Author Topic: Moving to Liverpool  (Read 18366 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Moving to Liverpool
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2023, 07:27:23 pm »
Is the Grafton still going and doing grab a granny nights?

Your missus away or something? :D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2023, 07:30:44 pm »
Is the Grafton still going and doing grab a granny nights?

Asking for a friend?

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2023, 10:01:38 pm »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2023, 10:58:18 pm »
Waynes a bit lonely

I’m sorry, please tell him to finish inside her.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2023, 01:23:09 am »
I’m sorry, please tell him to finish inside her.

:o   

;D

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2023, 11:30:36 am »
Great shout, watching films is my cup of tea, so will definitely be checking this place out.

For films I'd also say the "other" Everyman, like in FACT I sit off on a couch (back when I drank, with white wine) - total anti-multiplex vibes in a swish cinema, https://metquarter.com/cinema/

the Phil is really worth a shout as well

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2023, 01:12:30 pm »
For films I'd also say the "other" Everyman, like in FACT I sit off on a couch (back when I drank, with white wine) - total anti-multiplex vibes in a swish cinema, https://metquarter.com/cinema/

the Phil is really worth a shout as well

Thanks ToneLa, deffo looks worth checking out although I have to say, those are bordering on London prices. Same with FACT. Can't believe how much it costs to see a film these days!

There does seem to be loads on at the Phil too, including lots of films. Psycho with a live orchestra at the end of October is very tempting.

As an aside, Liverpool must have more quarters than any other city!

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2023, 04:43:24 am »
Got a big soft spot for the VUE in Birkenhead. £5 tickets and the place is generally pretty empty for kids films at kids times so you just sit where you feel like and no-one cares.

I need to do an update on this thread and share some of my photos and experiences.

Long story short: I absolutely love it here. Feel like I've found my home.  Seeing the Liverpool waterfront and ferrying to work every day is an absolute joy. Liverpool is miles better than London, but then you all knew that anyway, right? :-)

This city is way more beautiful than I'd realised as well, real sense of identity and just crazy bits of history all over the place, and everything just much looser than in London. EG - I don't think I've had my ferry ticket checked for about two months worth of daily travel, because they know my face.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2023, 12:14:58 pm »
Got a big soft spot for the VUE in Birkenhead. £5 tickets and the place is generally pretty empty for kids films at kids times so you just sit where you feel like and no-one cares.

I need to do an update on this thread and share some of my photos and experiences.

Long story short: I absolutely love it here. Feel like I've found my home.  Seeing the Liverpool waterfront and ferrying to work every day is an absolute joy. Liverpool is miles better than London, but then you all knew that anyway, right? :-)

This city is way more beautiful than I'd realised as well, real sense of identity and just crazy bits of history all over the place, and everything just much looser than in London. EG - I don't think I've had my ferry ticket checked for about two months worth of daily travel, because they know my face.
Nice one to hear that you are loving it.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2023, 04:15:51 pm »

Thats great to hear! How about your kids and partner, have they settled in alright?

Ferry to work is the best commute. I'd deffo do that too, if I ever moved over the water.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2023, 04:52:34 pm »
Nice one HBHR!

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2023, 07:21:30 pm »

Hi HBHR, I will deffo give the VUE a go, as someone else has recommended it to me and I can get discounted tickets through my work.

You're right, it is a really beautiful city! Would love to hear about other interesting places you've visited since you have been in Liverpool as I am basically doing the same as you. Am moving from London after 30 odd years and can't wait. Hopefully I will feel the same way as you before long.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2023, 06:13:15 am »
Thats great to hear! How about your kids and partner, have they settled in alright?

Ferry to work is the best commute. I'd deffo do that too, if I ever moved over the water.
Honeymoon period? Definitely. Summer holidays were tough though, the weather meant she couldn't get out as much with the kids and, as amazing as kids are, you need a break sometimes. But that's so much more freedom for the kids now and I can see how it's helping their confidence grow. Son starts nursery this week which will be massive!

