Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 215250 times)

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #2120 on: April 10, 2023, 03:46:27 pm »
They admittedly didn't spend much last summer, but the owners businesses (travel retail) were massively impacted by lockdowns and they've upgraded their training ground. Leicester also made a club record loss for 21/22. But he was given plenty to spend. Their wage bill has ballooned in recent years. As usual with Rodgers, his eye for a player in the market is suspect. Tielemans and Fofana are probably the only two successes he had while at Leicester.

Wasn’t Tielemans already there when Rodger’s arrived?
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2121 on: April 10, 2023, 03:53:54 pm »
Dean Smith. You can't be serious.

:lmao Bye bye.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #2122 on: April 10, 2023, 04:24:38 pm »
Wasn’t Tielemans already there when Rodger’s arrived?
On loan initially, became permanent that summer with Rodgers as manager.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2123 on: April 10, 2023, 10:37:54 pm »
 Dean Smith over Rodgers?

That'll be them in the Championship.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #2124 on: April 11, 2023, 12:19:41 am »
Honestly the lunatics really have taken over. Dean smith over Brendan Rodgers. So they take out a proven winner to be replaced by someone who did ef all. Amazing. Why?
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2125 on: April 13, 2023, 11:39:35 am »
The weirdest thing about Brendan is his instincts are his own worst enemy. He seems really good when he has to improvise and try to attack but as soon as things start going badly he reverts to a type of football that is terrible unless you're at a relegation type level. I can't speak for any of his time at Celtic but he seemingly never learns that playing dour defensive possession football is bad and gives bad results. This current Leicester team for instance are seemingly built to play in transition but that would expose them defensively so he won't do it. Ndidi never recovering from his injuries has been a big blow as well. Tielemanns and Dewsberry-Hall together are like having two Joe Allen's on the field. A lot of pretty passing but no ball winning or anything else.
I think he famously said during a bad run with us he was up til 4 or 5am some nights trying to figure things out.

Way too much over analysis, he second guesses himself a lot for me, last few months with us, we were on a good run during 2014-5 and then one bad result at home to united it comes crashing down and he starts trying different formations.

Felt like in his last few matches he was chopping and changing formations, a bad result always seemed to throw him out.

By the time he left us he didnt even know his best formation let alone his best team
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2126 on: June 13, 2023, 03:01:32 pm »
So it looks like Rodgers will be going back to Celtic then :lmao be so much back-tracking going on!

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1668617992001966082?s=20

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2127 on: June 13, 2023, 03:08:12 pm »
Every time I think about his time at Celtic I think about that story he made up told of that old woman who supported Rangers coming up to him in the street and thanking him for all he'd brought to Scottish football. Really funny fella.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2128 on: June 13, 2023, 03:19:23 pm »
So it looks like Rodgers will be going back to Celtic then :lmao be so much back-tracking going on!

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1668617992001966082?s=20

Oh they will love that, don't tell me he's going back to his ex-wife as well
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2129 on: June 13, 2023, 03:22:05 pm »

Oh they will love that, don't tell me he's going back to his ex-wife Colin Pascoe as well
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2130 on: June 13, 2023, 05:01:36 pm »
His stock has taken a nosedive after last season. A bit like Potter at Chelsea, if Rodgers had quit last summer he'd have been a lead candidate for the Spurs job. I don't think going back to Celtic truly benefits him although perhaps there is the realization that that a Top 6 PL job is likely beyond him for the forseeable future, if not for good

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2131 on: June 13, 2023, 05:57:33 pm »
Every time I think about his time at Celtic I think about that story he made up told of that old woman who supported Rangers coming up to him in the street and thanking him for all he'd brought to Scottish football. Really funny fella.

Big men, manly men, Rangers fans. They'd go up to Brendan with tears in their eyes, thanking him for all he had done for Scottish football.

