Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 613867 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #3400 on: August 15, 2017, 05:03:15 pm »
news time.. and don't leave me here alone you bastards ;D

Cavaliers Fixated On Acquiring Young Star For Kyrie Irving

Kyrie Irving, Spurs Have Mutual Interest

Giannis Antetokounmpo Expected To Earn $7M+ Per Year On New Shoe Deal

Marvin Bagley Commits to Duke

Hornets To Sign Julyan Stone To Two-Year Deal

Russell Westbrook, Paul George Have First Workout Together

Norris Cole Receive $700k Offer From Maccabi Tel Aviv

and

NBA To Label Regular Season Schedule By Week For First Time

The NBA has announced their regular season schedule for 17-18.

The league’s 72nd regular season will tip off on Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017, and conclude on Wednesday, April 11, 2018.

In a new feature, the NBA is labeling its schedule by week to enhance the ability of fans to follow the 1,230-game season.  Starting with Week 1 and ending with Week 26, the weekly structure will help reinforce awareness of upcoming games and communicate key storylines.  Each week will run Monday through Sunday.

TNT will televise 20 Thursday doubleheaders and 11 Tuesday doubleheaders as part of its 34th straight year of NBA coverage. ESPN’s 16th consecutive year of NBA coverage will include 21 Wednesday doubleheaders and 14 Friday doubleheaders. 

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #3401 on: August 15, 2017, 05:08:14 pm »
Lakers and clippers both at home when in LA, pity both shite :D
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3402 on: August 15, 2017, 05:12:45 pm »
Lakers and clippers both at home when in LA, pity both shite :D

get a flight to Bay Area to catch up the Warriors mate ;)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3403 on: August 15, 2017, 05:29:41 pm »
I'm in New York between 7th & 10th Dec will there be any games there at that time?

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3404 on: August 15, 2017, 06:02:35 pm »
I'm in New York between 7th & 10th Dec will there be any games there at that time?

Most likely. Unfortunately the Knicks and/or the Nets will be playing  ;D
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3405 on: August 15, 2017, 06:03:15 pm »

Knicks:

Thu, Dec 7 vs Grizzlies 3:30 AM Sun is your game as they are in Chicago in 10th.

Nets:

Fri, Dec 8 vs Thunder 6:00 AM
Sun, Dec 10 vs Heat 2:00 AM
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:05:02 pm by elsewhere »

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #3406 on: August 16, 2017, 09:27:13 pm »
Most likely. Unfortunately the Knicks and/or the Nets will be playing  ;D

Haha! (ouch!)
 Cheers for the updates Elsewhere.  :wave
I like the idea of labelling weeks in the schedule. Subtle move but it actually does make it easier to keep track of dates, important week(s), etc.
Surprised they didn't already have something along those lines.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3407 on: August 17, 2017, 11:34:22 am »
It's crazy to see Bulls have 0 games on TNT this year, it felt like they played every Thursday last few years.
Also strange but not unexpected to see Lakers having many games this year but 35 seemed a bit high. OKC has a lot of games as well on national TV. Also looks like finally NBA decided that Knicks suck and not to show many Knicks games.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #3408 on: August 17, 2017, 11:40:46 am »
get a flight to Bay Area to catch up the Warriors mate ;)

Miss the home opener by a day....

Knicks:

Thu, Dec 7 vs Grizzlies 3:30 AM Sun is your game as they are in Chicago in 10th.

Nets:

Fri, Dec 8 vs Thunder 6:00 AM
Sun, Dec 10 vs Heat 2:00 AM

Making same mistake I nearly did with timezones, the Nets games would be Thursday and Sat evenings! Knicks are home Sun night.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3409 on: August 17, 2017, 03:36:57 pm »
news time.. and don't leave me here alone you bastards ;D.........

Cheers for the regular news updates, mate. Appreciate it!

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3410 on: August 17, 2017, 06:30:44 pm »
Cheers for the regular news updates, mate. Appreciate it!
Haha! (ouch!)
 Cheers for the updates Elsewhere.  :wave

Np guys and welcome to RAWK Matt, always good to see new members in NBA thread.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3411 on: August 18, 2017, 07:59:19 pm »
Antonius Cleveland signed a 1 year / $815,615 contract with the Golden State Warriors, including an annual average salary of $815,615.

so now we officially own Cleveland ;) Ultimate troll player, Golden State on the front of his jersey, Cleveland on the back ;D

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3412 on: August 18, 2017, 08:21:54 pm »
knicks tickets are insanely expensive too!

