Author Topic: Downing predicts bright Reds future  (Read 9618 times)

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Downing predicts bright Reds future
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2012, 09:10:23 pm »
I would never have put Stuart in the bracket of "Class" at any time during his career John. He`s been a decent left winger at times during his career. Nothing more. Never been class.

Heh, I think you're being a little pedantic with my choice of phrasing. It was a lot more succinct and catchy to write that then something along the lines of "Form is temporary. Ability, whether normally great or small; and good but not top end so far in the case of Stewart, is permanent." ;)

Stewart did well enough at Villa to want us to buy him and to play for England. Kenny choose to play him for a lot of the season. The problem I think is his confidence is shot and that's a real psychological issue for him. One bad season does not make a bad player though. If you saw Morientes when playing for us then you'd never have guessed his real skill. Same for Torres now, he's not even a shadow now of the most feared striker at his peak.

Hopefully Brendan can give him his confidence back and he can start performing again. If the strikers start converting the chances he creates (he was right up there last season) then that'd be a huge boost! We shall see though, I think and hope he will come good but until the season starts we'll not know.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2012, 09:49:51 pm »
Best fans in the world. With supporters like us, who needs Mancs eh?

Offline eireboy1

• Boys Pen
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2012, 09:56:32 pm »
Stuart Downing would need to start proving his worth, I dont think he will be afforded the luxury of another season like hes just had!!

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2012, 10:09:21 pm »
it's an internet forum.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2012, 10:17:15 pm »
London football fans.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2012, 06:03:23 am »
it's an internet forum.

You cant give internet forum as an excuse if you really support. It is an LFC forum.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline ArgImAPirate

• Legacy Fan
  • rat a tat tat
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2012, 06:57:10 am »
I'm not happy with Downing's contribution in a red shirt so far... but I'm not going to slate him for talking the talk. He's still one of us. So I hope he does what he says and has a better season.

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2012, 07:39:43 am »

What does 'Stewie' think about us? That's the burning question.
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2012, 07:44:37 am »
What does 'Stewie' think about us? That's the burning question.

Well, if he ever comes on here... probably not a great deal.
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline Kopitian

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2012, 07:56:21 am »
i'm not good with words..

but hes not good enough.

am i still a liverpool fan? :-\

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2012, 08:04:21 am »
I like him, i hope he pull's his finger out and actually starts doing something useful next year, he was good for villa and i think he'll reproduce his form eventually for us.. we just need another winger on the other side... its to obvious that were gonna put it out the left for downing or enrique they swing it in for carroll... if we have wingers either side then we have either option and not just looking for downing to put it in the box everytime.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline gb096

• Anny Roader
  • In Sunny Brisbane
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2012, 08:53:07 am »
I think some people need to look up support in the dictionary!! If you do not support the players that make up the team then fuck off and support someone else. There is enough hate in the world!!!

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2012, 09:00:15 am »
I love it when people start spourting out rubbish like support him because he plays for the team, I bet they are the first to single out and complain on other players who have played for the team like Babel, Riera even El Zhar - players who have performed much better then Stewie, but have never been given as much slack - does my head, how hypocrtical people are.
He is not good enough and I want him ti be sold.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2012, 09:06:37 am »
If he stays this summer i'm going with the mindset that maybe Brendan can get something out of him with more rigid instructions as to what he has to do. Tell him his job and drill it into him what's expected and you never know he may come good.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2012, 09:35:51 am »
I love it when people start spourting out rubbish like support him because he plays for the team, I bet they are the first to single out and complain on other players who have played for the team like Babel, Riera even El Zhar - players who have performed much better then Stewie, but have never been given as much slack - does my head, how hypocrtical people are.
He is not good enough and I want him ti be sold.

If you seriously think El Zhar has performed better for LFC than Downing then your opinion is void.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:43 am »
Makes me laugh this, people getting on their high horses, spouting off about supporting Downing. It's not about Downing. It's not about any individual. I haven't even read his comments. I don't give a toss what he says. I only care about his performances for LFC. The same goes for all of them. And, yes, I know football has became a media driven circus. But, if I had my way, LFC wouldn't be taking any part in it.