As for the ferry, I get to cycle along the promenade and then see that glorious waterfront every day! On the way home the other evening the whole thing from Albert to Bramley Moore Dock was framed by the signal most magnificent reasonable I've ever seen.

Also, I'm turning into some sort of shipspotting nerd. Thanks Wirral! Hahaha.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 06:23:01 am by hesbighesred »

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2023, 06:21:48 am »
Hi HBHR, I will deffo give the VUE a go, as someone else has recommended it to me and I can get discounted tickets through my work.

You're right, it is a really beautiful city! Would love to hear about other interesting places you've visited since you have been in Liverpool as I am basically doing the same as you. Am moving from London after 30 odd years and can't wait. Hopefully I will feel the same way as you before long.

Two things I remember reading on her before coming up:
1) You won't regret it and...
2) Liverpool's ace and always has been.

My DMs are open by the way- I don't exactly check daily but send me a message and I'd be delighted to help you settle any way I can. I know how hard it is to move and, whole you won't miss London as a city, friends and support networks take longer. We're still finding our feet too so we're be helping each other out.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 06:44:00 am by hesbighesred »

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2023, 07:40:25 am »
Thats so good to hear! Hope nursery goes well.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2023, 08:41:13 am »
Honeymoon period? Definitely. Summer holidays were tough though, the weather meant she couldn't get out as much with the kids and, as amazing as kids are, you need a break sometimes. But that's so much more freedom for the kids now and I can see how it's helping their confidence grow. Son starts nursery this week which will be massive!

As for the ferry, I get to cycle along the promenade and then see that glorious waterfront every day! On the way home the other evening the whole thing from Albert to Bramley Moore Dock was framed by the signal most magnificent reasonable I've ever seen.

Also, I'm turning into some sort of shipspotting nerd. Thanks Wirral! Hahaha.

Best bit is your kids will end up with Scouse accents ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2023, 09:50:27 am »
Best bit is your kids will end up with Scouse accents ;D
Ex-ach-ly! (It's already happening to my daughter, here basic voice hasn't changed much yet but she often uses the scouse up-at-the-end intonation without realising it. It's lovely. My son, on the other hand, is currently speaking predominantly German, so when he really starts using the English he already has it'll be because he's in an environment of total scouse immersion - so he'll be scouse from the off. As long as he doesn't start supporting Everton, eh? Hahaha

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2023, 10:07:36 am »
Ex-ach-ly! (It's already happening to my daughter, here basic voice hasn't changed much yet but she often uses the scouse up-at-the-end intonation without realising it. It's lovely. My son, on the other hand, is currently speaking predominantly German, so when he really starts using the English he already has it'll be because he's in an environment of total scouse immersion - so he'll be scouse from the off. As long as he doesn't start supporting Everton, eh? Hahaha

That would be grounds for having him taken off you on the grounds of child abuse  ;)

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2023, 10:20:33 am »
Right, just wanted to share some highlights of my time here so far:

o I love the ships! I'm in danger of becoming a shipspotter. I feel like it puts me in touch of the rest of the world and it has given me a much better conceptual framework for how the world works, what with the container docks and the oil storage depots. It's much easier to imagine how the UK connects to the wider world, and how oil powers the consumer economy. I understood that hypthetically, but it's another thing when you see the physicality of it and start extrapolating that to the wider world.

o It's incredible that there's still shipbuilding here. I commute by ferry and also regularly use it for trips into Liverpool, so I see the shipyards on a regular basis. There was one ship either being refitted or build, one day recently I saw it sailing down the Mersey on what could well have been its maiden voyage. There's something deeply moving and profound about seeing a machine that so many people have worked hard on, day by day by day, devoting their time, energy, minds and bodies on building bit by bit finally doing what it was always meant to do: sail.

