Author Topic: Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool: Post-match...  (Read 53711 times)

Offline usernamefc

• Kinky Winky Apiary Japery
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool: Post-match...
« Reply #760 on: March 21, 2011, 03:17:42 am »
Carroll, 2nd half the passes were better measured and he began to grow into the team and the game. Damned unlucky not to score too, only an excellent goalline clearance stopped him (fuck of Kevin Phillips by the way, saying that the header wasn't good enough).
Seriously, I was wondering what he was smoking when he said "Should do better". What does he expect, a header that will smash through the player?

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: March 21, 2011, 03:20:15 am »
Seriously, I was wondering what he was smoking when he said "Should do better". What does he expect, a header that will smash through the player?

Yea that pissed me off as well.  Carroll should have calculated in his head that Cattermole would raise his knee perfectly to deflect the ball away and should have pinpoint accuracy to make up for that.  I think everyone except Liverpool fans want to make the guy not worth 35m one way or the other.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #762 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:43 am »
Decent performance, thought the defence were well solid (altho johnson concerned me a few times), Jay was MotM for me, great all round showing from the lad. Fantastic goal by suarez, promising linking up at times from the front two. Carroll obviously needs games, is far from match fit, but still caused them enough problems and was unlucky not to score.

Sunderland had about a season's worth of bad luck in that game. Ah well, I'll live with it.

Nice to get a break for a change.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #763 on: March 21, 2011, 03:30:37 am »
I know...

9 times out of 10, that hits Cattermole on the thigh and flys into the net, the little bugger got lucky and it didn't go in. If you listen to Kevin Phillips, it's Carrolls fault that the ball doesn't go in, he makes it sound like Carrolls fucked it up and missed by a country mile. Fucking gimp.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: March 21, 2011, 03:37:49 am »
Suarez had no right to score that one but then again he is Suarez and he doesn't give a fuck.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: March 21, 2011, 03:39:06 am »
I know...

9 times out of 10, that hits Cattermole on the thigh and flys into the net, the little bugger got lucky and it didn't go in. If you listen to Kevin Phillips, it's Carrolls fault that the ball doesn't go in, he makes it sound like Carrolls fucked it up and missed by a country mile. Fucking gimp.

Kevin Phillips is having a go at Carroll for that bullet header ?  Bloody hell, he feels small compared to Carroll.  Like you've already said, thats in nine times out of ten. 

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: March 21, 2011, 03:41:49 am »
Kevin Phillips is having a go at Carroll for that bullet header ?  Bloody hell, he feels small compared to Carroll.  Like you've already said, thats in nine times out of ten. 

AND he doesn't mention the great 10 yard run straight to where the ball was going, which he read the flight of the ball perfectly, and as you said 9 times out of 10 it's in.  Stupid

Offline Marshall

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #767 on: March 21, 2011, 03:45:25 am »
Agger/Skrtel partnership looked really really good. Hopefully when Kelly comes back in the team, Kenny will shift Carra to the bench and save him for the big games.

Offline Dentron

• Eastenders Sci-Fi Spinoff
  • Kopite
« Reply #768 on: March 21, 2011, 03:48:15 am »
We're in dire need of outside mids. Raul shouldn't be starting on the left, and Dirk shouldn't be starting. Spearing did will, but his lack of height means anything in the air is knocked down by the opposition, which can be dangerous. He definitely has all of the tools other than height to be successful.

Carroll looked rusty but still showed flashes of what he can do. I just hope we don't become one-dimensional in looking for his head. He can play with his feet as well, though he didn't always look it today.

Suarez's goal was brilliant. It seems like he's going to score everytime he gets the ball on his foot in the box. I think in a couple years Suarez for 22m is going to look like the steal of the decade. If we bring in just a couple more creative attacking players we will have an absolutely devastating attack. I know some aren't excited about the likes of Adam and Young with names like Sanchez and Hazard being thrown around, but just replacing players in the starting eleven like Dirk/Maxi/Cole with those two will makes us miles better in a multitude of ways.