I'd like Rodgers to put an end to this continuious tub thumping. It makes us a mockery. I'm trying to think of the last time I heard Paul Scholes saying how good he was and how United would win the league. I can't think of one, that's probably because he's never said it. I don't remember any of our players doing it back when we used to win league titles. Maybe, they did. It's been a long time. So, I don't know. But I can remember plenty of big up statements since the last time we won a title. So, maybe it's time to stop blowing our own trumpet and time to put in the sort of effort that's required to win a league over 38 games. Because, I honestly don't remember Downing, or any one else, doing that last season.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2012, 09:53:50 am »
Looks like he may be a better clairvoyant than a winger.  Chances are we are going to improve given how we under-performed in the league. So Downing's prediction is going to come true and he may be about to hit the target for once.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2012, 10:03:28 am »
Heh, I think you're being a little pedantic with my choice of phrasing. It was a lot more succinct and catchy to write that then something along the lines of "Form is temporary. Ability, whether normally great or small; and good but not top end so far in the case of Stewart, is permanent." ;)

Stewart did well enough at Villa to want us to buy him and to play for England. Kenny choose to play him for a lot of the season. The problem I think is his confidence is shot and that's a real psychological issue for him. One bad season does not make a bad player though. If you saw Morientes when playing for us then you'd never have guessed his real skill. Same for Torres now, he's not even a shadow now of the most feared striker at his peak.

Hopefully Brendan can give him his confidence back and he can start performing again. If the strikers start converting the chances he creates (he was right up there last season) then that'd be a huge boost! We shall see though, I think and hope he will come good but until the season starts we'll not know.

Did he do well enough at Villa to make us want to buy him or was it just a case of him ticking the boxes on Comolli's spreadsheet about chance creation. Did he really earn the move to Liverpool or was it a case of him being a client of Wasserman Media Group the agents who look after Gerarrd, Carragher, Henderson and Enrique. Did he really earn the move or was it a similar situation to Robbie Keane another Client of WMG in which we had been made aware that the player was fully prepared to demand a move.

Funnily enough the two Strikers we were heavily linked with in January Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe are also clients of WMG. Do we really go out and scout players or do we just sign the players we are offered by WMG.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:50 am »
Makes me laugh this, people getting on their high horses, spouting off about supporting Downing. It's not about Downing. It's not about any individual. I haven't even read his comments. I don't give a toss what he says. I only care about his performances for LFC. The same goes for all of them. And, yes, I know football has became a media driven circus. But, if I had my way, LFC wouldn't be taking any part in it.

I'd like Rodgers to put an end to this continuious tub thumping. It makes us a mockery. I'm trying to think of the last time I heard Paul Scholes saying how good he was and how United would win the league. I can't think of one, that's probably because he's never said it. I don't remember any of our players doing it back when we used to win league titles. Maybe, they did. It's been a long time. So, I don't know. But I can remember plenty of big up statements since the last time we won a title. So, maybe it's time to stop blowing our own trumpet and time to put in the sort of effort that's required to win a league over 38 games. Because, I honestly don't remember Downing, or any one else, doing that last season.

Tub thumping?

Come on FS? - "I thoroughly enjoyed my first season and I am sure we will be better next year."

He's hardly fucking william wallace is he? Most people would agree that the lad wasn't up to scratch last season, and I think most people would agree with your points about courting media and talking shite, but I can't see how this can be applied to the downing comments which were gleaned from him in what was probably an FA instructed interview.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2012, 10:18:14 am »
Tub thumping?

Come on FS? - "I thoroughly enjoyed my first season and I am sure we will be better next year."

He's hardly fucking william wallace is he? Most people would agree that the lad wasn't up to scratch last season, and I think most people would agree with your points about courting media and talking shite, but I can't see how this can be applied to the downing comments which were gleaned from him in what was probably an FA instructed interview.
Read me post mate. I even said, I didn't read what Downing said. It's about us, as a club. How many years now have we seen our players issuing rallying calls before a new season, only to see it bollocksed by Crimbo?

I'd honestly put a gagging order on all of them.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2012, 10:23:59 am »
Yeah fair enough.

To be honest though I'd be very surprised and embarrassed if anyone related to the club was talking about the title next season.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2012, 10:24:48 am »
Read me post mate. I even said, I didn't read what Downing said. It's about us, as a club. How many years now have we seen our players issuing rallying calls before a new season, only to see it bollocksed by Crimbo?