o The view of Liverpool from the Wirral is absolutely breathtaking, and I get to see it not only twice a day on my commute but whenever I feel like it because it's literally 5 minutes from my door.
o On which note; have a beer at the Ferry sometime. It's a day pub so decent grub and good for families, and you can sit outside and (literally, haha) drink in that view. There's also a big rock which denotes that spot as a speaker's corner, if you fancy getting up on your soapbox about something!

o The beaches! I had no idea! Miles of sandy beaches stretching off into (almost) infinity is not something I'd associated with Liverpool but - wow. My friend visited by car which meant we could pop to Leasowe beach and have fish and chips at the Green Hut (highly, highly recommended, oustanding food, entertaining bird life that will - alongside your children - steal chips off you and a sort of fun retirement home vibe among the clientelle) and just had a thoroughly lovely time.

o Bidston Moss - not only is it outstandingly beautiful and a lovely, peaceful place to walk, it has a windmill and a really interesting story behind it. I won't tell you it - go and read it for yourself! It's on a plaque on the windmill.

o Liverpool and Merseyside are much more beautiful than I'd thought. I hadn't thought they were ugly, not by any means, but I was expecting something a bit more like I remember Manchester being, or Birmingham - some nice parts, IE the Three Graces, but mostly a mix of terraced housing with the odd brutalist block thrown in. Boy was I wrong! The whole area feels much more unified, architecturally, than somewhere like London does because so much of it was build within a particular timespan, that sort of glory era of late 18th C to early 20th C - Georgian and Victorian era buildings all over the place. It's not quite breathtaking, but it's hands down the most intertesting city in terms of architecture that I've visited in the UK.

o History is everywhere! There are so many interesting quirks, firsts, eras and - well, again I don't need to tell you about it, see it for yourself, or come and visit...

o Wallasey library - very close to where I live is the loveliest library I've ever been to. Again, a fantastic building with a playground next to it and a cemetery behind it. What a concept! A library with a playground next to it, what possible better place to spend time with kids?

o The people! Ultimately it's the people that really make up the spirit of any place and the people here are fantastic. It's so nice to feel able to share a comment or a moment with a complete stranger who happens to be next to you, and Merseysiders are so receptive to these moments, they're actively encouraged and it makes you feel welcome and part of the wider fabric of your community in a way that simply cannot exist in a place like London.

o The Scouse vernacular is incredible. I love it. Not just because it's fun to listen to but because the implied concepts behind the vernacular are often phenomenal too. I'll give two examples:
Boss as a synonym for good.

- Boss = someone in charge, in control, someone who manages, who leads.
- Made up as a synonym for happy = I'm invented. I'm created. I'm a story or a picture that came out of nothing yet exists here in front of you. The whole meaning of life is contained within that one phrasal verb. What a very enlightened place this is! (and it's there in the name. Liverpool = Live Pool = Loop Evil if you play it backwards. Like on a record! There literally is a satanic message if you play Liverpool backwards, lol!).

o I could go on and on for days about how much I love Liverpool (and hell, why not? If you want me to just drop me a message and we'll go for a drink and a walk and a talk in and around the Ferry, I'd share this place with anyone as long as they're happy for my kids to come along too!) but I'll leave with one last thing:

The music! I work in a small office of maybe 20 staff and I met more musicians after a week in that office that I did in around 20 years of living in London. No wonder Liverpool has been so musically influential! It's because perhaps 30+% of people play music in some form or another. Those public pianos are busy every day with people playing music. Every third person you meet plays music. Everyone knows multiple people who play music. You want live music at 11am on Tuesday morning? Being played to a pub full of people enthusiastically joining in? You can find it. In multiple places. Brilliant, just brilliant.

o I remember someone saying on here that Liverpool is ace and always has been. Absolutely bang on, that.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2023, 10:21:44 am »
That would be grounds for having him taken off you on the grounds of child abuse  ;)
Child rearing should be as close as possible to absolutely 100% consensual. Should that ever happen it'll be because he consented 100% to Evertonianism and it'll be me who ends up getting the abuse for it!