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3413 on: August 20, 2017, 11:14:31 pm »
Pacers File Tampering Charges Against Lakers On Paul George

The Indiana Pacers have filed tampering charges against the Los Angeles Lakers over Paul George. The Pacers traded George to the Oklahoma City Thunder on June 30th.

The NBA is investigating the charges but no wrongdoing has been found to date.

"At the request of the Indiana Pacers, the NBA opened an investigation into alleged tampering by the Los Angeles Lakers. The independent investigation is being conducted by the law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz. The Lakers have been cooperative and, at this point, no findings have been made. We have asked both teams to refrain from commenting while the investigation is ongoing.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3414 on: August 21, 2017, 07:57:49 am »
Antonius Cleveland signed a 1 year / $815,615 contract with the Golden State Warriors, including an annual average salary of $815,615.

so now we officially own Cleveland ;) Ultimate troll player, Golden State on the front of his jersey, Cleveland on the back ;D

Ha!
Pacers File Tampering Charges Against Lakers On Paul George
The Indiana Pacers have filed tampering charges against the Los Angeles Lakers over Paul George. The Pacers traded George to the Oklahoma City Thunder on June 30th.

Can't recall another team filing charges against another team on the bases of tampering.
If I was Indy, I'd have an internal analysis and try to work out how they went from being 1-2 players from challenging a formidable Heat team for the title of best team in the East, and now can't keep hold of their star player whilst seemingly dismantling the whole core of that team.

It's easy to point the finger at Bird, but something stinks in Indy. Only the Knicks can collapse faster than that, that's how low Indy have reached.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3415 on: August 21, 2017, 10:05:13 am »
Kyrie looks older without a beard :D

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3416 on: August 21, 2017, 10:20:33 am »
Ha!
Can't recall another team filing charges against another team on the bases of tampering.
If I was Indy, I'd have an internal analysis and try to work out how they went from being 1-2 players from challenging a formidable Heat team for the title of best team in the East, and now can't keep hold of their star player whilst seemingly dismantling the whole core of that team.

It's easy to point the finger at Bird, but something stinks in Indy. Only the Knicks can collapse faster than that, that's how low Indy have reached.

I did a bit of a research, it looks like tampering is only when a GM, head of basketball operations, owners, coach etc (pretty much any management staff) are involved. there were 3 teams punished for tampering back in 2013 who were all fined "undisclosed amounts".

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/9362896/three-nba-teams-fined-tampering-ahead-free-agency

"The Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by negotiating with Riley while he was the head coach of the New York Knicks. The Heat "settled," and avoided league-imposed penalties, by compensating the Knicks with $1 million and their first round draft pick in 1996."

The NBA would most likely fine the Lakers (if they were found to have legitimately been tampering), but if it's an extreme case, the Lakers could potentially lose draft picks (like what happened to the Timberwolves, link is below)

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/nba-joe-smith-illegal-contract-timberwolves

So it looks like penalties are usually cash settlement, draft picks and/or prohibit a team from signing the player or they can take away picks.

By the way, you are right about the management of Pacers, they shot themselves in the foot by not trading PG last winter, afterwards PG saying he was going to sign with the Lakers and devaluatinghis trade market didn't help.

If I was Utah Jazz, I'd definitely file it against the Celtics since the head coach was in contact with Hayward way before he was a free agent.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3417 on: August 22, 2017, 11:09:10 pm »
Cavs and Celtics talking Kyrie IT deal. Cavs will want more than him though surely.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3418 on: August 22, 2017, 11:25:41 pm »
Cavs and Celtics talking Kyrie IT deal. Cavs will want more than him though surely.
would need a fair few parts to match salary, unless horford goes in a multi team deal or brown/Tatum go to the cavs

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #3419 on: August 22, 2017, 11:37:23 pm »
Looks like it'll be IT, Crowder and draft pick(s) for Kyrie. Honestly, think that's a win-win for both sides. Cleveland gets the roster depth that they need to challenge GSW and future draft picks to rebuild from once LeBron leaves after next season. The Celtics get the bonafide superstar that Ainge has been craving for all year long.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #3420 on: August 22, 2017, 11:52:04 pm »
I am not really sure that the Celtics get better with this trade. Kyrie is obviously an upgrade on IT, but losing Crowder is huge. He is one of the more underrated players in the league and is on an incredibly cheap deal considering his value ($6m a year over the next three years I believe).
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
« Reply #3421 on: August 23, 2017, 12:01:19 am »
I am not really sure that the Celtics get better with this trade. Kyrie is obviously an upgrade on IT, but losing Crowder is huge. He is one of the more underrated players in the league and is on an incredibly cheap deal considering his value ($6m a year over the next three years I believe).
Yeah but they got Hayward to replace Crowder and the rookie they drafted Tatum also plays in that position.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3422 on: August 23, 2017, 12:21:52 am »
Nets pick too! Good deal for the Cavs this!

