Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL Final Real Madrid v Liverpool [26 May 2018, KO 19:45 GMT]  (Read 293854 times)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Splendid writng by the OP's.

It's just made me more pumped up for this final.

WE are winning #6.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Just get the 3 points.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
let's goooooooooo!

or better known as ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just get the 3 points.

Must win game.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
Lure Real into a false sense of security....then go for the jugular
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
I remember chatting to my daughter recently that I feel sorry for those who don't follow football and that they just don't get it.  It's so true, the absolute joy it can bring, and also the total heartache.  There is nothing like it.

I still can't believe we are in the final.  It's going to be epic.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Just watched a video on YouTube of all our CL goals this season. Not only do we deserve to be here but we've been the best team in the competition, no doubt about it. Some of our goals were utterly sublime. This is a huge test of course but think of the moments we've already passed. If our front 3 perform to the same standards they've shown in all the other rounds then Madrid will be worried.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
Lets win that beautiful trophy and have the mother of all party's.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

Every single one of the OP's
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
I’ve only read the intro and 1st 3 paragraphs from E2K but just had to come and say that just yesterday evening I watched that Sean Connery vid on YouTube and this morning I showed it to my son, who wasn’t born until just after Athens 2007, because it has been in my mind since the final whistle blew in Rome a couple of weeks ago. I’m blown away that you referenced it E2K. Brilliant!

Will read all the others over the next few days but what a perfect start!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm shitting to be honest lads. We can match them in a game but these fuckers are the masters of the dark arts. If we're in the game expect them to bring out every trick in the book.  :(

Offline Floop

• Main Stander
So glad my exams finish before the final! Up the reds!! :champ :champ

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Just read E2K's post to my best friend who is driving in Michigan ----  "Awesome" write up was his response. 

Fans all over the world fellas.

Scouse Trident - Let it Flow

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/X0RyayUVGUE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/X0RyayUVGUE</a>
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:06:44 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
I'm shitting to be honest lads. We can match them in a game but these fuckers are the masters of the dark arts. If we're in the game expect them to bring out every trick in the book.  :(

Samie you've been bricking it for 3 months.

;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
 ;D

It's gotten worse ever since the Semi Final win.

Our players aren't prepared for the shithouse tactics.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
;D

Well they better get used to it, can't control what they do, we can only control what we do mate. What happens will happen.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
I am not worried at all about scoring. We are great at it whilst Madrid has show this season they had a leaky defence.

I feel we have a >60% chance of winning. We have already come so far and we rarely lose in finals.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Ahhhhh, I pre-match thread befitting the significance of the occasion.

Four excellent pieces of writing to whet our appetites in anticipation of the final.

I savoured it all, reading slowly, poring carefully over each paragraph.

This will be a much visited thread between now and next week.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
I am not worried at all about scoring. We are great at it whilst Madrid has show this season they had a leaky defence.

I feel we have a >60% chance of winning. We have already come so far and we rarely lose in finals.

Hate to be "That guy", but we've lost the last 3 finals we've played in (Chelsea, City, Sevilla). Time to end that rotten streak...IF we win, then all those 3 lost finals would have been worth it. This is the big one.

I was much more nervous in build up to second legs of City and even Roma !! (despite our huge advantages)....which is weird. But then I guess it'll come next week.

Absolutely important that we start strong, don't let the occasion get to us, avoid silly errors (like Marsellie yesterday) and hopefully get in front. Last season Juve dominated Madrid in first half and should have had more than 1 goal, yet in second half they were made to look like Newcastle. Be amazing if we have one of those crazy 15-20 minutes where we kill games. MUST TAKE OUR CHANCES

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
Lads Klopp if your reading this  please whatever you do do not touch the trophy before you have won it remember Gattuso and dimitri payet.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
;D

C'mon Fake Madrid are not the Spanish Inquisition now.... :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7WJXHY2OXGE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7WJXHY2OXGE</a>
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just read E2K's post to my best friend who is driving in Michigan ----  "Awesome" write up was his response. 
You read all that out to him? Fair fucks.

On a serious note, I sat down and read through the OP's a few hours ago. An absolute pleasure to have such quality writers on here. Good work.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You read all that out to him? Fair fucks.

On a serious note, I sat down and read through the OP's a few hours ago. An absolute pleasure to have such quality writers on here. Good work.

The Shawshank section -- he was riveted and wants to register to get more...  Good writing was all it took!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
"To be the best, you gotta beat the best". In life, there are certain quotes that you just carry with you until your end of days. Words that resonate so strongly within you that they become the cornerstones of your very character. I still remember as he took the microphone, praised his would be opponent but reminded him of the task ahead with those immortal words. And all this from a man most associated with screaming "Woooooooooooooooo" or walking in a straight line before falling flat on his face. So probably not the ideal role model then or someone to look at for words of wisdom that would shape the way you see the world.