His stock has taken a nosedive after last season. A bit like Potter at Chelsea, if Rodgers had quit last summer he'd have been a lead candidate for the Spurs job. I don't think going back to Celtic truly benefits him although perhaps there is the realization that that a Top 6 PL job is likely beyond him for the forseeable future, if not for good

Judging by Leicester, if Brendan took over a top six club, they wouldn't be top six very much longer.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2132 on: June 13, 2023, 06:00:50 pm »
Big men, manly men, Rangers fans. They'd go up to Brendan with tears in their eyes, thanking him for all he had done for Scottish football.

Judging by Leicester, if Brendan took over a top six club, they wouldn't be top six very much longer.

They'd be fine for a couple of years.  Then drop off a cliff.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2133 on: June 13, 2023, 06:10:03 pm »
"I'm very proud to be back here"

I wonder if he's taking Kolo ("he's a wonderful Human Being") Touré with him.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2134 on: June 13, 2023, 06:29:17 pm »

TBF, when he took over they were not a top six club either. They were in 12th.

They finished 5th twice and 8th in his first three seasons and won an FA Cup.

Rodgers is the type of manager that has shelf life but Leicester's downfall is a more complex story. They had a few bad transfers, didn't nearly invest enough when the core of the team was aging, and sold some of their biggest assets. The 21/22 transfer window was in particular was thier downfall.

Daka was supposed to be the Vardy replacement. Vestegaard was supposed to be the starting CB to replace MCguire and Soumare was supposed to be the next Ndidi. All three were busts.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2135 on: June 13, 2023, 06:52:39 pm »
Kolo is wonderful though.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2136 on: June 13, 2023, 07:20:07 pm »
Probably finished at the top level. Most top clubs will (and should) stay well away from him.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2137 on: June 13, 2023, 07:32:45 pm »
Probably finished at the top level. Most top clubs will (and should) stay well away from him.
Yeah, finished at the top level, being employed by a club that start next season in the Champions league, what a step down.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2138 on: June 13, 2023, 07:33:16 pm »
"I'm very proud to be back here"

I wonder if he's taking Kolo ("he's a wonderful Human Being") Touré with him.

Everyone should take Kolo with them, everywhere...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2139 on: June 13, 2023, 07:36:07 pm »

What's your definition of the top level?
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2140 on: June 13, 2023, 07:49:57 pm »
Yeah, finished at the top level, being employed by a club that start next season in the Champions league, what a step down.

They always start in the Champions League but don't tend to hang around too long.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2141 on: June 13, 2023, 08:37:48 pm »
They always start in the Champions League but don't tend to hang around too long.
That's irrelevant, it is the top level, there's nothing above it in club football.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2142 on: June 13, 2023, 08:59:08 pm »
The bitterness towards him on here is utterly pathetic. I wonder how many were in the ground chanting his name en masse after the our last game when he very nearly ended our elusive fight for number 19. Fuck all I'd say.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2143 on: June 13, 2023, 09:05:50 pm »
The bitterness towards him on here is utterly pathetic. I wonder how many were in the ground chanting his name en masse after the our last game when he very nearly ended our elusive fight for number 19. Fuck all I'd say.
Yeah, it's crazy, Hodgson was horrendous, in both his coaching of the team and how he handled himself, and the club in the media, yet Rodgers draws equal ire from some, absolutely baffling, still my most exciting season as a Red by far, yes you can argue blah blah blah Suarez, but that undermines the brilliance of so many others.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2144 on: June 13, 2023, 09:14:35 pm »
Every time this thread pops up I cringe a little, knowing when I open it up, there's usually people taking potshots at Rodgers. Don't understand it at all, genuinely weird and small-time behavior.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2145 on: June 13, 2023, 11:16:34 pm »
Agreed, he came out with some cringey stuff early in his career, and when he was with us, but I’ve always found the contempt he draws on here pretty unfathomable.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2146 on: June 14, 2023, 12:06:10 am »
As regards his time at Liverpool I don't have a problem at all. I think some of the revisionism here suggests he was nothing without Suarez but he brought in Sturridge, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Gomez, Ings, Lovren, Origi, Can, Allen, Milner, Clyne etc and improved us and laid the foundations for the current team in many ways. (That said he also brought in Balotelli, Benteke, Moses and Aspas)

I suspect Celtic, Swansea and Watford fans see him differently (albeit Celtic fans may be confused how they feel).

