Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 613815 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Season 2016-17 Discussion
« Reply #3120 on: June 17, 2017, 05:11:00 pm »
On a related note, it seems like Magic Johnson really liked what he saw from Fultz in his workouts with Lakers and Lakers are considering to offer No:2 and Julius Randle to Celtics to move up to No:1.

This is going to be a fun, and interesting draft that much is clear. I think there will be lots of surprises.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #3121 on: June 17, 2017, 05:59:19 pm »
Draymond is a solid heel. Not enough of them in the modern game.

He's great.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3122 on: June 17, 2017, 06:15:02 pm »
On a related note, it seems like Magic Johnson really liked what he saw from Fultz in his workouts with Lakers and Lakers are considering to offer No:2 and Julius Randle to Celtics to move up to No:1.

This is going to be a fun, and interesting draft that much is clear. I think there will be lots of surprises.

He's a future all star is Fultz. I really, really like this kid.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3123 on: June 17, 2017, 06:44:41 pm »

Makes zero sense from the Boston perspective. Randle is an average prospect, especially considering the way the league is going. A 6'9" forward who doesnt protect the rim and doesnt stretch the floor past 15 feet and the Lakers can't even deal any of their first rounders before 2020, since they owe next year's to the Sixers and can't deal the 2019 one for the Stepien rule.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:46:57 pm by Gods_Left_Boot »
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3124 on: June 17, 2017, 06:47:02 pm »
Agreed, absolutely no chance the Cs settle for Randle if the Lakers want to move up one.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3125 on: June 17, 2017, 06:53:03 pm »
Jackson looks like a great two way player but I don't want to be going higher than 3 on a wing player without a 3 pointer, or any jumpshot at all, that isn't a visionary facilitator. We all know the way the game is going and his absolute ceiling might be similar to Jimmy Butler, who's a borderline top 10 player and nowhere near a generational talent because he's not a lights out shooter. On the plus side he has a higher floor than most of the other tier 2 prospects, and probably a higher floor than Ball too, but I'd rather reach for the stars.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: June 17, 2017, 07:02:37 pm »
then there's the issue of Isiah's new contract. You either pay 40M a year for a 5'9" guy until he's in his mid 30s or you decide to deal away your best player who's on an expiring contract.

Do you think somebody else will max Isaiah? I can't think who would apart from Boston (who, with their defensive guards have the best setup for him to excel).

Surely they could convince him to take a 3 year option next summer; this is likely his only chance of competing for a ring and even after those 3 years, there'll be the Knicks or the Bulls waiting to give him another two year contract.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3127 on: June 17, 2017, 07:13:43 pm »
Do you think somebody else will max Isaiah? I can't think who would apart from Boston (who, with their defensive guards have the best setup for him to excel).

Surely they could convince him to take a 3 year option next summer; this is likely his only chance of competing for a ring and even after those 3 years, there'll be the Knicks or the Bulls waiting to give him another two year contract.

He'll want the max and he'll get the max by the Celtics, IMO (and I'm really not sure it's a good idea). He's been undervalued and underpaid throughout his career, I'm really doubtful he'd settle for anything less.

As for whether other teams would max him... You really think that? I absolutely think that more than a handful of teams would be willing to give him that.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:15:33 pm by Gods_Left_Boot »

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3128 on: June 18, 2017, 03:05:45 pm »
The Celtics-Sixers trade for the top pick is reportedly all but completed, to be announced tomorrow. Boston would acquire the 3rd pick and either the 2018 Lakers pick, if it falls between 2 and 5 next year, or the 2019 Kings pick (both those picks are owned by Philly, obviously).

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3129 on: June 18, 2017, 03:07:04 pm »
He'll want the max and he'll get the max by the Celtics, IMO (and I'm really not sure it's a good idea). He's been undervalued and underpaid throughout his career, I'm really doubtful he'd settle for anything less.

As for whether other teams would max him... You really think that? I absolutely think that more than a handful of teams would be willing to give him that.

Could you name some of the other teams, apart from the Nets and the Knicks? Not sure Isaiah wants to waste away his career there. Kyle Lowry is as good as Isaiah and his max market seems to be just his hometown team Philly, maybe even Masai won't give it to him.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3130 on: June 18, 2017, 03:47:56 pm »
Could you name some of the other teams, apart from the Nets and the Knicks? Not sure Isaiah wants to waste away his career there. Kyle Lowry is as good as Isaiah and his max market seems to be just his hometown team Philly, maybe even Masai won't give it to him.