Yet when Ric Flair uttered those words, it struck a chord with me and to this day I still believe it to be true. No, not the WOOOOOOO part, although it is my go to phrase when I orgasm. I mean the beating the best part. I scoffed at United Europa League run last season: - Rostov, Anderlecht, Celta fucking Vigo - are you shitting me??? An Ajax team with an average age of just 14 in the final. "It doesn't matter, all that matters is they are Champions" - well it fucking matters to me. For me winning just isn't enough - I want to know I looked the favourite in their eyes and took away from them everything they thought was theirs. Because fuck you, this is our time! I have no respect for fighters who duck tough fights. I have no respect for athletes who dope to win. I get no enjoyment in playing games with cheats on. On the easier difficulty that presents no challenge. And I get little enjoyment taking the easiest route to victory. So in 2005 I wanted the would be Italian Champions - Juventus. The would be English Champions - Chelsea. The side with legitimate world class in almost every position - Milan. In the Europa I wanted to dump our biggest rivals out - United. I wanted to beat the perceived best team in the competition - Dortmund. And I absolutely wanted to beat the team with whom winning that trophy had become synonymous - Seville. ARGH! Almost... bastards!!! But if I am going to believe we are the best, then I want to beat whoever is perceived as the best along the way as well as anybody else who thinks they have a legitimate shout too. "Bring on yer Roma by the score, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Who the fuck you tryin to kid."

So once we are past the seeded draws in the first knockout round, I am looking at who is left and I'm making a list. Who is the perceived best in the competition? Man City! Who are the best in this competition for whom winning it has become synonymous? Real Madrid! I don't care what order we do it, but if we are going to be the best in Europe then those are the teams I would like to beat along the way. Now that we have beaten an old European foe in Roma, beaten "the best in the world", twice! All that remains is to walk up to the team who believe the trophy is theirs, look them dead in their eyes, then take away from them everything they thought was theirs. It is just meant to be. I felt it the moment we drew the hardest team to qualify in Hoffenheim. I felt it again when we drew Man City. I feel it again today. We are here because we are meant to be right here!

"Be careful what you wish for" That moment when you see the name of Man City appearing and you immediately feel that pang of regret. Like somehow you influenced the universe into giving you exactly what you want - by far the hardest draw you could possibly have - and you suddenly think "What the fuck have I done?"  But you regroup, collect your thoughts. "Get a hold of yourself, this is what you wanted, we can do this! We WILL do this!" You remember the very reasons you wanted them in the first place. It is a good match up for us. Klopp has Pep's number. We proved in January we can take them. Plus, if we are going to be the best, we want to beat the best. The first step is just in believing in this team. In believing that they can do this. No, they WILL do this.

Yet even now some are held back by fear. A fear of losing. A fear of the heartbreak that only comes with truly longing for something. A fear that if they start to believe, start to dream with the rest of us, that they are vulnerable to the chance that they could also get hurt. They have seen us make mistakes. Seen us lose before. Seen Real Madrid succeed when they look beaten. Why should this time be any different? "Give me a reason, any reason" they say. So I'll give you a reason. In fact I will give you 13 fucking reasons why we are absolutely battering this lot in Kiev.

... Reason 1 of 13 coming soon ...
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
It's from what was once the Russian Empire but not necessarily from Kyiv. It might even be French in origin.

The banana Split is definitely from Croatia though
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
Keep it coming lads, this final is gonna start giving me wet dreams !

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
As good as those OPs are and they are very very good  :D It really comes down to what Jonny said above Lets twat these twats!

ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
2 weeks to prepare including a week of margaritas and sun and walk throughs. I bet hes gonna come up with a plan to just tire the crap out of Ronaldo by half time. Funnel the ball to him miles from goal and just hunt him in packs till he pukes on the pitch.  ;D Just one of many plans.

Go back and watch the Roma game from mins 30-70 where we put 5 past them and could have had 8 or 10. Thats what Real Madrid have coming for the full 90 and change, including the Full Mo experience. We are gonna give this a good solid go. Plus they cant even handle the Alexander Arnold of it all the pearlers will be floating in from everywhere inch perfect including the free kick hes gonna score from 30 yards.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

• Legacy Fan
It feels like yesterday when we were fighting to chase the chancers away from this club

It feels like yesterday that we were almost on the verge of going bankrupt

It feels like yesterday when the owl had us in a relegation battle  at christmas time, talking about how a point would be eutopia and all

It feels like an eternity since the last time we were in this position, when we took all of the success in Europe under Rafa for granted.

For years I've thought to myself when will we be back in the finals at the highest stage of the European competition, whilst watching Chelsea win it, Barca,Real,etc.. while we were playing in Europa league and not doing anything worth mentioning.

Don't take this for granted

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
Just bring the cup home lads!
Believer

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
I will sit down and give the others the attention they thoroughly deserve of course.

But E2K's piece......I'm speechless at how good that was. That is up there with the best I've read on this site. That is saying a lot.
We are Liverpool!

Offline lutefish

• Kemlynite
Brilliant thoughts  -thanks to all the writers for outstanding work. And I’m looking forward to the 13 reasons we’re going to win this thing again. I was at work in 2005 for the final, missed the first half entirely, and ran to the closest bar just in time to catch Stevie’s goal. This year is a different kind of magic, but as e2k makes real, connected.

