Author Topic: Loan Watch 2018-2019  (Read 185380 times)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Loan Watch 2018-2019
« Reply #1280 on: May 12, 2019, 02:00:44 pm »
Wilson was very average yesterday watched him but Derby are a horrible side I’m surprised he scored so many for them. Literally long ball merchants. Would sell to be honest.

What’s that got to do with Wilson then?

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1281 on: May 12, 2019, 02:02:45 pm »
Kelly and Spearing? Dark days...

Academy players becoming regulars is such a rarity it's hard to draw many conclusions, but it does seem like going on loan is a bit of a death knell.

Out of all the young attackers we had a few years ago I thought Ojo and Wilson were the two most likely to make it. Wilson is doing well in the championship but it sounds like he's performing a bit like Shaqiri, in that he drifts in and out of games and occasionally comes up with a moment of magic. Given Shaqiri can't get a regular place in the squad would it make sense to also have Wilson in the squad next season? We've seen how some managers don't trust loan signings over their own players so it could be difficult to loan him out to a premier league team, so I'm wondering if it would be best to sell him now while his stock is high but with a buy-back clause, that gives him some time to settle at a squad and play regularly while giving us a chance to bring him back.

I think Grujic might come back next season too and back up Fabinho, now that Henderson has been playing higher up the pitch.

It’s common sense he would drift out of games, the team has no style of play and frankly fail to transition the ball to their forwards well, which is one of the reasons Wilson played in midfield for them, for the first time in his career, people need to have a bit more nous when judging players especially when not at top clubs.

Phase of play, poetry in motion, yorky posters I respect have pretty much all sod the same thing, so I would agree with them also if I was to have a shot in the dark.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:05:03 pm by Coolie High »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1282 on: May 12, 2019, 02:25:54 pm »
It’s common sense he would drift out of games, the team has no style of play and frankly fail to transition the ball to their forwards well, which is one of the reasons Wilson played in midfield for them, for the first time in his career, people need to have a bit more nous when judging players especially when not at top clubs.

Phase of play, poetry in motion, yorky posters I respect have pretty much all sod the same thing, so I would agree with them also if I was to have a shot in the dark.

Like I said he was one of the players I thought most likely to make it in the youth teams. It's a fair point on the way Derby play, but given how we like to have lots of pace out wide to run in behind I think that leaves Wilson as a midfield option, when we already have a huge amount of depth there.

Fabinho, Henderson, Grujic, Milner, Gini, Keita, Shaqiri, AoC, Lallana

I just don't see how he fits, you'd expect most of the above to get a decent number of games, with the exception of Lallana who may move on and possibly Grujic going on loan, and most of those players would expect to play in midfield.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him get a chance, it's just hard to see that happening with the level we're at unless he has a great season elsewhere at premier league level first.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1283 on: May 12, 2019, 02:33:30 pm »
Grujic header at 1:10 in Hertha's win yesterday.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eT5JPDN2mD0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eT5JPDN2mD0</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1284 on: May 12, 2019, 02:40:10 pm »
Think Kent's got more chance of a future at the club than Wilson does, in all honesty.

Good pace, two footed, works hard. Obviously you need that bit extra, but I'd be happy if we gave him a chance.

You can't judge players in the Scottish league, Wilson is playing in a much tougher competition.  I'd love Kent to make it with us because I'm a huge mark for genuinely two-footed players, but I would be amazed if we didn't sell him this summer.  He's got the potential to be a decent player but he's really inconsistent and needs a lot more first-team football with this stage before we'd even consider him in the team.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Gerswatch

• Main Stander
« Reply #1285 on: May 12, 2019, 03:36:45 pm »
You can't judge players in the Scottish league, Wilson is playing in a much tougher competition.  I'd love Kent to make it with us because I'm a huge mark for genuinely two-footed players, but I would be amazed if we didn't sell him this summer.  He's got the potential to be a decent player but he's really inconsistent and needs a lot more first-team football with this stage before we'd even consider him in the team.