Now that's a different matter entirely, whether it would be any "attractive" team offering him that. Teams like Indiana, Orlando, Clippers (if they lose their core two this summer), Dallas, Denver and, at a push, teams like Chicago or Atlanta all would have max room next summer and would be in need for a primary scorer and probably talk themselves into offering Isiah the max.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3131 on: June 18, 2017, 08:54:36 pm »
Simmons, Fultz, Saric, Embiid. Damn, good youngsters to build from. If 76ers add some quality veterans and make the play-off's, this will be a good start.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #3132 on: June 18, 2017, 11:27:56 pm »
Simmons, Fultz, Saric, Embiid. Damn, good youngsters to build from. If 76ers add some quality veterans and make the play-off's, this will be a good start.

This same sort of positive outlook on the 76ers has been consistently trotted out for 4 consecutive seasons.
It's always "we've got a+b+c youngsters to build around from, we just need some quality veterans and playoff experience and we'll be a threat in the future".
Tell you what though, their owners have some fantastic PR set up. I actually believed it the first few times I heard it. ;D

This marks the 3rd consecutive season with a top 3 draft pick, their 4th time with a top 3 draft since 2010, their 5th top 10 draft pick since 2010, their 8th top 20 pick since 2010. You have to have been consistently horrendous to have maintained that sort of draft pick options, but as long as they can keep selling hope and promise for the future, fans will accept.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3133 on: June 19, 2017, 04:47:26 am »
Paul George has told the Pacers that he will leave them next summer as a free agent. Pacers attempting to make a trade with the Cavs according to ESPN.

If PG does go to the Cavs, I still don't see them beating the Warriors in a series.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3134 on: June 19, 2017, 06:17:21 am »
Paul George has told the Pacers that he will leave them next summer as a free agent. Pacers attempting to make a trade with the Cavs according to ESPN.

If PG does go to the Cavs, I still don't see them beating the Warriors in a series.

Really?
One extra ball handler, one additional elite defender that can guard 4 positions, one extra body to smother Durant/Curry/Thompson, one extra All Star for Durant/Thompson/Green to mark defensively,  and a bonafide double team threat that can actually enable Lebron and Irving to get some much needed rest.

Score may have been 4-1 but the last 3 games were close and we were a Durant miss/Irving bucket from it being 2-2.
As long as Irving or Curry aren't traded for him (as if) than he'll be an upgrade for them even if they lose Love.

How likely is PG to join them? I haven't read the details, what are they looking to give up?
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3135 on: June 19, 2017, 05:02:34 pm »
Now that's a different matter entirely, whether it would be any "attractive" team offering him that. Teams like Indiana, Orlando, Clippers (if they lose their core two this summer), Dallas, Denver and, at a push, teams like Chicago or Atlanta all would have max room next summer and would be in need for a primary scorer and probably talk themselves into offering Isiah the max.

I don't think Orlando move for him because he's not on their timeline of pre-prime players; they've got good pick in a deep draft and will likely build around Gordon/Payton/the pick (Tatum?). Dallas are maxing Nerlens afaik and have already maxed Barnes and I don't think their immediate prospects justifies going into the tax long term for Isaiah. Chicago, maybe, but they're probably trading Jimmy soon. Denver are building a team around Jamal Murray, Jokic and Garry Harris, so there's no chance they go in for Isaiah imo. Atlanta have made Schroeder their PG of the future and are already hesitant to give Paul Millsap the big deal he'd like, so I doubt they'd go in for Isaiah on a 30m a year contract when they barely have enough lined up to get Millsap and THJ back together after spending big on Dwight and Baze.

Things change and open up, but I really don't see a big max market for Isaiah; the only teams willing to give him a 5 year max would be those in immediate win-now mode, aka Nets 2012, and I don't see a team like that on the market right now. Toronto, Cleveland, Warriors, Spurs and Houston obviously wouldn't be interested. The only teams I could see doing it are Chicago maybe if they don't trade Jimmy, Indy maybe to get asses on seats after PG leaves, Boston, and the Knicks.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3136 on: June 19, 2017, 05:19:57 pm »
Nice analysis there, Shaved.
Can't see him going anywhere to be honest, though it would be madness if Boston signed him to the max. Or maybe my idea of a max player is now obsolete with all the big contracts signed these last few years.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #3137 on: June 19, 2017, 06:11:44 pm »
This same sort of positive outlook on the 76ers has been consistently trotted out for 4 consecutive seasons.
It's always "we've got a+b+c youngsters to build around from, we just need some quality veterans and playoff experience and we'll be a threat in the future".
Tell you what though, their owners have some fantastic PR set up. I actually believed it the first few times I heard it. ;D

This marks the 3rd consecutive season with a top 3 draft pick, their 4th time with a top 3 draft since 2010, their 5th top 10 draft pick since 2010, their 8th top 20 pick since 2010. You have to have been consistently horrendous to have maintained that sort of draft pick options, but as long as they can keep selling hope and promise for the future, fans will accept.

