Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé  (Read 3092410 times)

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2023, 12:37:15 am »
Just to be on the safe side of things, everybody here is signing for the 4-3-3 of 2021-2022 side, yes?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2023, 01:07:21 am »
Under 20 World Cup starting later this week. Let's buy some kids!

Our scouts.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2023, 01:23:15 am »
Well, that doesn't look "on the left" to me ...

I'm not even sure what semantics you two are arguing over, but since you're doing heatmaps and arguing about left/LCM - here's ours from last few seasons (Thiago) for comparisons sake:

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2023, 01:30:42 am »
Just to be on the safe side of things, everybody here is signing for the 4-3-3 of 2021-2022 side, yes?

I’d personally like to see Mac Allister in the 2008 Gerrard role just off Torres Nunez

Online G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2023, 02:43:32 am »
I would be happy with two midfielders, Lavia and Caicedo.

Lavia, not ready for a regular first team starter in the 6 role, but there is still some life in Fabinho, and he can be the understudy, seeing action and bringing him through.

Caicedo as our main midfield signing, to be a fixture in the side. I would play him as an 8, on the right side to replace Henderson, who in turn reverts to the Milner role. Comes in, closes games out, starts occasionally, keeps standards up around the club, but not a main player any more.

Caicedo adds much needed athleticism. He is strong in the tackle too. He is also fast and covers a lot of ground. This will be important as Trent develops his playmaker role as an inverted right back. He has been so productive in that role in our winning run, and if we are to extrapolate that over a season it will be very special. The downside is a few more gaps opening up, but an athlete like Caicedo shuts the bulk of that down.

So for me, two midfielders. Lavia and Caicedo. (If Fabinho is departing, I would upgrade to Ugarte, who is ready now). But I am operating on the premise that Fabinho stays, there is still some life in the old dog, and Caicedo will be pricey, £80M or so. Hence the need for a young up and coming plus an expensive midfielder.

Add a central defender to Caicedo and Lavia, and we won’t look back.

Edit: obviously we are looking at lots of players, and it could easily be Ugarte and MacAllister, or Gravenberch, or Kone, or Thuram, etc.

But Lavia and Caicedo would be good.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2023, 02:47:21 am »
Mac Allister is todays Iniesta.

He’s a proper football player who makes his team better by playing the game at a level the players around don’t think of. He’s not the strongest, biggest or fastest but you can make a case that he’s been instrumental in Brightons recent rise and Argentina winning the World Cup.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2023, 04:06:30 am »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2023, 06:00:50 am »
I'm not even sure what semantics you two are arguing over, but since you're doing heatmaps and arguing about left/LCM - here's ours from last few seasons (Thiago) for comparisons sake:

Yes, as you can see, there is a difference between Mac Allister and Thiago ...

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2023, 06:17:10 am »
No, we don't. The 3rd midfielder would only take away the playing time from Jones, Elliott and Bajcetic. That money will be much better spent on a left sided central defender ...

Have you even watched us this year, of course we need at least 3 midfielders.  Ox, Keita, Milner are gone.  Fabinho played great today, but he has been a shadow of himself this year.  Henderson is a great captain, but the miles are catching up to him.  Thiago is injured 50% of the time. The young guns you mention (Jones, Elliott and Bajcetic) have had moments this year, but to think we should be relying on them to carry our midfield is madness. Ask yourself if any of the top 3-4 teams in England, Spain, Germany would be planning on starting those three and you'll have your answer.  Hopefully, they have an important part to play in our future, but we need serious reinforcements at the midfield position.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2023, 06:33:28 am »
Have you even watched us this year, of course we need at least 3 midfielders.  Ox, Keita, Milner are gone.  Fabinho played great today, but he has been a shadow of himself this year.  Henderson is a great captain, but the miles are catching up to him.  Thiago is injured 50% of the time. The young guns you mention (Jones, Elliott and Bajcetic) have had moments this year, but to think we should be relying on them to carry our midfield is madness. Ask yourself if any of the top 3-4 teams in England, Spain, Germany would be planning on starting those three and you'll have your answer.  Hopefully, they have an important part to play in our future, but we need serious reinforcements at the midfield position.