The defense looked solid, though I'm not sold on Skrtel as a long term solution. Next season I would love to see Kelly/Agger together in the middle with Johnson and a new LB, whether it's Enrique/Coentrao/Taiwo/etc. Think that would give us a very young, tough, competent back line, with all four players being able to connect passes.

Overall I thought it was a good win, and we played a great second half, despite looking pretty poor in the first half. Lots of reminders of what we have to look forward to.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: March 21, 2011, 04:38:56 am »
AND he doesn't mention the great 10 yard run straight to where the ball was going, which he read the flight of the ball perfectly, and as you said 9 times out of 10 it's in.  Stupid

Yeah.  Great run and a great ball to pick him up from Meireles as well.  With just the right height, spin and zip as well.  Bullet header that was.  Shame that didn't go in. 

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: March 21, 2011, 05:59:25 am »
Won 3 games already in 2011.  8)

Only won 2 games in 2010. One to Rafa, and one to Roy.

Stolen statistic.  ;D

EDIT : This is WINS AWAY from Anfield.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:55:23 am by Discipline »
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline jackfrancis

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #771 on: March 21, 2011, 06:03:28 am »
Dirk shouldn't be starting...replacing players in the starting eleven like Dirk/Maxi/Cole with those two will makes us miles better in a multitude of ways.

Misunderestimating the Dirk again are we? Only scored a hat trick against the Mancs, but I suppose that's not good enough for you...

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: March 21, 2011, 06:04:28 am »
Misunderestimating the Dirk again are we? Only scored a hat trick against the Mancs, but I suppose that's not good enough for you...

I'm a supporter of Dirk, but that's just a stupid argument mate.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline bruce64

• Main Stander
« Reply #773 on: March 21, 2011, 06:19:56 am »
What i liked about the game was that we always felt in control , there were never moments i thought that , oooooh no here we go again , so i could set my pace maker down a few notches , Thanks for the win !!!

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #774 on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:13 am »
Nothing worse than entering the poxy fortnight that is 'international weekend' on the back of a defeat which i assumed we would incuur yesterday ... thank you Kenny.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #775 on: March 21, 2011, 07:21:42 am »
Browsed Sunderland forum, they are pathetic  ::)
I loved this though - Jay Spearing looks like at least one of his biological parents was a potato.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #776 on: March 21, 2011, 08:32:09 am »
Fantastic result yesterday, and kind of unexpected.
Special mention to Jay who hopefully has proved a few of his doubters wrong. The lad needs to be given time and chances, and I wouldn't worry if he was still on the fringe of our 1st team squad in a few years. There's something similar about his situation to that of Fletcher's a while ago imho.

Seriously special mention to the travelling Kop too. If you guys thought you couldn't hear Sunderland's fans, you were right. Outsung them from start to finish pretty much, with the second half a complete non contest. Suarez song going for about 5 mins at one point.  :scarf
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline MiserableP15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: March 21, 2011, 08:36:42 am »
Torres was booed off and didnt look happy ........... Shame  that  ;)

Just to clarify, they were booing the fact that he was subbed by Ancellotti, not his play itself.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: March 21, 2011, 08:38:05 am »
Good performance and not without a fair bit of luck.  Carroll did fine and is finding his feet.  Suarez is simply amazing.  Sterling had a strong game as well which was great to see.

Offline reddd10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: March 21, 2011, 08:39:05 am »
^^ but let's go for the first Torres theory just for our own pleasure.

Offline theblackhumor

• Anny Roader
  • oh boy.
« Reply #780 on: March 21, 2011, 08:43:57 am »
I felt Carroll slowly made his presence felt in the game. He had a couple of lose touches and misplaced pass at the start but grew into the game but slowed down again due to his fitness.