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2023, 10:25:59 am »
Loving that new sig someone put it, by the way!

There's a story to that too, just in case anyone reading this doesn't get the reference. Us Wallsonions used to be shipbreakers and smugglers. It a swampy area of Merseyside that none but those who knew the paths could get in or out of which meant that it became a very literal pirate haven. But normally those hardcore communities of shipbreakers tended to live in isolated places that ships happened to pass by. The ships they broke were strangers ships. That's not the case here, the Wallsonians were breaking the ships of the people over the water or even just down the road from Birkenhead. Kind of like shitting in your own pot, you know? And there's still smugglers tunnels under Wallasey that you can go and visit - check out Wallasey days gone by on Facebook.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2023, 10:27:20 am »
Child rearing should be as close as possible to absolutely 100% consensual. Should that ever happen it'll be because he consented 100% to Evertonianism and it'll be me who ends up getting the abuse for it!

[Indonesian version lower on this page]

A good mate of mine contacted me last night and asked for some advice. The arse had dropped out of his world. The worst thing that could happen to a Red had happened. Here is the story I related to him, to try and blow away the clouds of his misfortune.

The year was 1987, the month September. The bluenoses had been crowned champions in May. Wooly & Mrs Wooly were living in the sleepy hamlet of Woolton Village. Little Wooly (Billy) was about to start his second year at school. After a hard days slog in the office (BICC) and a couple of quick slurps in the local on the way home, I arrived home to be greeted by "You better have a word with that son of yours".

This was not a rare greeting as Mrs Wooly often used the phrase "Wait till yer Dad gets home".

Me lad had obviously been crying, his face all red and his eyes all puffed out. I took the
lad in the kitchen cos it was obviously going to be a man's conversation.

"Whats up lad?" I asked.

"I've been thinking" offered the wee lad.

"Well that's a good start" I came back.

"All me mates in school" a long pause followed "Are .... are .... erm".

"Are what Lad, spit it out".

"Well .... they're Evertonians".

My heart missed a beat or two, what on earth was happening here, "YES?"

"Well I've been thinking ..... perhaps I could be an Evertonian"

My heart stopped, I couldn't believe my ears.

In the space of about three seconds, I thought, How am I gonna explain this to me old fellah? What will me mates say in work when they find out? What have I spawned? Can this be the Antichrist hiding in my son? What are they teaching him in this school ?

"WHAT?!!!" was all I could manage.

"Erm .... I ..... was .... thinking .... I .... could .... be .... an"

I stiffened. "Dont you dare use that word again in this house."

Little Wooly began to shake, but he stuck to his guns. It was my turn to stutter "But .... but .... well don't expect any more pocket money from me" was the best I could come up with.

I could see the lad was determined and nothing I could say would ever change his mind at this moment in time. So I sat on the couch with my head in my hands, Mrs Wooly made herself busy in the kitchen, my little girl sat next to me patting me on the knee, "Its ok Dad" she said.

The bottom was falling out of me world and all I could do was sit there mumbling back to her "You don't understand love".

The only thing for me to do was to take the dog for a walk (usual thing when losing composure). Walking 50 yards up the road I came to a pub; that was far enough, the dog was looking knackered. Sitting in a quiet corner sipping a pint of mild was always my way of sorting out problems and after a short while it came to me!

When I got back home Mrs Wooly was putting the tea on the table. The dog went back to the yard after its lengthy walk, half a bitter and a pack of crisps, while we ate our tea. I finished my tea first and left the table. I went up stairs into the lad's room and picked up his quilt and pillow and returned to the kitchen.

"Have you finished yer tea Lad?"

"Yes Dad."

"Right are you ready then?"

"What for?" he said.

"Well I've been doing a spot of thinking meself and if you're as determined as you seem to be to become ONE OF THEM, then there's only one thing for it. I opened the back door and whistled the dog, "Sam get in 'ere."

