Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker / The Mandalorian / The Clone Wars  (Read 227066 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Star Wars: Rebels / The Last Jedi / Han Solo *** NO Solo SPOILERS ***
« Reply #1560 on: October 2, 2018, 04:21:51 pm »
You're clearly not hysterical mate.

I know sarcasm when I see it!

Especially when you can tie it into the whole 'SJW' thing and get the alt-right involved.

I think there may be some of that, but I think saying "50.9% of people who hated TLJ were Russians!" is fucking madness and Rian Johnson should be ignoring this level of dumbshittery.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1561 on: October 3, 2018, 11:55:51 am »
Next time a proper new Star Wars comes on, anyone dissing it will be called a Russian Troll.

Love it.

*Thought Solo was "meh" - the perfect example of a film that wasn't required catering to audiences who will spend money
on a franchise, when it's probably better for the franchise owners to make people wait longer for a new film. Seems Disney have now realised this!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1562 on: October 3, 2018, 12:48:13 pm »
Tried to watch the Hans Solo film the other day got about half way and I turned it off it was so boring, I never thought I would say that about a Star Wars film.

Did you miss the Phantom Menace? And its two sequels?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1563 on: October 3, 2018, 02:26:25 pm »
Next time a proper new Star Wars comes on, anyone dissing it will be called a Russian Troll.

Love it.

*Thought Solo was "meh" - the perfect example of a film that wasn't required catering to audiences who will spend money
on a franchise, when it's probably better for the franchise owners to make people wait longer for a new film. Seems Disney have now realised this!

You're a Russian troll!
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1564 on: October 3, 2018, 04:33:57 pm »
I finally watched Solo and thought it was okay. The one major issue it had was the fact that it was a Solo movie at all, it tried too hard to jam itself into the SW world which tended to feel either jarring or too convenient.

Actually my main problem with a lot of the new Star Wars movies is convenience, everything just seems to either fall into place or be in the right place at the right time. I know that happens with a lot of movies but it feels like it happens too often in Star Wars now, same as with the new Star Trek movies.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1565 on: October 3, 2018, 07:23:54 pm »

Love it.

Based on the response to the film I'd say the exact opposite.  More a case of Disney assuming people will watch anything with a Star Wars logo slapped on it.

They should have done the Han Solo book trilogy.  There's enough background to his origins there whilst giving him a whole new dimension.  There was a Lando trilogy too.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1566 on: October 4, 2018, 02:07:51 am »
Favreau's live action show is called The Mandalorian (as in Boba Fett but a new character) and is set between 6 and 7.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1567 on: October 4, 2018, 11:00:11 am »
Favreau's live action show is called The Mandalorian (as in Boba Fett but a new character) and is set between 6 and 7.

https://www.facebook.com/jonfavreau/

Sounds promising - looking forward to seeing it :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1568 on: October 4, 2018, 03:55:01 pm »
They should have done the Han Solo book trilogy.

Which one?

Actually the later book series would now go against canon as it features Han's then-girlfriend Bria Tharen stealing the Death Star plans on Toprawa.

I like the earlier series. Don't remember much of the plot but I liked the idea of the Corporate Sector Authority, and the Marauder Corvette is one of my favourite ship designs in Star Wars.

And wasn't the bots/trolls thing just an analysis of people who had attacked Rian Johnson directly on twitter, and not people who dislike the film in general (which is everyone I know bar one, they can't all be agents of Skynet)?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1569 on: October 4, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »
Actually my main problem with a lot of the new Star Wars movies is convenience, everything just seems to either fall into place or be in the right place at the right time. I know that happens with a lot of movies but it feels like it happens too often in Star Wars now, same as with the new Star Trek movies.

I am amazed at some of stuff that makes it past the writing stage.  I was watching Venom last night and they literally had the line "We're not so different...".  I mean C'MON as if we're still using that line in 2018.  It's up there with "Let's get out of here!" (which is in Rogue One at least 3 times) and "You just don't get it..." for most overused lines of dialogue ever.

EDIT: For a laugh, I'd thought I'd see how many "Let's get outta here!" and variants thereon there are in Rogue One.  LOL

CASSIAN: Let’s get going.
CASSIAN: Jyn. Come on, let’s go.
CASSIAN: Let’s go. We’re not here to make friends
BAZE: Let’s go.
BAZE: Chirrut, let’s go!
CASSIAN: Come on! Let’s get out of here!
CASSIAN: Get to work fixing our comms! All I want to do right now is get a handle on what we’re up against.So, we’re going to go very small and very carefully up the rise and see what’s what. Let’s get out of here.
CASSIAN: Let’s go, let’s go. Come on, let’s move! Come on, let’s get out of here. Move, move, move. Okay, K-2, let’s go.
MELSHI: All right, let’s go.
CASSIAN:Hey, leave it. Leave it. That’s it.That’s it. Let’s go.
REBEL 2: Let’s go!
REBEL: Hurry, let’s go!
« Last Edit: October 5, 2018, 09:53:21 am by wampa1 »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1570 on: October 4, 2018, 05:33:53 pm »
Based on the response to the film I'd say the exact opposite.  More a case of Disney assuming people will watch anything with a Star Wars logo slapped on it.