He's a decent manager. but there is something about him that appears to wear out after a couple of years.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:11:39 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #2147 on: June 14, 2023, 07:31:49 am »
There's nothing wrong with pointing out that Rodgers' teams lose intensity and direction after a couple of seasons, his last year at Leicester was horrendous even if there were mitigating circumstances with transfer restrictions after funds had dried up for the Thai owners. He still carries blame for Leicester's bad form, that team shouldn't have been anywhere close to the relegation spots. I am not confident that he would have prevented relegation had he not been sacked.

Saying that, there is a cringeworthy glee amongst a certain section of Liverpool supporters when they take shots at Rodgers and engage in the stupid, mindless banter that was made up by opposition supporters when he was Liverpool manager. It's pathetic and demeaning when our own line up to disrespect someone who's never (as far as I know) had a bad word to say about the club.

His Celtic move is a bit strange, but I suppose he was never in the reckoning for a top tier premier league job after how his stint ended at Leicester, so winning silverware is better than a job in the Championship. He really needs to show that he has progressed tactically in Europe though, can't keep making the same mistakes.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2148 on: June 14, 2023, 09:45:41 am »
92 clubs in the English league system. As of today, 11 of those 92 have a manager that has been at the club for 3+ years. 
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2149 on: June 14, 2023, 09:48:35 am »
Yeah, it's crazy, Hodgson was horrendous, in both his coaching of the team and how he handled himself, and the club in the media, yet Rodgers draws equal ire from some, absolutely baffling, still my most exciting season as a Red by far, yes you can argue blah blah blah Suarez, but that undermines the brilliance of so many others.

You've just been taking some swipes at him yourself!  ::)

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #2150 on: June 14, 2023, 10:16:31 am »
As regards his time at Liverpool I don't have a problem at all. I think some of the revisionism here suggests he was nothing without Suarez but he brought in Sturridge, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Gomez, Ings, Lovren, Origi, Can, Allen, Milner, Clyne etc and improved us and laid the foundations for the current team in many ways. (That said he also brought in Balotelli, Benteke, Moses and Aspas)

I suspect Celtic, Swansea and Watford fans see him differently (albeit Celtic fans may be confused how they feel).

He's a decent manager. but there is something about him that appears to wear out after a couple of years.

Rodgers certainly worked well for a while and made the most of what he had. Put the 2019-20 defence in the 2013-14 team, and they would have cruised to the title.

As for your rum transfers list... Nothing wrong with Aspas, as his post-LFC career has shown, in spades. He was unlucky to be around when the Sturridge/Suarez/Sterling axis was on a phenomenal roll. And Moses was a loan that didn't work out, but he was hardly a disaster.

Balotelli and Benteke, on the other hand... Stripping Rodgers of Suarez, (effectively) Sturridge and (eventually) Sterling was always going to be fatal without adequate replacements. Balotelli, Benteke (and Lambert) were anything but. As for poor old Fabio Borini...

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2151 on: June 14, 2023, 10:40:08 am »
Rodgers certainly worked well for a while and made the most of what he had. Put the 2019-20 defence in the 2013-14 team, and they would have cruised to the title.

As for your rum transfers list... Nothing wrong with Aspas, as his post-LFC career has shown, in spades. He was unlucky to be around when the Sturridge/Suarez/Sterling axis was on a phenomenal roll. And Moses was a loan that didn't work out, but he was hardly a disaster.