Offline MiserableP15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: March 21, 2011, 08:48:18 am »
no hoofing to carrol either which is brilliant. i was impressed with him today and for the first time ever i liked jay spearing's performance, i normally dont rate jay at all and dont think hes physically capable or talented enough to make it, but today he's won me over and now im a big fan, i hope he gets his chance and the time afforded to him as was the case with lucas coz i reckon hes gonna make it!

Not at all prone to massive mood swings then? I'll keep hold of this for the next time Jay has a shit/average game.  ;)

Offline Dentron

• Eastenders Sci-Fi Spinoff
  • Kopite
« Reply #782 on: March 21, 2011, 08:51:08 am »
:butt

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #783 on: March 21, 2011, 08:51:33 am »
Good performance and not without a fair bit of luck.  Carroll did fine and is finding his feet.  Suarez is simply amazing.  Sterling had a strong game as well which was great to see.

Sterling played??

I was really pleased, that was a tough trip and we came through it with 3 points. Thought Carroll came into the game more second half and we looked more cohesive. It'll come with time - as I said at half time there aren't the players around Suarez and Carroll to bring the very best out of them yet - but they'll both show enough flashes of what they can do to make the prospect of when they do mouthwatering.

20 points from 10 from Kenny, compared to 25 from 20 for Hodgson. Good job we were a fickle bunch, eh?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline MiserableP15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:35 am »
I just read a post in the Agger thread claiming that all four of our defenders didn't allow Sunderland to have a "sniff" other than that one shot on target.

I distinctly remember Johnson getting owned at least four times, blatantly so. Was it just me and my bias, or what?

I don't know why you're getting the abuse, I think Johnson was ok today defensively but you're right, he did get roasted a couple of times with both Lucas and Spearing bailing him out. I think people (and Kenny) will rightfully point out however that you defend as a team and overall, we defended well. You cannot argue with a clean sheet and a win away from home to a top 8 team.

What was funnier was when he tried to do a skill on the touchline, fell over the ball and then just looked a bit sheepish as he watched it trickle out of play under his feet. He was probably worse offensively today than he was defensively!

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: March 21, 2011, 08:58:03 am »
Dirk shouldn't be starting.

Four goals in his last two games and 10 goals either scored or created in just 14 games under Kenny says otherwise.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #786 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:01 am »
Agger/Skrtel partnership looked really really good. Hopefully when Kelly comes back in the team, Kenny will shift Carra to the bench and save him for the big games.

That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Four goals in his last two games and 10 goals either scored or created in just 14 games under Kenny says otherwise.

Stop it. The only facts/ stats allowed on here are those that prove Dirk is a donkey.

Offline Bossmann

• Anny Roader
  • Fans favourite
« Reply #787 on: March 21, 2011, 09:23:07 am »
Hey all,

I thought we played well. Controlled Sunderland due to Raul, Lucas, Jay and Kuyt all working extremly hard.

Remember that Sunderland had their first shot on goal in the 85th minute, such was our control. It was nice to lean back and actually feel comfortable with our defence away from home. Is it Agger? I think it is - he is such a calm presence and seems to make Skertl play much better too.

Anyway, Carroll was close to score and you can see how much use we will have from him in the coming seasons. It is clear that he is a bit unfit and has some way to go before being able to fully stamp his authority on the game.
I hope, I HOPE, that in the summer we will sign one more player who has wants to create and has the magic touch that Suarez seems to have - I just love wathing him play. Even though he doesn´t make his dribble or pass every time he never stops trying, must be a pain to play against. Love him! 

More on the defence, one thing that we need to change is how deep our back-four sits.
In the first half our pressing game from Suarez and the midfield was undone all the time because the back-four didn´t press up. This led to far too much space behind the midfield which Sunderland could relativly easy put the ball into.

I hope that changes sooner rather then later because it will the springboard on which to launch counter-attacks on the likes of Raul and Suarez.

