Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL Final Real Madrid v Liverpool [26 May 2018, KO 19:45 GMT]  (Read 293833 times)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I am sure it was as it had 7 in the middle. I remember reading a piece in the Echo a few years back after Ajax wore theirs in the Europa Cup and Liverpool were asked why they didn't wear theirs in the competition? We replied that UEFA on sanction them for Champions League games only so we were abiding by the rules. Not a big issue really just curious as to why some clubs wear them as they like and we don't.

I assume we just don't, although if the rule isn't all that enforceable we could.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
I am sure it was as it had 7 in the middle. I remember reading a piece in the Echo a few years back after Ajax wore theirs in the Europa Cup and Liverpool were asked why they didn't wear theirs in the competition? We replied that UEFA on sanction them for Champions League games only so we were abiding by the rules. Not a big issue really just curious as to why some clubs wear them as they like and we don't.

Was it one of these?
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Mate - where's the rest of the previews? Some of us have a week to kill doing nothing sitting on this site!
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Nothing seems to matter at the moment, just passing time.....................................
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
Top one.

Nice.

Yeah I hve seen the same for us with 5. We'll be needing to update that soon. :P

Mate - where's the rest of the previews? Some of us have a week to kill doing nothing sitting on this site!

Actually working on two of them as we speak. Should have one tonight and another tomorrow. Then it might be a bit of a wait as we are trying to sort out the radars for outfield players still. But JCB is on the case and he is fucking boss though.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fantastic. Looking forward to it.
---Rilke

Offline klopptilyoudrop

• Kemlynite
    • Ryan Watts

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
One day, and I'm talking maybe 100-odd years, surely there will be a number of teams with a 'badge of honour' (United might even have one!). So eventually will the number 10 be the new 'badge of honour'?

They should make it gold or something.

Offline hansenite

• Main Stander
I honestly think we'll seriously embarrass them

Theylll shit themselves

Wouldnt be surprised theres a couple of sendings off for them

I do think they will panic at some stage because they will be up their arses - let there be no doubt. I dont think a single team has been ready for our 'red hurricane' before they've actually played us. In the prem different where teams have met us before. I'm confident we will batter them for a period of time and put several goals passed them. Hopefully Babu's 6 - i do think that that is realistic. Can we hold onto a lead though in that atmosphere? - i think that will be the litmus test.

In reference to your sending off point, I am concerned they will deliberately go out to injure us knowing full well we really only have Lallana on the bench who has some suitable quality.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:27:22 pm by hansenite »

Offline marios_moustache

• Kopite
Same mate - will be more gutted though for Klopp - as much as he may say it doesn't phase him losing the last 5 finals it will surely hurt. He's got to be due a victory soon. When watching the FA cup final yesterday I was quite surprised to hear that Mourinho has won 12 of his last 14 cup finals (now 12 of 15). That's pretty impressive considering you need so much to go your way in them. Klopp was really unlucky in all of those 5 to be on the losing side except for against Sevilla where we were beaten by a much better team on the day.

Not fully on board with that......maybe in the second half........by which point we should have had a penalty or three......

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
I do think they will panic at some stage because they will be up their arses - let there be no doubt.

Panic is one thing I don't think Madrid will do. Vastly experienced at this level every one of them.  For me our biggest challenge is being mentally ready for this game come what may. Anyway, no matter what happens its a great experience for our lads.   I have zero doubt that we're good enough to beat them like. If we play our game, we can beat any one.
Its one of them mad games where the only score line that would shock me would be a 0-0. 
Brilliant feeling to be in involved in the build up too isnt it, every other year we watch other teams in the run up, now its our turn in the sun.
For anyone going out there, if you've been to a final before you know what's coming, for anyone going to your first, you'll have the time of your life

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
My biggest concern is that the occasion overwhelms some of our players and we make unnecessary brain farts

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t-7FJA8DJRg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t-7FJA8DJRg</a>

Offline wordroam

• Anny Roader
My biggest concern is that the occasion overwhelms some of our players and we make unnecessary brain farts
So long as we knock RM out by farting in their general direction I'll be happy. Especially as their mothers are hamsters and fathers smell of sommat.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
49 seconds.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Ramos was quoted in the echo as saying that they were looking to hit us on the break and at set pieces...

