to Sessegnon whos only done it in the Championship. Dont get me wrong he looks an insane talent.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2018, 04:15:34 am »
For those wondering about Ryan Brewster before he got injured, he played 11 matches in Premier League 2, aka U23's.

He had 5 goals and 7 assists.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2018, 04:25:34 am »
Would help if you paid attention mate, he won't sign the contract yet.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2018, 08:24:12 am »
are we going to pursue monchengladbach for tapping up?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2018, 09:37:17 am »
are we going to pursue monchengladbach for tapping up?

The Times mentioned that we were considering it.