Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Yeah sporting directors on the continent do interviews / are accountable publically

It's not so much taking the pressure off Slot - its more having the right people accountable to fans for things that affect our success.

It would be good to see this too. If they're not publicly accountable, then it is all too easy to leave the head coach exposed to all criticism. I had those frustrations during the Rodgers years.

Granted, he wasn't any good when it came to his preferred signings but the 'transfer committee' didn't help themselves with bargain bin duds that clearly weren't good enough for us. I found it frustrating that they weren't held to account for such wastage.

Media and Arts / Re: 2024 in Music
« Last post by smutchin on Today at 01:08:52 pm »
Sounds amazing - assume it was full band?

Yes, full band - just a shame that no longer includes Saul. Lias is an amazing front man though, and they’re a really tight band. Adam Harmer is probably my favourite guitarist right now.

They did a stripped back instore in Resident in Brighton and my mate said it didn't really work. I have seen Michael Head and Gruff Rhys solo this year and they worked brilliantly but they have the set up wrong as racks still up and no real stage.

At Rough Trade East it still feels very much like you’re in a record shop and not really at a proper gig but they do have a decent (but small) stage and the sound quality is always excellent - surprisingly so.
Swear Brighton make up new players every week.

Anyway, looking forward to north London derby. Spurs will have a go and be interesting if Arteta goes for it or not - they’re better team, but wonder if he’ll set up like they did in Europe or against us/city.
Cease and desist to who?
Cease and desist from what?
Confused.
I agree with that hence why i want us to look at 3 quality footballers. I dont want to debate Nunez and Szobozslai in great detail but thats about £120m and there is still a question over levels, first name on the team sheet and all that.

I also think we have to start having players take up the mantle as our best players are still the class of 2018-20.

What's the going cost of these types of footballers. Nunez £70 & Szoboszlai 60m weren't cheap and were not the finished article. Very lucky to get MacAllister now he is that guy
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Last post by Jm55 on Today at 01:07:25 pm »
The point is that Nunez has far more to his game. Jota is portrayed as a master finisher. Darwin is portrayed as someone who can't hit a barn door.

This is the issue with a lot of the discourse surrounding this (and many other) conversations about football.

Obviously there’s far more to Nunez’s game than being someone who ‘can’t hit a barn door’ and obviously Jota isn’t some super reliable Benzema esque marksman who rarely ever misses. People will try and make those sorts of arguments, usually because they don’t understand, or want to engage with the wider conversation.

What I will say, and this is purely anecdotal, is that when that ball was played across the goal to Nunez and the centre half clears it before he can reach it for a tap in, I geneuinly thought Nunez had got on the end of it and missed it, because it would be fairly consistent with the kind of thing we’ve seen from him this season. Equally; if he’s chipped some Pirlo esque effort from the edge of the area into the top corner it wouldn’t have surprised me either.

The question with Nunez for me is, if he doesn’t improve in any way from his current level, so we’re getting roughly 10-15 league goals a season plus a few against ‘lesser’ sides in Europe (as with the exception of the one he scored against Real all the other European ones have come against lesser sides) would you stick or twist? 2 months ago I think I’d have stuck, now I’m at the point where I feel he has to improve next season or I think we cut our losses.
Yep.

Apart from the media who share our outrage over the incident. They don't count because it spoils the argument.

You don't ever seem to have any outrage about any of the incidents. If I read you correctly, you don't really care that much and it's part and parcel of the game and we should just accept what decisions are made and get on with it?
Think it was this thread (jumping about a lot) that spoke of Ferguson, Wenger and Klopp and the power they wielded by the end of their time at their respective clubs. But they didn’t start off with that much control. That came about by the success they gave and gradually took on more and more responsibility. When Ferguson and Wenger left (different circumstances as Wenger had already dropped off a bit) you could tell it would be difficult to replace such strong personalities and a drop off felt inevitable.

From the outside, people will be expecting ring the same thing with us once Klopp leaves. As said above, I think changing the structure does probably take some pressure of Slot, while also making him more replaceable if things don’t go well.

If everything goes as well as Edwards and co hope then we have an impressive young coach, a decent squad with room for improvement and can probably hold our own on the mind of level we’re at now. Obviously there’s potential for things to drop off a level too. Everything is a bit uncertain.

The only club who are geared to chopping and changing manager/head coach and not having a drop off have been Chelsea. Although their last few years have been fairly barren. But they could previously change a coach and not seemingly have a proof of rebuilding. For the clubs who have had an all powerful manager it’s not been that easy. It’s a double edged sword. When they’re that successful, why wouldn’t you give them more control. But that just seems to make the drop when they leave more daunting.

That’s a lot of waffle really to say, let’s see what happens. :D I think I’m generally quite pragmatic. While I always hope for the best I think it’s fair to say Klopp had us over achieving and a failure to keep doing so shouldn’t really pinned on any new manager unless he’s a twat like Hodgson. But at the same time a new man, new ideas, hopefully backed with some new signings, that all feels potentially exciting too.

Agree Nick, this is it in a nutshell. When Wenger and Ferguson left their clubs, they left with it a massive vacuum that a Director of Football structure could and should have mitigated. It's no coincidence that Arsenal's resurgence in recent years is down to a strong DoF structure with Edu at the helm. Man Utd's woes are mainly due to the fact they are still playing catch up in that regards.

FSG have always been ahead of the curve with this, right from the word go when they bought us. There's inevitably teething problems with trial and error but over the last 14 years, I have confidence they have evolved and honed a strong system that is ready to go upon Klopp's departure. Bringing Edwards back is good enough evidence that they faith in the project once more.

Although I hope the period of instability when a lot of personnel like Edwards and Ward left initially, along with FSG wanting to sell, hasn't disrupted this process. That was the time when I feared FSG were neglecting the structure of the club, and I just wonder if it impacted our ability to capitalise on our success after 2020.

Now they seem to have been really lining up their ducks in the last year and seem reinvigorated in Liverpool as a project. I can't see us being a club in the wilderness with such a system in place. Even if Slot doesn't work out, it can be rectified rather than ripping it up and starting again (which is what Man Utd do every time they hire a new manager).
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Last post by Boston Bosox on Today at 01:05:25 pm »
Liverpool Line up V Arsenal
Mrozek ,Miles , Nallo , Williams , Davidson , McConnell , Bajcetic , Clark , Gordon , Danns , Koumas .
subs
Pinnington , O.kelly (GK) , Pilling , Frauendorf , Nyoni ,
Cricket is shite. That's my take ;)

It's not even that good. Fucking even worse than darts, and that's saying something.

Should launch those ashes into space along with all the dickheads that watch it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10