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
And next in the build up phase is a week of of Madrid coming in with a 80mil must take offer for Mane, Salah and Bobby.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Most important thing is no-one must touch the trophy until it's won :D
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
Woke up at 3 this morning and couldn't sleep - came on and found this thread up, read E2K's post and definitely cannot sleep now...!

I wouldn’t normally trust any part of the Sky apparatus — not its news outlet nor any of its fifty-something sports channels — or any single individual within it to strike the right note with regard to a memorable event or special occasion, but 13 years ago next Friday they somehow managed it. “Even a stopped clock…” I guess.

“That was Rome, back in 1977,” began a certain presenter, hairy of hand and now formerly of that parish, as the dust settled on the small hours of a Turkish Thursday morning in May, “when Emlyn Hughes lifted the trophy aloft. He did it again 12 months later, at Wembley. That was 2. In 1981 Phil Thompson did it in Paris, and in 1984 Graeme Souness, back in Rome”. And as he spoke, a montage of red jerseys, giant silver trophies and smiling faces flickered across the screen, before the camera returned to him for the final word. “But this has been the greatest comeback of all time in the European Cup, this without doubt has been Liverpool’s best. I hope you’ve enjoyed it, you might never see another night like it”.

This was all delivered in a low-key fashion, about as dispassionate as you would expect from an individual who likes Liverpool so much that his “early shout” last summer was Jürgen Klopp’s European Cup finalists finishing below Everton, a club which will soon have won as many Merseyside Derbies this century as Liverpool have played European finals (thanks to Phil Blundell for that mind-boggling stat, by the way). But the words nonetheless rang true and carried with them a sense both of the momentousness of what the world had just witnessed and the exquisite fortune that had been bestowed upon Liverpool supporters: not only was the manner of its attainment once-in-a-lifetime in nature, both literally incredible and absolutely unforgettable, the prize itself was intimately familiar to an extent that few clubs ever get to experience.

Then he faded out and there followed a slow, soft piano intro playing a familiar air, the soundtrack to a second montage that was odd at first, featuring as it did what appeared to be a couple of elderly Turkish gents smiling to camera and clad in Liverpool red and AC Milan white. And the Twin Peaks vibe didn’t end there — the tune was a spoken-word version of In My Life by the Beatles performed by Sean Connery which, although it was my first time hearing it, was apparently released in 1998.

Now, on paper, it’s a concept that shouldn’t work, and I dare say that many a music critic has probably argued that it doesn’t, either on paper or tape. But it did. It does. If context truly is everything, then the aftermath of the 2005 Champions League final was the perfect time to become acquainted with Connery’s version of the Beatles classic, his Scottish drawl meticulously caressing words that suddenly took on additional layer of meaning that was surely never intended. “There are places I’ll remember all my life, though some have changed. Some forever, not for better, some have gone, and some remain. All these places have their moments, with lovers and friends, I still can recall. Some are dead, and some are living. In my life, I’ve loved them all”.

And then the original “Fab Four” took it away as the highlights of the match played once more, led, of course, by John Lennon singing about memories losing their meaning when he thinks of love as something new, before giving it back to Connery, accompanied by a gorgeous string arrangement, to finish: “Though I know I’ll never lose affection for people and things that went before, I know I’ll often stop and think about them, in my life I love you more”. And then once more for emphasis as Rafa Benítez held the trophy aloft onscreen: “In my life I love you more”.

Wow. Music and football: they just go together, don’t they?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mDLSu8VZ8G8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mDLSu8VZ8G8</a>

1:14 ...
Most important thing is no-one must touch the trophy until it's won :D

I recall a cracking opening to the coverage as well

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Dw0kuSgsc4A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Dw0kuSgsc4A</a>
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:04:50 am by Anthony »
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline slimbo

• Kopite

They also possess a style of play that has frequently epitomised the military maxim that no plan survives the first shot fired (or, perhaps more aptly for Klopp’s brand of football, Mike Tyson’s famous comment that “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face”).

Loved this so much. I feel this is the perfect description of our first legs against City and Roma.  :wellin

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
The banana Split is definitely from Croatia though

Stop it, you're making me Hungary.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Goosebumps

Supporting this Club always always means both joy and heartache in abundance

Now bring the big ears home. About time.

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
Love this paragraph......well said lads.

————-
“Personally, I’m at the point where I’ve considered turning the music off and now I’m doubling down. It’s easy to be pessimistic. It’s easy to focus on the enormity of what’s at stake and how difficult it will be to achieve, and the sense of disappointment that will surely follow if Liverpool lose. But there are 2 key points to remember: (a) there’s nothing more exciting in football than your team being in a European Cup final, nothing; and (b) this is the only part of the experience that’s guaranteed, right here. I’ve fallen prey myself to thoughts of Real Madrid dominating the game, doing what AC Milan did so many times in 2005 and opening Liverpool up at will, but honestly, what’s the point? This is not the time for worrying, this is the time for dreaming. Otherwise, if the worst does happen, the only memories we’ll be left with, out of the whole experience of Liverpool reaching club football’s biggest occasion once again, will be defined by fear and worry followed by crushing disappointment.“
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020