The lad looked at me with confused eyes. As Sam ran past me and into his favourite spot in the living room I walked the lad out into the back yard.

"There you go Son, your new Home" said I pointing at the 3 foot x 3 foot x 4 foot kennel and without a word in he went.

I went back into the kitchen, the face on the wife was tantamount to murder and I must admit I felt sick inside. I told her he would knock on the door any minute now and things would be fine. A determined little beggar was young Wooly and after an hour there was still no knock.

My missus was on the verge of going ape. She said, "Let him in love". I looked toward the back door. It was hammering down with rain and as I peeped through kitchen nets. I could see him, he was like a drowned rat. My admiration for the lad had tripled, Evertonian or not he was a determined and very proud lad.

I had to give up, I couldn't let this go on much longer ... and then I heard a little knock. I rushed to the back door and looked through the glass, he was absolutely soaked. Pan-faced as ever I said "Yes Son?"

"Can I come in?" he said. If he could read my mind he would have known HE'D WON.

He stood inside the back door and continued, with a nervous giggle, "It's not the best idea I've ever had, is it"? The tears ran down my face, how heartless could a Father be? Fancy doing that to a boy of SIX - I was ashamed of what I'd done.

We walked together to the bathroom and I ran him a hot bath. He was sitting on the loo lid and I told him about the history of Liverpool Football Club while the bath was running, and I explained that although Everton had won the league, it would be a long time before they ever won it again.

I told him about the virtues of picking a team and sticking with them, as against becoming a turncoat. He just nodded as I spoke. Mrs Wooly stood behind him ruffling his wringing wet hair and giving me daggers at the same time.

After Billy had gone to bed that night I rang my boss and asked him for an emergency holiday, after all this was an EMERGENCY of the highest order. The following day, the little Liverpudlian toddled off to school with a whole new perspective about what it was to be a Red man. Wooly also toddled off to B&Q.

Working like a slave, by the time 3.00pm arrived the project "RED ROOM" was complete. In this short space of time I had painted all his walls and his door with white gloss, all the frames and skirting with red gloss. I had bought a new Liverpool FC quilt cover and pillow. A Liverpool lamp. A Red radio-cassette player (with a Liverpool tape of Kop songs). I had hung all me old European Liverpool flags and Liverpool scarves on the walls. His ceiling was covered with an old banner which had been stapled to the Plaster (not recommended) saying ONCE A RED, ALWAYS A RED, ROME 1977.

A lot of money was spent that day but the look on his face when he got home was well worth every penny spent.

Young Billy is now a 23 year old 6' 3" giant of a man, and has repeatedly thanked his Dad for showing him the light. The story is told as often by him as it is by me and we always laugh together, but I always wonder if he knows how close I came to giving in, and how close he came to living the rest of his life as a BLUENOSE.

© Wooltonian 2004

Post Script:
In todays society above action would probably be classed as child abuse and I would not suggest anyone follows my lead. But doing a lad's bedroom up is still within the realms of good parenthood.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=34550.msg518561#msg518561

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2023, 10:30:39 am »
That's lovely that HBHR

I put on Chet Baker playing Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding it made me feel so good

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2023, 12:09:20 pm »
If you love the beaches, have a trip over to Freshfield/Formby (Merseyrail train to Southport). Not only is the beach great, its a nature reserve with dunes and pine woods. Its easy to imagine you're in the South of France or somewhere like that.

Also would recommend visiting North Wales sometime, easy by train.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2023, 01:10:34 pm »
... As long as he doesn't start supporting Everton, eh? Hahaha
Only worry about that if starts speaking Welsh.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2023, 07:55:35 am »
Lovely post Seb mate. Love it.