I expect them to sit back defend and play the ball around in midfield to sterilise the game...

Somewhat like a Manchester United tactic against us....

Pretty much the right tactics against us I think, whether they can do that or not I have no idea as I don’t really watch La Liga ....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Ramos was quoted in the echo as saying that they were looking to hit us on the break and at set pieces...

I expect them to sit back defend and play the ball around in midfield to sterilise the game...

Pretty much the right tactics against us I think, whether they can do that or not I have no idea as I don’t really watch La Liga ....

To me they're incapable of sitting back like United, United are coached to play like that consistently, Madrid aren't. They'll be a threat at set pieces regardless of their set up and them hitting us on the counter doesn't necessary mean they will sit back.

For them to sit back like United, they would have to have 10 players in their box and hit long balls, but they don't have a target man like that or the discipline.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me

Ive no idea how he thinks that is possible from that team. They're completely incapable of that and I hope they try it.

The set piece thing is definitely more of a worry. Especially with that bastard in the air.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me

Mine is my health and sanity

Trying not to think That this is even happening until 6pm sat
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Ive no idea how he thinks that is possible from that team. They're completely incapable of that and I hope they try it.

The set piece thing is definitely more of a worry. Especially with that bastard in the air.
Two points....

Is that opinion based on you watching them much?

Secondly, Dick Dastardly doesn’t play for them. ;)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
I turn 50 on the 28th so would it be too much of an ask to get old big ears as a birthday present.p.s lads don't touch the trophy on the way out to the pitch.ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I can imagine Marcelo sitting in narrow and focussing solely on defending and denying Salah space to operate :lmao

They aren't going to change their tactics significantly from how they usually play- they've won the previous two Champions Leagues playing that way. They will tweak how they set up but if we can play our natural game we really should be able to exploit the space left by these in transition. If we can get the ball to Mane and Salah quickly they will have lots of space to counter into, plus at times if they empty the midfield like they did do against Bayern and Juventus we will walk through the centre of them.

Its a hugely difficult match because of their individual quality but we really can hurt them if we play close to our level (if we play at our best like vs City I think we will destroy them).

• Legacy Fan
Two points....

Is that opinion based on you watching them much?

Secondly, Dick Dastardly doesn’t play for them. ;)

That's how they play, they don't sit back and they can't sit back to the extent or effectiveness of United [or Chelsea].

United are coached for it, as are Chelsea, Real aren't. They are an attacking side by nature in every aspect. But they're winners, they find a way.

Set pieces will be their main threat

Offline KOP95

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
Anybody else nervous 24/7 🤣

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan

Alberto will not be starting, not sure I want to see him up against Ronaldo. Glad Nat is back, he's cooler.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline indianscouser

• Kopite
Apparently, Real have never won the EuroLeague and Champions League in the same year.

...Guess what... Today was the 2018 EuroLeague Final. Real won against Fenerbahçe 85-80.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2018/05/19/5aff4caf468aebda118b45f4.html

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
Apparently, Real have never won the EuroLeague and Champions League in the same year.

...Guess what... Today was the 2018 EuroLeague Final. Real won against Fenerbahçe 85-80.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2018/05/19/5aff4caf468aebda118b45f4.html

Pope now shitting himself
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu

It could also be a metaphorical premonition of how Nick Pope will fare at the World Cup.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
Thirteen Reasons we are totally beating Real Madrid
#12: The Travelling Kop

The End.

It probably should be the end. What can be said that wasn't perfectly encapsulated by the legendary Johan Cruijff in his autobiography? The older generation have Celtic, St. Etienne & Inter Milan. The Rafa generation have Chelsea, Olympiakos and, of course, Istanbul. The Klopp generation already has Dortmund, Roma & Man City. Our love affair with European football has also become football's love affair with the sort of atmosphere our fans have consistently delivered when those on the pitch needed them most.