Balotelli and Benteke, on the other hand... Stripping Rodgers of Suarez, (effectively) Sturridge and (eventually) Sterling was always going to be fatal without adequate replacements. Balotelli, Benteke (and Lambert) were anything but. As for poor old Fabio Borini...

I am one of those people that never really took to Rodgers. Having said that I must admit that watching the reds that season was IMO the most entertaining we've ever been. Rodgers must swallow his arrogance/ego and let a sporting director shape the team for him as he's excellent at coaching a team but when it comes to team building, he's clueless. Only then we can judge if he's effective in the long term.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2152 on: June 14, 2023, 10:43:53 am »

Leicester were 12th when he got there after finishing 12th and 9th the seasons before. He's significantly improved the last four clubs he's been at, he just hasn't been able to maintain it long term (as many managers don't).

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2153 on: June 14, 2023, 10:50:32 am »
Leicester were 12th when he got there after finishing 12th and 9th the seasons before. He's significantly improved the last four clubs he's been at, he just hasn't been able to maintain it long term (as many managers don't).

Away with your logic when I'm trying to make jokes! ;D

More seriously, Rodgers is a decent enough manager but he clearly has a ceiling. His problem is that he doesn't seem to realise that. That's not a reflection on him though. You only have to look at the revolving door at United to see money doesn't guarantee success if you have the wrong manager. The issue is smaller clubs feel their manager's mistakes more keenly.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2154 on: June 14, 2023, 11:18:09 am »

Good post. He also won the FA Cup for Leicester which they hadn't won before in 137 years.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2155 on: June 14, 2023, 12:20:25 pm »
More seriously, Rodgers is a decent enough manager but he clearly has a ceiling. His problem is that he doesn't seem to realise that. That's not a reflection on him though. You only have to look at the revolving door at United to see money doesn't guarantee success if you have the wrong manager. The issue is smaller clubs feel their manager's mistakes more keenly.
I don't know if it's a ceiling so much as an expiration date, and that holds true with almost every manager in the world. It's been almost a decade since Conte lasted three seasons anywhere, same with Tuchel. Rodgers' CV means he deserves a chance at a big established club IMO, and winning things in the second season and getting sacked in the third wouldn't change that.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2156 on: June 14, 2023, 12:28:16 pm »
I'm surprised he looks like he's going back to Celtic but maybe he likes the easy win.  I thought he might challenge himself a bit more by either managing abroad or going to a Crystal Palace level team in the Premier League.

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #2157 on: June 14, 2023, 01:41:04 pm »
I am one of those people that never really took to Rodgers. Having said that I must admit that watching the reds that season was IMO the most entertaining we've ever been. Rodgers must swallow his arrogance/ego and let a sporting director shape the team for him as he's excellent at coaching a team but when it comes to team building, he's clueless. Only then we can judge if he's effective in the long term.

T' Committee didn't count?  ;)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2158 on: June 14, 2023, 01:59:25 pm »
I'm surprised he looks like he's going back to Celtic but maybe he likes the easy win.  I thought he might challenge himself a bit more by either managing abroad or going to a Crystal Palace level team in the Premier League.
It's a handy career reset for him.  Realistically he's going to continue Celtic's recent dominance and, after a year or two, he can start casting his eye towards the Premier League again with the benefit of being able to wait for the right job.

If he went to Palace now and didn't do well then his prospects of another top job would be pretty much gone.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2159 on: June 14, 2023, 01:59:34 pm »

And wants to be at a club who will make the CL each year just to be in it, and at a club with a huge support that packs out their big ground every week and a club that are a focus point of their league and known worldwide.

He’s had a taste at one of the true giants of the game, even if it wasn’t at a successful time for the club, and the idea of then going onto clubs like Palace for instance just isn’t something he wants to do now. Going to Leciester made perfect sense, as it could have been a stepping stone to one of the big boys again. But as things went badly wrong there, that chance has gone.