I'd honestly put a gagging order on all of them.

can you blame them if they're asked a question by the press during an interview which is set up by the club/country?

what would you prefer they do? say 'no comment' then the press will take that whatever way they like 'downing not confident of liverpools future chances' etc.

believe it or not, the media can either be your best ally or greatest foe, and I for one would prefer them to be our ally's so therefore interviews would be essential.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2012, 10:27:33 am »
can you blame them if they're asked a question by the press during an interview which is set up by the club/country?

what would you prefer they do? say 'no comment' then the press will take that whatever way they like 'downing not confident of liverpools future chances' etc.

believe it or not, the media can either be your best ally or greatest foe, and I for one would prefer them to be our ally's so therefore interviews would be essential.

If you say no comment there are no quotes so they can't infer anything from what you haven't said.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2012, 10:30:42 am »
Agree with FS, do your talking on the pitch where it really counts.

As for him being sold? We'd be lucky to get half what we paid for him, partially as we paid too much and partly beacuse he was poor last season so I cant seem him being ditched just yet.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2012, 10:32:23 am »
Did he do well enough at Villa to make us want to buy him or was it just a case of him ticking the boxes on Comolli's spreadsheet about chance creation. Did he really earn the move to Liverpool or was it a case of him being a client of Wasserman Media Group the agents who look after Gerarrd, Carragher, Henderson and Enrique. Did he really earn the move or was it a similar situation to Robbie Keane another Client of WMG in which we had been made aware that the player was fully prepared to demand a move.

Funnily enough the two Strikers we were heavily linked with in January Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe are also clients of WMG. Do we really go out and scout players or do we just sign the players we are offered by WMG.
Downing was their player of the season to be fair, they thought he performed better than Young.

Offline IamSpartacus

• ThePerfectMealForYourPartacus.
  • Main Stander
  • Director of Remote Control
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2012, 10:32:48 am »
If you do not support the players that make up the team then fuck off and support someone else. There is enough hate in the world!!!

Classic!!
I, am the Illuminati!

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2012, 10:36:21 am »
If you say no comment there are no quotes so they can't infer anything from what you haven't said.

other than you've dodged the question... the media can make up shit.. didn't you know?

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2012, 10:36:29 am »

Fuckinell, how many times have I said what I'd prefer them to do... say fuck all.

The tramp down the road refused to even speak to the BBC for years. It didn't seem to do that shower much harm.

We're becoming a fucking laughing stock. But this is probably only going to get worse. Make no bones, one of the biggest reasons Kenny got the sack was because of how he deal with the media. I'd have bollocked him for it an all. I'd have told him he was being too soft. Sadly though, FSG are being sucked into this notion of the big happy clappy, media friendly, football family, global entertainment business. They'll want Brendan Rodgers to be all smiley nice, to slimey bastards with agendas to push. I hope the man is big enough to fuck them all off and be his own man.

And that's me last word on it now. I think I've explained me stance enough, and I'll do me best not to say it again when the next idle bastard says he's going to try harder and starts bigging himself up.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2012, 10:42:20 am »
Downing was their player of the season to be fair, they thought he performed better than Young.

I think Young running down his contract might of had something to do with that. Downing had a decent season for a decent side. He wasn't a young player about to burst onto the scene, he wasn't a top class player, he was a decent player who was prepared to come out and force through a move. In the same way other clients of WMG like Nick Barmby, Emile Heskey and Robbie Keane did.

None of them where world beaters but they were prepared to risk the wrath of their own supporters and push through a move to Liverpool. We need to get away from recruiting clients of WMG because they are prepared to do that and start bringing in real talent.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline bepoq

• a-lu-la!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2012, 11:00:31 am »
aye, FS, but regarding that Scholes point, which I completely agree with, it may be part of the inferiority complex that comes with not being able to make that final step up to the title (or, at the moment, however many steps it might be) or even to the point of being confident you'll put in a challenge, versus the confidence of knowing that even if you don't win it this season, the other mob'll have to go some to beat you and you'll be in next. I remember Mal Donaghy arriving for them and giving it the "we're going to win the league" and us all pissing ourselves (actually, I even remember some of the papers sniggering at it)—while, as you say, I don't remember any of our mob saying owt of the kind. Shoe's well on the other foot now eh?

read something once about it only ever being the person who regards themselves as inferior who says "I'm as good as you." The person/team who actually believe they are superior never feel the need to say it.

Edited because I forgot to say: I wish they'd shut the fuck up too.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2012, 11:05:50 am »
I'm supposed to leave a reason but its clear, the thread never got on the rails never mind off it. Liverpool player in press interview.
Yep.