I think the main issue with Kent that will stop him making it at a higher level is his final decision making at times. Seen evidence of it again today where he gets a ball played to him in the opposition box in plenty of space. Instead of just taking the ball and hitting a shot he tried some strange back heel flick that ended up with him losing it.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #1286 on: May 12, 2019, 04:02:51 pm »
Wilson was very average yesterday watched him but Derby are a horrible side I’m surprised he scored so many for them. Literally long ball merchants. Would sell to be honest.

He really wasn’t.  He was Derby’s main creative force and set up the penno they should have got, which he would have no doubt scored.  Sometimes I wonder if people expect Messi II

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1287 on: May 12, 2019, 06:33:04 pm »
He really wasn’t.  He was Derby’s main creative force and set up the penno they should have got, which he would have no doubt scored.  Sometimes I wonder if people expect Messi II

Agreed I thought he was pretty good yesterday. Its hard to assess how he would fit in with us as Derby don't remotely play the same brand of football so just Looking forward to seeing him in pre-season  :)

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: May 12, 2019, 10:21:29 pm »
I don't think there is a single player out on loan who will return and be a member of the first team squad. But we'll make some decent money through sales.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1289 on: May 12, 2019, 11:00:29 pm »
I don't think there is a single player out on loan who will return and be a member of the first team squad. But we'll make some decent money through sales.

Not sure that's totally true, Grujic would offer some depth behind Fabinho and allow Henderson to continue to play higher up the pitch. That could leave our midfield a bit heavy on numbers, but I imagine AoC will take a long time to get back up to speed and we'll rotate a bunch.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1290 on: May 12, 2019, 11:06:44 pm »
like I said derby got bossed in possession for the whole game at home. It’s more of a lampard dig then a Wilson criticism. Hopefully he makes it here.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1291 on: May 12, 2019, 11:09:07 pm »
What’s that got to do with Wilson then?
nothing really just shocked by the standard of the championship outside the top 4 spot. More of a clueless Lampard thought behind that post.

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1292 on: May 13, 2019, 01:06:54 pm »
Not sure that's totally true, Grujic would offer some depth behind Fabinho and allow Henderson to continue to play higher up the pitch. That could leave our midfield a bit heavy on numbers, but I imagine AoC will take a long time to get back up to speed and we'll rotate a bunch.

I don't think you'd ever see Grujic play as the 6 for us. For some reason Warnock played him there for Cardiff but at Hertha he plays alongside a midfielder who is more defensive. When he's played for us it's been a more attacking role. There are two other midfield spots and he’d have to picked ahead of Keita, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Ox, Milner and likely a high profile summer signing.

Unless early and substantial offers come in for the like of Grujic and Wilson I expect them to be there on the first day of pre-season. But come the start of the season I’d be surprised if they had not moved somewhere permanently or on loan.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1293 on: May 13, 2019, 01:27:32 pm »
I don't think you'd ever see Grujic play as the 6 for us. For some reason Warnock played him there for Cardiff but at Hertha he plays alongside a midfielder who is more defensive. When he's played for us it's been a more attacking role. There are two other midfield spots and he’d have to picked ahead of Keita, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Ox, Milner and likely a high profile summer signing.

Unless early and substantial offers come in for the like of Grujic and Wilson I expect them to be there on the first day of pre-season. But come the start of the season I’d be surprised if they had not moved somewhere permanently or on loan.

Skjelbred?
Grujic's defensive stats were a lot better than his,in fact better than any cm they have as well as winning over 3 headers/game and scoring 1 in 4.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1294 on: May 13, 2019, 03:36:05 pm »
Skjelbred?
Grujic's defensive stats were a lot better than his,in fact better than any cm they have as well as winning over 3 headers/game and scoring 1 in 4.

Most recently yes, Skjelbred.