Completely agree. It confuses me why fans and the media go around talking about Hinkie as a genius.

The future looks bright for the Sixers, but there is no guarantees and they have thrown away 5+ years by intentionally losing. The 76ers could turn into a powerhouse and win 3 titles in the next 10 years, although it is way too early to call Hinkie a genius. The team has not won anything and their potential "big four" (Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, and Saric) has never played a minute together.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #3138 on: June 19, 2017, 06:15:19 pm »
I don't think Orlando move for him because he's not on their timeline of pre-prime players; they've got good pick in a deep draft and will likely build around Gordon/Payton/the pick (Tatum?). Dallas are maxing Nerlens afaik and have already maxed Barnes and I don't think their immediate prospects justifies going into the tax long term for Isaiah. Chicago, maybe, but they're probably trading Jimmy soon. Denver are building a team around Jamal Murray, Jokic and Garry Harris, so there's no chance they go in for Isaiah imo. Atlanta have made Schroeder their PG of the future and are already hesitant to give Paul Millsap the big deal he'd like, so I doubt they'd go in for Isaiah on a 30m a year contract when they barely have enough lined up to get Millsap and THJ back together after spending big on Dwight and Baze.

Things change and open up, but I really don't see a big max market for Isaiah; the only teams willing to give him a 5 year max would be those in immediate win-now mode, aka Nets 2012, and I don't see a team like that on the market right now. Toronto, Cleveland, Warriors, Spurs and Houston obviously wouldn't be interested. The only teams I could see doing it are Chicago maybe if they don't trade Jimmy, Indy maybe to get asses on seats after PG leaves, Boston, and the Knicks.

Good summary of the situation. He is a great offensive talent and a scorer, but if I am a GM, there is no way I am giving him the max solely because of his ability on defense.

This would never happen because of the hype around him after this year, but would make a fantastic 6th man on a competitor.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3139 on: June 19, 2017, 06:39:15 pm »
BOSTON – The Boston Celtics announced today that they have acquired the third overall selection of the 2017 NBA Draft and the favorably-protected rights to a future first round pick from the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for the first overall pick in this year’s draft.

The future first round pick will be the Los Angeles Lakers’ 2018 pick if it’s within the No. 2 to No. 5 range of the 2018 draft. If it is not, the Celtics will instead receive either Sacramento’s or Philadelphia’s first round pick in 2019, whichever is more favorable. However, if either of those 2019 picks result in the first overall selection, Boston will instead receive the other first round pick.

“We’re thrilled to be able to select what we expect be an impact player with the third pick in this year’s very talented draft class, while also adding a highly valuable future asset as we continue to build towards Banner 18,” said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge.

With the acquisition of these two first round picks, the Celtics now potentially own the rights to seven first round selections over the next three years, including picks from Brooklyn (2018), Memphis (2019, protected 1-8), and the LA Clippers (2019, protected 1-14).

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3140 on: June 19, 2017, 06:57:31 pm »
Seeing as Boston have probably passed on Fultz and are unlikely, imo, to take Fox or DSJ at 3, it would seem that they're fine with Isaiah in the medium term.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3141 on: June 19, 2017, 07:10:35 pm »
Certainly seems like it, though one never knows with Ainge.
Was a canny operator as a player, even more shrewd and canny as a GM.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3142 on: June 20, 2017, 01:01:39 am »
Really?
One extra ball handler, one additional elite defender that can guard 4 positions, one extra body to smother Durant/Curry/Thompson, one extra All Star for Durant/Thompson/Green to mark defensively,  and a bonafide double team threat that can actually enable Lebron and Irving to get some much needed rest.

Score may have been 4-1 but the last 3 games were close and we were a Durant miss/Irving bucket from it being 2-2.
As long as Irving or Curry aren't traded for him (as if) than he'll be an upgrade for them even if they lose Love.

How likely is PG to join them? I haven't read the details, what are they looking to give up?