To be fair, Jones is 22. The problem isn’t age or ability it’s availability.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2023, 06:53:45 am »

I think last summer this would have been perfect, but things have moved on significantly since then.

We're losing 3 first team midfielders this summer. Keita and Ox in particular are players that we would hope to be available to start games and play significant minutes, though obviously due to form and fitness their contributions have dwindled away to almost nil. And it's clear that we could have done with an extra first choice midfielder last summer, a need that has only grown as Fabinho's form has dropped off significantly and Thiago has spent more time in the physio room.

IF everything turns around next season - Fab rediscovers his form, Thiago stays fit, Bajectic / Elliot / Jones all kick on, then your pair of midfield signings would probably be sufficient. But that's a vast "IF" to me. We won't know until it's too late whether Thiago has recovered from his hip operation and whether Fabinho has got his mojo back. If they don't then bringing in Lavia as a key signing is a massive risk.

For me we need to sign two top class players we can plug into the side from day one, players who are as good as or better than our current first choice trio. Much as I love him to bits, we need to replace Thiago now, not in 12 months when his contract expires.

We're playing in Europe, we'll have plenty of games for everyone to get minutes. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Lavia, he looks very talented. Just that if we do, he should be one of three mids we bring in, and if necessary we can loan Bajectic out for a year to get some regular first team football.

Not that we will, but if we had say:
Thiago, Hendo, Fabinho, Mac Allister, Mount, Lavia, Elliot and Jones as our midfield group next season, with Baj on loan, then when Thiago leaves we bring Bajectic back in... I feel we'd be far better placed to compete in 4 competitions.

Though still holding out hope we get Barella in :lmao

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2023, 06:57:39 am »
Have you even watched us this year

Not really. I don't watch any football. I only do computer games ...

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2023, 07:25:33 am »
I am not sure that Mac Allister does that role Jones is doing anywhere as good. Jones seems perfect for it, even the whole going out wide bit.

We have been linked to good players but I am still hoping for players of a higher class. If we somehow get CL football then that will become even more possible.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2023, 07:50:03 am »
How similar is Mac Allister to Gini?
Not really similar. Gini is a lot stronger. Mac would be slightly more attack-minded.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2023, 07:53:53 am »
I am not sure that Mac Allister does that role Jones is doing anywhere as good. Jones seems perfect for it, even the whole going out wide bit.

We have been linked to good players but I am still hoping for players of a higher class. If we somehow get CL football then that will become even more possible.
Bellingham?  ;D

Didn't they say after the game last night we are looking at more the number 10 type midfielder now hence MacAllister?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2023, 08:00:34 am »

Mac Allister is a better player than Jones. Let’s not start kidding ourselves here but Jones could become better in years to come.

You are looking at it the wrong way. Look at it like will Jones stay fit all season? Do we need a better squad? Do we need better competition for places?

It’s not really about how you see the current team now. The squad have made hard work of things this season on a whole.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2023, 08:07:32 am »

He super good at Protecting the ball and good at progressing the ball. Also good at helping creating shots. He seems to fit well with Jones to rotate with jones.
Need 4 MFers and need a replacement in the squad long term then thiago would rather do that a year early. Assuming his cost is closer to 50-60 would be fine with that considering that basically the new 30 mil.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2023, 08:23:28 am »
Mac Allister is a better player than Jones.

It’s not clear that he is - and if he is it’s marginal. If you try and specify what he’s better at it’s tough - and they are decently similar
He’s way more available but that’s a different question

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2023, 08:28:30 am »
It’s not clear that he is - and if he is it’s marginal. If you try and specify what he’s better at it’s tough - and they are decently similar

Using your criteria, Elliott is better than Mount ...