Offline daboych

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #788 on: March 21, 2011, 09:37:49 am »
My only negative to a good win, and its not just yesterday is meirles being an absolute fanny. The lad won't go in for headers or 50/50 tackles, don't be saying he does, cos he doesn't. Took a few decent corners and has been played out of position ruthlessly but that's no excuse for his lack of bite.
YNWA

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #789 on: March 21, 2011, 09:44:40 am »
Suarez had no right to score that one but then again he is Suarez and he doesn't give a fuck.
You mind if i knick that for my signature ?
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: March 21, 2011, 09:47:46 am »
Stop it. The only facts/ stats allowed on here are those that prove Dirk is a donkey.

;D

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #791 on: March 21, 2011, 09:49:41 am »
Dirk shouldn't be starting.

with Gerrard out and Dirk's recent scoring form (even though they are mostly penos or tap-ins), I find it hard how you could keep him out of the team.  He is the engine of that team
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
  • 31/1/59 Sunderland 3-1 Wheeler Bimpson Morris
« Reply #792 on: March 21, 2011, 10:31:12 am »
My only negative to a good win, and its not just yesterday is meirles being an absolute fanny. The lad won't go in for headers or 50/50 tackles, don't be saying he does, cos he doesn't. Took a few decent corners and has been played out of position ruthlessly but that's no excuse for his lack of bite.

Agreed. With Gerrard out over the last couple of games I hoped that he would lead and dominate our midfield but that just hasn't happened. Almost the opposite, actually.
"Everybody at Anfield hopes that in the not too distant future Bill Shankly will lead the club back to the First Division - and also to a Cup Final victory."

Offline Broken Accidental Stars

• Kopite
  • Gedites know who le vrai Roi is
« Reply #793 on: March 21, 2011, 10:39:35 am »
Browsed Sunderland forum, they are pathetic  ::)
I loved this though - Jay Spearing looks like at least one of his biological parents was a potato.

There's topics about Hillsborough, Gary Mac's disputed penalty against them in 2000, and not renewing season tickets after the match on that forum. Mackems are a strange lot.
"Inspirational quote on perseverance, unfinished business, and fighting the good fight."
- Gérard Houllier

The ship has been steadied, le retour du Roi est bientôt arrivé.
Hic iacet Gérard Houllier, rex quondam, rexque futurus.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: March 21, 2011, 11:37:18 am »
I will take that 3 points thank you very much  ;D
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #795 on: March 21, 2011, 11:45:01 am »
Still surprised with some of the negativty. First and foremost - this was an AWAY WIN.

I will repeat that. An away win. With Sunderland more rested and our players looking a bit tired.

We had some great performances through the team with a few standing out. We scored a couple - could have had a few more and kept a clean sheet with 3 points away from home.

I honestly wonder what some people want sometimes.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: March 21, 2011, 11:46:59 am »
Still surprised with some of the negativty. First and foremost - this was an AWAY WIN.

I will repeat that. An away win. With Sunderland more rested and our players looking a bit tired.

We had some great performances through the team with a few standing out. We scored a couple - could have had a few more and kept a clean sheet with 3 points away from home.

nice post. United, chelsea, city, arsenal etc very rarely play teams off the park away from home. It shows the toughness of the team yesterday and is a great stepping stone to build on. Wins lik that next year and we will push on and threaten the top teams.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Almo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #797 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:25 am »
Love that El Ninny still can't make an impact, I just keep hoping he won't score for the rest of the season! In my sad bitter way I enjoyed that almost as much as our win.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: March 21, 2011, 11:48:37 am »

I concur doctor.
It shows great promise that a team having played in Europe, and feeling pretty low following exit, can go to Sunderland, work hard - and pick up all the spoils.

This is one of the results of the season.

RE: The penalty? It always evens out. The beach ball goal = the dodgy peno.
Decisions like this will go for and against you all season.

Offline postblue

• Anny Roader
  • holy comolli look at him go!
« Reply #799 on: March 21, 2011, 11:52:19 am »
Jay Spearing looks like at least one of his biological parents was a potato.

HAHAHAHAH oh dear.