I'm not sure, but more than likely Love plus a bench player or two. As far as PG making the Cavs better, yes I agree, they will be better, but too much iso to beat a team that has exceptional movement and shooting. I feel that the Dubs will be even more confident if they meet again than they were this time around.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3143 on: June 20, 2017, 08:52:46 am »

To be fair Embiid and Simmons each missed a season but you're right, time for them to make the play-off's now in that weak East.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3144 on: June 20, 2017, 10:12:31 am »
Cleveland fire GM Griffin to bring in fresh new ideas/leadership/change to better their team. Bulls on the other hand stick with a incompetent GM.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #3145 on: June 20, 2017, 11:49:25 am »
Hope Pritchard pulls a stunner in a trade but really, what are the odds of it? PG has left us with no leverage.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3146 on: June 20, 2017, 06:06:15 pm »
Damn, Knicks considering to trade Porzingis.
If it happens, Phil Jackson will officially be public enemy #1 for Knicks fans.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3147 on: June 20, 2017, 06:28:31 pm »
Isn't he public enemy # 1 now anyway? But WOW if that does happen Knicks fans will have his head.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: June 20, 2017, 06:31:04 pm »
Jimmy Butler Could Push Bulls For Trade To Cavaliers

Phil Jackson Doesn't Consider Kristaps Porzingis Untouchable

Rockets To Offer Full Four-Year $168M Extension To James Harden

Wolves Sell Jersey Sponsorship To Fitbit

David Lee To Decline $1.6M Option With Spurs

Magic Agree To Jersey Sponsorship With Disney

Cavs Found Lottery Pick In Exchange For Kevin Love Possibly From Suns

Pau Gasol Declines $16.2M Option With Spurs, Intends To Re-Sign On Longer Deal

David Griffin Was One Of NBA's Lowest Paid GMs At Under $2M

Dwyane Wade Likely To Stay With Bulls On $24M Player Option

Aron Baynes Declines $6.5M Player Option With Pistons

Lakers Offering D'Angelo Russell In Hopes Of Drafting Luke Kennard Or Zach Collins

Jimmy Butler, Dwyane Wade Prefer Bulls To Move On From Rajon Rondo

Cavs Found Lottery Pick In Exchange For Kevin Love Possibly From Suns

Knicks Had Opportunity To Sign Chris Paul If Not For Alienation Of Carmelo

Celtics Interested In Trading For Kristaps Porzingis

Pacers Had Interest In Jrue Holiday, Danilo Gallinari

Cavaliers Attempting To Trade For Jimmy Butler

Report: LeBron James' Wife Wants To Live In Los Angeles Full Time

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:34:13 pm by elsewhere »

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #3149 on: June 20, 2017, 08:10:32 pm »
Hard to top Dolan, who probably has final say in these things too.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3150 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:03 pm »
Hard to top Dolan, who probably has final say in these things too.

I seriously sometimes thing PJ is trying to get himself fired and get that last big check. I won't be surprised if Dolan approves whatever Phil Jackson agrees to. Up to now, he didn't veto anything he offered.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3151 on: June 20, 2017, 08:34:47 pm »
Also 4 years 168M for Harden.. i know the new CBA and all but damn, 42 million a year for that play off choker.. He sure earnt it in game 6 against the Spurs ;)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3152 on: June 20, 2017, 10:17:07 pm »
CJ McCollum on Warriors criticism:

"I think that’s garbage man. They have done things the right. It’s not like they cheated. They drafted well, developed players within – Steph, Klay, Draymond. Those players were drafted then they bring in an outsider in KD, who was a free agent that had every right to sign with whatever team he wanted. I don’t understand how that’s considered bad for the game. If anything, other teams need to get better and need to figure out ways to execute trades, to execute the draft, develop players internally, and try to put something together.”

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: June 20, 2017, 10:42:33 pm »
That is disgusting.

The sooner Jackson is out of the organisation the better,really irks me how he thinks he can run a NYC franchise from his plush beach house in California.

He'll probably trade him to the Lakers with nothing of worth in return.

Can some gazillionaire please buy the Knicks please and clean house and get the best people in the front office.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3154 on: June 20, 2017, 10:49:40 pm »
Rumour is the knicks want something ridiculous for porzingis tho

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3155 on: June 20, 2017, 11:11:00 pm »
Mozgov and D'angelo for Brook Lopez  :o

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3156 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:22 pm »
Lakers trade D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov to Nets for Brook Lopez and 27th pick.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3157 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:04 pm »
Mozgov and D'angelo for Brook Lopez  :o

They are clearing cap space for next summer by offloading Mozgov's bad contract. Russell is a talented player, but with the expected arrival of Lonzo Ball, his role would have been limited.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3158 on: June 20, 2017, 11:57:45 pm »
Also 4 years 168M for Harden.. i know the new CBA and all but damn, 42 million a year for that play off choker.. He sure earnt it in game 6 against the Spurs ;)
Top 6 player at worst

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3159 on: June 20, 2017, 11:58:29 pm »
Lakers trade D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov to Nets for Brook Lopez and 27th pick.

Jesus fuck

Brutal from the Nets