I'm honestly made up that you & your family have settled down up here. You seem so happy :)

And you've got so much more to discover - on the fringes of the entire Wirral, the pubs and architecture on the edges of Liverpool City Centre which you might not have seen yet and further afeild in the leafy suburbs of south Liverpool such as Sefton & Calderstones park, Hale, Speke Hall etc.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2023, 10:39:19 am »

o I love the ships! I'm in danger of becoming a shipspotter. I feel like it puts me in touch of the rest of the world and it has given me a much better conceptual framework for how the world works, what with the container docks and the oil storage depots. It's much easier to imagine how the UK connects to the wider world, and how oil powers the consumer economy. I understood that hypthetically, but it's another thing when you see the physicality of it and start extrapolating that to the wider world.

o It's incredible that there's still shipbuilding here. I commute by ferry and also regularly use it for trips into Liverpool, so I see the shipyards on a regular basis. There was one ship either being refitted or build, one day recently I saw it sailing down the Mersey on what could well have been its maiden voyage. There's something deeply moving and profound about seeing a machine that so many people have worked hard on, day by day by day, devoting their time, energy, minds and bodies on building bit by bit finally doing what it was always meant to do: sail.

o The view of Liverpool from the Wirral is absolutely breathtaking, and I get to see it not only twice a day on my commute but whenever I feel like it because it's literally 5 minutes from my door.
o On which note; have a beer at the Ferry sometime. It's a day pub so decent grub and good for families, and you can sit outside and (literally, haha) drink in that view. There's also a big rock which denotes that spot as a speaker's corner, if you fancy getting up on your soapbox about something!

o The beaches! I had no idea! Miles of sandy beaches stretching off into (almost) infinity is not something I'd associated with Liverpool but - wow. My friend visited by car which meant we could pop to Leasowe beach and have fish and chips at the Green Hut (highly, highly recommended, oustanding food, entertaining bird life that will - alongside your children - steal chips off you and a sort of fun retirement home vibe among the clientelle) and just had a thoroughly lovely time.

o Bidston Moss - not only is it outstandingly beautiful and a lovely, peaceful place to walk, it has a windmill and a really interesting story behind it. I won't tell you it - go and read it for yourself! It's on a plaque on the windmill.

o Liverpool and Merseyside are much more beautiful than I'd thought. I hadn't thought they were ugly, not by any means, but I was expecting something a bit more like I remember Manchester being, or Birmingham - some nice parts, IE the Three Graces, but mostly a mix of terraced housing with the odd brutalist block thrown in. Boy was I wrong! The whole area feels much more unified, architecturally, than somewhere like London does because so much of it was build within a particular timespan, that sort of glory era of late 18th C to early 20th C - Georgian and Victorian era buildings all over the place. It's not quite breathtaking, but it's hands down the most intertesting city in terms of architecture that I've visited in the UK.

o History is everywhere! There are so many interesting quirks, firsts, eras and - well, again I don't need to tell you about it, see it for yourself, or come and visit...

o Wallasey library - very close to where I live is the loveliest library I've ever been to. Again, a fantastic building with a playground next to it and a cemetery behind it. What a concept! A library with a playground next to it, what possible better place to spend time with kids?

o The people! Ultimately it's the people that really make up the spirit of any place and the people here are fantastic. It's so nice to feel able to share a comment or a moment with a complete stranger who happens to be next to you, and Merseysiders are so receptive to these moments, they're actively encouraged and it makes you feel welcome and part of the wider fabric of your community in a way that simply cannot exist in a place like London.

o The Scouse vernacular is incredible. I love it. Not just because it's fun to listen to but because the implied concepts behind the vernacular are often phenomenal too. I'll give two examples:
Boss as a synonym for good.