Unprotected too! Ainge got owned.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:31:35 am by pyroparty »

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3423 on: August 23, 2017, 01:10:52 am »
Celtics open the new season in Cleveland too!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3424 on: August 23, 2017, 01:21:23 am »
Kyrie is the better player, and defensively the Dubs are going to torch the Cavs even more. They have no chance of beating them, as much as I love watching IT play, he is absolutely defensively vulnurable.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3425 on: August 23, 2017, 06:14:19 am »
Kyrie is the better player, and defensively the Dubs are going to torch the Cavs even more. They have no chance of beating them, as much as I love watching IT play, he is absolutely defensively vulnurable.

As is Kyrie...his defensive metrics aren't great either. If you are high on Crowder, then you could argue that the cavs got better. If you're not, then this could be seen as the ''Lebron is leaving, lets stock up'' move.

At the very least. It gives the neutral an Eastern storyline this season.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Season 2016-17 Discussion
« Reply #3426 on: August 23, 2017, 07:34:30 am »
Certainly seems like it, though one never knows with Ainge.
Was a canny operator as a player, even more shrewd and canny as a GM.

What a GM.
Fleeced Cavs on that trade. Should have been straight up illegal for the way he stole Kyrie. ;D
Never liked Boston, but they're the best team in the East right now.
Love what Kyrie did. No need to stay as second banana and wait on Lebron's decision to commit or quit.
Why should he have to potentially deal with the aftermath of a Lebron exit, again. Not to mention the way the Cavs are pretty much Lebron's team with the media following his every tweet, sentence, grimace etc.

I may actually catch me a couple of Boston games next season. Always liked their coach and the way they played.
Meanwhile in New York....

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3427 on: August 23, 2017, 07:40:15 am »
It never works.
Trading an All star and one of the best players in their respective position, for a few okay players, never adds up.
We won't even be talking about Crowder come next summer.
Unless the Cavs make a few more trades, they're not getting past the Celtics.
Going from Irving to Thomas is a major step down for the Cavs. Lebron's been very savvy with his moves, on and off the pitch, but he made a mistake assuming he could hold the Cavs hostage for another season without making it clear what his plans were. At the very least, his go to teammate, Irving, didn't have an inclination of what might happen next season.

Bit miffed. Was hoping Irving would end up somewhere in the West (or at NYC!).

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3428 on: August 23, 2017, 08:17:08 am »
Celtics open the new season in Cleveland too!
This will definitely feel like early conference finals, i wonder what kind of reception Kyrie will get ;)
We may even see some hard fouls on him by his ex teammates.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3429 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:23 am »
I usually grade it by looking at who got the best player in the deal and i can definitely say i was never big on Thomas and Boston doesn't look like the loser of the trade but we have to give it some time. There is a good draft coming up and if Nets pick end up being 6-8, then yes Boston stole it but if it ends up 1-2, then probably Cavs got the best player in the deal. if Cavs come short this year, i think his decision to extend will depend on that pick. Also Crowder has been a solid starter for Celtics, they lost Avery Bradley and Crowder this year who are both solid defenders, i still think Cavs are the team to beat in the East
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:23:22 am by elsewhere »

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3430 on: August 23, 2017, 09:01:32 am »
I usually grade it by looking at who got the best player in the deal and i can definitely say i was never big on Thomas and Boston doesn't look like the loser of the trade but we have to give it some time. There is a good draft coming up and if Nets pick end up being 6-8, then yes Boston stole it but if it ends up 1-2, then probably Cavs got the best player in the deal. if Cavs come short this year, i think his decision to extend will depend on that pick. Also Crowder has been a solid starter for Celtics, they lost Avery Bradley and Crowder this year who are both solid defenders, i still think Cavs are the team to beat in the East

Mate you will walk through them without any problems, iT and Crowder are not changing that. iT is a midget, the Dubs are winning it again without problems if they get to the finals.