More than any other club, success in Europe for Liverpool Football club has become synonymous with our fans terrifying the opposition with a wall of noise, lifting the hopes and spirits of those on the pitch with a rousing version of YNWA, or fortifying their side to hold on with the emboldening Allez! Allez! Allez! Any lifting of #6 will be tethered to the travelling Kop delivering once more an atmosphere that can shake players to their core.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XSQDZqMFUvs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XSQDZqMFUvs</a>

It just isn't like this for other clubs and certainly not for Madrid. When they are struggling on the pitch, Madridistas instead try to shame them into action with whistles or bringing out the white handkerchiefs. While Liverpool fans feel they have a role to play in the victory of their side, Real Madrid fans feel entitled to victory. And not just victory but entertainment too.

That is assuming they even make it to Kiev. Already almost 20% of their club ballot tickets have been returned to the club, with more expected to follow. Mounting logistical problems and costs as everyone tries to make a quick buck off of those wanting to follow their club are seeing many Madrid fans decide the price is simply too high. And while I sympathise with them, the reality is that the Red Army will go and go in force. Armed with banners, red pyro, a spare lung and an intent to deafen Cristiano and his gang of tarts in white.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qNGhNLvb9jc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qNGhNLvb9jc</a>

Previous Preview Parts:- Intro, 13. Klopp
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:40:47 am by BabuYagu »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
Im starting to peak. Not good news. its too early still. This is demented wtf Big Ears against Madrid incoming. Im just gonna be frank my brains having a hard time dealing with this.  ;D

Deep breath. Relaxes. Whyworryitsabonusreallyimagine ifwewinhowsweeetthatwillbecoolboom.Mane.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

• Legacy Fan
Im starting to peak. Not good news. its too early still. This is demented wtf Big Ears against Madrid incoming. Im just gonna be frank my brains having a hard time dealing with this.  ;D

Deep breath. Relaxes. Whyworryitsabonusreallyimagine ifwewinhowsweeetthatwillbecoolboom.Mane.

mate you will explode by Wednesday, I can relate though  ;D feck still a whole 5 nights to go

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
The build up to this weekend is already giving me huge anxiety. Really does feel like the calm before the storm.  I'm going to be a quivering mess come Saturday.

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
Woke up with the realisation that we are days away from a European Cup final.

Operation Ultimate Clench underway.

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
2005: Royal Wedding ✅ Man Utd lose FA cup final to fabregas' London Club✅ LFC win Champions League. ✅ 2018: Royal Wedding✅ Man Utd lose FA cup final to fabregas' London Club✅ LFC win Champions League.....?

New Doctor Who in 2005 and 2018
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:11:04 am by KopThat »

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
So now we have:

New Doctor Who ✅ 
Royal Wedding ✅
Man Utd lose FA cup final to Fabregas' London Club ✅
LFC win Champions League. ✅

New Doctor Who ✅
Royal Wedding ✅
Man Utd lose FA cup final to Fabregas' London Club ✅
LFC win Champions League.....?

And a Pope who is shitting himself
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:11:26 am by KopThat »

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

He's gonna do an Elvis on the pot?

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..

I have absolutely no doubt that we can go toe to toe with them but I’m in agreement here that if we get overawed by the spectacle of the occcssion that could bite us in the arse. I remember both City and Roma starting better than us in the first legs before we took control, however both of those games were at Anfield. In the League cup final against City a couple of years ago we also looked nervous and edgy to start. I’m trying to remember how we started in the Europa league final against Seville but I don’t think the start mattered in that game because we should have been 3-0 up going in to half time. Obviously, in the second half we self destructed.

This is something Klopp has probably been working on with them over these 2 weeks. They need to just go out and play their game and not get too overwhelmed by the occasion.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:49:38 am by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
however both of those games were at Anfield.

We're going to pack 3/4 of the stadium. And we know how our support can change the game. Just read Babu's post above about the fans.

This will be like a home game :)
---Rilke