- Boss = someone in charge, in control, someone who manages, who leads.
- Made up as a synonym for happy = I'm invented. I'm created. I'm a story or a picture that came out of nothing yet exists here in front of you. The whole meaning of life is contained within that one phrasal verb. What a very enlightened place this is! (and it's there in the name. Liverpool = Live Pool = Loop Evil if you play it backwards. Like on a record! There literally is a satanic message if you play Liverpool backwards, lol!).

o I could go on and on for days about how much I love Liverpool (and hell, why not? If you want me to just drop me a message and we'll go for a drink and a walk and a talk in and around the Ferry, I'd share this place with anyone as long as they're happy for my kids to come along too!) but I'll leave with one last thing:

The music! I work in a small office of maybe 20 staff and I met more musicians after a week in that office that I did in around 20 years of living in London. No wonder Liverpool has been so musically influential! It's because perhaps 30+% of people play music in some form or another. Those public pianos are busy every day with people playing music. Every third person you meet plays music. Everyone knows multiple people who play music. You want live music at 11am on Tuesday morning? Being played to a pub full of people enthusiastically joining in? You can find it. In multiple places. Brilliant, just brilliant.

o I remember someone saying on here that Liverpool is ace and always has been. Absolutely bang on, that.

What a fantastic post, so glad you are really enjoying your time here and embracing everything the area has. You are right as well there are so many highlights, I love nothing better than hearing the fog horns on the river when I'm tucked up in bed. It's very ghostly but somehow comforting as well. As you use the ferry a lot dip into the Science museum at Seacombe, I know a lot of people who have gone and have loved it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2023, 03:09:24 pm »
I wish you all the best with your move

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #188 on: October 2, 2023, 08:56:09 am »
I wish you all the best with your move

Thanks mate and thanks to everyone else who replied to my earlier post. I am just under a week into my new life in Liverpool and I have no regrets whatsoever so far.

Although I have spent a fair amount of time buying stuff for my flat and doing other logistical stuff, I have taken a bit of time out to explore the city and surrounding areas. On Saturday, I had a lovely trip over to Port Sunlight and did a walking tour which I would thoroughly recommend. It's a nice place to walk around, there is a museum and an art gallery, and the tour guide was very knowledgeable.

I also managed to score some £1 tickets for the Philharmonic yesterday and am looking forward to hearing some Beethoven on Thursday. One thing that struck me was that during the hour and a half I spent queuing I chatted to the people standing next to me. That never happened when I was queuing for stuff in London.

I then had a walk round Chinatown and when I got back I opened my balcony window and could hear the bells from the Anglican cathedral ringing out loud and proud.

So I am really enjoying being in Liverpool so far and mainly thanks to this thread I have a very long list of stuff to explore over the next few months.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #189 on: October 2, 2023, 11:39:25 am »
Where abouts in the city did you move to?

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #190 on: October 2, 2023, 12:17:24 pm »
Where abouts in the city did you move to?

Hi Craig

Don't want to be too specific but I'm right in the city centre - about 5 minutes walk from John Lewis's.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #191 on: October 2, 2023, 01:20:51 pm »
Hi Craig

Don't want to be too specific but I'm right in the city centre - about 5 minutes walk from John Lewis's.

Haha, yeah no worries. I lived in the city centre for nearly 6 years until pretty recently is the only reason I asked. I was more towards Old Hall St sort of way.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #192 on: October 2, 2023, 03:42:42 pm »
Haha, yeah no worries. Put the kettle on, I’ll be round in 2.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #193 on: October 3, 2023, 12:23:13 pm »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #194 on: October 3, 2023, 12:34:41 pm »
I live in Manchester now  :-X

I thought they’d shut Strangeways?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #195 on: October 3, 2023, 12:39:23 pm »
I thought they’d shut Strangeways?

Kept the Craigways wing open...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #196 on: October 3, 2023, 12:59:31 pm »

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: October 8, 2023, 11:03:09 am »
That's lovely that HBHR

I put on Chet Baker playing Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding it made me feel so good
;D

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: October 8, 2023, 11:03:46 am »
Haha, yeah no worries. I lived in the city centre for nearly 6 years until pretty recently is the only reason I asked. I was more towards Old Hall St sort of way.
I work on Old Hall Street!

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2023, 05:40:25 pm »
I work on Old Hall Street!

I eat brekkers at Mangetout.

Nice sausages.
Kill the humourless