Disappointed, wanted to see kyrie at San Antonio.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3431 on: August 23, 2017, 09:52:57 am »
Mate you will walk through them without any problems, iT and Crowder are not changing that. iT is a midget, the Dubs are winning it again without problems if they get to the finals.

Disappointed, wanted to see kyrie at San Antonio.

Agreed, if only because I think there needs to be a serious rival to the Warriors just to keep the season interesting.
Though maybe he felt he would be a little too stifled playing under Pop.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3432 on: August 23, 2017, 11:24:39 am »
Quote from: me
Kyrie has been stone cold for them over the last 18 months but at some stage his decision making is going to have to be questioned. Pull up 3s early in the shot clock, settling for long mid rangers. There are too many guys in the league that are better defenders, more efficient shooters, and better playmakers than Kyrie for him to be considered adequate support for LeBron; as it happens, 2.67 of these guys start for the Warriors.

If I'm them, I'm getting Boston on the phone and asking about Jae Crowder, I'm asking about Avery Bradley, I'm asking about Khris Middleton, I'm asking about Paul George, I'm asking about PJ Tucker, I'm asking about Pat Bev. The blueprint from now has to be LeBron + Floor spacing Big + 3&D guys, then look for good temporary additions like Frye, Javale, Dedmon, McGee etc have been. I know he wants a playmaker and they should definitely get another one in case they go my route, but LeBron can supplement that by looking to refine his playmaking game past just drive and kick; he has it in him, for sure.
This was before the Kyrie request, straight after game 3.

-Isaiah is a more efficient scorer and a better playmaker. Might be a worse defender but you can't really be worse than Kyrie was in the finals.
-Crowder is a lockdown defender and a 40% 3pt shooter - 47% from the corners. Imagine him with LeBron? There's few players in the league who'd do a better job with more effort on Kevin Durant, too.
-D-Rose is the bench playmaker and with fewer minutes, he can put in a better effort on defence than we saw in NY.
-Isaiah definitely runs the floor better than Kyrie without LeBron. 'Cavs with Kyrie Irving ON, LeBron James OFF last season: -120 in 635 minutes.' -120? Unbelievable.

This is definitely an upgrade for the Cavs. You can't beat the Ws with defense, it just won't work. You have two offensive gods at the peak of their powers. Their third option is the best player on at least 10 teams in this league. You may as well try to outscore them. Is it enough? Probably not, but they'll be better than last season. And they'll trash Boston in the ECF again. Isaiah is known as Mr 4th Quarter, so it's easy to imagine him picking up where Kyrie left off in the clutch and compensating for LeBron's fatigue/hesitance to drive in those moments.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3433 on: August 23, 2017, 01:24:15 pm »
Agreed, if only because I think there needs to be a serious rival to the Warriors just to keep the season interesting.
Though maybe he felt he would be a little too stifled playing under Pop.
I don't think it was necessarily Kyrie's choice to pick Celtics but i don't think he will mind hence he waived his trade kicker. It was widely reported he wanted Knicks or Heat from the East or Spurs from the West but given that Knicks won't give away Porzingis, they don't have tradeable assets. Same goes for Spurs, their only asset is Lamarcus but Cavs have Kevin Love.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3434 on: August 23, 2017, 01:27:52 pm »
On another note, Cavs will save 30M in luxury tax payments next year after Kyrie trade. They will pay 49M instead of 79M, that's an overlooked part of the trade. For Dan Gilbert ;D

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3435 on: August 23, 2017, 01:35:36 pm »
I can't imagine Danny Ainge would have been overjoyed to pay a 5 year max contract to a 28 year old coming off hip surgery, and at some stage you've got to do something with all those picks and make a damn trade, so it makes sense from his perspective.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3436 on: August 23, 2017, 01:40:38 pm »
He wouldn't have got a 5 year max off anybody, Lowry has been better for years and got 3.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3437 on: August 23, 2017, 01:59:38 pm »
IT was basically the reason I began watching Boston over other teams, and essentially support them now. Will be sad to see him go, and I wonder does he even want to go? Guess it doesn't matter now anyway as the decision has been made.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3438 on: August 23, 2017, 02:16:03 pm »
Dont see how the Cavs are now better with IT against the Warriors.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3439 on: August 23, 2017, 04:43:13 pm »
Dont see how the Cavs are now better with IT against the Warriors.

They are not improved against Warriors but they are still a better team than the Celtics imo. Celtics will probably have to wait Lebron's retirement before seeing the NBA finals. Then again, by that time 76'ers might become the team to beat.