Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW - Atalanta v Liverpool - Europa League, Thurs 18 April @ 8pm  (Read 15764 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Napoli, Inter, AC Milan and Lazio all conceded 3 or more goals in at least 1 CL group game. Napoli and Lazio both conceded 3 in one leg of their last 16 defeats. AC Went on to concede 3 in a game to Rennes in the Europa League.
Atalanta have conceded 3 in 4 league games this season.
There's plenty of games with a side conceding 3/4/5 goals.

We shouldn't be going there waving the white flag off the bus. We should be going there giving it everything we've got to progress against the odds.

Us scoring 3 goals is by no means unfathomable if we get our shooting boots on.

We're less likely to keep a clean sheet than score 3 (assuming it's not a dead 0-0 type match).
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Actually quite confident we'll go through tonight. Last couple of results should kick the boys into gear and we know we've beaten them 5-0 at their place before. Early goal would be important here

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Alright, alright, time to get out of the recent malaise; 2 up inside 20 minutes tonight with the third and fourth coming in the second half.

Onwards Redmen. 
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
I have a good feeling about this one. We can turn it around  :scarf
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
Does anyone know if big Div has travelled with the squad?

If you're looking for omens, it's Div's birthday today. :)

Then again, it's also Milan Jovanovic's birthday. ;D

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
We're a fanbase that has seen a team containing Traore, Baros, Dudek and Smicer come back from 3 down at half time to a starting line-up of Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Stam, Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaka, Crespo, Shevchenko. Wall to wall greatness.

It'd be have to be some deficit for me to not think we've got a chance!

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
If you're looking for omens, it's Div's birthday today. :)

Then again, it's also Milan Jovanovic's birthday. ;D

Cue a diving header goal  ;D

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
Strange to say but seeing both Arsenal and Abu Dhabi go out yesterday has filled me with hope for tonight. We have nothing to lose.

Lets kick-start the rest of the season tonight!

I know it’s sounds stupid but not only has it given us hope, it’ll defo give the players hope. All to play for here

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp: Let's have repeat of Barca comeback
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp will evoke the spirit of their Barcelona comeback when he sends his team out to keep their Europa League hopes alive against Atalanta in Bergamo.
The Reds have a 3-0 deficit to overturn from the first leg if they are to make the semi-finals, a scenario which has echoes of their famous comeback to beat the Catalan side in a Champions League semi-final in May 2019 on their way to winning a sixth European Cup.
After that victory his players remarked about the stirring speech he gave in the dressing room before kick-off and Klopp said, although he does not yet have anything planned, he can use that brilliant night at Anfield as a reference point even though they will not have the backing of a home crowd.
“I usually don’t prepare these things like that, especially not the day before or four years before whatever,” he said.
“I remember I said, ‘If we fail, then let’s fail in the most beautiful way’. And that’s exactly how I see it again.
“After the game (last week) everyone in the stadium thought ‘that’s it’. Now it’s a week later I don’t think everyone thinks it is already decided
“We want to win the game. If we want to win, we better play good. If we play good, we have a chance to win it. Then we will see.”

Sky’s weird take on what Klopp said.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
When’s the last time these lost by 4 goals at home or even 3 to force extra time?

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
When’s the last time these lost by 4 goals at home or even 3 to force extra time?

Probably a while ago but when's the last time we lost 3-0 at home? :)
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Admire people's optimism here after a lot of people claimed we would smash United (twice), Atalanta would be done in the first leg and Palace would be easy ;D

Both the team and we as supporter's could do with some humbleness for a change.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Admire people's optimism here after a lot of people claimed we would smash United (twice), Atalanta would be done in the first leg and Palace would be easy ;D

Both the team and we as supporter's could do with some humbleness for a change.

:lmao

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Personally, a lot has happened outside of football that has put me in the doldrums lately (understatement) so I could really do with something to cheer me up big time - and I'm pretty sure that there's a lot of you out there that would also appreciated it as much.

As a result of the above, a bit of realism has kicked in and to try and take my mind off the rest of the shit that's happened/happening, I've been thinking about this all day and the conclusion is that the odds are so far against us (our fault entirely) that in our favour tonight is that we've absolutely nothing to lose. The games been written off by many so for me, there's absolutely no pressure, so to the lads over there: "Go out and express yourselves. Fill yer boots. Give it your all and have no regrets." Someone needs a gubbing. Make it them. A result tonight would be one helluva statement after the past week and mentally could seriously damage the others.