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2023, 08:28:47 am »
The Klopp comments about this being the long term tactical plan and he's brought it forward due to our poor season.. Can certainly see why we are targetting Mount based on that, he'd be excellent in the "Henderson" role.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2023, 08:30:47 am »
The Klopp comments about this being the long term tactical plan and he's brought it forward due to our poor season.. Can certainly see why we are targetting Mount based on that, he'd be excellent in the "Henderson" role.

He probably would be, shame that we won't sign him ...

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2023, 08:34:41 am »
I would be happy with two midfielders, Lavia and Caicedo.

Lavia, not ready for a regular first team starter in the 6 role, but there is still some life in Fabinho, and he can be the understudy, seeing action and bringing him through.

Caicedo as our main midfield signing, to be a fixture in the side. I would play him as an 8, on the right side to replace Henderson, who in turn reverts to the Milner role. Comes in, closes games out, starts occasionally, keeps standards up around the club, but not a main player any more.

Caicedo adds much needed athleticism. He is strong in the tackle too. He is also fast and covers a lot of ground. This will be important as Trent develops his playmaker role as an inverted right back. He has been so productive in that role in our winning run, and if we are to extrapolate that over a season it will be very special. The downside is a few more gaps opening up, but an athlete like Caicedo shuts the bulk of that down.

So for me, two midfielders. Lavia and Caicedo. (If Fabinho is departing, I would upgrade to Ugarte, who is ready now). But I am operating on the premise that Fabinho stays, there is still some life in the old dog, and Caicedo will be pricey, £80M or so. Hence the need for a young up and coming plus an expensive midfielder.

Add a central defender to Caicedo and Lavia, and we won’t look back.

Edit: obviously we are looking at lots of players, and it could easily be Ugarte and MacAllister, or Gravenberch, or Kone, or Thuram, etc.

Do you get 50p every time you mention Lavia?
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2023, 08:40:46 am »
Mac Allister is a better player than Jones. Let’s not start kidding ourselves here but Jones could become better in years to come.

You are looking at it the wrong way. Look at it like will Jones stay fit all season? Do we need a better squad? Do we need better competition for places?

It’s not really about how you see the current team now. The squad have made hard work of things this season on a whole.
The data not sure it does but regardless need multiple players for the MF considering the demands of the schedule.
Both are good.
Need 4 players for the MF roles outside of the 6.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2023, 08:49:52 am »
Using your criteria, Elliott is better than Mount ...

Don’t know what criteria you mean or what the relevance of this is

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2023, 08:49:59 am »
He probably would be, shame that we won't sign him ...

A great man said the below 2 days ago and I believe him.

None of you knows how much we have to spend. None of you knows how much would certain players cost. In fact, none of you has the slightest idea who will we really sign.
And still, you keep arguing :lmao

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2023, 08:58:12 am »
I remain very excited by the possibility of Mount in that RCM spot. Big upgrade - in theory anyway.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2023, 09:01:10 am »

Im not sure Mac Allister is better, certainly not what we are asking Jones to do. He presses the ball better, goes out wide and progresses it better.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2023, 09:12:04 am »
A great man said the below 2 days ago and I believe him.

None of you knows how much we have to spend. None of you knows how much would certain players cost. In fact, none of you has the slightest idea who will we really sign.
And still, you keep arguing :lmao

I think that he will stay at Chelsea. And I was not arguing, I agree that he would be good in the new "Henderson" role ...

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2023, 09:22:56 am »
I remain very excited by the possibility of Mount in that RCM spot. Big upgrade - in theory anyway.

Him getting us a CL place v Newcastle then signing a few days later would be the dream.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2023, 09:27:14 am »
I don't really care if Mac Allister is better than Jones on current form or not, because Jones is superb, Mac Allister is pretty robust and we need to be able to rotate regularly without compromising on quality like we have for the past couple of seasons. That opinion might change if we sign him and then fail to improve other areas of the midfield, but for now I think having a few versatile midfielders who are press resistant and good at progressing the ball would be a huge step forward.