They should have done the Han Solo book trilogy.  There's enough background to his origins there whilst giving him a whole new dimension.  There was a Lando trilogy too.

The ones where he has two droids called Blue Max and Zollux? (In the UK editions, at least. In the US Zollux was called Bollux, but apparently some jobsworth thought British kids couldn't cope with a droid called Bollux. I mean, really.)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1571 on: October 4, 2018, 05:34:41 pm »
I am amazed at some of stuff that makes it past the writing stage.  I was watching Venom last night and they literally had the line "We're not so different...".  I mean C'MON as if we're still using that line in 2018.  It's up there with "Let's get out of here!" (which is in Rogue One at least 3 times) and "You just don't get it..." for most overused lines of dialogue ever.

EDIT: For a laugh, I'd thought I'd see how many "Let's get outta here!" and variants thereon there are in Rogue One.  LOL

CASSIAN: Let’s get going.
CASSIAN: Jyn. Come on, let’s go.
CASSIAN: Let’s go. We’re not here to make friends
BAZE: Let’s go.
BAZE: Chirrut, let’s go!
CASSIAN: Come on! Let’s get out of here!
CASSIAN: Get to work fixing our comms! All I want to do right now is get a handle on what we’re up against.So, we’re going to go very small and very carefully up the rise and see what’s what. Let’s get out of here.
CASSIAN: Let’s go, let’s go. Come on, let’s move! Come on, let’s get out of here. Move, move, move. Okay, K-2, let’s go.
MELSHI: All right, let’s go.
CASSIAN:Hey, leave it. Leave it. That’s it.That’s it. Let’s go.
REBEL 2: Let’s go!
REBEL: Hurry, let’s go!

I got a bad feeling about this...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
Re: Star Wars: Solo / Resistance / Episode 9 / The Mandalorian
« Reply #1572 on: October 5, 2018, 05:00:11 am »
Dave Filoni (The Clone Wars) will direct the first episode. Additional directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

Whoa

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1573 on: October 5, 2018, 08:13:20 am »
The ones where he has two droids called Blue Max and Zollux? (In the UK editions, at least. In the US Zollux was called Bollux, but apparently some jobsworth thought British kids couldn't cope with a droid called Bollux. I mean, really.)

That's the one's. I read both versions and I honestly preferred Zollux to Bollux. Sounds more... droidy; D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1574 on: October 5, 2018, 10:49:21 am »
Whoa

I was already sold on this, but now I'm double sold.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1575 on: October 5, 2018, 12:16:52 pm »
I got a bad feeling about this...

I might make a montage video from it.  By contrast, TFA and TLJ only use "let's go" terminology 3 or 4 times each.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1576 on: October 5, 2018, 04:53:42 pm »
I was already sold on this, but now I'm double sold.

Yeah Favreau already got me on board, but that's a great line up.

Sucks that literally everything interesting is going to be on separate streaming services going forward though. Cable cutting has fucked us all.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: October 5, 2018, 10:13:10 pm »
First image from The Mandalorian:

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #1578 on: October 8, 2018, 03:17:57 pm »
okay that has my attention

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: October 22, 2018, 10:13:29 am »
I watched the original Trilogy when I was a kid as they were first released and have watched all 3 again a few times over the years.  For some reason I just never got around to watching the other 5 episodes.

Been on a Star Wars binge the last few days and watched Force Awakens and Last Jedi last week then started on the Prequels and did 'Phantom Menace' yesterday.  Looking at the polls, I don't think the newer five movies hold a candle to the original trilogy but I'm still really enjoying them all the same.

I enjoyed Phantom Menace to be honest, probably more than the most recent two episodes.  The Pod racing scenes with young Anakin were great and the fights between the Jedi's and Darth Maul were cool too.  Jar Jar Binks is a bit of a pain granted but I can just about tolerate him :)

Got 'Attack of the Clones' ready to go this week. And then finish of with 'Revenge of the Sith' which seems to be voted the best of the bunch outside of the original trilogy.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1580 on: October 22, 2018, 10:17:16 am »
I watched the original Trilogy when I was a kid as they were first released and have watched all 3 again a few times over the years.  For some reason I just never got around to watching the other 5 episodes.