Not surprised his stats are better because he is better than any of the other CMs there. But that's not saying much. If you look at the heat maps of Grujic and his midfield partner I'm sure they will show that he plays slightly higher up the pitch. He's never looked to me as someone who has the defensive intelligence to play as the deepest midfielder. I don't think he's a viable backup to Fabinho but if he comes back to pre-season and is looking as good or better than the players I mentioned above in training then maybe he'll be seen an option as the 8. But personally I think our squad and our aspirations have evolved faster than he has.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1295 on: May 13, 2019, 03:59:23 pm »
Most recently yes, Skjelbred.

Not surprised his stats are better because he is better than any of the other CMs there. But that's not saying much. If you look at the heat maps of Grujic and his midfield partner I'm sure they will show that he plays slightly higher up the pitch. He's never looked to me as someone who has the defensive intelligence to play as the deepest midfielder. I don't think he's a viable backup to Fabinho but if he comes back to pre-season and is looking as good or better than the players I mentioned above in training then maybe he'll be seen an option as the 8. But personally I think our squad and our aspirations have evolved faster than he has.

I guess we'll be a lot wiser come august,i'd like to see him stay,you don't.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: May 13, 2019, 11:36:12 pm »
I haven't watch Grujic at Hertha so maybe he's improved a lot but for me he's an 8.  In no way do you want him playing a 6 in our system, his passing is no where near good enough.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1297 on: May 14, 2019, 04:49:26 am »
I think the main problem with Grujic for next season is that he has been playing every game in the Bundesliga, so it's hard to imagine that he would be happy to come back just to mainly warm the bench.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1298 on: May 14, 2019, 04:15:03 pm »
I haven't watch Grujic at Hertha so maybe he's improved a lot but for me he's an 8.  In no way do you want him playing a 6 in our system, his passing is no where near good enough.
According to whoscored - admittedly not the best source - he's got a lower passing success rate than Fabinho (81% to 85%) but also scores more highly for key passes per game and scores more - which suggests that he's either playing the role more riskily or not playing as a lone DM. But certainly from what I've seen and heard of him he has no technical weaknesses there, passing is one of his strengths.

It also looks like he's making a lot of tackles and interceptions alongside that good offensive play, as well as being aerially dominant.

That's what I find intriguing about him - no, he's not the finished article yet but in terms of his attribute set he's an incredibly complete player. The only thing he doesn't really have is pace, but then neither does Fabinho. He's tall, dangerous in the air, an accomplished passer and seems increasingly able to use his physicality to win the ball. On top of that, he's got a very good shot - probably better than anyone else in our midfield at the moment. So physically and perhaps technically he's got the attributes to be able to dominate his zone, the kind of player who can, if he's able to use those attributes and if he has the tactical ability, give us a solid platform in both directions.

Moreover, he's young enough and coming from a situation where he'd likely to be happy with a solid squad role which, frankly, is all he's going to get right now with Fabinho as our 6, and with Henderson a) likely to lose his physical gifts in the coming years b) having played very well in a more advanced role c) likely to be needed at RB cover and d) needing very careful management of his minutes anyway then it might just be the perfect time for Grujic to get a chance to see what he can do here.

That said, he had a horrible injury this year and is also an absolute mainstay of that Hertha side, there's not necessarily an urgent rush to either bring him back or sell him when he's actually developing very well in a stable environment in exactly the position we'd want him to learn better.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1299 on: May 14, 2019, 04:20:13 pm »
I just think it goes one of two ways with Grujic, either he's here for pre-season, and remains a squad player next season to see how that works out. Or he's sold this summer. I don't think he returns for another loan anywhere. Hertha will have a new coach next season too (Ante Covic), Pal Dardai, a big champion and fan of Marko's, is leaving.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1300 on: May 14, 2019, 04:54:18 pm »
I just think it goes one of two ways with Grujic, either he's here for pre-season, and remains a squad player next season to see how that works out. Or he's sold this summer. I don't think he returns for another loan anywhere. Hertha will have a new coach next season too (Ante Covic), Pal Dardai, a big champion and fan of Marko's, is leaving.

Yep,i think that's the situation with Wilson as well.

Both have had multiple loans and aren't kids anymore,time to make a decision and i think we will.