The only question is whether there are players out there who are better than our current targets and available, and I haven't really seen any evidence that there are.

Offline 5-times-Phill

• Main Stander
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2023, 09:36:55 am »
A lot of people pointing out that we need three midfielders because Keita, Ox and Milner are all leaving (Arthur too I guess) but surely whoever we sign they’ll individually play more minutes than those 3 (4) combined? Not every person needs replacing, if anything it was the vast number of midfielders we had last summer that prevented us improving the quality and availability of the midfield, if you go by Klopp’s quotes at the time.

That’s not to say we don’t need three midfielders btw, but it won’t be to replace those three players or their roles in the squad, it would be to replace/compete with the roles currently performed by an aging Henderson, an injured Thiago and a struggling Fabinho.

Although Jones’ recent all action performances might make Thiago’s role obsolete.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2023, 09:45:09 am »
Klopp on Trent: we will have time next season to really work on his new position.”

I know I’m massively reading into this but I think we’re buying a RB. And if we do, I think it will be Timber.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/15/chelsea-victor-osimhen-napoli-mauricio-pochettino-mason-mount

Thanks for sharing this BD - very interesting indeed!
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2023, 09:46:58 am »
A lot of people pointing out that we need three midfielders because Keita, Ox and Milner are all leaving (Arthur too I guess) but surely whoever we sign they’ll individually play more minutes than those 3 (4) combined? Not every person needs replacing, if anything it was the vast number of midfielders we had last summer that prevented us improving the quality and availability of the midfield, if you go by Klopp’s quotes at the time.

That’s not to say we don’t need three midfielders btw, but it won’t be to replace those three players or their roles in the squad, it would be to replace/compete with the roles currently performed by an aging Henderson, an injured Thiago and a struggling Fabinho.

Although Jones’ recent all action performances might make Thiago’s role obsolete.

I think you can make an argument that we never replaced Gini ;D So that's one new mid, and arguably the one we needed last summer.

Then one to replace Naby, if you think that Jones and Elliot between them effectively replace Ox.

Then one coming in to replace Thiago as we start to phase him out.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2023, 09:54:14 am »
I’ve slotted Mac Allister into the Cazorla pigeon hole in my brain. Can do everything, isn’t the quickest, played a key marginal role in a World Cup win, ten yards quicker upstairs. Add in a Milner style ability to shithouse and that’s an appealing package to me.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2023, 10:02:42 am »

Honestly, if I have to explain I can’t help you.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2023, 10:04:31 am »
Honestly, if I have to explain I can’t help you.
This is always the easiest evasion tactic. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2023, 10:09:51 am »

Well if we want to compete in the league next year playing on a Thursday and Sunday (as at moment a EL spot still looks more likely) then we need to beef our squad up with quality. Yes, the likes of Clark, Doak, Gordon etc will get minutes in the EL but we want to challenge for the league.

Losing Keita, Milner, Ox. That’s losing quality players who all need replacing. We need players that can give competition.

We do need 2/3 midfielders this season. Yes, great we doing well now but the season from a midfield point of view hasn’t been good enough.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2023, 10:10:45 am »
I’ve slotted Mac Allister into the Cazorla pigeon hole in my brain. Can do everything, isn’t the quickest, played a key marginal role in a World Cup win, ten yards quicker upstairs. Add in a Milner style ability to shithouse and that’s an appealing package to me.

Sounds a lot like David Silva there
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2023, 10:12:26 am »

"Package" being the key word when it comes to Mac Allister. I can understand why so many posters can't see his true value (I wasn't seeing it either, until we were linked with him, and I started watching him more carefully), since he is one of those "jack of all trades, master of none" players that every manager absolutely loves having ...

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2023, 10:13:26 am »
Well, that doesn't look "on the left" to me ...

Pointless Peter. Regardless of heat maps, everyone has a position (or a starting position) on the pitch, and Mac Allister's has predominately been LCM. Otherwise you would say he plays as a big red blob.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.