Been on a Star Wars binge the last few days and watched Force Awakens and Last Jedi last week then started on the Prequels and did 'Phantom Menace' yesterday.  Looking at the polls, I don't think the newer five movies hold a candle to the original trilogy but I'm still really enjoying them all the same.

I enjoyed Phantom Menace to be honest
, probably more than the most recent two episodes.  The Pod racing scenes with young Anakin were great and the fights between the Jedi's and Darth Maul were cool too.  Jar Jar Binks is a bit of a pain granted but I can just about tolerate him :)

Got 'Attack of the Clones' ready to go this week. And then finish of with 'Revenge of the Sith' which seems to be voted the best of the bunch outside of the original trilogy.
This isn’t the thread you’re looking for.

Never return

;)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: October 22, 2018, 10:30:53 am »
This isn’t the thread you’re looking for.

Never return

;)

:)

Ah sorry man I am a total Star Wars bumpkin to be fair.

This is a thread for the newer stuff anyway so I will be gone.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1582 on: October 22, 2018, 10:32:20 am »
Try rogue one though..

I think it’s a great film
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1583 on: October 22, 2018, 10:39:47 am »
Try rogue one though..

I think it’s a great film

Yeah I've watched the standalones mate

Rogue One at the cinema on IMAX and really enjoyed it.  Also watched Solo last week which was fun too.

The Mandalorian looks really interesting.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1584 on: October 23, 2018, 11:40:59 am »
The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels.  I love that it's the film furthest removed from the OT. There are no Stormtrooper derivatives, no TIE Fighters, no Death Star super weapons, no X-Wings...  Every other movie has some interpretation of those.  Visually it's stunning and there are more actual sets than it gets credit for, especially Theed/Naboo.

Rogue One on the other hand is my least favourite of the Disney Star Wars output.  The first two thirds are largely expositional and Jyn is way too passive with stuff just happening to her and being along for the ride.  She makes no decisions that drive the narrative and does nothing to affect the plot in ANY WAY until the last third, which is when the film picks up and is pretty great from then on, to be honest.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1585 on: October 23, 2018, 01:57:48 pm »
The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels. I love that it's the film furthest removed from the OT. There are no Stormtrooper derivatives, no TIE Fighters, no Death Star super weapons, no X-Wings...  Every other movie has some interpretation of those.  Visually it's stunning and there are more actual sets than it gets credit for, especially Theed/Naboo.

:o

Phantom Menace is an absolute abomination in my eyes.

And don't even get me started on Jar Jar Binks. >:(

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1586 on: October 23, 2018, 02:00:46 pm »
I mean, it's extremely low bar. Obviously AOTC is the very worst, and ROTS is terrible.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: October 23, 2018, 02:25:18 pm »
I mean, it's extremely low bar. Obviously AOTC is the very worst, and ROTS is terrible.

Your probably right

Of the 3 movies I've watched outside of the original trilogy. I'm not seeing anything coming close really.

The most recent two are equality box ticking exercises although still nice and fun to watch.

I'm no Star Wars purist but I can see how the super fans would be seriously pissed off with the newest 5 films.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1588 on: October 23, 2018, 03:59:06 pm »

There was maybe one film's worth of worthwhile plot across that entire trilogy. Attack of the Clones is the most pointless thing I've ever seen.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1589 on: October 23, 2018, 04:33:06 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pLPhi9gXe20&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pLPhi9gXe20&amp;</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1590 on: October 23, 2018, 05:20:21 pm »
The comments section on that video is something to behold.  I'll never understand why everyone thinks the main message of the TLJ is to "kill the past".  That's something that Kylo Ren says.  Why are they listening to what Kylo Ren says and not Luke and Yoda?  Did they only listen to Darth Vader when watching the OT whilst growing up?  Actually, going by their political allegiances and attitudes they probably did...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:21:52 pm by wampa1 »

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1591 on: October 23, 2018, 07:51:33 pm »
I think its funny how you can make a pretty convincing case that any one of the prequel films are the worst.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1592 on: October 23, 2018, 08:37:43 pm »
I think its funny how you can make a pretty convincing case that any one of the prequel films are the worst.

Revenge of the sith is half a level above the other turds in my view.
W

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1593 on: October 24, 2018, 01:25:58 am »
The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels.  I love that it's the film furthest removed from the OT. There are no Stormtrooper derivatives, no TIE Fighters, no Death Star super weapons, no X-Wings...  Every other movie has some interpretation of those.  Visually it's stunning and there are more actual sets than it gets credit for, especially Theed/Naboo.

Sorry cant agree with most of this.
No Stormtroopers - swap in mindless droids following orders
No Tie Fighters - the droid army have ships that look just like Ties
No Death Star - I can agree with this somewhat although there is a giant droid ship needed to be blown up at the end to stop the droid army so....
No X-wings - the Naboo fighters do a passable impression

Honestly the acting/script in PM is just awful and whilst the other two aren't exactly great, ROTS at least has something about it.