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1301 on: May 14, 2019, 05:13:22 pm »
Has there been any of our acedemy guys go out on loan, come back and become a regular in the first team?

Jordon Ibe? Loaned out twice, and subsequently made several appearances for us before being sold.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1302 on: May 14, 2019, 05:24:33 pm »
Jordon Ibe? Loaned out twice, and subsequently made several appearances for us before being sold.

Had a great turn and scored in his last game here if I recall, then was promptly sold.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1303 on: May 14, 2019, 05:52:23 pm »
Had a great turn and scored in his last game here if I recall, then was promptly sold.
But, for a decent amount of dosh.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1304 on: May 14, 2019, 06:25:47 pm »
Pal Dardai Isn’t leaving but strangely staying as a youth coach

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:28 am »
But, for a decent amount of dosh.

rightfully sold I should have stated

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1306 on: May 15, 2019, 09:02:45 pm »
Wilson just scored a penalty to put Derby ahead in the playoff semi-final.

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
« Reply #1307 on: May 15, 2019, 09:29:04 pm »
Wilson is quality, far too good for the championship. We could do a lot worse than keeping him here next season as cover for the front 3

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1308 on: May 15, 2019, 09:41:50 pm »
Wilson just scored a penalty to put Derby ahead in the playoff semi-final.

He was heavily involved in 2 of the goals too.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1309 on: May 15, 2019, 09:59:27 pm »
He was heavily involved in 2 of the goals too.

They just said on Sky that he shows all the signs of being a top player
All good big game experience

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: May 15, 2019, 11:07:38 pm »
I’m a big fan of Wilson and have been tracking his progress over his two loan spells.

For me he’s clearly talented enough to be in our squad. Mo and Mane are not two players you want to rest much but they are not machines and it would do us no harm to have Wilson available as an option too.

It’s a big pre season for him. If Derby come up it would make sense to give him a years Premier League football there but if not I’d certainly take a look at bringing him in as a squad option

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1311 on: May 16, 2019, 04:49:17 am »
Won't pretend I've watched a lot of Derby this season, but from today's match I could see what people are talking about with how he struggles to be a constant presence in the match. He has fantastic ability when he has the ball, enough that he should be looking to be on it as often as possible. Hopefully a coaching or positional issue that is easily improved.

Looking forward to seeing how he performs in the final and in preseason.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1312 on: May 16, 2019, 08:51:38 am »
Won't pretend I've watched a lot of Derby this season, but from today's match I could see what people are talking about with how he struggles to be a constant presence in the match. He has fantastic ability when he has the ball, enough that he should be looking to be on it as often as possible. Hopefully a coaching or positional issue that is easily improved.

Put him in a better team and judge him then.

Derby aren’t terrible but it was frustrating to see how easily they squandered possession of the ball, especially the full backs. Decisions were always a fraction too late as well. Where Liverpool players get the ball to Salah or Mane early the Derby lads check and then it’s too late. I watched Wilson closely last night because that was the most interesting part of the game for me. He was constantly moving and taking up great positions, but the ball rarely came.  After a while you realised it wasn’t going to come.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1313 on: May 16, 2019, 09:09:12 am »
I watched both championship play off second legs and thought Wilson was at the same level as Grealish.

Don't know what that means but that's what I thought.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1314 on: May 16, 2019, 09:22:26 am »
I watched both championship play off second legs and thought Wilson was at the same level as Grealish.

He's younger and better than Grealish.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1315 on: May 16, 2019, 12:57:19 pm »

The whole two times I've watched Villa this season they've given Grealish an entirely free role.  He's not so good that any Premier League team would accommodate him like that - it's even contentious when the likes of Hazard are exempted from the team ethos.

I've watched Derby a bit more as my brother-in-law is a died-in-the-wool Derby fan and Wilson is tactically good.  As somebody else pointed out further up he has good movement off the ball.  I don't think it's any coincidence that his form dipped when Mount was injured and he was relying on Bradley Johnson or Huddlestone to play quick, incisive passes through the midfield.