Cautionary note: Everyone knows we're capable of massive comebacks. Atalanta (no disrespect) are no Barcelona, nor are they prime Dortmund. They are however at home and 3 goals up for whatever reason so this makes it even more improbable, but also being away from home could work in our favour, but the omens are not great, so my expectations are set very much lower than normal, insomuch as if we don't go through, then so long as we don't damp squib tonight and go out limply, then we only have ourselves to blame and can't have any complaints.

IF we DO go through, then its another night of European history and we'll be dancing in the streets.

Hope that it's the latter, not the former and only by supporting this club and seeing what I've seen in the past means that I can even dare think that this is even an outcome for us... But that's who we are, isn't it?

Allez Redmen. What will be, will be.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

The away fans stand tonight, and it's sleeting, up the travelling reds! Balls of fucking steel!

Allez Allez Allez.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
A real free hit, pressure off the players, just go out and play your stuff.   
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Hopefully see Elliott in midfield for his creativity and pressing, and also his natural link up with Salah. Feels like this isn't a game for Endo so I'd use Mac Allister as a 6. His progressive passing from further back on the pitch could be crucial.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy

Later today
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Looking forwards to this. It’s going to hard and nobody, outside of us, will expect us to turn this around.

However we are well capable of pinning any team back and creating chances. I hope the TAA will make a big difference tonight.

Obviously we will have to avoid any silly mistakes (including red cards) but if we can pull back two goals then I think Atalanta will stop playing as a team but instead start playing as individuals.

We need to be water tight at the back and don’t leave space for them to play through us. Our midfield needs to win every 50/50 and our forwards need to take their chances.

Atalanta are not Real Madrid and we have the players to really hurt them. Hopefully it doesn’t go to penalties and hopefully we win.
#JFT97

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild

Probably last time we played them there a few years ago

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
C'mon lads!

I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Let's fucking do this Redmen!!

Online dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
Nothing is insurmountable, not with this temperature. Let's get that early goal and see how they react. I'm sure a lot of us have been thinking that some team is going to suffer when everything clicks. If there's one game where we want all those missed chances of previous games to finally go in, this would be the perfect game.

I believe. Do you believe!

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
There have only been a handful of fixtures this season where I’ve walked away and not thought “we could have scored four or five there”. The lads owe it to themselves to at least right the wrong of the performance last week. Getting through is a tall order but another game of weak, disorganised football will be inexplicable. Their heads could definitely go if we show our class, we can’t be sucked into another physical battle.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Jota deserves to start ahead of Nunez. Let's hope he's in the starting lineup today.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
Mo-Diaz-Gakpo
Szob-Jones-Mac Allister
Robbo Konate Virgil Trent
Alisson
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 06:37:31 pm by smicer07 »

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
Come on redmen! Positive attitude please

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
Mo-Diaz-Gakpo
Szob-Jones-Mac Allister
Robbo Konate Virgil Trent
Alisson
Salah was the one that should have got dropped if anyone IMO.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan

Got to stick with him and hope everything he touches goes in instead of wide.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Not a fan of that attack if true but get a couple up and bringing on Darwin and Diogo for 30-60mins would be pretty great.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Need to lay down a marker first half. 1-0 half time after dominant possession-based display would be no bad thing.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Not a fan of that attack if true but get a couple up and bringing on Darwin and Diogo for 30-60mins would be pretty great.

This.

Elliott too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
Forced Salah imo. Jota should be starting with Gakpo in his favoured left and Diaz right.

Lets hope it works out.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan

I think he should have been rested, more important games coming.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
I think he should have been rested, more important games coming.

I hope you’re joking

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
I hope you’re joking

No, PL>Europa.

Online Jay012345

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • How many topics?
Hope it works out, for me we are more dangerous with Jota and industrious with Elliot. Maybe they can come on later and cause havoc with Darwin.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
team please?

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan

Nonsense
Football is a lie

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Gakpo playing 9? Not where he's looked best recently.

Otherwise team is strong.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."