And the less said about Jar Jar the better, although you are correct about the visuals, some of them were excellent including the pod race.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1594 on: October 24, 2018, 05:23:34 am »
The acting, the script, the convoluted way it gets to things. And the midifuckingchlorians.

And for all three films the plot. Jesus.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1595 on: October 24, 2018, 10:40:55 am »
Sorry cant agree with most of this.
No Stormtroopers - swap in mindless droids following orders
No Tie Fighters - the droid army have ships that look just like Ties
No Death Star - I can agree with this somewhat although there is a giant droid ship needed to be blown up at the end to stop the droid army so....
No X-wings - the Naboo fighters do a passable impression

Of course there are analogues but by your logic here any army are Stormtroopers, any bad guy ships are TIEs and any good guy ships are X-Wings.  I meant visually ie. dudes in white armour (in every film from AOTC onward, ships with wings that split apart or with big flat wings (in every film from ROTS).

ROTS is all about getting from A-B.  TPM is almost a standalone film and like I said, it's the furthest removed from the OT and relies on very little nostalgia or established iconography to win people over (there is some but far less than any other prequel/sequel).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:46:23 am by wampa1 »

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: October 24, 2018, 10:43:31 am »
I genuinely think you're the first person I've ever come across that says they liked The Phantom Menace. Shit acting, shit script and Jar Jar binks.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1597 on: October 24, 2018, 10:50:14 am »
It's all relative - it obviously doesn't hold a candle to the OT or even the sequels.  I just appreciate it for what it was. Sure, it went too far in places but it wasn't concerned with trying to be a 'cool' or badass film for 40 year old neckbeards. It was earnest and honest and it lived and died on the decisions it made rather than playing it safe.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1598 on: October 24, 2018, 01:32:28 pm »
It's all relative - it obviously doesn't hold a candle to the OT or even the sequels.  I just appreciate it for what it was. Sure, it went too far in places but it wasn't concerned with trying to be a 'cool' or badass film for 40 year old neckbeards. It was earnest and honest and it lived and died on the decisions it made rather than playing it safe.

I get you, I think TPM is a poorly constructed, dull, confusing mess of a film that in my opinion was inherently doomed from the off because Lucas was always a big ideas man who needed help focusing it down into something good, but as a dumb space-fantasy film for young kids, you'd be surprised how well it works for them.

This is why these films are so fascinating, you could argue its both the one that works best as its own thing (I think Lucas took fewer risks in the next two because of the reaction), and the worst one because its ugly, boring and badly made with no developed characters.

Revenge of the sith is half a level above the other turds in my view.

https://uproxx.com/movies/revenge-of-the-sith-worst-star-wars/

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1599 on: October 24, 2018, 02:17:21 pm »

Rogue One on the other hand is my least favourite of the Disney Star Wars output.  The first two thirds are largely expositional and Jyn is way too passive with stuff just happening to her and being along for the ride.  She makes no decisions that drive the narrative and does nothing to affect the plot in ANY WAY until the last third, which is when the film picks up and is pretty great from then on, to be honest.

Your probably right

Of the 3 movies I've watched outside of the original trilogy. I'm not seeing anything coming close really.

The most recent two are equality box ticking exercises although still nice and fun to watch.

I'm no Star Wars purist but I can see how the super fans would be seriously pissed off with the newest 5 films.

Interesting comments.

For me, Rogue One gets as about as close to OT as has been so far.  Classic SW ships and vehicles slugging it out, but with modern special effects.  It takes iconic OT imagery and gives it a new spin.

In terms of narrative, well EP IV is about as conventional a story you can get.  If we want to apply 21st C criticism to a film from the late 1970s, you could be very cruel. 

Huge chunks of EP IV sag with boredom.  You can't get more expositional than the conference scene.  And really, how much character development do you see?

Where the OT, and especially EP IV do a smack down on Rogue One is in how the characters are played, and that's largely down to the actors themselves.  Without knowing much about any of their backgrounds, you almost immediately know how any one of Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Kenobi etc will act in a given situation.  You know plenty about Jyn but yeah her character is pretty weak; Cassian is bland, but likeable.  But K2SO?  Bags of attitude.

The new trilogy films I now just view as rather... generic.  Some good bits, but really just trading off the name and the good will of the fans.  I can forgive the OT for its numerous flaws because so much of what they were trying simply hadn't been done before.  Modern Star Wars doesn't have that excuse.  Yes people will argue it's being taken in a new direction and that's what upsets the purists, but you can do that and still stay true to the source material.  I don't think these new films do that; the Star Wars bit feels tacked on these days.

Popcorn's Art