If we didn't have Shaqiri - in many ways the Premier League hardened, internationally experienced version of Wilson - I think he'd have a chance.  But we do have Shaqiri and even he was very much bit-part in the run-in.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1316 on: May 16, 2019, 01:23:42 pm »
Grealish was wanted heavily by Spurs last season, and he would fit in because he has work rate to go with his technical ability, Maddison played a free role for Norwich and has had no problem fitting into Leicester for example. Both of those two plus Wilson and Brooks all have the talent to play for a top 4-6 side in my opinion.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1317 on: May 16, 2019, 01:39:19 pm »
The whole two times I've watched Villa this season they've given Grealish an entirely free role.  He's not so good that any Premier League team would accommodate him like that - it's even contentious when the likes of Hazard are exempted from the team ethos.

I've watched Derby a bit more as my brother-in-law is a died-in-the-wool Derby fan and Wilson is tactically good.  As somebody else pointed out further up he has good movement off the ball.  I don't think it's any coincidence that his form dipped when Mount was injured and he was relying on Bradley Johnson or Huddlestone to play quick, incisive passes through the midfield.

If we didn't have Shaqiri - in many ways the Premier League hardened, internationally experienced version of Wilson - I think he'd have a chance.  But we do have Shaqiri and even he was very much bit-part in the run-in.

The thing is that it is for Shaqiri for whom that role which he was given seems bit part, because he is an important player of their international side. But give that same 'bit part' role to Wilson and it would be most likely that he'd be fine with it. Wilson has fantastic link-up plays, I've seen him play really good through balls apart from his shots (having scored so many, he also hit the wood-work plenty of times). If he keeps that rate up, he'd be fantastic player even in the top flight. The problem is that Derby players around him can be a bit behind on game intelligence, they don't use him as well as they should. Also, Wilson spoke in an interview about how Lampard spoke him to do the David Silva role, playing deeper in midfield, just recycling the ball and that even lighter players can show their strength by shielding the ball with their body and stuff (basically also the Wijnaldum role). That coincides with his output declining during the middle 2-3 months in the season where he was asked to do stuff tactically that was completely new to him.

Now, he has more experience for all of that.

As for Shaqiri, I think it would be better to see what happens. We will surely not get any information on what happened when his role became lesser and lesser beyond December. Was it just an injury, or were there other problems. Whether we keep him or not, will depend on that and that information is only with Klopp and maybe his staff.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #1318 on: May 16, 2019, 01:47:37 pm »
Saw the playoff highlights and thought it was an assured and mature performance from young Harry in such an important game. Would be a win all round if he stays on as squad player - we save on transfer fees, get another academy/homegrown player in, gives a big up to the academy and other youth prospects.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1319 on: May 16, 2019, 02:03:15 pm »
The thing is that it is for Shaqiri for whom that role which he was given seems bit part, because he is an important player of their international side. But give that same 'bit part' role to Wilson and it would be most likely that he'd be fine with it. Wilson has fantastic link-up plays, I've seen him play really good through balls apart from his shots (having scored so many, he also hit the wood-work plenty of times). If he keeps that rate up, he'd be fantastic player even in the top flight. The problem is that Derby players around him can be a bit behind on game intelligence, they don't use him as well as they should. Also, Wilson spoke in an interview about how Lampard spoke him to do the David Silva role, playing deeper in midfield, just recycling the ball and that even lighter players can show their strength by shielding the ball with their body and stuff (basically also the Wijnaldum role). That coincides with his output declining during the middle 2-3 months in the season where he was asked to do stuff tactically that was completely new to him.

Now, he has more experience for all of that.

As for Shaqiri, I think it would be better to see what happens. We will surely not get any information on what happened when his role became lesser and lesser beyond December. Was it just an injury, or were there other problems. Whether we keep him or not, will depend on that and that information is only with Klopp and maybe his staff.

The noises were that Klopp found him defensively unreliable.  I remember there was a match when he came on as a sub and did well, but Klopp thought the team lost defensive shape.